Materialistic

Traits
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Hi Mom, Dad~ Oh. Annyeong, Grandma!” Taeyeon with light steps entered the vast living room and greeted the people there. She then occupied a single couch and placed her legs on the coffee table.

 

“Hi, Tae! Where have you been, darling?” Her mother warmly asked. She didn’t even protest about Taeyeon’s ill-manners. Taeyeon was her only daughter from her marriage with Kim. Taeyeon’s parents had to wait for 5 years before finally got Taeyeon as her daughter. After Taeyeon, Mrs. Kim was diagnosed with a rare disease that made her womb had to be lifted.

 

“Oh. Just spoiling myself with new baby~” Taeyeon grinned.

 

“You bought yourself a new car? What is it this time? Sporty one or a luxury one?” Her father asked while smiling. Taeyeon was indeed very spoiled. She got everything that she wanted. Her parents got the wealth and position so she only needed a blink to get a new car, or even a mansion if she wanted to.

 

“It’s a two-seaters car, Daddy. And it’s from Mercedes~ I finally got the red one!” Taeyeon pumped her fist to the air, feeling extremely proud. She needed to wait about a week before her wish for the red one was granted.

 

“Great job, Tae! I am proud of you.” Her father nodded and smiled along. From afar, the eldest amongst all had been greeting her teeth for holding her anger.

 

“ENOUGH!” Taeyeon’s grandma stood up and yelled.

 

“Whoaa.. What’s wrong with her?” Taeyeon asked while holding her chest.

 

“Shuusshh.” Taeyeon’s mother signaled. She just knew that her mother in law was strict and different. She respected her mother in law but at times, she didn’t know what’s going on inside her old mind.

 

“You! Il Sung! I never taught you to raise your daughter this way! She is spoiled, whiny, lavish, selfish, arrogant, and stupid! I won’t let her be Kim’s heir if she doesn’t change!” She continued scowling.

 

“Whoaa there. What happened, Mom? Why are you suddenly angry?” Taeyeon’s father approached his mother yet, the older woman stopped him.

 

“Stay where you are!” She glared and it was like a brake for him. He didn’t move further.

 

“You! Do you really think it’s easy to earn money?! In real life, you wouldn’t be able to get money if you didn’t work! But you only know how to spend it carelessly. Have you ever known that there are many people out there that cannot even eat three times a day?!” She let out her frustration. She had been watching how her son and his wife spoiling Taeyeon for too long. This time, she couldn’t stay still anymore. She had to do something before Taeyeon’s attitudes became worse.

 

“Grandma, I know very well how to spend money wisely. That’s exactly why I only bought myself beautiful babies~ Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, and most importantly my Lamborghini and Ferrari. I don’t know what else to call them but lovely.” Taeyeon leisurely answered, making her grandma out of patience.

 

“That’s it! I never expected you to raise your daughter like this, Il Sung! I’m totally disappointed with you.” Grandma halted, trying to catch her breath.

 

“What’s wrong with her really? I thought I have answered her patiently and carefully.” Taeyeon grumbled. Little did she know that her grandma managed to hear every bit of it. The old lady clenched her fist, her nose was flaring with wrath.

 

“Mom, please don’t consider her playful answers something serious.” Taeyeon’s father suddenly felt afraid. He knew what his mother capable of when she’s angry and the last time she saw her being this mad was ages ago.

 

“Did I say something wrong, Mom?” Taeyeon turned to her mother and her mother beckoned her to stay quiet.

 

“We weren’t this rich decades ago. We started as poor people who could barely eat properly. Your grandpa didn’t even have enough money to continue his study. We were so poor that at times, we even searched for remaining food from the restaurant’s garbage. I raised your father well. He became humble, generous, and kind. But you.. You are totally his opposites! You are selfish, arrogant, and ignorant.” The old lady stated. Taeyeon felt offended and stood up.

 

“As you’ve said, it’s years ago! What had passed stays in the past, granny? Don’t mix present with the past because it’s different! Maybe you are poor but my father is not. He is rich enough to fulfill all of my needs. I really don’t understand why we even talked about this matter right now.” Taeyeon frowned. She was brave enough to stare right into her grandma’s eyes. She feared nothing. Heck, she got everything and she would be the only heir for all of her parent wealth.

 

“You’re going too far, Taeyeon. Go back to your seat.” Il Sung sternly said.

 

“What? I didn’t do anything wrong, Dad. Grandma called me bad names. It’s natural to feel offended by her words.” Taeyeon retorted.

 

“You don’t even have respect for you elder, moreover your parents.” The old lady sighed and went back to her seat. She took some time to calm down herself.

 

“If I’m not mistaken, all of our properties, including apartments, houses, mansions, companies, and cars are under my name. Right?” Taeyeon’s parents started to grow weary. They knew it would end badly.

 

“Yes, mother. What about it?” Il Sung hesitantly answered.

 

“Not really. Some of my babies are under my name.” Taeyeon added. Taeyeon’s mother glared at her and Taeyeon quickly zipped .

 

“Good. Starting tomorrow, I want your daughter to leave this house. She is not allowed to bring anything that is not under her name. All of her cards shall be blocked. She too cannot continue studying at our university. Find her a government college. Your allowance will be 3 million won, including your apartment rent, food allowance, fuel allowance, shopping allowance, etc. One more thing. My decision is not debatable.” The old lady seriously exclaimed. All eyes on her. They were shocked to hear such things from her. Yes, the old lady was firm and strict, but never to the point of expelling Taeyeon from the mansion.

 

“Wh-what? Grandma, you’re kidding, right? I can spend 1 million in a blink and now you told me I need to spend a month with only 3 million? That is impossible! Dad, say something to her~” Taeyeon tugged her father’s shirt.

 

“Mom, can you please reconsider? Taeyeon is our only child. We cannot let her live alone somewhere in a cheap apartment.” Il Sung pleaded.

 

“Il Sung is right. I beg you, Mom. Don’t separate us from Taeyeon.” Taeyeon’s mother stood beside her husband, pleading along.

 

“It is for her own good. We cannot let her be spoiled by both of you forever. One day, she needs to open her eyes and face the cruel world full of corruption, nepotism, and dirty politics. She wouldn’t be able to survive if she’s still like this. She has become too dependable to both of you.” The old lady wisely argued.

 

“We promise we will educate her better. Please..” Il Sung went down to his knees.

 

“Don’t do this, Son. I love Taeyeon and that’s why I did it. It’s for her future. She’s still young. It’s not too late to re-educate her from the beginning.” The old lady touched her son’s cheek softly.

 

“It’s my fault, Mom. Don’t let Taeyeon bear it.” Taeyeon’s mother begged on her knees too.

 

“I am sorry.” The old lady could only sigh.

 

“This is ridiculous. Can we stop this acting and pretend nothing happened? I am tired. I wanna go to my bedroom.” Taeyeon crossed her arms on her chest and intended to walk out from the living room.

 

“Good. Pack your things. I wish not to see you starting tomorrow afternoon. Well, you can still have breakfast here though.” The old lady went back to her firm attitude.

 

“So, this is real? Do you really want me to move out?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“The heck with all of these! Whatever! I assure you that you won’t see me anymore around the house.” Taeyeon angrily slammed the door behind her.

 

“Look at what you’ve made of her.” The old lady muttered. Taeyeon’s parents couldn’t say a thing.

---

 

Taeyeon was indeed childish and spoiled. She always took things lightly, thinking that she should never think too much since she got it all with her. She did exactly the same things when her grandma wanted her out of the house. She thought it was only a bad joke and everything would turn to its place the day after. She was wrong. Her grandma was nothing but serious and Taeyeon had to take the consequences of her ill-manners.

 

Taeyeon never knew what kind of life she would face out there. She never thought the world outside was totally different from what she had been imagining. She used to be so rich that she could get any women and men she wanted; she only needed to give the stacks of money and voila, they would willingly do anything Taeyeon said in bed.

 

She had many wealthy friends. Taeyeon loved spending time with them. She didn’t even mind if she would always be the one to pay for every bottle they drank or every plate they ordered. Taeyeon merely needed to call after the waiter and placed her card on it. Then, the business was done before she knew it. However, her cards were totally useless now.

 

She loved throwing things she thought she didn’t need anymore. She never had clothes that lasted for more than a month. She would wear it once or twice before giving it to the maids or simply threw it away. She thought of washing it or giving it to laundry services was too much of a hassle. Why should she trouble herself when there’s an easier way? Well, that’s when she still had the money of course.

 

She was lazy almost in everything. Perhaps, partying, drinking, and having were exceptions. She never did her bed; she threw her bags and clothes on the floor. She always left her shoes far away from the shoe racks, and she didn’t remember she ever hang the towel correctly. It’s not something odd if her current place looked horrible, starting from the living room and way to go to her bedroom.

 

Taeyeon loved eating delicious and extravagant food. She only needed to order the chef to cook something she felt like want to and the day after, the food would be served nicely on her table. She never once grimaced for tasting homemade cooking made by her chef. It was always delicious. The ingredients were fresh and not even a spot was darkened due to improper cooking. She lived a life that everyone wanted. Sadly, she wasn’t wise enough to appreciate how lucky she was until everything was taken away from her.

 

*Ding Dong*

 

“Ugh! Who the heck is that? Doesn’t she know that I’m still sleeping!” Taeyeon protested. She took a nearby pillow and put it over her head.

 

*Ding Dong*

 

“It’s better worth my time!” Taeyeon finally got up. She threw the pillow to the floor and walking toward the front door.

 

“Good morning to you too, Taeng! And as usual, your place is worse than hell.” Sunny sarcastically said. Sunny was the daughter of the landlord or we could say, the apartment owner. She was the same age as Taeyeon and even studied at the same university.

 

“What is it now, Sunny? I have paid my rent last week! Can’t you let me sleep peacefully?” Taeyeon growled. She surely didn’t have a good morning. Heck, her life was terrible the day she went out of her old mansion.

 

“Yep. Usually, a guest would be invited to come in but this time, me, as a guest don’t even want to come inside. Seriously, Taeng! You only go study 3 times a week! Don’t you have time to tidy up your apartment?!” Sunny frowned.

 

“None of your business. What do you want?” Taeyeon retained an annoyed expression.

 

“Right. I remember you said that your allowance is not enough to buy the apartment rent and that’s why my parents stupidly let you pay only 80% of the total amount. Just now, a young woman came to me, asking whether there’s a vacant room. I thought you’d be interesting to split the rent payment with her. What do you think?” Sunny asked.

 

“Hmm.. Wait. Let me get my calculator first.” Taeyeon let the door opened and went to get her accounting machine.

 

“How stupid can you be? And I thought you want to graduate from your Business Major.” Sunny commented.

 

“I heard that!” Taeyeon screamed from inside. Sunny chuckled.

 

“Hmm.” Taeyeon pressed the number on her calculator while Sunny was waiting impatiently.

 

“Sighed. How poor can I be~” Taeyeon rubbed her not so itchy head.

 

“Come on, it’s not time to pity yourself~ You are poor because you manage your money poorly. Your allowance is alright in my opinion.” Sunny tapped Taeyeon’s shoulder.

 

Taeyeon had been staying in this apartment for 2 months which meant it had been 4 months since she was kicked out of her house. At first, she rented a bigger and more expensive one. She sold one of her babies so she got lots of money from that. However, Taeyeon was still Taeyeon. She used all the money to go partying and drinking. She treated her friends and paid the bill with cash. She still hated to wash so she dumped her old clothes and bought new ones. She hired a maid to serve all that she needed. The maid was expensive though since she had to be good at cooking, tidying, and being patient. One month after, she was again kicked due to being unable to pay the rent.

 

She went to the second apartment, a slightly smaller one than the previous one. She told herself that this time, she had to successfully manage her money. She didn’t waste her clothes. Instead, she brought it to the laundry and put it there. Surely, she chose the best laundry place even it cost her a lot. She still hired a maid, a cheaper one this time. She was no longer choosey with food. She let her maid decide what to cook for her. Poor Taeyeon for changing wasn’t still enough. She was still lack of money and finally, she moved to Sunny’s parent's apartment.

 

It didn’t take long for Sunny to be close with Taeyeon. Taeyeon’s friends' departure from her life eventually. First, because Taeyeon was no longer studying in the prestigious university and lastly because they thought Taeyeon’s parents had become poor that Taeyeon had to live in an apartment with only a little money as an allowance. Taeyeon was badmouthed by people she thought of as best friends. Taeyeon became a loner and introvert. She would only make time for Sunny. She would go back and forth from her place to university. Once her class ended, she wouldn’t waste a single second to stay around. Let’s just say, she was traumatic of best friends.

 

“Don’t insult my money management skill, Bunny. I’m still at the learning stage you know~” Taeyeon pouted.

 

“Well then hear my advice. I have met her, even only for once. My guts saying that she’s a good woman. I’m sure she can get along with you and vice versa. Just try for a month. If you don’t like her then I’ll search for another room for her. How about that?” Sunny smiled.

 

“Do you think it’s the best?” Taeyeon turned off her calculator.

 

“Yep! I never mislead you, do I?” Sunny wagged her eyebrows.

 

“Right. Okay then. When will she move in?” Taeyeon nodded.

 

“Supposedly two days from now and-“

 

“What?! Are you for real!? She will back out the moment she glances inside my messy apartment!” Taeyeon interjected.

 

“Yep! Good thing you don’t have class tomorrow. I’m sure you know what you should do with your apartment.” Sunny grinned, obviously mocking Taeyeon.

 

“I know you don’t have class too tomorrow. I will pick you up at 8 tomorrow. Have a good day, Bunny. I love you.” Taeyeon quickly closed her door before Sunny had time to respond.

 

“Damn that midget!” Sunny muttered.

 

“Hey, I am taller than you!” Taeyeon laughed from the other side.

---

 

*Ding Dong”

 

“Omo! Is it her? Wait! Bedroom checked, toilet checked, living room checked, kitchen checked! Okay, everything is good~ Fiuuh, it took me hours to clean this up. Good thing I have Sunny with me.” Taeyeon ran from her bedroom and passed the living room.

 

*Ding Dong*

 

“Wait up!” Taeyeon yelled. She stopped in front of the mirror to check her appearance. Once she was sure she’s looking good, she went to the door. She looked around and secretly felt thankful for having Sunny as her friend. She was different from any other friends she used to have. Sunny was transparent. She said what’s inside her mind, unlike the pretentious friends she had before.

 

“Hi, Taeng! This is the newcomer I have told you about! Tiffany, this is Taeyeon and Taeng, this is Tiffany; your new housemate.” Sunny smiled and introduced them two.

 

“Oh. Hi. I am Taeyeon. Nice to meet you.” Taeyeon offered her hand.

 

“I’m Tiffany. I hope we can get along well.” Tiffany smiled and shook Taeyeon’s hand.

 

“Okay then. I leave Tiffany to you. I gotta go to now, Taeng. The class will be started in 15 minutes! Until then! Call me if you need anything, Tiff!” Sunny said while running.

 

“Alright!” Tiffany said a little bit loudly, making Taeyeon almost jumped due to her loud voice.

 

“Ah. Come in, Tiffany-sshhii.” Taeyeon tried to be polite as much as she could. Yes, she had changed for the better thanks’ to Sunny.

 

She used to have bad manners. She could even be considered the most selfish person alive in this world. That, until she met Sunny. As been said before, Sunny was transparent. Add blunt to it too. She would say whatever inside her mind without being bothered to filter it beforehand. She insulted Taeyeon carelessly, calling her names that made Taeyeon almost grabbed a plastic wrapper and wrapped it around Sunny’s mouth.

 

Yet, that’s just a little bit of what Sunny had done to her. Sunny didn’t hesitate to knock Taeyeon’s head when Sunny thought it was needed. Like when Taeyeon didn’t treat her parents with respect or when Taeyeon broke the sink and didn’t feel bad about it. At first, both Taeyeon and Sunny were fed up with each other. They were like water and fire. They fought all the time that Sunny threatened her parents to move out if her parents insisted that Taeyeon didn’t need to move out.

 

Sunny’s heart was touched one afternoon before the lesson started. Sunny was walking toward the gate when a biker was coming from behind with unbelievable speed. Fortunately, there was Taeyeon who pushed her out of the way so Sunny was saved before the biker got time to hit her. Starting that time, Sunny tried to understand Taeyeon in ways she never did before and Taeyeon tried to be more respectful toward people who were older than her.

 

Taeyeon used to have both women and men to fulfill her ual needs but now that she got no money, she only had her filthy fingers to satisfy her. It was a lie if Taeyeon never considered Sunny as someone she wanted to date. Vice versa, Sunny knew Taeyeon was interested in her. Yet, before Taeyeon’s feelings got deeper, Sunny had told Taeyeon that she was into men only. Taeyeon understood and so she had stopped whatever odd feelings she used to have previously. Now, their feelings were pure regarding friendship.

 

Yes, Taeyeon still retained her fingers as one and only media she could use to moan her own name on lonely nights while watching her collections. Well, now that Tiffany was here, she couldn’t possibly do that any longer, could she? Beautiful was an understatement. Tiffany was truly attractive. She didn’t need heavy make-up to cover for her flaw because she was already flawless in Taeyeon’s eyes. But no, Taeyeon had learned her lesson so looks weren’t the first priority to make her fall in love.

 

“You can just call me Tiffany and I will call you Taeyeon.” Tiffany smiled. Yep, her killer smiles.

 

“Oh. Right. Follow me, Tiffany. I will show you your room.” Taeyeon led the way. She didn’t forget to help to bring the luggage to Tiffany. Luckily, her attitudes had changed for the better and yes, that’s all thanks’ to Sunny.

 

“Thank you.” Tiffany nodded and followed.

 

“Here is your room. It’s kind of dusty since it was never been used.” Taeyeon shyly smiled.

 

“It’s fine. Where is your room?” Tiffany placed her bag on the bed.

 

“Just across yours. I will leave you alone for now. I will be in my room.” Taeyeon carefully put down the luggage and bowed.

 

They started as acquaintances. That too took a considerable amount of time. Unexpectedly, Tiffany was independent while Taeyeon was spoiled. Tiffany was loud while Taeyeon was quiet. Tiffany was diligent while Taeyeon was lazy. Tiffany was stingy while Taeyeon was extravagant in a way. Tiffany was weird while Taeyeon was weirder. They were opposites with each other, more than how Taeyeon used to with Sunny. It’s been only a month but it surely felt like a year for both parties.

 

“Taeyeon! Don’t put your dirty clothes everywhere!” Tiffany yelled from the kitchen area.

 

“Just leave it there for a while. I will bring it to laundry after this.” Taeyeon replied from her room. Thinking that the debate had ended, Taeyeon took back her book and returned to her earlier chapter. She loved reading romance novel and that’s what she’s doing now.

 

“How useless can you be?! Why did you spend money on washing when you can do it yourself?! We have washing machine for your info.” Taeyeon was startled seeing Tiffany standing in front of her opened the door.

 

“Whoaa! Don’t just barge in!” Taeyeon rubbed her chest.

 

“Stop reading and come here with me!” Tiffany put down the book and dragged Taeyeon to the washing room.

 

“Why are you taking me here?” Taeyeon asked frustratingly. Tiffany surely knew how to piss her off. She was bossy and demanding. She always told Taeyeon to do this and that. Taeyeon hated Tiffany for that. She used to admire Tiffany for her beauty but that only lasted not more than a week. The real Tiffany then revealed, making Taeyeon lost her interest in the latter.

 

“I’m gonna teach you how to do laundry by yourself.” Tiffany stated.

 

“I don’t need to. I still have money to bring my dirty clothes to the laundry service. Why would I trouble myself by doing it on my own?” Taeyeon uninterestedly answered.

 

“Because I know in order to pay for laundry services, you have to eat ramen for a week. I notice how you stock a dozen of ramen inside the cupboard, Taeyeon. That is not healthy. You can die faster that way.” Tiffany lowered down her voice tone.

 

“I… How did you find out?” Taeyeon was speechless. She was sure, she hid it very well.

 

“I just did. You can reduce cost and change for healthier food by washing your clothes on your own. I assure you, it’s easy.” Tiffany smiled. One of Tiffany’s traits that Taeyeon didn’t dislike was how friendly and kind she was at times. Yes, she was demanding and oh so bossy but she’s still a good person nevertheless.

 

“Why do you care?” Taeyeon was still stubborn.

 

“Because you are my friend and I don’t want my friend to be sick and lack nutrition.” Tiffany smiled wider.

 

“Come here. I will teach you slowly.” Tiffany took Taeyeon’s hand and started to teach Taeyeon how to use the washing machine. That day was over with Taeyeon left her novel and washed her own clothes for the first time.

 

Days passed and Tiffany started to teach Taeyeon other things as well; things that Tiffany thought would come in handy should Taeyeon able to do it. She taught Taeyeon how to iron the clothes, how to prepare simple food like fried rice and chicken soup, and how to sweep the floor properly. Taeyeon had become a little bit useful; she could be said as half-independent. Taeyeon had become more open toward Tiffany but sadly, Tiffany still kept her distance. It’s weird how friendly Tiffany could be; she had many friends and reliable but she’s not that open about herself. Even Taeyeon didn’t know much about her after living under one roof for three months.

---

 

“Do you know why you are here?” The lecturer who summoned Taeyeon asked.

 

“I have no idea. Did I do something wrong? I have fixed my attitudes and always come on time lately.” Taeyeon shrugged.

 

“It’s not about you. It’s related to Tiffany.” The man in front of her said.

 

“What about her?”

 

“I heard you’re living in one apartment with her, right?” Taeyeon nodded.

 

“Are you close with her?” The man asked again.

 

“You may say that. We spend our time together when we don’t have class. There are times she would excuse herself to go somewhere but it’s only once a month or so. Why are you asking this?” Taeyeon suddenly remembered how Tiffany would go somewhere she wouldn’t tell on 25th of every month. She respected privacy so she didn’t pry further.

 

“Well, actually it’s not about that. Sighed. Where should I start..” The man halted.

 

“I often summon her here, you know.” He started.

 

“What? Why?”

 

“Let me finish first.” Taeyeon fixed her position and listened attentively.

 

“I am not sure if you ever heard it, but people call her materialistic. She would do your homework for 10,000 won. She would go to your class and absent, pretending it was you and being unknown by the lecturer if you’re lucky for 20,000 won. She would even go as far as pretending as your girlfriend for prom or to attend any events for 50,000 won.” The man explained. Taeyeon was sure she was about to have a heart attack. She never knew any of that.

 

“Judging your expression, I assume you don’t know any of this.” Taeyeon gulped and nodded her head again.

 

“I didn’t mean to badmouth her in front of you. I thought you knew and if you did, maybe there’s a way to help her. I don’t know why she needs money to that extent. I want to find out. Can you help me with that?” The man politely asked.

 

“I.. wow.. I never knew any of this. Are you sure your info is reliable? I know she’s detailed when it comes to money. Outside of college, she works as a waiter and singer in a café. I thought that’s kind of normal for a woman her age but I don’t know that she would do anything in university as far as doing people’s homework or pretending to be a man’s girlfriend for money purposes.” Taeyeon responded.

 

“While you’re at it, can you please keep it as a secret? I am just worried about her. She is a very nice woman. She is smart and polite. I don’t want bad things to happen to her.” The man said.

 

“Yes, Sir. I won’t tell a soul about this. I’ll get back to you when I have info.” Taeyeon stood up and excused herself.

 

Taeyeon was unable to sleep peacefully since that day. Like her lecturer, she too cared about Tiffany’s well-being. She too never told Tiffany how she was actually rich but her grandma punished her that she had to live a life like this. That’s why Taeyeon never pried Tiffany to tell her about herself. Everyone had a secret, including Tiffany. Tiffany only knew that Taeyeon’s parents lived in a remote area and that she came from mediocre families while Taeyeon only knew that Tiffany came from states and had to live independently. Imagine how many more secrets both parties hid with themselves?

 

Taeyeon knew it would disrespect Tiffany’s privacy that she was now all eyes and ears on Tiffany, but she had no other choices. Tiffany’s additional works were dangerous. What if someone misused Tiffany? What if the man hired Tiffany wasn’t a good man and ended up harassing her ually? Taeyeon felt migraine whenever she thought about that.

 

“Tae~ Taeyeon!” Taeyeon felt a hit landed on her shoulder.

 

“Yah! What was that for?” Taeyeon caressed her shoulder.

 

“For ignoring me!” Tiffany retorted.

 

“Sighed. What is it?” Taeyeon turned to the beautiful woman beside her while wondering what kind of life Tiffany had been living that she had to work hard in order to earn money. If only Taeyeon still had money with her like how she used to, she wouldn’t hesitate to give Tiffany a sum of money enough to live for a year.

 

“I said, I would get going now.” Tiffany informed.

 

“Oh. Your monthly ritual?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“Yes. My monthly ritual. I’ll be back late. Don’t wait for me.” Tiffany chuckled. She went to the door followed by Taeyeon.

 

“Take care.” Taeyeon smiled and accompanied the latter to the elevator.

 

“I will. See you at home.” Tiffany waved her hand and finally the elevator went down, leaving Taeyeon wondering where Tiffany would go. Taeyeon waited about a minute before running down the stairs and knocking on Sunny’s door.

 

“God! Can’t you stay calm for a moment? I heard your knocking!” Sunny scolded as soon as she opened the door.

 

“Hurry, Sunny! Gimme the car’s key!” Taeyeon said anxiously.

 

“Alright alright. Wait a second.” Sunny went inside for less than 30 seconds and came back to give Taeyeon her car’s key.

 

As time went by, Taeyeon became more open with Sunny. She told Sunny the real thing about herself; how she used to be so wealthy yet had to have her pride declined due to her negative attitudes. Sunny was the one who taught Taeyeon how to ride on public transportation. She too promised the latter that she wouldn’t tell a soul about who Taeyeon really was.

 

Taeyeon brought two babies with her when she was kicked out of her house. One of them had been sold due to her incapability of managing money. She entrusted the last one to Sunny. She gave the car’s key along with its documents so she wouldn’t be able to sell it. She loved this one the most so she didn’t want to sacrifice this one too. She only could use it together with Sunny. Usually, she would drive around the town once a week with Sunny. She too couldn’t use it too often due to its pricey fuel.

 

“Promise me that you wouldn’t sell it?!” Sunny threatened.

 

“Lord, Sunny! I want to use it to follow Tiffany. I have told you about her, haven’t I? I don’t want something bad happens to her!” Taeyeon reasoned out.

 

“Why do you suddenly care? She has been doing this for God knows how long and she’s okay up until now. Wait. Do I smell some attraction coming from you?” Sunny smirked.

 

“Whatever. I don’t have time for this silly conversation. We’ll continue it once I get back.” Taeyeon grabbed the keys from Sunny’s hand.

 

“Good luck and be careful!” Sunny waved and smiled.

 

Taeyeon kept on running until she spotted her baby. It was the very first car she got from her father. He gave her as a birthday present when she was 18th. Perhaps, it’s already 3 years since she got this one but heck, she would still get millions of won should she want to sell it. She rang the alarm and opened the door. She roared her machine and went out, praying she wasn’t too late to chase Tiffany.

 

Her prayer was heard. From afar, she could see Tiffany was waiting for the next bus. She stopped her car not far from where Tiffany was. She was sure Tiffany wouldn’t be able to see her. Hey, she had the windows tinted so there’s no way Tiffany could see her, unless if Tiffany was a mage. The bus soon came and Tiffany got inside. Taeyeon prepared herself to secretly follow the bus until the latter got down. 30 minutes of following conducted by Taeyeon. She started to get bored since the speed is too slow to her liking. Not long after, the brunette got off and Taeyeon never felt happier.

 

Tiffany walked to one of the buildings. Taeyeon frowned or the building that Tiffany entered was the shady one. From the outside, it looked like it’s an old building with cheap rent. Taeyeon had no idea what kind of business Tiffany would have there. Taeyeon braced herself and decided to just follow and go inside. A part of her was afraid but another part of her was worrying. She could only pray she could make it out alive.

 

“Good afternoon. How may I help you? Have you made an appointment?” The receptionist greeted her.

 

“Not really. May I know what kind of business the owner has here?” Taeyeon asked back.

 

“Oh, we are good people who love to help people in need. We lend money, saving people from bankruptcy. Well, with little profit of course. So, do you want to borrow money or something? If yes, this is the form you need to fill. Inform about your assets and such. We will calculate the money we can lend you along with its interest. Don’t worry, you are allowed to pay it gradually; monthly, quarterly, per semester; whichever you prefer.” The young woman behind the desk explained and it’s enough for her to know what kind of business Tiffany was involved in.

 

“Sure. Can I take the form with me? I will ask my parents first and get back to you after.” Taeyeon lied.

 

“Please do.” The woman gave the form paper and didn’t forget to smile.

 

“How much money did you borrow from this company, Fany-ah?” Taeyeon talked to herself while walking back to the car.

 

“Is that why you need that much money? To pay them back? But, why would you need to borrow money anyway? You are not the type of person who spends money on the useless business. Unlike the old me.” Taeyeon sighed. She then waited inside her car., hoping Tiffany wouldn’t take long inside.

 

Taeyeon was sleepy and hungry. She forgot she hadn’t had lunch. She wanted to go to buy simple hotdog or donuts but she was afraid Tiffany would go out and leave before she returned. She rubbed her grumbling tummy, praying that Tiffany would get her mental message to quickly leave the place.

 

Approximately 15 minutes after she protested, Tiffany went out with different expression. She was frowning and her eyes looked red, it was like she just cried not long ago. Her lips pursed and sweats dampened her flawless face.

 

“I wonder what happened to her?” Taeyeon spoke again to herself.

 

“Now I know where she goes every month. She goes here to pay her debt!” Taeyeon finally made a conclusion after she had witnessed the company along with the form the receptionist gave her. Seriously, Taeyeon. How dumb could you be~

 

“Will she take the bus back to the apartment? If so, then I need to speed up so she wouldn’t notice I have been gone following her.” Taeyeon got ready, watching Tiffany waiting for a bus.

 

“Wait! Why didn’t she take that bus!?” Taeyeon gasped.

 

“Where will she go now? Sighed~ Seriously, Fany-ah~ Aren’t you tired already?” Taeyeon complained yet kept on following Tiffany.

 

It was revealed that Tiffany went to a graveyard. Taeyeon didn’t know much about Tiffany’s family background so she had no idea, whose grave that Tiffany visited. She saw how Tiffany’s eyes were on the road as she walked to a certain tombstone. Tiffany made a stop and she took a small flower and put it on the grave soil. Tiffany squatted and from a distance, Taeyeon could see that Tiffany was shaking. Taeyeon guessed that Tiffany was crying now.

 

“How dark is your life, Fany-ah? What kind of life are you living now?” Taeyeon didn’t know why she had a sudden urge to cry too. She felt sad just how seeing the crying Tiffany. It was like Taeyeon wanted to run and gave Tiffany her shoulder to cry on. And no, Taeyeon didn’t even grow some special feelings for Tiffany.. At that time.

---

 

“Fany-ah, what are you doing? It’s still early.” Taeyeon rubbed her sleepy eyes while dragging her body to Tiffany.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter