Cowardice

Traits
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Taeyeon turned off the engine and took time longer than usual inside her city car. She used the rearview mirror to see the reflection of her face. All she could see is a tired unhappy woman who lived her life like an hourglass. Whenever the sand started to run out, it would only need to be turned upside down and the sand would be refilled by itself. It’s tiring but well, it’s what life meant for her.

 

Financially, she was alright. She didn’t mean to be arrogant but she was only 27 years old within this year yet she had managed to buy a car, an apartment in the center of the town, and she got enough savings for traveling the world if she wanted to. Not only that, but she also had achieved her biggest dream which was to become a well-known solo singer.

 

Furthermore, she got additional money by being a DJ on a famous radio station in town. Everyone wanted to be like her but weirdly, if Taeyeon was given a chance to turn back time, she would do it immediately. Yes, she was rich and she got almost everything she needed with her. Almost. Because she couldn’t have a happy love life like how she wanted it. She got many fans and friends around her but still, at times, she felt lonely and that she couldn’t do anything but locking herself in her bedroom and crying.

 

Another sigh was released from her. Taeyeon unfastened her seatbelt and took the groceries on the backseat. She climbed off of the car and walked to the lobby, waiting for the elevator to pick her up. There was nothing special that occurred today. As usual, she just attended the event that her manager had set up and went to the radio station and did her work as DJ for 2 hours. Right after, she went home, didn’t forget to buy take away dinner for her and her roommate. The elevator dinged and she lifelessly entered, didn’t forget to press the number of floors she wanted to be brought.

 

“Fany-ah. I am hom-“ Taeyeon almost dropped her plastic bags. It wasn’t the first time she caught her best friend for more than a decade slash housemate kissing her boyfriend, yet it’s still hard to get used to it.

 

“Ah. I am sorry you have to see that, Taetae.” The woman called as Fany quickly pushed her boyfriend and smiled shyly at Taeyeon.

 

“It’s okay. I am used to it. I’ve bought you the food you asked me to. Pizza and beers, right? I will just put it in the kitchen.” Taeyeon tried to stay cool.

 

“It’s my bad, Taeyeon-ah. I can never get enough of Tiffany’s lips even when I’ve been doing that for almost a year.” The man grinned.

 

He had known that Tiffany still lived with Taeyeon. He however had asked Tiffany to live with him but Tiffany rejected him right away, saying that she couldn’t possibly leave Taeyeon alone. That matter aside, the man was fond of Taeyeon. She was a nice friend and was supportive of his relationship with Tiffany or that’s what he thought.

 

“Yah! Stop it already!” Tiffany giggled and playfully hit his chest.

 

“It’s fine. You can kiss her as much as you want now since I will directly go into my bedroom. It’s been a tiring day.” Taeyeon smiled. The couple smiled back at her until Taeyeon finally continued her journey and directed her to the kitchen.

 

Taeyeon clenched her fist on the plastic bag. She put the food she bought on the island. She hadn’t had her dinner. She thought she would have a late dinner with Tiffany. She didn’t know that her boyfriend would come and ruin her plan. It was probably a simple matter; finding your best friend making out in the living room, but it’s not for Taeyeon. And no, it wasn’t because Taeyeon had special feelings for Tiffany’s boyfriend. It was not also because she had grown feelings for Tiffany either. She didn’t know herself. She just didn’t like it. Period.

 

Taeyeon didn’t bother to spare a glance to the couple who were still in the living room. She heard the TV blasting sound so she thought they were watching DVD or something. She didn’t care and she wouldn’t care much about it. Just as she had said earlier, she was tired and the only thing she needed right now was her comfy bed.

 

Taeyeon retrieved her towel and sling it to her shoulder. She walked and grabbed her pajamas from inside the cupboard. She was thinking about whether to just wash her face or proceeding to take a bath. Since she was having a bad mood, she finally decided to just have a warm bath. Who knew it would brighten her mood, right?

 

Feeling more refreshed, Taeyeon got out of the bathroom with a small smile. A hot shower never failed to fix her mood somehow. She dried her hair and went to the dressing table. She sat on the small tool and again, saw her reflection from the mirror. She noticed the eyebags got darker, signifying that her lack of sleep had gotten more of her. She didn’t mind getting thinner since she was forbidden to get fat by her manager but she didn’t like how it indirectly damaged her physical appearance.

 

Taeyeon ensured her hair was half-dried before standing up to hand the towel back to its original place. She switched off the light and the small lamp on the nightstand. It felt like heaven when her head touched the pillow. She immediately pulled up the blanket and closed her eyes. The soberness started to dissipate when suddenly she felt the bed dipped.

 

“What are you doing here?” Taeyeon didn’t bother to open up her eyes for she knew who the person might be.

 

“Are you going to sleep now?” The latter asked with her particular husky voice.

 

“I am tired, Fany-ah. I just need asleep.” Taeyeon answered. She turned her body so her back would face Tiffany instead.

 

“Have you got your dinner before going home?” Tiffany asked, knowing that Taeyeon wouldn’t fall asleep easily.

 

“I am not hungry”

 

*Growl*

 

“And I thought someone just said she’s not hungry.” Tiffany chuckled.

 

“Come, Tae. Let’s have a slice of pizza before going to sleep. You are an idol. You must not fall sick.” Tiffany got down and walked to the side of Taeyeon. She pulled down the blanket and took Taeyeon’s wrist, pulling it slightly.

 

“I don’t want to move. Let it be. It’s not like I would fall sick easily. I am a strong woman Fany-ah. Besides, my manager always assures my healthiness by giving me an adequate amount of vitamins daily.” Taeyeon mumbled.

 

“Fine. If you don’t want to move, I’ll just bring the pizzas here.” Taeyeon heard receding footsteps. In less than a minute, the light was .

 

“Why can’t you just let me have my peaceful sleep?” Taeyeon groaned. She in reflex tried seeking a pillow to cover her face but sadly, Tiffany was faster and prevented it from happening.

 

“Because you are obviously hungry. Eat first then I will let you have your sleep.” Taeyeon hadn’t opened her eyes yet she knew that Tiffany was smiling right now.

 

“You don’t need me to feed you too, do you Taetae? You didn’t want to move, I brought your food here.” Tiffany climbed the vacant side of the bed and sat beside Taeyeon.

 

“Fine fine. I can never win against you, can I?” Taeyeon unwillingly sat up and turned her head to the smiling Tiffany.

 

“You already know the answer to that.” Tiffany winked.

 

“So, how was your broadcast earlier? Any guest came up?” Tiffany took one slice and gave it to Taeyeon.

 

“Same same. Nothing much different from my usual broadcast. Taemin came as a guest. He just released an album and would have his comeback tomorrow so he indirectly promoted and told hints about her upcoming song and album.” Taeyeon explained while munching.

 

“Ah. Is he handsome in person? I only know he is good at dancing and his voice is okay.” Tiffany commented.

 

“Nothing special.” Taeyeon raised one of her eyebrows to show her flat expression before resuming to eat her remaining pizza.

 

“I am sorry you have to see that.” Tiffany said.

 

“See what?”

 

“You know.. Oppa kissing me.” Tiffany was blushing.

 

“I don’t see why you have to say sorry. It’s not like it’s the first time I saw it. I have caught you almost being undressed by your previous boyfriend before. It’s much worse than merely kissing.” Taeyeon smirked.

 

“YAH!! I’ve told you many times to erase those memories from your brain!!” Tiffany’s face got redder. She shoved Taeyeon’s shoulder, yet Taeyeon couldn’t stop laughing.

 

“How could I? It’s stored automatically inside my brain. Besides, it’s memorable!” Taeyeon exclaimed, still laughing loudly.

 

“Taeyeon!” Tiffany tried to have her stern face and scolded Taeyeon.

 

“Fine fine. Sorry.” Taeyeon giggled quietly.

 

“So, how are you and your current boyfriend?” Taeyeon finally settled down. She asked casually.

 

“It is alright.”

 

“Is that all?”

 

“Hmm? What do you want me to say then? That he’s a jerk like my ex and that we would break up soon in the future?” Tiffany was being cynical, grimacing when she remembered her previous love story where she caught his ex half- in a bed with a totally woman.

 

“Of course not! What I meant is, he’s not getting younger Fany-ah. He will be 33 this year, right?” Tiffany nodded.

 

“And?”

 

“And what?”

 

“You know what I meant. Have you thought to walk on a further step with him?” Taeyeon seriously asked.

 

“Do you want me to have a further step with him?” Tiffany asked back.

 

“Huh? How do I know? It’s you who have a relationship with him, not me. You are weird.” Taeyeon stated. She scooted backward, resting her back on the bedpost.

 

“You’ll get flabby tummy if you do that.” Tiffany remarked.

 

“You haven’t answered the question. Do you love him?” Taeyeon reminded Tiffany and went back to the main topic.

 

“I think I do.” Tiffany followed Taeyeon and had her head on Taeyeon’s shoulder.

 

“You don’t think when you love, Fany. You think by using your brain but you love by using your heart. So which one would it be?” Taeyeon interlaced her hand with Tiffany.

 

“I don’t know.” Tiffany answered shortly.

 

“You can’t have that as an answer. It’s either yes or not. There is no in-between, Fany-ah. Don’t play safe just because you need someone to pay attention to you.” Taeyeon sighed. She felt Tiffany’s hair brushed her skin on her neck and it made her shiver.

 

“He has hinted to go further many times, Tae but I don’t know. I still feel uncertain.” Tiffany honestly informed. After all, there was no secret between her and Taeyeon or that’s what she thought.

 

“Why did you do that?”

 

“I don’t want to leave you.”

 

“Huh? How does it related to me? We are grown-ups, Fany-ah. We can’t always live under one roof. You will have a husband and I will have mine. Eventually, we have to grow apart, physically wise I mean. It is simply inevitable.” Taeyeon elaborated carefully, knowing how sensitive her best friend could be when it related to her.

 

“Why didn’t you try to find a proper man to be your boyfriend?” Tiffany asked. Her left hand sneakily wrapped Taeyeon’s waist from behind.

 

“You know I can’t. The management doesn’t allow me, not until my contract ended at least or when my popularity has decreased but definitely not this year or even three years from now.” Taeyeon replied. She felt the touch yet she ignored it. She had been best friends with Tiffany for more than half of her life on earth. Such intimacy and skinship were normal between them.

 

“Don’t you feel lonely at times?” Tiffany pried.

 

“Why would I? I have you. I don’t need a boyfriend as long as I have you; someone who will always welcome me when the world is getting heavier on my shoulder.” Taeyeon smiled at her own sentence.

 

“That way, how can I selfishly get married and leave you when I’m the best shelter you can have?” Tiffany lifted her head from Taeyeon’s shoulder and turned her head to stare at Taeyeon right in the eyes.

 

“I…” Taeyeon was speechless. She never thought that far; that her career indirectly forced Tiffany to stay and it would also mean delaying Tiffany’s marriage with her boyfriend. Taeyeon gulped, feeling guilty all of sudden.

 

“It’s okay, Taeyeon-ah. Don’t feel guilty. I do this not because I feel pity for you but because I’m also not sure about my own feelings for him. I am staying because I want to stay with you. You too are my best shelter you know.” Tiffany confessed shyly.

 

“Whenever I get tired of life, you will be the haven I need. You are the most secure place I could ever find.” Tiffany added. Taeyeon smiled at the honesty.

 

“We need each other, Taetae. We are like Yin and Yang where you’d be the dark one and I am the light one.” Tiffany jutted out her tongue, teasing Taeyeon.

 

“Yah!” Taeyeon protested. She couldn’t say much because she yawned after.

 

“You are sleepy, Tae. Let’s go to sleep now?” Tiffany went ahead and switched off the light, making the room dimmed once again.

 

“Then what are you still doing here?” Taeyeon asked even though she had known the answer.

 

“I want to sleep with you. I had nightmares these days because you went to Japan for 3 days.” Tiffany pouted.

 

“You are so childish at times you know that.” Taeyeon laughed.

 

“I don’t care. I can only be myself when I am with you.” Tiffany scooted closer and Taeyeon got the hints. Automatically she had one hand under Tiffany’s head and her other hand pulled Tiffany closer to her body.

 

“Should I feel honored then?”

 

“Undoubtedly!”

 

“Yes, Mrs. Productivity consultant.” That earned Taeyeon a hit on her arm.

 

“Goodnight Taetae.” Tiffany leaned in and kissed Taeyeon’s cheek.

 

“Goodnight Fany.” Taeyeon replied and smiled.

 

Tiffany was honest when she said she got nightmares due to the inexistence of Taeyeon in her life, even if it’s only for three days. That night, she got the best dream ever that she woke up much earlier than usual. Well, being scolded by her supervisor was not a problem compared to what she just had the night before; sleeping inside Taeyeon’s arms.

---

 

“Good evening everyone and welcome back to Yin Yang radio with me, Kim Taeyeon as your tonight DJ. Well, it’s not unusual since I always accompany you every Tuesday and Friday night. I also don’t know why I still need to introduce myself when you all know it’s always Kim Taeyeon who genuinely accompanies you through the night.” Taeyeon snickered happily.

 

“Anyway, like a mind reader, I know how boring it’d be if I’m alone tonight so I have brought a dear someone, my best friend and also a well-known artist in the movies industry. The one and the only person who’s shorter than me by an inch. Lee Soonkyu!!” Taeyeon pressed the yellow button and the sound of clapping hands could be heard.

 

“Yah! Why didn’t you introduce me like how you did with Taemin last Tuesday?!” Another voice was heard and surely it was none but Sunny.

 

“And should you really say my real name?! I have a stage name you know~” She added. Taeyeon laughed louder.

 

“Ah. Good evening dear loyal listeners! Don’t listen to that silly Kim Taeyeon. My name is Lee Sunny and I am here as a guest for the night.” Sunny turned to her polite and professional mode before introducing herself.

 

“It’s been a while since I have a good laugh. Thank you for being here, Sunny-ah. Good luck with your drama! And I hope you can come back here next time.” Taeyeon said to the microphone.

 

“YAH! Do you really want to get killed?! And we come from the same management. I can’t believe this! President Soo Man! Please do something about your solo singer! It’s okay to terminate her contract sooner in my opinion. This person is nothing but a jerk. I just came here and she already said goodbye!”

 

“Oh my God! I cannot stop laughing and I already got a warning from my manager. Well then, this is a new song from Taemin. We will come back after. Stay tuned okay!” Taeyeon took off the headphone and grinned at Sunny.

 

“I missed you, Sunny-ah!” Taeyeon got up a bit and hugged her best friend, aside from Tiffany of course.

 

“And this is how you express your longing feelings? What a way to show it, Taeyeon!” Sunny rolled her eyes.

 

“I am sorry. It’s just. Wow! It’s already been a year, right? Since you got cast in Taiwan for 50 episodes drama there.” Taeyeon said.

 

“You can ask about my drama live, Tae. I don’t want to answer that. After all, I am here to announce to my fans that I’m still alive and would have a comeback soon.” Sunny shooed Taeyeon by waving her hand.

 

“Alright then. You haven’t changed much even after a year.” Taeyeon laughed. When the song was about to stop, she put back her headphone and continued the broadcasting.

 

The studio filled with waves of laughter and bantering. Even listeners could recognize how they were close to each other in real life. Taeyeon was playful and Sunny was just being Sunny; yelling when Taeyeon too much and hitting when Taeyeon insulted her by calling her archaic name. An hour almost passed so Taeyeon took the scenario and proceeded to the next session.

 

“Well then. It’s so much fun talking to you, Sunny. If only you’re not that busy, I would have suggested to my boss to just recruit you to be my companion DJ.” Taeyeon brought her lips closer to the microphone.

 

“I would love to do that. It seems like the listeners love me being here with you. Look at the rating! I should ask for double payment right after this.” Sunny laughed, followed by Taeyeon.

 

“As much as I want to continue this, I have to go to the next segment. Yep yep, it’s sharing time everyone! Tonight’s giveaway would be one set of body lotion, body shower, body scrub, and perfume from body shop; two buckets of sweet and sour chicken; and voucher to spend two nights in Aston Hotel with your loved one.” Taeyeon announced.

 

“Whoaaa. If it were me, I’d pick up the body shop set.” Sunny added.

 

“Why didn’t you choose to hotel voucher?”

 

“Did you forget that I am an artist? I often spend my nights in a grand hotel, Taeyeon-ah.” Sunny bragged playfully.

 

“Oh, my bad. I totally forgot that you are a call girl.”

 

“YAAHH!!!”

 

“Enough enough. I would really be scolded after this if we keep on talking nonsense.” Taeyeon stifled her laugh with her hand.

 

“It’s your fault!”

 

“Pardon me, listeners. It’s been some time since I have fun like this. Right. Since Valentine’s day is coming, it’d only be appropriate to talk about love life, don’t you agree with me Sunny?”

 

“Yep! Love life is both beautiful and painful.” Sunny approved.

 

“Therefore, tell us what‘s the most memorable event that occurred on Valentine’s day. The best opinions shall be granted those tempting gifts!” Taeyeon clapped her hands.

 

“Wait. The first message has come in. It’s from 5359, saying ‘Valentine’s day a year ago was the day I caught my 7 years boyfriend cheating on me. I purposely wanted to give him surprise by saying I was busy and unable to spend the night with him. I lied and secretly went to his apartment. I unlocked his door using the spare key just to find a half- woman in his bed. 5 minutes after, he went out from the shower. So, obviously, Valentine’s day would be a memorable and shattering day for me.’ Sunny read the message.

 

“Aww. That must be hurt like hell.” Sunny summed up.

 

“I don’t know how it’d feel to be honest but my best friend once told me that she too had caught her boyfriend cheating on her. Almost with the same scenario where his affair was in his bed and totally .” Taeyeon said.

 

“Hmm.. If you see it from a different point of view, it’s better to find out how he actually wasn’t loyal to you before you took things further with him. It’s better to break up than to divorce, right? Let’s just think that God loves you so much that He notified you how he is a jerk and that you better ended it up with him.” Sunny commented.

 

“I agree with Sunny. So, cheer up! I am sure you’ll find a much better lover in the next Valentine’s day.” Taeyeon concluded.

 

“3762 said ‘Valentine’s day 3 years ago is the day he proposed me and I said yes. Valentine’s day 2 years ago is the day we officially become married couples and Valentine’s day a year ago is the day I have my first child born. Valentine’s day is meaningful to me. Every happiest day of my life is on Valentine’s day.’ Taeyeon read.

 

“That’s so beautiful. You are so lucky to have every important event in your life on Valentine’s day. I really envy you.” Taeyeon faked a sigh.

 

“And how about you, Sunny? Do you have any memorable event that occurred on Valentine’s day before?” Taeyeon turned to Sunny.

 

“Hmm.. Valentine’s day 5 years ago is the first time I got an award as the best newcomer artist. Valentine’s day 3 years ago,I got cast to play in an ongoing drama entitled Love is Blind and it went out successfully that I got an award for the second time. Valentine’s day 2 years ago, I decided to buy a cute puddle whom I named Valentino, and Valentine’s day last year was spent in Taiwan with my drama crews.” Sunny told the listeners and Taeyeon.

 

“Okay. To summarize it, I think your fate is much better than Sunny’s, 3762. It’s either Sunny here is too in love with herself that she can’t ever love someone more than herself or simply because no one loves her that much to spend Valentine’s day with her.” Taeyeon chuckled.

 

“You and your foul mood! It’s not that I am not beautiful enough. Sighed. I am just too busy to have a normal love life. And you’re saying this to me as if you ever had a normal love life before.” Sunny retorted back.

 

‘”Errr.. Right. The next message is from 9291, ‘Sunny-shii. I am your big fan! I watch your Taiwan drama, all of the episodes even though I don’t understand what you’re all saying. The Korean translated version hasn’t come out but it doesn’t mean I wouldn’t watch it as soon as it’s available. Valentine’s day 4 years ago is the day I officially became your fan! And I still am even until now. Keep acting, you are the best actress out there for me! Even better than Nicole Kidman!!’ Taeyeon read.

 

“That’s so sweet. Can we give the two buckets of chicken for her, Taeyeon-ah?” Sunny said.

 

“Flattery gets you everywhere, doesn’t it? But since you’re the guest here then fine. 9291, you just got yourself two buckets of chicken! Share it with the ones you love, okay?” Taeyeon giggled.

 

“And how come you compare Nicole Kidman with the danshin here? Sunny’s height is the only half of Nicole Kidman’s.” Taeyeon snorted.

 

“Shut up, Kim! You’re just being jealous because no one has complimented you so far.” Sunny clicked her tongue.

 

“Next one here. It’s from 9381,’Valentine’s day 4 years ago is the day I for the first time asked about my preference. I am sure I was straight before but after befriending her for years, I started to doubt myself. We used to have skinship all the time but lately, it felt different. At least for me. her touches made me wanting her for more, yet at the same time, there are times I found myself attracted to a guy. Valentine’s day 2 years ago is the first time I lied to her. I couldn’t possibly say I broke up with my ex because I couldn’t stop comparing her to him and concluded she’s way better than him, could I? Have you ever once doubted about your preference, DJ-nim? What would you do if you found yourself caught up in a problem like mine?’

 

“It’s deep and hard to answer.” Sunny smiled a little at Taeyeon.

 

“Indeed.”

 

“Is it just myself or the aura is getting darker here?” Sunny let out an awkward laugh.

 

“So, care to answer it, Taeyeon-ah?” Sunny nudged Taeyeon’s wrist, reminding her that they were still broadcasting.

 

“It’s a hard situation you have there. I shall answer your question first. Have I ever thought about my own preference? Hmm.. I don’t think so. Sadly, I was and am still too busy to even consider whether I prefer older guys or guys who are my age. I haven’t even reached the question of whether girls are better than guys.” Taeyeon laughed nervously.

 

“What would I do if I were you? Well, I always tell my best friend not to play safe all the time. It’s either a yes or a no. There is no in-between. If I were you, I would take time for myself to think seriously whether what I have for my best friend is real. If I turn out to have special feelings for her, I’d create a plan to confess to her.” Taeyeon answered.

 

“I think that has answered your question, right?” Taeyeon added.

 

“Wait. She replied. ‘Even if it means there is a chance to destroy what you have with her so far?’ Sunny read it out loud.

 

“You need to be sure first about her feelings before you confess. If it seems like she has the same feelings, then just go all the way out. If not, try to confess but at the same time not to cast her away from your life.” Taeyeon replied through the radio.

 

“That’s very serious of you. Can I give the voucher hotel for her? You just told her to take time and think, right? I assume it’d be best for her to leisurely spend two nights in the hotel thinking.” Sunny reasoned out.

 

“I couldn’t help but agree with you. 9381-nim. You just got yourself a voucher hotel. Take your time to think while still have a chance to enjoy your life there, okay? The pool and gymnasium there are epic! You have to try it. Congratulations by the way!” Taeyeon exclaimed.

 

The night went on and soon it was time for them to bid goodbye. Sunny hugged Taeyeon before parting ways with her. Taeyeon didn’t forget to change numbers with Sunny. The shorter woman just changed her number due to unbearable fans a month ago. They promised to keep in touch no matter how busy they would be in the future.

 

“It was fun, Taeng. We should do this more often.” Sunny said, releasing the hug.

 

“Indeed. I’ll call you one of these days. We should meet up outside of works and share stories. You have a lot to tell me, Sunny-ah. I heard about the rumor of you and him, you know~” Taeyeon wagged her eyebrows.

 

“Yah! Not tonight definitely. I’ll tell you when I have days off. Say hi to Tiffany, okay?” Taeyeon nodded.

 

“As much as I want to continue chatting with you, Fany is already outside. I’m heading off first, alright?”

 

“Sure, Taeng. Be careful on your way home.” Sunny smiled. Taeyeon again nodded her head and went outside the building just to find the red sedan parked not far from the entrance door.

­­---

 

“Did you wait long?” Taeyeon closed the door beside her.

 

“Not really. How is Sunny?” Tiffany started the engine and pushed the gear forward.

 

“She is okay. She looks fresher though. I think she is happy in Taiwan. Maybe due to a certain someone.” Taeyeon grinned.

 

“Gossip Girl. Why do you like gossip so much, Taeyeon-ah?” Taeyeon snickered and fastened her seatbelt.

 

“Thank you for picking me up. I hope my car would be ready by after tomorrow and since I don’t have a radio show, I wouldn’t need to trouble you too much.”

 

“You’re never a nuisance for me, Taetae. Stop saying like you’re a burden. Besides, I don’t have anything to do at home anyway.”

 

“You didn’t go with Oppa tonight?” Taeyeon asked carefully. She got the feeling that Tiffany’s mood wasn’t good the moment she entered the car. She didn’t look excited seeing her, unlike the usual Tiffany she always met every day.

 

“We fought.” Tiffany shortly replied.

 

“What happened?” Taeyeon reached out and held Tiffany’s free hand, rubbing the knuckle ever so tenderly, making Tiffany relaxed with her touch.

 

“I prefer no talk about it now.” Tiffany gulped.

 

Tiffany couldn’t possibly tell Taeyeon that they fought because he insisted to go out on a date with him could he? She had told him so many times that she was unavailable on Tuesday and Thursday because it would be the days where Taeyeon would broadcast and she couldn’t possibly miss it. He took it nicely the first 3 months they were dating but lately, he couldn’t accept it. He always reasoned out that he would be her future while Taeyeon would only end up as best friend for life.

 

“Alright then. Have you had dinner?” Taeyeon changed the topic, knowing how stubborn Tiffany could be. Once she said no, it’d be forever no.

 

“I am not hungry.”

 

“I know 24 hours bistro nearby. Just turn right after this intersection.” Taeyeon said. Tiffany said nothing but drove according to the direction given by Taeyeon.

---

 

“How’s the progress with your potential client so far?” Taeyeon started the conversation. They had ordered the foods and drinks and currently waiting for them to be served.

 

“It’s good. We would have them sign the contract within this week.” Tiffany answered.

 

“Did you listen to the broadcast?” Tiffany looked up and nodded her head.

 

“Unexpectedly, everyone had their own memories of Valentine’s day. Some of them were happy during their past Valentine’s days while the others weren’t that fortunate.” Taeyeon said.

 

“What is the most memorable event during Valentine’s day for you, Fany-ah?” Taeyeon gazed at Tiffany softly and smiled.

 

“Why are you asking me this? I have spent every Valentine’s day with you since 7 years ago, Taetae.” Tiffany frowned.

 

“Since we become roommate and now housemate, right?” Taeyeon’s smile didn’t falter. Tiffany nodded her head twice as approval.

 

“It’s our day. For others, Valentine’s day might be the day where they would spend their night with their loved ones; lovers but weirdly, it’d just the two of us during Valentine’s day. It’s weird, isn’t it? Knowing we’re only best friends and you always had boyfriends on Valentine’s day.” Taeyeon remarked.

 

“Because for me, you are the most important person. Even much more important than my exes.” Tiffany finally gave a smile. Taeyeon smiled along, knowing that her best friend's mood had gotten better.

 

“But you still haven’t answered the question, Fany-ah.” Taeyeon pulled her seat closer to the table, propping her chin with her palm.

 

“Every Valentine’s day is memorable, Taetae because I get to spend it with the most important person in my life, the very person who is always there for me during my ups and downs. The person who offers me a hand when I am helpless, the person who helps me to get back on my feet when I fall down, the person who walks with me when the road gets rougher. The person is you, Taeyeon.” Tiffany reached out and placed her hand on top of Taeyeon’s free hand which was lying on the table.

 

“Oh My God! My fingers are curled! That’s way too cheesy, Fany-ah! I can’t believe that words just came out of your mouth!” Taeyeon laughed.

 

“What a way to show your appreciation, Kim Taeyeon!” Tiffany quickly pulled her hand away.

 

“I am sorry. I didn’t mean to be unappreciative with your confession. It’s just.. It’s the first time I heard such words from you.” Taeyeon grabbed Tiffany’s hand back and held it properly.

 

“You too are important for me, Fany-ah. If you listened to the broadcast, you’d hear that I told the listeners that I spent 7 years of Valentine’s day with my best friend and that my best friend is you. I don’t need a boyfriend and I never get to feel lonely because I have you. You mean so much to me.” Taeyeon earnestly said, hoping Tiffany would know that she’s serious.

 

“Err.. I am sorry. Your orders, Mam.” The waiter’s voice startled them and as a reflex, Taeyeon retracted back her hand and put it on her lap.

 

“Thank you.” Tiffany said to the waiter. The man smiled awkwardly and left.

 

“That was awkward.” Tiffany nodded at the statement.

 

“Let’s just hope he didn’t manage to take pictures on that or I’d be dead by tomorrow.” Taeyeon expressed. Tiffany chuckled. They ate their foods and only casual topics brought off. An hour later, Taeyeon was at the cashier, paying for the bill while Tiffany would get the car.

 

“Ah. I forgot to ask earlier. Who gets the gifts tonight and why?” Tiffany asked while focusing her sight on the road. It was the question she never failed to ask every time Taeyeon had finished broadcasting.

 

“Sunny chose lucky persons. I only let her do what she wanted. She’s the honorable guest after all.” Taeyeon shrugged.

 

“But..”

 

“But??” Tiffany pried curiously.

 

“But there is one message that keeps ringing inside my mind.”

 

“What did she or he say?” Tiffany asked again.

 

“She said Valentine’s day meant a lot for her. It is the day where she for the first time had doubts about her preference.” Taeyeon retold the story as much as she could remember to the person who sat in front of her.

 

“What’s so memorable about that?” Tiffany sipped her drink quietly, never once had her eyes off from Taeyeon.

 

“I don’t know. It’s just that her confession is deep and she did that too through the radio broadcast. The problem must have gotten to her.” Taeyeon said her opinion.

 

“What about you, Fany-ah?”

 

“Hmm? What about me?” Tiffany stopped eating and looked up.

 

“Have you ever once doubted about your own preference?” Taeyeon’s question made Tiffany have difficulty swallowing the remaining food inside that she ended up coughing.

 

“Omo! Here, drink it first.” Taeyeon reacted quickly and offered her own drink for Tiffany. The latter gulped it nervously and put the half-empty glass back on the table.

 

“I am so sorry. I shouldn’t have asked you that kind of question. After all, your exes are all guys. There is no way you swing both ways, right?” Taeyeon chuckled and offered a sincere smile to Tiffany, the very same smile that never failed to soothe her down no matter how big her problems seemed.

 

“Y-yeah.” Tiffany stammered.

 

“You better finish your food now. I have finished mine.” Taeyeon pointed at Tiffany’s plate using her fork.

 

“I too never once asked about my own preference. Not until I read her message.” Taeyeon muttered. Her head was tilted sideways so Tiffany couldn’t really see the expression when her best friend was saying that.

 

“What do you mean?” Tiffany asked.

 

“My preference. The last time I had a relationship was 4 close to 5 years ago. Since then, I barely had time for myself. Slowly but sure I was taken away from the people I care about. My friends, my families, even my own self. But God still loves me for He had given me you; you never leave me, Fany-ah. Not even once.” Taeyeon paused, inhaling before she continued.

 

“Although there will be one day I have to face the moment you leave me and the apartment we’re currently living in.” Taeyeon’s smile was wavering.

 

“I will never leave you, Taetae. I promise.” Tiffany firmly declared. She put down her eating utensils and directed both of her hands to Taeyeon’s, intertwining their fingers together.

 

“Even if you do, I’d understand it, Fany-ah. Why are we being serious all of sudden? Yah! Finish your meal already!” Taeyeon tried to make a joke. She retrieved back her hands and chose to watch Tiffany eating instead. Small smiles were exchanged but nothing more than that.

---

 

“Welcome home, Fany-ah!” Taeyeon reduced the volume of the TV and stood up, intending to greet her best friend.

 

“Wait. Are you crying? What happened??!” Taeyeon engulfed Tiffany in her embrace.

 

“Tae.. Taetae…” Tiffany clenched her fists on Taeyeon’s pajama shirt, pulling the shorter girl closer in order to be able to hug her tighter.

 

They were staying in that position. Taeyeon didn’t say anything. She only rubbed Tiffany’s back, calming her down while letting the younger woman wet her pajama shirt since she hadn’t stopped crying even after minutes passed. Taeyeon felt Tiffany’s breath on the skin of her neck. Tiffany buried her head inside Taeyeon’s crook. After some time, Tiffany pulled away.

 

“Thank you.” Tiffany mumbled softly.

 

“Go and wash up. I will heat the food. You haven’t had dinner, right?” Taeyeon patted Tiffany’s head lovingly. Taeyeon didn’t need a reply. She knew

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter