Mysterious - 5

Traits
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What worked?” Taeyeon smacked her head mentally to even converse with the drunken woman.

 

“You got my attention, Kim Taeyeon. You have made your point that you could be a good girlfriend and it made me think, maybe it’s alright to have a woman as a lover if that person is as good and as loyal as you.” Tiffany said before her consciousness vanished completely.

 

“Wh-what did you say?” Taeyeon’s jaw literally dropped.

 

“Yah! Tiffany Hwang! What the hell did you just say?!” Taeyeon shook her body but of course, it’s no use because not long after, she could hear a soft snore coming from Tiffany.

 

“Damn! How could she leave me hanging and wondering with that odd words she just said?!” Taeyeon clenched her jaw, feeling annoyed. She needed to wait until the younger woman woke up or at least tomorrow before she could ask what Tiffany meant just now.

 

Taeyeon asked the security at the hotel to help her bringing Tiffany to her room. Yes, Tiffany could still walk with her arm s around the security’s shoulder while she tried helping the poor man by holding on to Tiffany’s waist, ensuring she wouldn’t lose her balance. Sweats dropped and short pants were spent until they finally checked into their Tiffany’s room. Taeyeon didn’t forget to give the man a generous tip as a thank you before closing the door behind her.

 

“I never thought tonight would end up like this.” Taeyeon wiped the sweats from her forehead, staring down at the sleeping Tiffany.

 

“At least she’s not an annoying drunk type.” Taeyeon sighed. She thought to herself that she perhaps could use this chance to sleep as well. It’s not like she didn’t drink quite a lot too to be honest but at least she still stayed sober, unlike the woman beside her.

 

Inside Tiffany’s bedroom, Taeyeon wondered if she should help Tiffany changing too or just let her be. In normal occasion, she would initiatively change her friend’s clothes but Tiffany was far from being a normal person or friend. She was unique with unreadable quirks she had in her. After seemingly endless contemplation, she decided to just change Tiffany’s clothes and during the process, she realized that probably it was a wrong decision after all.

 

Taeyeon was maybe a busy career woman with every hectic activity she carried on daily but it didn’t mean she never spared time to fill her mental needs such as dating or getting laid. Well, yes she had to admit she barely did it and perhaps she would have never done it if Sunny or Hyoyeon didn’t interfere and pushed her to a woman friend that she could hook up with but none was taken further with the reason that she wasn’t ready for a serious relationship.

 

Thus being said, Taeyeon had seen numbers of beautiful women sleeping beside her after basking in the afterglow of intense activities in bed but none was as beautiful as Tiffany. Taeyeon looked down at the person who looked peaceful; totally different from the usual cranky Tiffany she often met. Taeyeon had done changing Tiffany’s clothes and could just go to sleep right after but here she was, creepily staring down at Tiffany who was much younger than her.

 

“You are so beautiful. No wonder people are after you all the time. You are a sweet person but why you choose to mask it with your arrogance and being mysterious to protect yourself from the outside world? What has happened to you? What has this evil world done to you that you got traumatic and depressed?” Taeyeon didn’t realize how her hand moved on it is own toward Tiffany’s flushed cheeks and she swore she almost touched her if Taeyeon didn’t suddenly realize what she was doing and her hand froze in the air.

 

“Is it about your past relationship? Have you been cheated on by your past lover? And what do you mean by those words you said earlier, Tiffany? Did you mean that I can be trusted enough as a lover? Do you even want to be my lover? I must be crazy to even keep on talking to the sleeping you.” Taeyeon sighed, shaking her head at her own actions.

 

“She is drunk, for God’s sake! I shouldn’t even take her words seriously! I bet you won’t even remember what happened after we left the restaurant” Taeyeon concluded, chuckling bitterly.

 

“Why do I care so much about you when I have dozens of clients aside of you but I don’t care much about them, not even half as I care about you?” Taeyeon asked herself as she was staring at Tiffany’s beautiful face contours.

 

Tonight’s event had exposed her feelings further and it turned out that Sunny was right; what she had for Tiffany wasn’t just a common friendly attraction shared between friends, it was much more than that. Taeyeon told Tiffany that supposedly feelings of magnetism or interests should have shown symptoms to make the person could understand the feeling better but she herself had abandoned the symptoms and realized it when it was too late; when she already had to admit that yes, she probably liked Tiffany in a way more than just normal friend.

 

Taeyeon felt like a hypocrite; intending to help Tiffany as a friend with free-of-charge consultations offered but in the end, she had feelings for the latter. Taeyeon sighed, before getting up and decided to go to her own room just beside Tiffany’s bedroom.

 

‘If I care about you more than just a client, does it mean I want us to have more than just being friends? But then again, doesn’t it also mean I intend to repeat my past mistake of falling for a client again?’ Taeyeon thought to herself as she was walking to her room.

 

Taeyeon clenched her chest, feeling her heart was being pulled and tugged; the feelings were so familiar but instead of worshiping, she hated it; she hated the fact that she liked a client, again. The reminiscent attacked her; forcedly bringing her back to the past where she was being hurt by her client. Taeyeon shook her head, there’s no guarantee Tiffany would remember everything anyway so she still had the chance to stop whatever she was feeling right now.

 

“I better go to sleep.” She glanced one more time at Tiffany, ensuring the woman’s body had been appropriately covered by the duvet before leaving the room and went to her own bedroom. It took her another hour until she could finally fall asleep.

---

 

Tiffany cursed at whoever let the curtains opened since it successfully disturbed her peaceful sleep. She woke up feeling annoyed and angry; her head was painful and felt dry. It was a conventional feeling that she always experienced whenever she had a rough and intimate night with alcohol so yes, she was already familiar with it but she would never let the curtains left opened so it was obvious, she wasn’t in her own bedroom.

 

Tiffany wanted to say something but the thirst was unbearable that she kept shut for now. She fluttered her eyes opened with her brows furrowed. She had a normal reaction; observing her surrounding to know what just happened last night. Tiffany found a glass of water on the night side table and gulped it down. She felt calmer after the water had moistened her dry throat. She took a deep breath, recollecting what had happened last night with Taeyeon that she woke up feeling headache as the result of a hangover.

 

“Wait! When did I change my clothes?! Does it mean… Taeyeon did it?!” Tiffany sharply breathed, finally remembered little by little about the things she had done, or more like the words that had come out from .

 

“Oh God! What have I said?!” Tiffany clasped her face, regretting that she had a big and shameless mouth that she accidentally confessed about her real thoughts of Taeyeon; that Taeyeon’s story about her past relationship could change her opinion of gender preference as a lover.

 

Yes, Tiffany had confidence that she knew herself better more than anyone so when she thought she liked Taeyeon a bit more than she should, then it meant she truly liked her. It was however hard to admit since Tiffany was a prideful woman that never wanted to bow down to anyone or in simpler words, she would never start liking someone first before the other person confessed his attractions for her but with Taeyeon… It was different; not the kind of bad differences though.

 

Tiffany needed to clear up her mind so she could think more ‘clearly’. She decided to leave her bed and take a hot and long shower her body badly needed. For now, there were two basic questions inside Tiffany’s brain; why Taeyeon had the nerves to change her clothes? And secondly, what Taeyeon thought of her after what she had said last night? Meanwhile, Tiffany also had questions for herself; what has made her liked Taeyeon more than allowed?

 

Tiffany took her long shower time to rotate the gears inside her brain; contemplating further until she could draw the conclusion that she shouldn’t think much of what happened last night. She just confessed how Taeyeon could possibly be a good lover and that Tiffany could probably have a decent relationship if her lover could be as kind as to how Taeyeon did toward her ex-girlfriend. It didn’t have a direct line or correlation that she wanted Taeyeon as a girlfriend, did she?

 

“But Taeyeon is indeed a good lover. Her ex is simply a jerk for treating her that way and wasted her chance with Taeyeon. I bet her ex regrets what she has done with Taeyeon although I didn’t know whether her ex’s lover right now is also a decent person or not.” Tiffany talked to herself as she was rinsing her hair.

 

“Then again, how did I become so intoxicated that I said those things to Taeyeon? What would she have thought after hearing my statements? I just hope she wouldn’t think weirdly like how I wanted to be her girlfriend and all.” Tiffany continued speaking with no one but herself. She realized what words she had said but of course, she didn’t have control of how Taeyeon would take her words.

 

“What do I think of Taeyeon anyway? She is a good friend and also a good psychiatrist even though I get devastated after consultations with her but… She is sincere and not nosy like others. She listens well and never judges me like how my parents and friends do. She has every trait I have been seeking from my closest people and yet I never manage to find it, until I have found Taeyeon that is.” Tiffany quickly washed her face since she was unable to answer her own questions about Taeyeon’s significance in her life.

 

“Am I really drunk that my stupid mouth failed to filter my words? I mean… Yes, Taeyeon is a good person who is rare to be found nowadays but I don’t really need to expose what I thought of her right to the person herself, right? Dammit, Tiffany. Oh well, it’s not like I could rewind the time back to yesterday though. I just need to pretend as nothing happened. I didn’t confess that I liked her anyway. So yes, it’s gonna be alright, Tiff.” Tiffany concluded and wrapped the towel around her body. She just walked out of the bathroom when she heard her door was being knocked.

 

“Tiffany! Have you woken up already? Let’s have breakfast together!” Taeyeon said from behind the door. Tiffany sighed and walked forward, unlocking the door.

 

“Come in, Taeyeon-ah. You can watch the TV or anything while I am changing my clothes.” Tiffany opened her door a bit enough for her head to slip in between the door and the wall. Tiffany’s hair was still slightly dampened a few drops of water fell down to her collarbone and somewhere lower. She only wore the towel with some skins that were nicely exposed.

 

“Uhm.. I.. I will just wait inside my bedroom. Let me know when you have done okay!” Taeyeon abruptly informed and ran back to her room beside Tiffany could say anything to reply.

 

“What is wrong with her?” Tiffany shook her head, chuckling, and locked her door again; starting to apply light makeup and got change.

---

 

Tiffany had done changing and was confident with her look. She went out of her room and knocked on Taeyeon’s bedroom. The older woman took merely 10 seconds, figuratively to open the door. They both headed out together to the lobby where the cafeteria was located. It was not that crowded anymore since it’s already past 9 am when most diligent and punctual people had finished their breakfast before 9.

 

The conversation started light and easy with both women exchanging their opinions about Busan and how lovely actually the city was when the sun was up in the sky, providing better lights compared to when during the night. Tiffany sipped her drink, nodding at Taeyeon’s point of view, agreeing with the older woman’s statement that it was nice to have a breather and went traveling to release the stress once in a while. Tiffany added her own suggestion, saying that Taeyeon should try going south to Europe if she wanted to see the best landscape a world had to offer or to America if she was curious about how Western people excitedly living a different life from Asian people.

 

They went on and on until there was only a few remaining foods left on the table with Tiffany had stopped eating since minutes ago. It was probably around an hour if not more than they had spent talking randomly and casually about trivial matters that brushed both interests which kept the communication went on and on.

 

However Taeyeon could only do so much for avoiding last night’s event; she was curious and at the same time anxious about whether Tiffany remembered what she had said to Taeyeon last night and if she did, what did Tiffany mean by those words? But then again, she was afraid. What if things were better left unsaid or better not asked? Taeyeon mentally sighed; contemplating what she better did, to ask or to keep it to herself? To carefully say or to keep shut? To convey or pretend nothing worthy ever happened?

 

“Is there something wrong?” Tiffany finally asked after observing Taeyeon for a while.

 

“Hmm?” Taeyeon looked up, awkwardly smiling.

 

“You look.. uncomfortable. Like you want to ask something but doesn’t have enough courage to proceed or like you want to say something to me but afraid to do so.” Tiffany arrogantly smiled and Taeyeon swore her smile made the uncertainty overpowered her bravery. Should things go wrong, it would aggravate the recent built up friendship shared between Tiffany and that’s exactly what Taeyeon didn’t want to risk. Taeyeon bit her lip, thinking deeper.

 

“Am I too obvious?” Taeyeon prolonged the time for her to answer.

 

“Yes. The fidgety fingers on your lap, the furrowed eyebrows, the faraway stare, and you kept subtly moving on your seat. I would have said you probably have an indigestion issue but you are the psychiatrist, not me so I supposed you should know better. You also look worried so I feel the need to ask. What is wrong, Taeyeon?” Tiffany’s gaze was neither really friendly nor genuine and Taeyeon swore it was hard for her not to spill the truth.

 

“I don’t mean to be audacious but I don’t like it if it somehow is related to me.” Tiffany wrinkled her brows, thinking on her own before coming to a conclusion.

 

“Have you changed your mind to befriend me after our quick escape to Busan?” Taeyeon asked and Tiffany halted, wondering if she should nod her head or again move her head to the left and right as a disapproval sign.

 

“Do you remember that you’re quite intoxicated last night and you have blurted out words that implied…” Taeyeon paused, hesitating to continue. What if Tiffany didn’t remember and it would only cause them to be awkward with each other. One of the reasons why Taeyeon hadn’t brought it up was to avoid Tiffany being uncomfortable; if the younger woman wanted to discuss it then Taeyeon would be there to inform what she remembered last night but if Tiffany didn’t want to then who was Taeyeon to force it on her?

 

“Go on.” Tiffany confirmed and Taeyeon took a deep breath before continuing.

 

“Well, I don’t want to give the impression that I am arrogant or anything but what you said before sounded like you wouldn’t mind having me as more than just a friend.” Taeyeon tried to be extra careful with her choice of words in the hope Tiffany wouldn’t feel offended by her presumptions. The silence felt after was intimidating Taeyeon and it made her thinking; was I wrong to proceed with this topic?

 

“You are right. I don’t mind.” Tiffany’s brown orbs bored right into Taeyeon’s eyes and it amazed Taeyeon how Tiffany could say those words without feeling nervous. Wait.. did Taeyeon hear it right? Taeyeon’s forcedly opened mouth perhaps hinted to Tiffany that she needed to say it more clearly.

 

“Listen to this clearly because there’s no way I would repeat again after this,” Tiffany warned and Taeyeon quickly pulled her chair forward and her body automatically leaned forward. She brushed of the hairs around her ears so she could hear Tiffany better.

 

“You asked me if I have a type and I told you I didn’t yesterday but maybe I already have one starting today. All my life I have always thought I am a normal woman who likes men but after the date with Nicole, it makes me think that maybe I can go both, that I don’t mind dating a man but I won’t mind trying a woman if possible.” Tiffany played with the napkin on the table; distracting herself so she wouldn’t feel annoyed with herself; after all, it’s the first time she had ever confessed to someone.

 

“I don’t know when it’s started but I think I have developed feelings for my stupid dense and useless psychiatrist. Don’t ask me why or how, I just know I do. It’s been a while since I have ever felt these awkward unknown feelings so just consider yourself lucky.” Tiffany was strong with her choice of words for a confession but her expression said otherwise. The woman’s cheeks reddened with her eyes were still as fierce; like she didn’t say things wrong and did nothing but sharing her own feelings for Taeyeon to know.

 

“H-huh?” Taeyeon was flabbergasted with her pupil dilated and jaw literally dropped to the floor. The gears inside her brain worked too slowly to process everything simultaneously.

 

“What a way to show your feelings, Tiffany.” Taeyeon chuckled, shaking her head after she finally understood what the younger woman just said to her. The older woman was confused with Tiffany; a second she looked totally convinced and confident with auras surrounding her and uncertain but this time, she looked shy and blushed with her cheeks flushed in deep red.. Wait.. it couldn’t be possible that it’s her first time confessing, right? If so then perhaps it could be considered normal for the first time, or at least Taeyeon would accept the exception since it’s Tiffany’s first time conveying her feelings to another person.

 

“I am just saying what I am feeling, Taeyeon. There is nothing wrong with that. Now it is your turn. Tell me what you feel.” Tiffany cleared . She didn’t believe she just said those words. But words had already spilled and there’s nothing she could do to amend it. Tiffany thought maybe it’d be better if she was swallowed into the darkest bottomless pit rather than continuing to feel the embarrassment of no thanks’ to herself.

 

“It is the first time I have ever received such a confession and I have to admit it.. it is differently refreshing.” Taeyeon’s smile was still there so it meant well, right? Or so Tiffany told herself.

 

“But since you are very blatant and bold with words, I will be totally honest with you too so it’d be fair.” Taeyeon sipped her orange juice while feeling like her heart was about to explode. Wait.. Did it mean her heart was actually explosive?

 

“I like you too, Tiffany and we both have made it clear the kind of ‘like’ we mean is not as a friend, right?” Taeyeon made a quotation remark with her two fingers on each hand. Tiffany nodded her head as a confirmation but instead of smiling, Taeyeon’s expression almost instantly changed into a dejected one that she could only offer a sad smile for Tiffany.

 

Tiffany furrowed her eyebrows, confused why Taeyeon didn’t seem like she’s happy to hear how she could reciprocate her feelings. Meanwhile, Taeyeon recollected the bitter memories she used to share with her ex, who was also Taeyeon’s client first before eventually, that person became a part of Taeyeon’s personal life, as a lover. It’s a lie if Taeyeon admitted she wasn’t relieved after hearing Tiffany’s affirmation and yet it was hard not to correlate Tiffany with her ex-girlfriend. She had sacrificed literally everything just to have her heart stomped ruthlessly like it was nothing; being betrayed and lied to for so long.

 

“I.. I am… Thank you for sharing the same feelings as me but it’s hard not to relate us to what has happened with my past relationship, Tiffany. I have told you right, how my ex was my client before she became my lover and we didn’t end up well.” Taeyeon decided to share her worries, in the hope Tiffany could understand.

 

“So? I am not your ex-girlfriend, Taeyeon. We are two different persons so there’s no guarantee we would end up like how you were with your ex.” Tiffany explained, eyeing Taeyeon closely so Taeyeon would get the message that she was not her ex and Taeyeon could see that.

 

“I know you are not but at the same time, it’s just.. I am afraid, Tiffany. My heart is no longer intact and it’s hard not to learn from the past. I don’t compare you to my ex-girlfriend and I also can see how you two are totally different people and yet… You are famous and people adore you... While I am only Kim Taeyeon the psychiatrist who is way older than you.”

 

“Listen, Taeyeon-ah. I was once cheated by my ex-boyfriend too. He swooned me off of my feet with so many sweet things he has done to me; proving me that he’s the best one out there compared to my other admirers. He succeeded to claim my heart and my trust that I gave him everything; he is my first in everything in fact.” Tiffany flinched at her past which she tried so much to forget.

 

“We were together for about a year when I finally found out that I wasn’t the only woman he treated specially. He was seeing another woman behind my back who studied in a different school and I accidentally caught it when I went to the bookstore with my friends and I saw his hands wrapping around her waist with his lips attached to that woman’s lips.” Tiffany halted, sipping her drink calmly; trying not to get affected by her past.

 

“I followed them secretly and they went to the parking lot. It was a supposedly wonderful evening for me but it turned out as a disaster when they entered the car and it didn’t move until 40 minutes later. I tried calling him to check and ensure that it was my eyes that were betraying me but he ignored my call. The next day, I confronted him and he didn’t even try to cover his infidelity actions with lies.” Tiffany gazed at Taeyeon tenderly.

 

“You see… I have my own portions of being cheated on and I know how painful it is, Taeyeon. That’s exactly why I won’t do the same thing to my next potential lover. I might be a spoiled brat but I am definitely not a cheating jerk.” Tiffany firmly stated and Taeyeon had to smile at that.

 

“Thank you for sharing your past with me, Tiffany. And I am sorry that you have similar past experiences too. Uhm.. Does it mean we are on the same page about cheating? We both however have the similar painful experiences of being cheated on.” Taeyeon concluded and Tiffany simply nodded her head.

 

“In short, I will never do what she did to you and I hope you wouldn’t do what he did to me too, Taeyeon.”

 

“I won’t. I promise.” Taeyeon said.

 

“Then can I ask you not to see anyone and I shall do the same too? Since we both are traumatic from being cheated on, I suggest us to take it slow but committed not to see anyone else outside. Do you think that would be alright with you?” Taeyeon asked carefully, hand traveled to hold Tiffany’s hand over the table.

 

“I can do that.” Tiffany replied came almost immediately.

 

“It shall also mean I have to ask you to stop dating your admirers and firmly say no to any dating invitation you receive from someone but me.” Taeyeon remarked.

 

“Getting possessive already, aren’t we?” Tiffany teasingly smiled.

 

“Well.. if you can-“

 

“Of course I can and I am willing to do that, Taeyeon. I won’t date anyone but you.” Tiffany smiled, flipping her hand so their hands were intertwining with each other.

 

“Thank you and I promise I won’t date anyone but you. Baby steps, alright?” Taeyeon couldn’t help but smile along, feeling relieved and glad that her feelings were reciprocated.

 

“Baby steps, Taeyeon.” Tiffany squeezed Taeyeon’s hand slightly as confirmation.

---

 

The breakfast might be over and their stay in Busan too had to end somehow because they had to go back to the station to catch the train schedule. If there was anything that was different was their commitment to being more than just normal friends.

 

They bought their lunch from the street food vendors near the train station. Taeyeon apologized they couldn’t make it to lunch in Busan because it would mean they would arrive in Seoul late. The usual Tiffany would be angry and expressed it with every gesture and flailing hands but this Tiffany was different; she nodded her head and asked Taeyeon to buy something which was very Busan-like so she would still enjoy Busan during her way back to Seoul.

 

Taeyeon felt full from the lunch they just had inside the train and was about to have a nap when Tiffany nudged her softly, asking to take pictures with her. Taeyeon frowned, asking why she would take it inside the common train since nothing special was going on. When Tiffany said because it’s their first day as being special, Taeyeon changed her mind; shyly nodded her head and let Tiffany held the phone’s camera to capture their photos.

 

The ride home was surprisingly quiet but the kind of peaceful quiet moments both parties felt with Taeyeon reading a book and Tiffany rested her head on Taeyeon’s shoulder comfortably; enjoying the view of green fields through the window and hoped that one day she could go to a place like this again with Taeyeon; maybe New Zealand would be a greater idea; Taeyeon looked like she would be a good shepherd while Tiffany would take lots of her pictures from the side. Or Slovenia sounded nice too with the beautiful lake and admirable landscape surrounding the country.

 

“What are you thinking of?” Taeyeon marked the page she was reading before closing down the book and putting it away.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“You are smiling to yourself and you look happy. Care to tell me what is inside your mind? I want to join the happy party.” Taeyeon said.

 

“I am admiring the view, Taeyeon.” Tiffany shortly replied.

 

“I can see that but did the view do something adorable that caused you to smile like that?” Taeyeon smiled along although she didn’t have any idea what it was about.

 

“I think it’d be great if we can visit other places that have an amazing view and landscape like Busan. I would recommend Europe or Northern America.” Tiffany lifted up her head from the window beside her so she could stare at Taeyeon.

 

“Korea has many places that have great views too, Tiffany. Or we can tour around Asia if Korea is not enough for you.” Taeyeon advised.

 

“Why Asia when we can go further?”

 

“Because it will take a longer time to explore Europe or America, Tiffany and you have your school while I have my patients. Maybe we can do it during Christmas until New Year because we will have longer holidays but I doubt we can have it before that.” Taeyeon wrapped her hand around Tiffany’s shoulder.

 

“I am not saying we have to do it immediately, Taeyeon.” Tiffany replied.

 

“You are right. Let’s wait until we both have similar days off, we still have plenty of time anyway. I understand it won’t be easy and we need the patience to adjust to each other. You are a student while I am a working woman and that alone has justified how different we are from each other. One similar thing we have is our feelings for each other and I hope that alone is enough to make us both compromising with the differences, Tiffany.” Taeyeon smiled reassuringly.

 

“Uhm.. I don’t know. I mean I like you, yes but you are a woman and it’s my first time having a special relationship with a woman. Unlike others, this time I really have feelings for my partner and it scares me a bit somehow because it’s been so long since I have felt it; these feelings are familiar and foreign at the same time, Taeyeon. I am not brave enough to hope that we can stay together for a long time but maybe if it’s possible, I’d like to try.” Tiffany exclaimed.

 

“It’s normal to feel afraid, Tiffany and honestly, I have my own fear too about this. It’s been only our first day together and we shall have lots of time to learn about each other. We will be there eventually and I tell you everything you want to know about me. Vice versa, you will tell me things related to you too, okay?” Tiffany nodded her head and smiled a little.

 

“Let’s not think too much. Give yourself a break. You can talk to me about anything and anyone, understand? You have me now so you have every right to occupy my time when I am not working and I will do my best to always be there for you, okay?” Taeyeon leaned in and pressed her lips on Tiffany’s temple.

 

“Do you think we will be good to each other?” Tiffany asked, unsure.

 

“Every good relationship starts with mutual feelings and since you like me and I like you too, I’d think we will be greater than just merely good, Tiffany.” The answer was sufficient to make Tiffany smile wider. She nodded her head, throwing her insecurity temporarily in the air, and embraced Taeyeon.

 

“I have forgotten how and I am not sure I can be one but I’d like to try being a decent special person for you, Taeyeon.” Tiffany affirmed.

 

“Let’s try together to be a decent person for each other’s, Tiffany. Inform me when you find habits in me that you don’t like. Tell me if I make mistakes that hurt you. Compliment me when I do things that make you happy and remind me that you are mine if I ever feel jealous. Lastly, remember that I am yours whenever you feel insecure. At least, those are the basics I know in being a decent special person.” Taeyeon rubbed her palm on Tiffany’s back. Tiffany withdrew her body and cupped Taeyeon’s cheek.

 

“Always kiss me to make everything better. That’s one lesson from me.” Tiffany said before leaning in and pecked Taeyeon’s cheek. It was merely for a second but enough to send shivers for both parties.

 

“I- I will surely remember that too.” Taeyeon felt like a teenager that had a crush on her junior that she blushed and awkwardly smiled.

 

“Good. Now let me have a nap on your shoulder.” Tiffany fixed her position and again placed her head on Taeyeon’s shoulder. A minute later and Tiffany’s breath became slower, an indication she had fallen asleep.

 

“I was just kissed by her, wasn’t I? Well yes, it’s only on my cheek but it’s still considered a kiss. And here I thought she wasn’t ready to have too many physical contacts with a woman since it’s her first time.” Taeyeon sighed, retrieving her book, and decided to just read again to pass the time.

---

 

They both now had arrived in front of Tiffany’s house or more like a mansion with the sky had slightly turned grey but it’s not raining nor it’s only dark; it’s only been cloudy and that’s similar with Tiffany’s saddened heart because it meant she had to get out from the car and ended her date with Taeyeon. Tiffany was very expressive and thus it was clearly written on her face and eyes how she actually didn’t want this day to end just yet.

 

“I am sure you have known this but I’ll still tell you nevertheless. We have arrived, Tiffany.”

 

“Stop calling me with my full name, Taeyeon. I feel like I am still your client when you called me that way. Find a shorter nickname so I would feel more special.” Tiffany replied with her eyes were still staring out through the window; viewing the mansion her family-owned, a very big one that was but somehow Tiffany didn’t feel like staying there no matter how it was completed with such facilities or how it was equipped by the most advanced security technology. Why? Simply because it didn’t feel like home.

 

“I will start calling you Fany then, but provide me a special nickname too.” Taeyeon smiled and Tiffany could see it through the windows’ reflection.

 

“Okay, Tae.” Taeyeon smiled hearing her new nickname given by Tiffany.

 

“You don’t look well. Shouldn’t you feel glad that you’re finally home? At least you will stop seeing my mundane face for a while until I have decided to go to a plastic surgery specialist and maybe sharpening my nose a bit or making double eyelids so I could see the world bigger.” Taeyeon tried to make a joke. She knew Tiffany lived a life where things weren’t normal. She might be rich but there were many things hidden under stacks of money she held and one of those was in compliance and dissatisfaction.

 

“Your ugly face is not completely unbearable. At least your lips are well-shaped.” Taeyeon’s breath hitched. Did Tiffany just throw her a suggestive innuendo or was it only her?

 

“Do you want me to make you feel better, Tiffany?” That irked Tiffany’s attention that the younger woman turned her head around, frowning.

 

“What do you mean?” Of course, Tiffany thought it was dirty speculation if Taeyeon said it that way.

 

“You told me in the train to always kiss you to make you feel better. So in a way, should I kiss you?” Taeyeon explained herself and Tiffany’s frown was gone just like that.

 

“I don’t know. Are you a good kisser? When was the last time you kissed someone? Because I vividly remember you told me the last time you were involved in a relationship was 2 years ago. Doesn’t it mean your kissing skill is rusty already?” Tiffany of course underestimated her although it was meant to be a silly witty remark.

 

“Why don’t you try it yourself? Since you’re the only person who has the right to kiss me now.” Taeyeon challenged. She leaned forward until her forehead was glued onto Tiffany’s one with the gap between her lips and Tiffany’s was merely an inch if not less.

 

“Then shut up and kiss me.” Tiffany reacted first, pulling Taeyeon by her collar and latched her lips with Taeyeon’s. It was a slow and tender kiss, far from one which filled with lust or ual desire, and yet it was not totally innocent. Tiffany cupped Taeyeon’s face and tilted the older woman’s head while trying to deepen the kiss. Taeyeon followed her lead and kissed Tiffany back as much as she could.

 

“So, how was it?” Taeyeon asked with a short breath.

 

“Not bad. I might have to try it again just to ensure.” Tiffany cleared and looked away. It was the first kiss that she shared with a woman and damn sure she didn’t hate it because she didn’t want to admit it was far better than any of the kisses she had experienced before.

 

“Thank you. Do you feel better now? Because we have parked the car here for over half an hour and I am afraid the security will come by any second if we stay longer.” Tiffany raised her eyebrow, feeling offended by the statement.

 

“You should have known by now that I really like your presence around me, Fany-ah and if I could, I still want to spend the day with you or even bring you home just so we can stay close with each other but I can’t do that. Your father will eventually send someone if not a group contains bulky men to find out where you are and maybe give me hard punches too in the process if I kidnap you. My ugly face will become uglier and you will leave me because I am the ugliest person on earth.”

 

“You’re exaggerating, you know that?” Taeyeon grinned, nodding her head.

 

“But you are right somehow. I have to go. When will I see you again?” Tiffany hated that she had to go home and separating herself from Taeyeon. It’s been only a few dates and here she was, already got accustomed to Taeyeon and her weird jokes which shouldn’t be funny at all, yet she liked it. And yes, she liked Taeyeon, too much if she could admit.

 

“Do you have class tomorrow?”

 

“I do.”

 

“My work is done at 6. Would you like to have a dinner date with me?”

 

“Send me the location and I will be there.”

 

“Ensure your chauffeur goes home after he dropped you there, okay? Because I want to drive my girl home after.” Tiffany smiled at the cheesy line.

 

“Okay. I really have to go now. Bye, Tae.” Tiffany leaned in and kissed Taeyeon’s cheek before opening the car’s door and walked through her mansion’s gate.

 

“What the hell just happened?” Taeyeon touched her lips and smiled, remembering the kiss she just shared with Tiffany. She ignited the engine and drove away after she was sure Tiffany was already inside by now.

 

Tiffany had changed her clothes and was ready for bed. It’s just she wasn’t sleepy and what occurred today was still unbelievable to her. She was basically a deep thinker, often overthinking even a trivial matter and asked herself, what would have happened if she did things differently. That’s being said, it’s totally understandable if right now she was lying down on her back and recollecting things that happened between her and Taeyeon today.

 

“I couldn’t believe we have kissed just like that and that I am the only one who can do it to her.” Tiffany stared at the ceiling, touching her lips, and shuddered when she recalled how it felt when she was kissing Taeyeon both physically and mentally.

 

“She is right. She is not a bad kisser at all.” Tiffany smiled at her own admission. She turned her body sideways and covered her face with a pillow, giggling beneath but too shy to reveal her face to the dark and empty room.

 

“What has she done to me? I have never felt like this for such a long time. Oh God, does it mean I really like her? But how about my reputation as a pleasure seeker?” Tiffany finally exposed her face back when she needed to breathe.

 

“Why should I care about that reputation when it doesn’t make me happy? It only sets me apart from commoners and that I am not only pretty by face and wealthy but I am much more than that. Taeyeon makes time pass too fast and makes me forget who I really am. What does it mean anyway?” Tiffany furrowed her eyebrows at the difficult question. What was the distinct feeling she had for Taeyeon?

 

“It’s only been our first day so I shouldn’t think too much.” Tiffany finally concluded.

 

She was playing with her phone when the home screen of her phone suddenly lit up and Taeyeon the helper name appeared. She didn’t think twice and quickly pressed the green button so she could hear Taeyeon’s voice. She reminded herself to change Taeyeon’s contact name later though.

 

“Hey, you’re home already?” Tiffany talked first.

 

“Yes. I just finished showering and changing into pajama. Did I disturb your sleep?”

 

“Not really. I am not sleepy yet and it’s barely 9 pm now, Tae. My sleeping time is far from now.” Tiffany pulled herself up, fixing her position so she would get more comfortable. After all, she was sure this gonna be a long conversation she had with Taeyeon.

 

“It is but we have a long journey before and you have a morning class tomorrow. It’d be wise for us to sleep early.”

 

“What if I don’t want to sleep early?”

 

“Then I will tell you about the boring topics ever so you’d rather sleep than hear me yapping endlessly.”

 

“Try me, Tae.”

 

“Oh, sure I will.”

 

Taeyeon did what she said to Tiffany; she told Tiffany how female elephants would conduct birthing, that the elephant would seek contact from other female elephants in her family unit so she would feel protected during labor; how female elephants would stay standing on her feet while giving birth. She also told Tiffany the size of the baby elephant once it’s just been born from its mother, that the baby’s weight would range from 120kg to 165kg in Africa while in Asia would be around 90kg. The story went on and Tiffany started to get sleepy; surely Taeyeon’s story about the life’s development of an elephant reduces her soberness eventually.

 

“You are right. The topic is boring and I better go to sleep.” Tiffany said while yawning.

 

“You bet I am.”

 

“I won’t even ask why the hell you know all about this elephant and its families because it would only lead me to a more boring story,” Tiffany stated and Taeyeon chuckled from across the phone line.

 

“Save yourself the trouble and say goodnight now, Fany-ah. Or next, I would tell you a story about the sloth; why it moves so slow and-“

 

“Fine. Goodnight, Taeyeon-ah. Don’t forget our date tomorrow or I will strangle you the moment I lay my eyes on you.” Tiffany felt her eyes became watery; she indeed was extremely sleepy. She didn’t know which affected her the most; the fact that she wasn’t interested in the elephant story or if actually, her body was tired from the short traveling.

 

“Goodnight, Fany-ah.”

---

 

It’s been few weeks since they had decided to officially date each other and Tiffany had never been happier before; she never knew the world had its bright spot to offer to her and that how her canvas of life could be colorful too since she was sure that her life only contained black and white as the dominant colours with grey as an additional one. Taeyeon’s existence in her life surely had changed many aspects including the way she reacted to things she hated, her point of view about the future, and the optimism that she never had before.

 

Tiffany preferred to spend her spare time with Taeyeon who really knew whom she really was rather than putting on her best façade in front of her friends and suitors. Yes, none had been told about her relationship with Taeyeon, not because she wasn’t ready to be judged or badmouthed but more because it was her personal matter that no one had the right to know. Besides, what would be the bright sides if anyone knew? None.

 

There were times when Tiffany felt doubtful, not because Taeyeon did mistakes Tiffany hated but rather because she was reminded of the person whom she claimed to love; the man who had shattered her heart to pieces that she had a hard time ever believe in someone again. But Taeyeon was like how her name meant; calm and yes she always managed to calm Tiffany down and told her soothing words how she would be more careful so it wouldn’t impair their relationship. After all, fighting moderately in a relationship was normal anyway.

 

Tiffany had spent less and lessened time with her friends. She would find various and creative reasons to escape and turn down their offers to go clubbing or simply wasting money doing unworthy things. She would personally drive her car to where Taeyeon was, including her apartment, and spent her time there; watching a rerun of sappy old movies on Netflix while munching on popcorns, talking about uncommon weird things like why Sloth moved very slowly or what would happen to this world if the fossils had been run out that people couldn’t continue producing oils or mining products. It was simple things they did but Tiffany loved it much more than the glamorous life she had been living before.

 

“I am hungry, Taeyeon-ah.” Tiffany rubbed her stomach.

 

“Let’s have dinner outside then.” Taeyeon turned the TV off. They were randomly watching a cooking show before inside Taeyeon’s apartment which triggered the monster inside Tiffany’s tummy to grumble.

 

“Why not just order take-outs like usual?” Tiffany pouted, refusing to leave the comfortable couch and warmth Taeyeon’s apartment had to offer.

 

“I want us to breathe fresher air and let’s walk down the Han River we haven’t managed to do so far. It’s a beautiful evening with a sky full of stars so it’d be a waste to skip this chance just to stay inside, Fany-ah.” Taeyeon tried to persuade.

 

“But I prefer warm air inside your apartment, Taeyeon.” Tiffany reasoned out, trying to stand up to her principle; staying sheltered inside.

 

“I will keep you warm even when we’re outside, I promise.” Taeyeon’s words surely had stirred Tiffany’s inside. How was Taeyeon very good with words? It’s so unfair for Tiffany and her supposedly sturdy and impenetrable heart.

 

“I will bring you a coat and cover your hands with the gloves. I will hold your hand for as long as we walk the same path outside and if the air feels too cold, I will kiss you to make you feel better.” Taeyeon exclaimed confidently with a genuine smile decorating her face.

 

As promised, Taeyeon helped Tiffany putting on her brown coat, a beanie to cover her head, and black gloves just so she would stay warm. It’s the month where the snow hadn’t yet to fall but chill enough to stay outside for long without protection. Taeyeon had started holding Tiffany’s hand ever since they left the apartment, inside the elevator, even when Taeyeon drove to the said restaurant.

 

What tasted better than a hot soup during the chilly night? Nothing and that’s why Taeyeon brought Tiffany to a moderately humble restaurant where they served sundubu jjigae as their best seller menu with other menus as side dishes. It didn’t take long for the waiter to be back with their soup over the steel bowl and ignited stove and serve it for Taeyeon and Tiffany. Of course, they also got them two portions of rice.

 

“The food is really nice, Taeyeon-ah and mildly spicy.” Tiffany made a comment after she had done eating.

 

“I am glad you like it.” Taeyeon nodded her head, wiping the corner of with a napkin.

 

“Say, Fany-ah. What is the thing you fear the most?” Taeyeon sipped her warm tea and put it back near the already empty bowl.

 

“Now that’s random.” Tiffany rolled her eyes.

 

“You like me being random. I won't bore you easily.”

 

“You always do whenever you insist me to sleep early.” Taeyeon had to chuckle at that statement, nodding her head and raised both hands in defensive mode.

 

“I will tell you first. I am afraid of time the most because it only knows how to move forward. It never lets me or anyone makes amends on things we wish never happened.” Taeyeon calmly shared her point of view.

 

“You said it as if there was something you wanted to do about your past. Don’t tell me it’s related to meeting me because I am yours now and you have to thank God for every second you pass the time with me inside your life. Period.” Tiffany folded her arms on her chest, arrogantly curving up her upper lip; forming a smirk.

 

“We all must have something we wanted to change about our past, Fany-ah. Time is cruel and heartless. It never let us has a clue about what shall happen next year or even the next hour. We have never been prepared beforehand for tomorrow’s discoveries. I don’t even know if I can die next hour because time didn’t tell me in advance.” Taeyeon’s smile was kind that Tiffany loosened up her defense and somehow she knew that she’s ready to tell Taeyeon the deepest secret she had kept for so long; the main reason why she never took anyone seriously.

 

“If you say it that way then maybe time is indeed scarier than my father.” Tiffany chuckled, bringing her coat closer to her body.

 

“Well, I cannot justify that since I haven’t met your father.” Taeyeon responded, smiling.

 

“I hate my past, Tae. Past has made me who I am now; someone who is prideful, arrogant, and well you know how I was and maybe still am occasionally. It’s not exactly the same with your fear for the time but I guess, past is a part of time nonetheless.” Taeyeon nodded at Tiffany, beckoning the younger woman to continue.

 

“I do understand and I can make a list down of things I like about you; the reasons why I accept you as someone special but I really have no idea why you like me. I hope it’s not just because I am pretty since it will make you the same person as my other suitors.” Tiffany bluntly said and it’s a lie if Taeyeon told her she didn’t feel offended by the baseless accusation but it’s not the first time Tiffany did it to her and obviously, it wouldn’t be the last time either so Taeyeon had learned to adapt instead of being bitter about it.

 

“There is something more that I see in you than just a pretty face on the surface. I know there’s a diamond heart inside the seemingly rebellious and obnoxious Tiffany Hwang and surely it took me quite a while and lots of efforts until I could expose who you really are as a person and now as a partner.” Taeyeon was determined and Tiffany couldn’t find the wavering words or untrue eyes while Taeyeon said those words to Tiffany.

 

“How can you be so sure?” Tiffany asked.

 

“I am not the best psychiatrist in town for nothing, Fany-ah. I am tested and assessed and trust me I know you are not a bad person the moment I laid my eyes on you.”

 

“Now that’s called as cheesy and flattering, Taeyeon-ah.” Tiffany rolled her eyes, feigning annoyance but her lips pulled up and her even teeth were shown up.

 

“So what is it about your past that you hate the most, Fany-ah? Do you want to share it with me or it’d be better for things to be left unsaid. I am alright with both options though.” Taeyeon moved her hand toward Tiffany and softly took Tiffany’s hand in hers.

 

“Let’s pay the bill and get out of here first. I wonder why you always choose the most crowded restaurant in town that we cannot stay for long to have a chat.” Tiffany raised her hand, the one that wasn’t held by Taeyeon of course, and asked for the bill.

 

“Because it’s normal for people to get attracted to something beautiful or delicious in this matter.” Taeyeon shrugged.

 

“I know I am beautiful, Taeyeon but thank you for the compliment. It never gets tiring to hear it from people, especially you.” Tiffany grinned widely.

 

“I mean it for the restaurant but you can always assume it applies for you too. My Tiffany is the prettiest after all. I have no objection to that.” Taeyeon pulled out stacks of money from her wallet and paid the bill. Little did Tiffany know that Taeyeon often chose restaurants that couldn’t be paid with cards so she could always be the person to pay for their meals. Tiffany might be rich but Taeyeon had her pride too at some points.

 

They walked hand in hand toward Taeyeon’s car. The older woman didn’t forget to turn on the heater to keep them warm during the fast and short journey to Han River. It was only 8 pm on Saturday night so it’s understandable if the road was packed and cars were aligned in the parking lot, having similar ideas to spend their evening with their loved ones while walking down the river.

 

Taeyeon kept holding Tiffany’s hand as they sought a quitter spot where only a few people would remain. There was a big tree and it’s more desolate than the path they have walked before. Taeyeon pulled Tiffany to the spot her eyes had landed on; spreading the folded carpet she had brought and asked Tiffany to sit with her.

 

“It’s crowded.” Tiffany said.

 

“It is. Do you find it uncomfortable? Should we go home instead?” Taeyeon asked worriedly. She wanted Tiffany to enjoy the night view of the bridge, river, and Seoul's beautiful lights in general but if Tiffany didn’t feel comfortable then maybe her apartment was a better option.

 

“Nah, it’s okay. The view is very beautiful here. I never knew this place exists before and we are not billed for seeing the view before us.” Tiffany smiled, chin tilted upward as she was gazing at the dark blue sky with lots of stars and a perfectly rounded moon in between.

 

“Thank you for bringing me here, Tae. Actually, thank you for inviting me to places I have never known existed before. It’s such a priceless experience for me.” Tiffany turned her head and smiled genuinely at the person who had the kindest heart she had ever known. Tiffany couldn’t hold back and leaned in, kissing Taeyeon softly.

 

“You’re saying it as if you want to say goodbye, Fany-ah. It’s scaring me, honestly.” Taeyeon chuckled jokingly.

 

“Why would I want to do that? Being with you is currently the only thing I could be thankful for; you did things to me more than you would ever know.” Tiffany searched for Taeyeon’s hand and held it tightly.

 

“And why is that?” Taeyeon scooted closer.

 

“I have once told you about my ex, right? Practically, what he did to me made me who I am, Tae. I wasn’t the woman like Tiffany whom you met the first time I consulted with you. He is not the first relationship I ever have but I am sure he’s my first love. My defense mechanism was like any normal woman would have; being easily swept off of her feet with butterflies freely flying and filled up my chest whenever he did sweet gestures for me; like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter