Mysterious - 6

Traits
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon drove Tiffany to one of the hotels Tiffany’s family own. They didn’t say anything but bidding goodnight to each other. Taeyeon was reluctant to hug Tiffany, afraid she would hurt the woman even more with such separation so she followed her logic, letting Tiffany out from her car silently. Taeyeon lowered the window and Tiffany bended her body a bit, waving her hand and showed her a forced smile before she entered the hotel lobby.

 

Tiffany was honest when she said she couldn’t stay in one place with Taeyeon for the night for she was still too shocked with the sudden announcement and how she was no longer Taeyeon’s girlfriend starting tonight. Tiffany was wrecked, her heart was shattered, and yet all she could do was crying for she did this to herself, to them. She was the one who actually broke them apart. If only she wasn’t that petty and narrow minded, able to give Taeyeon more trust the woman deserved, then maybe all of these could be avoided and they were still together.

 

“What have I done, Taeyeon-ah? I have ruined us. I am so sorry.” Tiffany sobbed in her bed with her face covered by both hands.

 

“I love you and I still couldn’t believe what just happened. We are… we are no longer together.” Tears ran down like a broken dam and yet time was still moving forward and the scene occurred before could never be amended.

 

The room was dark and the only source of light was coming from the numerous buildings dimmed lights. Tiffany kept on crying since that’s the only thing she could afford. Her heart had been begging her to give Taeyeon a call or maybe if she was too cowardice, a text would be sufficient for now; anything to convey how sorry she was and to ask Taeyeon shamelessly for a second chance. After all, she once gave Taeyeon a second chance so why couldn’t she get the same treatment, right? But no. She knew this fight they just had was much bigger and nothing she would do or say could change what they were now. At the end, Tiffany gave up crying when tiredness was succumbed her in.

 

Tiffany was a in a messy and improper state that morning. Her eyes were red and swollen with her nose runny and her voice was hoarse. She had spent her night crying over a failed relationship she had with Taeyeon. Just yesterday she still could be called as Taeyeon’s girlfriend and Tiffany’s foolish mistake had sacrificed the relationship, causing them to break apart and walked on their own paths, away from each other.

 

The fact that Tiffany couldn’t find Taeyeon when she woke up made her gotten panic until her mind finally buzzed in and she realized the shattered relationship. In reflex, more tears came down from her still swollen eyes. She checked her phone, hoping some miracles happened and Taeyeon had texted her and asked her to meet and maybe talked things out, but no. She didn’t receive any text from Taeyeon and just like that, her hope was crushed down. She had no mood to go to campus today and chose to just being miserable, crying and regretting her mistake inside the hotel room.

 

Tiffany literally spent her whole day crying but as if it wasn’t enough to convey and pull out all of her guiltiness that was still eating her alive, the day after was passed with her messy state watching blankly at the movie playing on the TV. Her stomach was complaining and she had ordered hotel’s food but she didn’t have any appetite to finish it. She barely ate anything and yes, she was mentally and emotionally drained and yet it didn’t stop her from weeping after her tragic love story with Taeyeon.

 

It had been the third day since she stayed inside the hotel room consecutively. Even until now she still found it hard to believe that Taeyeon was no longer hers and she wasn’t Taeyeon’s girlfriend anymore. She was so caught up in her own emotion that she forgot she still had a life to go on; that she still had to face the reality that somehow she was controlled by her father. Today wasn’t her lucky day for her father had been looking for her and strictly told her to go home. She sighed and dialled her chauffeur’s number. Besides, she was afraid she wasn’t in her best state to drive herself home.

---

 

“You’re finally home. Come here.” Tiffany’s eyes went wide in shock seeing her father sitting on the long couch in the living room. His father’s tone was assertive and firm, it screamed undeniable instruction. Tiffany gulped and walked slowly toward her father, to sit on the vacant space beside him.

 

“Break up with her!” He got angry, throwing the photos to the table harshly. Tiffany’s eyes were diluted for those photos were taken when she’s with Taeyeon, literally throughout the year they were together; when they ate in small restaurant, when they walked hand in hand down the Han River, when they went into Taeyeon’s apartment building, and the list went on.

 

“Don’t think my silence will continue forever, Miyoung. I kept quiet all this time because I have told you clearly how I’d let you do the things you wanted until you’d about to graduate. You could go clubbing, getting intimates with your suitors, drinking alcohols, and waste my money as much as you want but that’s gonna have to stop now. When you’ve graduated, the way you live your life will be regulated by me. If I told you to stop seeing her then you will do exactly as I have said.”

 

“I gave you freedom to hang out with your stupid friends and I even pretend I didn’t know how you foolishly date those useless brats! However, all of them must not continue any longer. You will graduate next year, marry with the man I have chosen, and live your life working in the position I have prepared for you. None of your foolish habits must remain.”

 

“I have spent way too much to let you stray too far from the path I have paved for you. You have wasted all those years living your life recklessly. Starting today, your life is mine. Whatever you will do must be based on what I tell you. Do you understand, Miyoung?” His voice got lower, yet louder and Tiffany never felt this scared of her father before, until now that was. His tone echoed through the whole house that it made Tiffany trembling on her two feet.

 

“Do you know who Taeyeon is, Father?!” Tiffany got angry. Did her father even have any idea who Taeyeon was and her importance in her life?! How could he easily say those words to her?! How long more should she live her life like this if she didn’t do anything about it starting now? That question lingered inside her head like an echo.

 

“Of course I know. I have hired my private detective to follow you for the past year and he keeps feeding me evidences that what you have with that Taeyeon has been going for more than a year. Or, has this been going longer than what I have known?! What a useless brat you are! You cannot even handle your hormones that you choose a woman instead of man!” Tiffany held her breath, trying to handle her composure over the bitter comment.

 

“Do you know what Taeyeon’s occupation is?!” Tiffany raised her tone, the emotions were getting too hard to handle. She just broke up with Taeyeon, someone who was very precious for her, the only one that could give her happiness and now her father abandoned her feelings like it was nothing but useless trash.

 

“She is a psychiatrist. I don’t think your questions are relevant with what we’re discussing at this moment. I don’t even care if she is a descendant of Korean’s governor because for as long as she is not richer than the man I have appointed to marry you, her presence does not matter for me. And pretty soon, her presence will no longer be needed by you as well.” Tiffany pursed her lips. Of course, that would be the kind of answer her father would give her. She shouldn’t have expected less.

 

“It has everything to do with it, Father!” Tiffany tried to not lose her limited patience. Every single word coming out from her father’s mouth felt like he emphasized how actually Tiffany meant nothing but a robot that he could control. Did he even care about his own daughter at all? Maybe not.

 

“Have you ever wondered why your daughter has to consult to a psychiatrist? You have hired private investigator so you must have known that I have stayed with her the longest compared to my other exes but do you even know why? Why I kept on meeting her against all odds?” Tiffany’s voice was trembling due to barely controlled rage, bottling up her emotions contained feelings that she had kept for the longest; the feelings that had never been revealed to her father before.

 

“I have told you that I could care less about her! I care only if you have ended whatever you have had with her before. If you haven’t then make a call quickly and end it right now.” Her father showed a defensive stance; folding his arms across his chest and lifted up his chin, looking down at his daughter.

 

“You never care about anything if it doesn’t benefit you.” Tiffany bravely argued back. What did she have to lose more anyway?

 

“Watch out your mouth, Miyoung.” Her father warned her.

 

“You know what, Father?! She is no one! She is no longer anyone for me. We just broke up last night.” Tiffany emotionally said, unable to contain her tears anymore. There’s no use to pretend to be strong now. She got nothing to lose anyway; she already had the most precious thing she possessed taken away last night so what’s there to lose now? Nothing.

 

“Why can’t you just once act like my real father? Why can’t you care about me, the real me who is Hwang Miyoung your daughter? Because I really tried. I tried so much to keep you happy; to be a daughter you can be proud of.” Tiffany didn’t care about anything or anyone anymore. No one cared about her as much as Taeyeon but even Taeyeon had left her that she was back to being alone, almost dragged back to where she was from, a dark and lonely place.

 

“What?! How dare you to raise your voice to me?!” He was surprised that for once Tiffany had guts to talk back to him. He saw the tears and he heard the pleading words loud and clear but his pride still prevented him from being weak and showed it to his daughter.

 

“Do you know how I often have hard time to sleep that I always equip myself with sleeping pills and bring it everywhere I go? Do you know that Taeyeon was originally my psychiatrist and ended up being my lover because I was depressed and I got symptoms that I was afraid to admit but I tried muttering up my guts to seek for help from Taeyeon? Do you have any idea how I still feel lonely and lost although I am surrounded by many people around me? I got so much money to spend but I couldn’t buy happiness. Do you know it, Father?” Tiffany’s voice was trembling as more tears went out from her eyes.

 

“I am tired of living, Father. Why don’t you just ask one of your men to kill me this instant? Because I really have no intentions to continue on living a life like this. I have my whole live controlled and arranged by you. I couldn’t pursue my passion; I couldn’t even have a lover whom I love because you have arranged my marriage beforehand, I couldn’t do anything without you interfering in between. I am truly exhausted, Father.” Tiffany looked up and he looked nothing but an empty eyes; eyes of someone who had enough of living.

 

“Am I really your daughter, Father? Because I never once felt treated like a real daughter by you. I always tried to be an obedient daughter for you in hope that maybe by being that kind of person, you would look at me differently, that finally I’d receive love from my own parent. But years have passed and I was still foolishly thinking miracles would happen if I kept on trying and hoping.” Tiffany didn’t bother to brush her tears away. It’s not like her father cared about her anyway.

 

“But I know now that miracles don’t exist in this family. I am enough of being controlled and instructed to do things I never actually wanted, by you, Father. I need some time for myself and this time I hope you’d be ignorant enough to let me.” Tiffany waited and her father kept shutting his mouth. She sighed and went ahead to her bedroom, leaving the argumentation hanging and unfinished.

 

Tiffany couldn’t believe her luck. Just few days ago, her relationship was destroyed and it was all caused by her and her stupid endless suspicions for Taeyeon, and now she got a heated intense quarrel with her father just because he loved his wealth and reputation more than he loved his own biological daughter. If Tiffany could put what her life was into one word, it’d be ridiculous.

 

Tiffany didn’t waste any second and quickly packed as many clothes as her biggest luggage could accommodate. She didn’t bother to fold the clothes and just put everything in. She needed to get out from this mansion she used to call home and if possible, even from Korea where every place she visited would only remind her of Taeyeon and her tragic ending. Taeyeon was the first person that crossed her mind whenever she pictured wedding and marriage into one sentence. Now that Taeyeon was not there anymore to love her and even her every decision was rejected by her father, what’s the use for Tiffany to keep staying in Korea? Right. It was no use.

 

Tiffany dragged her luggage passed the living room and found her father was still sitting in the same position. Tiffany sighed and prepared herself to be yelled at again. She walked closer and her father turned his head, staring at Tiffany.

 

“I am going abroad for a while. Don’t look for me… Please.” Tiffany said the pleading word. She glanced at her father one last time before walking out through the front door to where her chauffeur had been waiting.

 

Tiffany told the chauffeur to go to the airport. During the journey, she had contacted the airlines to specifically prepare the private plane she owned. Tiffany needed to get away from Korea. This country had given her both bitterness and happiness but lately, the bitterness was felt way heavier that she couldn’t stay longer in this country.

 

She knew what she was going to do was escaping which would also mean running away but she couldn’t care less about it. In normal condition, Tiffany was never afraid of anything, unless when it’s directly related to love for both, family and someone whom her heart had chosen and right now, that’s exactly what had been happening. She wasn’t that strong to fight simultaneous battle related to her heart. Taeyeon had given up on her and her father never looked at her as his daughter. Tiffany combed her hairs frustratingly and told the driver to go faster.

 

Tiffany told the pilot and his crews to fly to Japan, where her father’s mansion was located. She went abroad on her own, hoping she could heal faster when she was away from South Korea where her love for family and Taeyeon had been turned down in hope Japan could be a bit nicer to her. She gulped the sleeping pills as soon as she had the seatbelt fastened, thinking that under current situation, she preferred to stay unconscious than stay awake.

 

The way of thoughts that Tiffany’s father had was archaic but it was useful at times, mostly during the time when Tiffany needed to get away from the hectic city. The mansion he owned in Japan was located far away from the main road and was surrounded by natures; trees, green grass, and lake. Tiffany could even hear the birds chirp cheerfully and it managed to bring a sad smile to Tiffany’s face. She envied the birds for having a peaceful and happier life. Tiffany bitterly chuckled, feeling stupid for thinking that way.

 

“Madam, your lunch is ready. Shall I serve the food now?” Tiffany was summoned back to reality when one of the servants notified her.

 

“I am not hungry yet. I will tell you when I want my lunch served.” Tiffany replied. The man smiled and bowed before he excused himself.

 

Tiffany then got up from the chair, walking to where the large window was located. She was in the library, trying to distract herself from the obstacles she’s currently involved through reading some random books she thought she could be interested in, when her mind kept getting back to where the root of the problems were located.

 

“Why can’t anyone love me unconditionally? Am I that unlovable and that unbearable to be with? The only person who loves me sincerely has even given up on me.” Tiffany stood in front of the opened window.

 

“I thought happiness is the only thing I can’t ever have until Taeyeon came into my life. Now that she is no longer here, how can I be happy?” Tiffany felt the trickle of tears slowly made its way to her eyes.

 

“I did it to myself, to her, to us. Now I am left with nothing but regrets. I was miserable before I met her, but why now I feel worse than how I used to? I feel so empty. My father always thinks that he is the most righteous person in the world. Whatever he says must be granted regardless of anything.” Tiffany continued talking with herself. It’s been a while since the last time she had no one to talk to, and surely it wasn’t a positive change. She had always had Taeyeon by her side and now no matter where she looked at, Taeyeon wasn’t there anymore.

 

“What I want, who I want to be, whom I want to be with. All of those never matter for my father. What is more to life when I cannot even decide how I want to live my life? How can a life be more meaningful when there’s no happiness in it? I am the happiest when I am with Taeyeon now I am surrounded by emptiness and despair. With that, how can I go on and continue my life?” Of course no one could answer her question. The silence tears were the only thing that accompanied her for the past days anyway.

 

Tiffany spent another hour inside the large private library her father in his house before she went out to the garden. She asked the servant to just bring her light snack and a cup of tea. She didn’t have appetite to eat heavy food, and with the negative thoughts still lingered inside her mind, she assumed that no one would come anyway should bad things happened to her health or that her health condition deteriorating to much that she fell sick and incapable to do anything normally. Well, who could blame her that the wills to live had been enormously reduced since she broke up with Taeyeon plus that her father kept insisting to force his mandates to Tiffany.

 

“Here are the snacks and tea, Madam. Is there anything else I can help you with?” The servant served Tiffany some bread, mochi, and other snacks often found in Japan.

 

“Nothing. Thank you.” Tiffany nodded her head when the man bowed at her. Tiffany sipped her tea quietly, staring at the green grass with small artificial river and various flowers before her eyes.

 

“No matter how many times I want to tell myself that what has happened is not real, whenever I open my eyes and realize that I am already in different country without you, I just know… That we’re truly not together anymore.” Tiffany muttered, emptily stared at the view in front of her.

---

 

It was her third day staying in Japan and she occasionally went out, greetings people she didn’t know, smiling to strangers when the latter threw out their kind smile to Tiffany. She felt better, slightly. However, she couldn’t sleep well at night and her insomnia had attacked her again. Taeyeon was not around and no one could tell her boring story which triggered her sleepiness like Taeyeon could. Most of the time, she would eventually fall asleep when her eyes were too tired for crying too much and decided to close the lids until morning came.

 

“Madam, your sister is here.” The servant said in fluent Korea when Tiffany was having her breakfast in the garden while enjoying her morning tea.

 

“Michelle?” Tiffany asked to ensure.

 

“Yes, Madam.” The servant asked again.

 

“Send her here.” The servant nodded her head and excused herself.

 

‘What is she doing here?’ Tiffany frowned. Less than a minute later, her older sister walked in and sat on the vacant seat across Tiffany.

 

“Why are you here, Unnie?” Tiffany asked.

 

“You didn’t ask me whether I already have breakfast or not. What a hospitality coming from you as the host, Tiff.” Michelle younger sister. After all, Michelle was closer to Tiffany than Leo with Tiffany. Maybe it was because they were both women that they could feel stronger connections shared between them.

 

“I know you have one during the flight. Unless, if you deliberately didn’t eat it because you wanted to maintain your shape despite that you’re already being a mother of 1 son and 1 daughter.” Tiffany sneered. She couldn’t hide her happiness when she saw Michelle in flash. She missed having someone who cared enough about her to come around.

 

“Oh shut up! It’s always better to have someone to accompany you eating, isn’t it? Make me bread with strawberry jam, Tiff. I also don’t mind you pouring me some tea you’re having right now.” Michelle already lifted her empty glass in front of Tiffany and the latter smiled, pouring the liquid into the glass.

 

“How is Oppa, Unnie? And my two cute nephews too.” Tiffany started spreading the jam upon the bread’s surface.

 

“Jaemin is doing well. He is currently being busy with business in East Europe countries; I forgot the exact name of the country since he moves from one place to another too often that I couldn’t keep up. And my children are well, thank you. They said they missed you and hope you could drop by to see them before Christmas.” Michelle replied before sipping her tea.

 

“Aww I missed them too. I will try to go to your house when I have vacations from campus, alright? I definitely will buy gifts for them when I go there, Unnie.” Tiffany sincerely smiled. She was touched by the gestures such as exchanged simple conversations with her sister to remind her that she still got a family member who truly cared of her.

 

“I will surely tell them that so you better keep your words, alright?” Tiffany nodded her head. She was done with the bread and offered it to her sister.

 

“How about your business, Unnie? Is it going well that-“

 

“Oh shush! I am here not to talk about myself and my boring life, Tiff. I am here because I am your older sister and I love you. Father has updated me about how he got fight with you and you decided to run away temporarily from home.” Michelle sliced her bread with the knife into smaller pieces.

 

“So you’re here because you’re asked by Father to bring me home?” Tiffany’s little bubble contained of happiness and hope were burst almost immediately. Maybe she was wrong; no one cared about her after all.

 

“Indeed Father asked me to do that but I am here not as his Personal Assistant who would do whatever he told me to. I am here as your older sister who cares and loves you dearly, Tiff.” Michelle sat up more properly, placing down the tea cup on the table.

 

“Uhm.. Thanks. So, are you here to scold me as well? I assume Father has told you about how I have crossed the boundaries and have romantic relationship with someone who is also a woman, right?” Tiffany nervously asked. She was touched when Michelle informed her that she went here not as his puppet but then again, she knew Michelle would more or less had the same opinions about her decision to love a woman instead of man.

 

“Oh God. I know our age difference is way too great but I have been raising you for years literally before Father forced me to marry my husband, Tiff. I slightly hope you’d know me better that I always prioritize your happiness first before anything. Dignity, reputation, and fame are important but if you are not happy, then what’s the use?” Michelle sighed, feeling a bit offended by Tiffany’s question which was almost could be stated as a subtle accusation as well.

 

“What do you mean, Unnie?” Tiffany asked.

 

“I am not happy with my life, Tiff. As the eldest child, I have to be the most obedient child compared to my younger siblings that I have to do whatever he told me to; marrying someone I don’t love, being involved in business I am never interested in, and well literally I am living a life of my parent’s dream, not mine. The last thing I want is the same thing happens to you too. Me and Leo have failed to retain our needs and just sacrificed it just so our parents would be proud of us but you shouldn’t do that, Tiff.” Michelle’s tone turned serious. She smiled and yet that smile couldn’t reach her eyes. Now that Tiffany looked at her sister more closely, she looked older than her supposed age.

 

“I am sorry to hear that, Unnie.” Tiffany gulped, feeling guilty for judging her sister too fast.

 

“It’s alright, Tiff. It is none of your fault. I have talked with Leo and we both agree that you must not have a life like us. We love you very much and we shall try talking to Father about it. There’s only tiny bit of hope when it comes to Father and his dominance over reputation and wealth but even if he doesn’t agree, we shall do our best so you can live your life according to your own dream.” Michelle reached out her hand and touched Tiffany’s cheek.

 

“You have grown up to be such a beautiful woman, Tiff. I am sorry that I couldn’t be there for you most of the time and Leo too. We are too busy ensuring the stacks of money we could generate are inclined greatly that we abandon our own sister that needs our attention. But I am here now, Tiff and I want to learn being an appropriate sister again if you let me.” Tiffany couldn’t handle her emotion and longer and leaped up from her chair, hugging her sister while she was on her knees.

 

“I missed you so much, Unnie. I have siblings and Father but it feels like I am alone in this world. The only person who cares and loves me unconditionally is only Taeyeon but she too gives up on me at the end. I have done such a terrible mistake that ruined us and our relationship. I… I..” Tiffany couldn’t continue her sentence. She cried, sobbing on Michelle’s lap desperately.

 

“It’s okay. Let it all out, Tiff. I am here for you.” Michelle Tiffany’s back tenderly, leaning down and kissed the top of Tiffany’s head.

 

“Let’s talk more inside, baby.” Michelle soothed.  Tiffany nodded and stood up carefully.

---

 

Tiffany then shared her story and what she had been through for the past years ever since she was forced to move school no thanks’ to her bastard ex. Michelle felt so sorry for she should have tried better in being an older sister and not for reaching out so long. They only met during national holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas, and even then their Father would dominate the conversation mostly related to their empire business and whatnot.

 

The younger sister also told Michelle how her world had been turned upside down with the harsh experiences she had with her ex. She had become another person, someone she never knew she had in her just to ensure she’d be protected from other veiled intentions potentially conducted by others. She stayed being a selfish, arrogant, until Taeyeon came into her life. Surely, Taeyeon took quite a long time to permeate and crack Tiffany’s armour made of finest metal to ensure no one could hurt her anymore. Taeyeon was a stubborn psychiatrist with purest heart Tiffany had ever met that eventually her defence crumbled down with the endless kindness she received from Taeyeon.

 

However the only good thing ever happened in her life had to end to at some point. Yes, Taeyeon did her share points of mistakes that Tiffany couldn’t trust her as much as she used to. Taeyeon had spent months trying to rebuild and earn Tiffany’s trust again but maybe because she was so adamant in admitting how her opened wound hurt her many times than the first time it did to her, and how the fact it was Taeyeon who did it; someone whom she claimed to love after the painful experience she had before years ago. Or maybe because Tiffany simply didn’t deserve Taeyeon’s love from the very beginning. The last fact impacted her that trickles of tears starting to stream down her face.

 

“Come here, baby. No one is going to hurt you again, I promise.” Michelle scooted closer and hugged Tiffany sideway, bringing Tiffany’s head to her collarbone.

 

“I am the one who kept on hurting her, Unnie. She has been very patient and tried her best to keep up with my habits and accusations. She never got tired of explaining whenever I suspected her or even accused her of doing something fishy behind my back. But maybe… She couldn’t have it anymore and that night was her last call. I couldn’t blame her though. If it were me, probably I would have asked for breakup much sooner.” Tiffany clenched her fists on her sister’s shirt, crumpling it as her head was remembering how she used to be so happy when she’s still with Taeyeon.

 

“What happened has happened, Tiff and there’s nothing you can do about that. I understand where you’re coming from but I also understand why Taeyeon finally had to make the call and asked to end things between you two. I am sure she still loves you just the same but she isn’t convinced she could have that kind of relationship with you for forever. In fact, what she has decided is brave, Tiff.” Michelle patted Tiffany’s back.

 

“What do you mean, Unnie?”

 

“You both obviously still love each other but as the older party, she encouraged herself to make the final decision. You will live your life with the guilt but she will continue living her life with guilt and the blame. Whenever she is reminded of you and how you two could have been, she’d have to also remember that she was the one who made that call and there’s nothing she could do to rectify it.” Michelle explained.

 

“Now let’s discuss more about you, Tiff. What are you going to do from here? Because obviously Taeyeon has let you go and never expects you to be more ruined than the first time you met her.” Michelle wiped Tiffany’s tears with the tip of thumbs.

 

“I haven’t thought much about it, Unnie. I went home after staying in hotel because I couldn’t stay under one roof with Taeyeon knowing that she is no longer mine and I didn’t want to go home because well.. You know how our Father is.” Michelle smiled, nodding her head in understanding.

 

“And Father called me, telling me to go home. The first thing he did to me when I stepped into home was throwing photos of Taeyeon and I, screaming at my face that I have to stop doing things according to what I wanted because my life was his to be controlled. I feel useless and not loved that I escaped to Japan. And now you’re here… Thank you for looking after me, Unnie.” Tiffany looked like a lost child that craved for attention and love. Michelle couldn’t help but felt how tears were climbing up her eyes as well. She felt like a failed sister; how come Tiffany had to face all of these alone? How could she let Tiffany felt unloved when she loved her sister dearly but she poorly showed it since she barely had time even for herself.

 

“No.. I am sorry for not looking after you sooner, Tiff. It’s my fault that you have to face this alone. You used to tell me how you wanted to make a huge transformation in how people emphasize their significances through fashion. But what you’re studying now doesn’t express fashion at all, Tiff.” Michelle caressed Tiffany’s head with her hand.

 

“Well yeah.. I tried arguing with Father about that too. That I wanted to pursue my passion in fashion but he strictly said no to me. He wanted me to-“

 

“Screw with what he wants, Tiff! Leo and I have been accommodating his wants too many times to remember so there’s no way we would let the same thing happens to you. You have to live your life differently. We want you to grow up as independent woman who could fulfill her dreams because it would also mean you can at least we can have our dreams continued by you, our youngest sister.” Michelle finally shed a tear. Hence, she still tried offering her best smile for her sister.

 

“If there is one thing you should know, Leo and I are not happy with our life. We are not content with the way we live our life and the questions of ‘what ifs’ keep on haunting us. What we would’ve become if we lived our life differently? Would we be happy if we persistent and say no to father once in a while? At the end of the day, we know it’s useless because all of those have happened to us anyway.” Michelle halted.

 

“It’s different with you, Tiff. You still have chance to choose how you want to go on with your life. The probability for you to regain your happiness back still exists. All you need to do is be more assertive and a bit stubborn to defend your cause.” Michelle extended her arm, patting her sister’s head tenderly. She smiled with another tear escaped her eye. How long had it been since the last time she saw Tiffany? Was money too powerful that it even controlled the way she wanted to be connected with her own family? The milk had been spilled but it’s never too late to encourage and give support to her sister. Michelle put a note inside her mind.

 

“But.. How can I convince him to approve my proposal, Unnie? I have tried many times before so I know this time too, he won’t let me do whatever I want, unless if it benefits him somehow.” Tiffany’s shoulder slumped down. She knew how her father was. After all, she spent more years with him compared to her other siblings so she shouldn’t be proud in saying this but she knew her father best.

 

“Go home and tell him directly what you want. He might be stubborn, ignorant, rude, and everything bad but then again, he is still our father, Tiff. I sensed concerns and care when he told me how you bravely talked back to him and accidentally spilled out your secrets; that you have been stressed, using sleeping pills, and all. He got mad at you but he still had love somewhere deep inside his heart. All you need to do is find it and tell him how you want to live the rest of your life pursuing your dream. Don’t think about the outcome just yet, Tiff. You have tasted the worst things in life, right? This would be nothing compared to what you have experienced.” Michelle words slowly seeped into Tiffany’s logic and heart. The younger woman smiled, nodding her head.

 

“It’s already time for you to break out from your shell, Tiff. It’d be a tough journey and the path would be full of potholes and gravels, but it doesn’t mean you’re not strong enough to move forward. Leo and I will always be there for you.”

 

“I will fully support you, Tiff. I will even force Leo to spend millions of dollars from his personal pocket to buy whatever clothes you’ve designed for us, no matter what colour and which motives.” Michelle widely smiled.

 

“Thank you, Unnie. That means a lot to me.” Tiffany nodded her head and thanked her sister.

 

“We believe you will become someone we’re not, Tiff. Someone who is much better than us; someone who has audacity to take decision for her own happiness, someone who is persistent enough to accomplish her dreams, and someone who has big heart to forgive herself for the tragedies and unfortunate events occurred in the past. Do not ever give up. Strive higher and find your own happiness. We have faith in you and thus you have to believe in yourself.” Tiffany totally unexpected her sister could say those words to her. She was touched beyond words could ever describe that the tears escaped from her eyes. Tiffany held her sister tightly.

 

“I don’t know what would happen if you’re not here and talk with me.” Tiffany said.

 

“Don’t say that. I am your older sister. It’s my duty to save you whenever you’ve fallen into problems too deep. And I love you, Tiff. Leo and I love you very much although we rarely show it.” Michelle tightened her hold by wrapping her arms around Tiffany’s waist.

 

“I love you too, Unnie. I love you and Oppa.” Tiffany finally could form a sincere smile on her face. After all, she was thankful there were still people that cared enough about her well-being and those people were part of her family.

 

“But I am sorry I have to deliver you the news that I am here to bring you home, Tiff. Father has emphasized it but I’d understand if you need more time to think. I will be around, visiting our branches in Tokyo. Let me know if you’re ready to go home.” Michelle pulled away first, tapping Tiffany’s cheek and smiled.

 

“I will.”

 

“Well then, I want to talk more with you but my age is catching up to me. Give me a few hours of nap and I’ll be fully charged. We can go touring around Japan and have fun. I am single for as long as I am here anyway!” Michelle tried to stifle her yawn. Her eyes were teary no thanks’ to hours she had spent inside the plane.

 

“Go and have a rest, Unnie. I will wake you up when it’s time for dinner.” Michelle nodded her head, rubbing her eyes and went inside to one of the bedrooms. Tiffany stared as Michelle was making her way out from the room.

 

Tiffany then dragged herself to the balcony. She looked up and found the sky had turned orange mixed with violet, indicating the sun was almost set.

 

“It turns out I still have someone who still cares about my well-being.” Tiffany talked to herself.

 

“I will try my best to stick to my determination no matter what it takes. For as long as there is a will, there shall always be a way. I will never give up and I promise to make my dreams come true. I will embrace myself, forgiving things that I have done wrongly, but will never let myself get drowned. I have to be happy for myself.”

---

 

Tiffany surely took her time to get up and stand on her two feet again. She went back to Korea, preparing herself before she had to face her father and honestly told him what she wanted to do. Michelle told her to take as many time as she needed but she had enough of wasting more time. She had done wrong things to her relationship but she would never do foolish action to ruin her future, that’s for sure.

 

“Where is Father?” Tiffany asked his personal assistant.

 

“He is inside his study room, Madam. Should I tell him that you want to meet him?”

 

“No, you don’t have to. Let me just meet him on my own. Thank you.” The personal assistant gasped for he never heard Tiffany thanking him before.

 

“O-oh okay. You are most welcome, Madam” The man quickly smiled in return. Tiffany nodded her head at him before proceeding to her father’s office room.

 

“Father, it’s me Miyoung. May I enter?” Tiffany politely asked after knocking his office room.

 

“Come in.” And Tiffany did.

 

“Have you come to your senses now that you have come back?” The man didn’t even wait for Tiffany to sit down first and already snapped at her the moment his eyes lied on her.

 

“I am here to talk, Father.” Tiffany composed herself and sat down on the chair in front of her father’s desk.

 

“Talk as you may.” The man nodded his head as he was still typing some things on his laptop.

 

“Can I at least get 10 minutes of your precious time, Father? Should I beg to have it?” Tiffany sighed. Maybe talking to her father wasn’t the best option after all.

 

“What more should we talk about, Miyoung? Haven’t you made enough problems to your family for years?” The man finally closed down his laptop and focused his attention fully on his youngest daughter.

 

“I won’t say sorry for my actions, Father because for once I did things which made me happy and I personally think it’s not a mistake to do things that could bring me happiness. I haven’t been happy for as long as I remember. I have tried to be a good daughter by doing whatever you instructed me to. But that has to stop now. I have made up my mind that I want to pursue my passion in being fashion designer as soon as I have graduated this year.” Tiffany said all those in one breath. She wasn’t confident she could relay whatever she wanted to say if she delayed it longer.

 

“I have told you many times that I shall never agree with your choice, Miyoung. You will end up being a low peasant who could only open a small boutique and perhaps you’d be the one personally sew the dress if you run out of luck.” The man was sharp and ruthless with his tongue. Tiffany had expected it and yet still, hearing it directly came out from his mouth hurt ten times more painful, if not worse.

 

“Can you please even just for once see me like I am your daughter, Father? I don’t need your wealth, inheritance, your facilities, or anything that money can buy. I am longing for attention and love from my own parent. Can I at least have that, Father? Have I been stranded way too far that I couldn’t go back being your daughter?” Tiffany’s voice was desperate and yet her father still had the strong undeterred gaze over her.

 

“Has it occurred to you that Leo Oppa and Michelle Unnie aren’t happy with the kind of life you have chosen for them?” Tiffany tried to change into another topic, hoping this time it’d be enough to obtain her father’s full attention. The man’s brows furrowed deeply, intensely staring at his daughter who had enough bravery to tell him the impact of his decision to his other children.

 

“They are wealthy and they can live their life without having to worry of things they cannot buy, foods they cannot eat, clothes they cannot wear; because it’s simply impossible. Their money are limitless, they are powerful and influential. People acknowledge their importance in business world. They have the true meaning of being successful in life. What more do they need?” Her father sounded arrogant and confident with whatever he just said. Tiffany could only inhale her breath deeply seeing the man whom she had called as father for as long as she could remember.

 

“But they are not happy, Father. They are far from being happy. I am thankful you sent Michelle Unnie to Japan because then I know how her life has been miserable for every decision you made in her life. She married the man she didn’t love, she lived in a country she hated, she is involved in business that she’s not interested in, and worse… She is supposedly the main character of her own life but she’s not because you’re the one who always made the call for every single thing happened in her life.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter