Pretentious

Traits
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“So why thinking negatively when you can actually make all your dreams come true? Remember, wealth, success, and happiness start from the small dream you all have. I didn’t say that you should keep on dreaming, but what I am saying is you should. No, you must transform dreams into reality. How? One of the simplest ways is by writing your goals on an A2 paper and attaching it on the wall.” Tiffany told the audience with so much confidence.

 

Tiffany was one of the most known speakers in town. She made a living by giving confidences and persuading her audiences to be more positive about live. Not only that, she was also active in some associations which engaged with people. She used to be a social butterfly back in college and often chosen as a representative from her university on a debate competition. She had the talent to persuade people so she used it as a way to earn money.

 

She worked in a consultant company; managing people, productivity, process improvement, managing team, cost-saving; those all some fields that her company could offer. She loved her job. The salary is quite big for someone who was only her age and the work hours so flexible. She would receive a monthly salary and if she got summoned by another company, she would receive extra money which would be enough to buy a sports motorbike. In short, Tiffany loved almost all the things that happened in her life. Why only most of, not all? Well, find out within the story.

 

“If you want to be a successful businessman or career woman, then set your objectives starting from when you’re still young. I used to do that too. I acknowledged my passion since I was still in high school. I know I like talking to people and advising them to do the best; ensuring them that they could be the best if they wanted.” Tiffany stood from her seat and walked around to see whether the audience put attention to what she’s saying.

 

“Then I told my sibling that I would be succeeded 10 years from then; I said that I could be rich and wealthy just by using my talent. Of course, none one believed. Instead, they mocked me, saying how I was just being a dreamer. Exactly 10 years from then, they finally admitted that I was right.” Tiffany smiled.

 

“I am sure some of you experienced the same thing also. Right?” Tiffany asked the audiences and soon, there were sounds that could be heard; some admitting that Tiffany was right and some just chose to be quiet; too shy to say yes.

 

“But of course that dream would be forever a dream if you didn’t do something about it. for example, madam. What is your name? Tiffany turned to one of the audiences.

 

“Yoona.”

 

“Okay. Ms. Yoona, what do you want to be 5 years from now?” Tiffany asked.

 

“I want to be HR Manager,” Yoona answered hesitantly.

 

“Why did you sound unsure?” Tiffany frowned, still smiling.

 

“Because I just moved to this department so my knowledge is so limited compared to people who worked in this field before me.” Yoona reasoned out.

 

“What is your position now?”

 

“Supervisor.”

 

“How many years has it been since you’re promoted as a supervisor?”

 

“Hmm.. 6 months.”

 

“If I am not mistaken, the minimum time the employees work in your company needs to be promoted is 2 years, right?” Yoona nodded as an aswer.

 

“Then you can upgrade your dream into becoming a senior manager instead,” Tiffany said in a cheerful tone.

 

“I know what most of you are thinking.” Tiffany then turned back to the audience.

 

“It is not possible, That is insane. There is still the current senior manager. I am not the only supervisor that wants to be a manager in that department. Etc.” Tiffany

added.

 

“I can proudly say, it is possible! You have tools for performance assessment, right? Aside from that, you can also have a project if you’re creative; making something that people couldn’t think of.” Tiffany continued.

 

The session went on for several hours more. Well, it’s a day session anyway. At the end of the day, people came out of the room feeling confident and positive. Most of the audiences agreed with what Tiffany had said while some were too stubborn and negative to even care. Tiffany felt happy, knowing that another day had passed and that she had succeeded to change people's mindset to be more positive and confident.

 

Tiffany was more like a celebrity than a speaker. She was beautiful, well-behaved, smart, rich, and generous. It’s rare to find the full package in a woman. But of course, even the most perfect woman had her flaw. Tiffany wasn’t proud of that but it’s not something that she could change. Only this time, her logic was unused because it’s her heart that had chosen; something that was so inevitable.

 

She appeared in a magazine, starred in TV advertisements and commercials. People loved her. It would take weeks even months to be able to present Tiffany as the speaker in the companies. Tiffany didn’t prioritize the payment; for her, who called and booked first would be served first. Her professionalism made her even more famous and liked by Seoul businessmen.

 

People loved her personality and men went crazy for her; her beauty, her elegance, graciousness, affectionate made men mesmerized and wanted to have her as a lover. Too bad, she always said no to every man no matter what background he may have. She rejected a rich man, a businessman, a son of a multinational company owner, a nephew of a president, anyone that tried to approach her.

 

No one felt betrayed or hurt for being rejected because Tiffany did the rejection in the most polite ways possible. She would say yes to the dinner and when the man confessed, she would give her best smile and used her talent to make people not get hurt. Well, it’s her gift to do that anyway. But one particular person always protested and groaned whenever Tiffany went out to have dinner with various men. And that woman named as Kim Taeyeon.

---

 

“No dinner with a man today?” Taeyeon asked her as soon as Tiffany entered the living room. The petite woman looked relax, watching the TV.

 

“Nope. Today is our anniversary. How can I leave you alone?” Tiffany smiled and leaned down to give Taeyeon a peck on her lips.

 

“Good to know. How was your work today?” Taeyeon stood up, helping Tiffany to remove her coat.

 

“Nothing unusual. I went to Yoona’s company today.” Tiffany informed.

 

Yoona was Taeyeon’s best friend back in high school. They also went to the same university as Taeyeon but she chose a different department. Yoona chose human relations while Taeyeon went to business management. They however still kept in touch and often had lunch together. Even until now, Taeyeon would meet Yoona at least once a week since their office buildings were close to each other.

 

Taeyeon met Tiffany when she was in college too. She was known as a social butterfly yet wasn’t the typically arrogant and evil one. Vice versa, Tiffany was humble and generous. Taeyeon met Tiffany when she went to the communication department to pick up her other friend, Sunny. Taeyeon and Sunny were in the same department but Sunny’s boyfriend was in the same department as Tiffany and that’s when love happened to Taeyeon. Tiffany got Taeyeon’s attention since their very first meeting.

 

Tiffany was used to be straight. She even had a boyfriend at that time and Taeyeon could swear she didn’t have other intentions but to befriending Tiffany. Good thing that Sunny’s boyfriend was a friend of Tiffany so it wasn’t hard for Taeyeon to know more about the woman that just captured her attention.

 

Tiffany was cheerful, Taeyeon was serious. Tiffany was sociable, Taeyeon was introvert. Tiffany loved to hang out in the mall, Taeyeon spent most of her time in the library. They were contrasts in everything but that’s also that made them compatible with each other. Taeyeon probable was the only one that reacted to Tiffany’s jokes and laughed whenever the younger woman laughed. Taeyeon was timid, but for Tiffany, she could be someone else, as long as Tiffany was happy.

 

In the third year, Tiffany’s boyfriend moved to the state since his parents had to leave the country for business matters. Tiffany was destroyed at that time. She had loved the man too much but she also knew that she couldn’t do long-distance relationships so she had to say goodbye to him and broke up. Taeyeon was there all along; when Tiffany cried, when Tiffany didn’t want to come out from her room, when Tiffany didn’t have the appetite to eat regularly, and when Tiffany need accompany to heal her broken heart.

 

Another year passed and now they were in the final year. The broken heart had finally been healed. A new man came into Tiffany’s life and she was happy for her heart was new and ready to love again. Unfortunately, it was different with Taeyeon. The poor woman had her heart taken by Tiffany. Never once, she experienced love, and when she did, why must it be with a woman? Why couldn’t she fall for a man like any woman do? Her heart had chosen Tiffany and she had to bear with it.

 

She didn’t want Tiffany to know, afraid the woman would be back away in fear. No, she didn’t want Tiffany to eliminate her as a best friend just because of her sinful feelings. If having Tiffany as a best friend was the best she could get, then she was willing to take that chance. She knew Tiffany was straight and liked a man so there was no way Tiffany would reciprocate her feelings. It was sad but it’s the truth she had to face.

 

The new man was getting closer with Tiffany. Most of their casual time would be filled with Tiffany talking animatedly about the man to Taeyeon. The poor woman could only hear it while telling her heart to be strong. Yes, it was painful and yes, it was unbearable. But, what else she could do?

 

One time, Taeyeon felt enough for every single time she met Tiffany, the latter would only talk about the man. She slipped her tongue and unintentionally confessed what she felt for the latter. Tiffany undoubtedly unexpected the brutal confession from the latter; resulting in her being panic and finally left Taeyeon alone. Tiffany was afraid. She never once thought Taeyeon had a different feeling for her.

 

They didn’t speak for months after the confession. Taeyeon didn’t want to make Tiffany even more afraid while Tiffany was still unsure about what she would do with her feelings and Taeyeon. People said that distance made the heart grow fonder. Well, maybe they were right for Tiffany missed Taeyeon more than she ever thought she would.

 

After 3 months of the separation, Tiffany approached Taeyeon to her dorm. She didn’t bother to say hello for the first time Taeyeon showed her face after months, Tiffany immediately hugged Taeyeon tightly. They didn’t need long and tiring conversation. Tiffany said she would try to change for Taeyeon; she was sure it wasn’t hard to fall for Taeyeon. Taeyeon had been the only one who knew Tiffany inside out. Tiffany didn’t need to pretend to be someone else when she was with Taeyeon.

 

Tiffany was right; her intuition didn’t betray her. She needed only months to fall for the latter. At first, Tiffany would be okay if Taeyeon often hangs out with Yoona and Sunny but as weeks gone by, the jealousy grew. She didn’t like how Yoona clung to her girlfriend or how Sunny loved to kiss Taeyeon whenever she got drunk. At that time, she finally realized that she too liked Taeyeon the same way.

 

“Oh. What is the topic for today?” Taeyeon looked amused. It’s not every day, Tiffany would meet Yoona. Usually, Taeyeon would meet Yoona alone without the companion of Tiffany. Oh well, even Taeyeon rarely went out with Tiffany thanks’ to her career.

 

“Transforming dreams into reality in business.” Tiffany proudly said.

 

“Hmm.. That sounds interesting.” Taeyeon commented.

 

“It was. Oh baby~ Happy third year anniversary. I love you.” Tiffany hugged Taeyeon and kissed her slowly.

 

“Happy anniversary, Fany-ah. I love you too.” Taeyeon said in between kisses.

 

“So, what have you prepared for me this year?” Tiffany asked curiously.

 

“Why should I always be the one to prepare something for you?” Taeyeon pouted.

 

“Err.. because you are manlier?” Tiffany chuckled.

 

“Ta-da! Two tickets to Paris!” Taeyeon showed the tickets that had been hiding behind her back.

 

“I knew it would be hard not to be noticed if we spent our time together here so I think Paris is safe enough, no?” Taeyeon smiled, feeling nervous for Tiffany hadn’t shown any reaction.

 

“Taetae~ Thank you for understanding. I love you I love you I love you.” Tiffany jumped and hugged Taeyeon tightly.

 

The thing was; it was not possible for Tiffany to go out without people noticing who she really was. Like it had been said earlier; Tiffany was more like a celebrity; a role model people would look up to. For people’s eyes; particularly workers who worked in companies; Tiffany was a person whom everyone wanted to be. She was flawless and that’s why no people must know that Tiffany’s lover was actually a woman. No, she wasn’t single and available like how she told everyone. But, no one was allowed to know whom she was dating currently.

 

Meanwhile, Taeyeon was an ordinary woman who worked as a manager in the budgeting and business development department in a manufacturing company. She was at the same age as Tiffany but their careers were totally different. In terms of salary, of course, Tiffany received more but that wouldn’t be an obstacle for them. They never thought of income as something important. What’s Tiffany’s was Taeyeon’s and vice versa.

 

“I love you too. So, when do you think you can have days off?” Taeyeon let go and pulled Tiffany to sit down on the long couch.

 

“Hm.. When will the tickets be expired?” Tiffany asked back. She knew Taeyeon was the type of person who was willing to spend much just for her.

 

“In 6 months. But baby, the anniversary will be overdue and the real meaning behind the celebration will be gone too. Will next month do?” Taeyeon said.

 

“I will take a look at my schedule first, Taetae. I promise I will try to make it approximately next month. For how long will we be there?” Tiffany reassured.

 

“I plan it to be one week. What do you think?” Taeyeon smiled, feeling contented that Tiffany would make it for both of them.

 

“Okay then.” Tiffany nodded.

 

“But, can we have an advance for now?” Taeyeon scooted closer and slowly rubbed Tiffany’s arm; hinting what she wanted.

 

“Nope. I am dirty. I want to take a bath first~” Tiffany playfully teased.

 

“I don’t mind the smell. You may go running around the field and I would still kiss you as usual.” Taeyeon insisted while smiling naughtily.

“But Taetae~” Tiffany tried to play hard to get.

 

“No buts please~ It’s our anniversary baby and rewards me for being so thoughtful and give you trip to Paris with the most amazing woman you have ever met, hmm?” Taeyeon lifted Tiffany from the coach and placed her on her lap.

 

“Why you~ So now you’re being insincere, huh?” Tiffany crossed her arms on her chest.

 

“Yes, I am missy and you owed me great for the ticket. Nothing is free nowadays~” Taeyeon wrapped her hands around Tiffany’s waist and pulled her closer. She then started to kiss Tiffany’s neck.

 

“Hngm.. not the couch~” Tiffany barely could stop Taeyeon. In fact, she tilted her head to give Taeyeon more access.

 

“Then let’s do it in Jacuzzi! Ouuwhh I am so excited! We have never tried that place since we installed it a month ago.” Taeyeon quickly lifted Tiffany and carried her toward the Jacuzzi placed near the balcony.

 

“Yah! I never said I would do it in Jacuzzi! It’s outdoor! People may see it!” Tiffany slapped Taeyeon’s arm and laughed for her lover was being silly.

 

“No they won’t! It’s protected by a high partition and we are on 14th floor, Fany! No more reasons and start using that mouth to kiss me instead.” Taeyeon carefully put Tiffany inside the Jacuzzi, still wearing the work attire.

 

“Yaahh. My clothes are wet.” Tiffany frowned.

 

“I am so gonna buy a new one tomorrow.” Taeyeon straddled Tiffany and led Tiffany’s hands to wrap it around Taeyeon’s neck.

 

“You are lucky I love you.” Tiffany sighed and followed the tug and kisses.

 

“And you are lucky I am creative when it comes to pleasure~” Taeyeon’s kisses moved to other places. Soon, a splash of water mixed with screams, muffles, and moans was echoed. And so they spent their night celebrating the anniversary.

---

 

“Baby where are you?” It was Taeyeon’s voice.

 

“I am in a meeting. I will call you later.” Tiffany quickly hung up before Taeyeon had a chance to reply.

 

“Who is that, Tiff?” The man asked.

 

“Oh. It’s my roommate. She asked me where I am.” Tiffany smiled.

 

“I thought it was your boyfriend. By the way, I heard from the news that you are still single, right?” The man continued the topic. Tiffany sighed, knowing how uncomfortable it would become when people started to ask about her status. What’s made it worse was the fact that the man who sat in front of her was her big boss; he was the company’s general manager in her division.

 

“Yes, I am Sir.” Tiffany politely answered.

 

“What do you see in a man? I mean, generally what is your type?” The man asked before sipping his drink. By now, they were out in lunch, having an informal meeting to discuss what kind of employees attitude had the potential to make companies bankrupt.

 

“Hmm. I never thought of one before. I mean, I will just see who he is and whether I like him or not as the time fly. In short, just go with the flow.” Tiffany brought the piece of meat to and chewed it slowly; mentally cursing Taeyeon for calling her in the wrong time and caused this annoying topic to rise.

 

“You don’t have a specific type?” The man asked again.

 

“I think it’s general, you know, smart with good attitude one.” Tiffany tried to answer it as short as possible but it seemed the man in front of her didn’t know when to give up.

 

“Should it be handsome and tall too? You know, most women like that kind of men; smell good, looking good, tall, great body and all.” The man pried further.

 

“Nah. I don’t see people based on appearance. It’s very unfair to judge people just because they aren’t perfect in appearance.” Tiffany shook her head.

 

“That’s very wise coming from you. If I am not mistaken, you are 27 this year, right?” The man smiled.

 

“Yes, Sir. Please stop reminding my age. I feel so old~” Tiffany chuckled.

 

“Actually, I have a son and he is 28 this year. He works as a lawyer and I start to get frustrated because he loves judges in court more than women. I am not trying to mismatch you with him, but will you do this old man a favor and have dinner with him?” The man finally said his intention and Tiffany could only sigh, knowing she would eventually say yes.

---

 

“Taetae, I am home~” Tiffany cheerfully said; feeling happy to know that she would meet her lover or more precisely, her fiancé since she said yes to Taeyeon’s proposal when they were in Paris a month ago.

 

“Tae? Hey~ Why you didn’t say something?” Tiffany took a peek and found Taeyeon inside their bedroom, reading a magazine.

 

“Taeyeon-ah. Are you alright?” Tiffany quickly came to Taeyeon and sat beside her. She took the magazine from Taeyeon’s hand and placed it somewhere else.

 

“I am okay. So, how was your date with him tonight?” Taeyeon flatly answered, looking annoyed. Tiffany knew this kind of Taeyeon wasn’t the one she could talk with calmly. She also knew what caused her fiancé to be this way and she had to admit that it was partially her fault.

 

“What date? Oh dinner with him? I wouldn’t call it a date if I were you. Well, since I already my fiancé here.”Tiffany tried not to be affected by Taeyeon’s solemn mood.

 

“Then what is this?” Taeyeon took the magazine back and had the liberty to reopen the page she hated the most.

 

“What? It’s just me and him for the magazine cover. Nothing else beyond that and you knew it. I have told you before the release of the magazine, Tae.” Tiffany sighed.

 

“Well. You look good together. Look at how your face is close to each other.” Taeyeon closed the magazine and threw it away.

 

“Tae, I don’t want to argue with you. I have nothing with him. It’s pure friendship.” Tiffany tried to explain.

 

“Yet you went out to dinner with him at least once a week. What kind of friendship relationship you have there? He clearly has an interest in you, Tiff. Don’t tell me you don’t even realize it!” Taeyeon uncovered the blanket and stood up, wanting to go out of the room already. She was too pissed to even have an argument with Tiffany.

 

“I don’t like your insinuation here, Tae.” Tiffany immediately stood in front of the door, trying to prevent Taeyeon from getting out of the room.

 

“I didn’t insinuate anything! Even the media knows what you two have there!”

 

“What media? What did you watch earlier?” Tiffany tried to ask calmly.

 

“Some gossip show where they talked about your closeness with that lawyer.” Taeyeon avoided the stare; she didn’t want to back out this time. She knew it wasn’t her fault for not believing in Tiffany. She went out too far anyway so it’s normal that Taeyeon was raging right now.

 

“You know that the only person I love is you. I wouldn’t say yes to you if I didn’t love you. We wouldn’t last this long if we didn’t love each other. Why suddenly you don’t believe me anymore?” Tiffany asked; walking closer to Taeyeon, trying to reach Taeyeon’s hand.

 

“And we have been like this since we’ve been official. I am tired of being hidden, Tiff. I always get angry and feel so meaningless whenever you told them that you were single and available; that you currently focus on your career instead of relationship.” Taeyeon halted, walking back to the bed and sat on the edge.

 

“It always makes me think; Then what am I to you? Does what we have is not real? Do you love me for real? Will there be a future for us? Will we get married someday?” Taeyeon bent her knees close to her chest, made an attempt not to let the tears fall.

 

“Hey. You know it’s not right. You are my fiancé; my soon to be the wife and what we have is truly real. I love you and yes, we will have a great future and get married too.” Tiffany answered all the questions.

 

“But when, Fany-ah? We’re not getting younger and things haven’t changed even after all these years. You would still ask my permission to have dinner with random men just to save your image; to show them that you are straight when in fact, your lover is a woman.” Taeyeon sadly exclaimed.

 

“I am tired, Fany-ah. I used to be so possessive and jealous that you had to do various things just to persuade me to say yes for those dinners with those jerks but lately; did you acknowledge how easy it was to ask permission from me? I would say yes even before you finished asking. Do you know why?” Taeyeon smiled a little.

 

“Because a career is important to you and you are important to me. See how it links now?” Taeyeon reached out to caress Tiffany’s cheek.

 

“But it doesn’t mean it hurts less whenever I said yes and knew how you were out to have a romantic dinner or maybe lunch too with someone that is not me.” Taeyeon’s anger gradually vanished.

 

“I am sorry.” Tiffany cried hearing the confession. This was the first time Taeyeon being honest about that.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter