Heartless - Part 2

Traits
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

PS: Try to listen do Davichi (things that still come up in my memory/nagging), Taeyeon (whichever sad songs she sings), or other Korean's sad song to help you get the emotion more appropriately

-------

That’s not the first time or second time Taeyeon met Sunmi, and definitely, it’s not the last time either. After that dinner which was unplanned before, Taeyeon couldn’t stop thinking about Sunmi. Yes, you’re correct. Whom Taeyeon thought of was Sunmi, the daughter of Min Kyung. She didn’t have any further thought regarding Min Kyung. She knew her limitation and she too acknowledged her love for Tiffany was endless. There’s no way she would let another woman who’s not her own wife to linger inside her mind for more than 10 seconds.

 

A week passed since the night where she last time met Sunmi and played with her for an hour in the playground inside the mall. Yes, it was Taeyeon who initiated to drive Min Kyung to the caretaker and asked for some time to engage closer with the little girl. Min Kyung obviously couldn’t say no. Besides at that time, the sky was cloudy that she was sure she would be caught in the heavy rain if she didn’t say yes to the request.

 

A week was the longest time Taeyeon didn’t meet Sunmi. The little girl was excited all the time. Her smile was contagious that Taeyeon always felt the responsibility to smile along whenever she looked at her smiling widely. Her giggle was memorable and echoed inside her mind even when she had separated from the little girl hours ago. Her cry was powerful that it got her devastated and had to tinker her brain and found a way out to stop her crying. She knew it was so wrong to be clingy and dependant on someone’s child, moreover when she’s not your own daughter. Nonetheless, she could do nothing to stop it from affecting her further.

 

“Excuse me.” A knock on her office door slapped her back to reality.

 

“Yes, Min Kyung?” Taeyeon looked up and found her secretary in the doorway.

 

“May I excuse myself to go home faster today? Sunmi has a fever since last night. I left her with my parents but still, I keep thinking of her and unable to focus this whole day.” Min Kyung composed herself and entered the office room of her boss.

 

“She is sick?! Have you brought her to the doctor? Why didn’t you just take a day off then?!” Taeyeon rose from her seat and unconsciously snapped at her secretary.

 

“I..I am sorry.” Min Kyung stuttered and that’s when Taeyeon realized what she did wrong.

 

“O-oh. I should be the one to say sorry. I was angry when it’s your daughter we’re talking about.” Taeyeon said embarrassedly.

 

“So, have you have her checked to the doctor?” Taeyeon asked in a calmer tone.

 

“Not yet. I thought it’d be a common fever but this afternoon my Mom called me and said her temperature hasn’t yet decreased. I grew worried so I shamelessly asked to come home faster. That if you don’t mind of course.” Min Kyung fidgeted with her fingers. Taeyeon had to smile at that sight. Different from her daughter, Min Kyung was a shy woman.

 

“Of course. Let’s go then.” Taeyeon acquired her blazer from her seat and put it on.

 

“Huh? Go where?” Min Kyung asked, being confused with her boss’ attitude.

 

“I will drive you to your parents’ home and we will go visit the doctor together.” Taeyeon smiled.

 

“But you don’t need to do that, Mam. I mean.. I don’t want to trouble you.” Min Kyung quickly responded, still not sure what Taeyeon wanted to do.

 

“It won’t trouble me at all. Besides, my work for today has been completed. All I need is just MoM from you and since you too would come home soon, I have no reason to stay longer.” Taeyeon reassured. She walked past Min Kyung and stopped in front of the door.

 

“Come on. What are you waiting for?” Taeyeon tilted her head.

 

“O-oh yes.” Min Kyung nodded her head and clumsily walked to the door. She accidentally stepped on her own foot that she slipped and stumbled forward.

 

“Aaahh!!” The taller woman screamed in reflex. She had her eyes closed and ready to face the cold scary wooden floor until she felt a tight grip on her waist.

 

“Be careful there.” The next thing she saw was a tender expression on Taeyeon’s face. Her face was so close to her that she was sure her inability to breath was caused by Taeyeon’s nose which was too close to hers. She gulped hard.

 

“Hey. Are you alright?” Taeyeon helped the woman further to stand up properly and waved her palm in front of Min Kyung.

 

“A-lright? A-ah I mean I am okay. Thank you for helping me there.” Min Kyung had her face flushed. She bowed to the woman, hiding the reddened face of hers.

 

“It’s fine. Let’s go and please be more careful this time.” Taeyeon chuckled and went out off of her office room, followed by Min Kyung.

 

‘What was that? Why my heartbeat loudly when I was reminded how she has her face close to mine? Oh Lord! I must not feel this! I am straight and most importantly, she has married!’ Min Kyung shook her head, trying to inject her mind with the undeniable truth.

---

 

“Hey, Fany-ah.” Taeyeon let her wife remove the coat from her body and hang it on the gallow.

 

“Why did you come home late?” Tiffany asked and helped Taeyeon bringing her purse to the living room.

 

“I am sorry. I drove Min Kyung to the hospital.” Taeyeon informed honestly.

 

“Oh, is your secretary sick?” Tiffany asked. She tied up her hair sat beside Taeyeon. It was usual for her to wait Taeyeon to come home from office and obediently sat beside her, listening to her story about what’s happening in the office that day while massaging Taeyeon’s feet gently. Yes, that’s how much she loved Taeyeon, and yes again, that’s how obedient she was to her husband.

 

“She is not. The one who is sick is Sunmi. She has a fever since last night. Min Kyung asked for my permission to come home faster because she’s worried. Instead, I offered myself to accompany her to the hospital and bring her daughter to have a thorough check.” Taeyeon told Tiffany carefully. Tiffany was one with a jealousy issue. She was possessive when it came to something or someone that she loved, including Taeyeon.

 

“Can’t she go alone? Or more like, must you offer yourself like that? Sunmi is not your daughter, Taeyeon!” Taeyeon sighed mentally, already expected her wife would burst.

 

“I know, Fany-ah but she is my employee. You know I too often accompanied Seohyun to doctor and you were okay with that. Why are you angry now?” Taeyeon asked calmly, trying not to lose patience too fast.

 

“Should I really tell you why?! Seohyun is married, Tae! But Min Kyung is a widow! With one daughter I may add. Besides, she has only worked for you less than a month ago. What if she actually has a bad motive toward you?” Tiffany barked. She harshly ditched Taeyeon’s leg from her lap.

 

“What are you insinuating, Tiffany?! There’s no way I would cheat on you!” Taeyeon sat up, facing Tiffany.

 

“I didn’t say that! I said, what if she’s the one who tried to attract your attention and seduces you?! Moreover, now that she has known your addiction to children.” Tiffany huffed, eyebrows made a steep angle.

 

“She wouldn’t do that okay! She’s a good and principled woman. Seohyun is the one who chose her and I believe in Seohyun.” Taeyeon defended, still with her normal tone.

 

“She is not even Seohyun’s friend from the first place, Kim Taeyeon! And are you defending her now? When you barely know her?! You are married. I am your wife. Can’t you just behave yourself and act like any normal boss toward her? I don’t like you being too close to her.” Tiffany shook her head in disapproval, totally dislike the idea of her and Min Kyung that had grown too close.

 

“My God Tiffany! I wouldn’t tell you any of this if I indeed had affair with her! The only woman I love is you! I am only concerned about her daughter. She’s still too young to be left by her parents. Her mother has to work more than 8 hours a day and she has no longer have father to look up to. Don’t you have any compassion toward that little girl?” Taeyeon took a deep breath. She knew Tiffany was right in a way or two but then again if only Tiffany was capable to look right through her heart and mind; she would know that both Taeyeon and Min Kyung didn’t have such intention. All she cared about was Sunmi. Her mother didn’t matter much for her.

 

“There is no guarantee that one day you also have concern for her mother, Taeyeon-ah. I wouldn’t even know if you cheated on me or not since I am home while you’re at work. Moreover, knowing you spend more time with her than with me. I can only see you for a few hours at night and an hour in the morning. But she is able to see you 9 hours a day.” Tiffany’s statement made Taeyeon’s patience grew dried. She was never one to be stoic anyway.

 

“Are you just indirectly stating that there’s a possibility I would return to the old me? The person who sleeps around and keeps on changing partner as days go by?” Taeyeon furiously shook her head, feeling her anger was rising up.

 

“Yes.” Tiffany stated a quiet yes yet it was enough to make the latter frown and stand up from her seat abruptly.

 

“I couldn’t believe this! We have been married for over two years and add another year of being girlfriends. I never once cheated on you, Tiffany. Never once.” Taeyeon emphasized. She clenched her fist and regulated her breathing pace.

 

“But I don’t have any assurance it wouldn’t occur this time, Tae! Being girlfriends, I was with you almost all the time. Even when we were separated physically, you often called me or texted me. Now you’re always busy that you would only call me during lunch break. I am home all the time, doing nothing but waiting for you to come home while trying to think positively about you.” Tiffany pursed her lips, unable to contain her tears further.

 

“Doesn’t mean you can accuse me of cheating or even thinking I would cheat on you. It’s unforgivable.” Taeyeon tried her best not to wave the white flag and hugged Tiffany.

 

As much as she felt hurt seeing her loved one crying, she still thought Tiffany shouldn’t have thought of her lowly like that. The main intention of her going to work is only to conduct her duty and earn money to feed both of them while indirectly making her wife happy. Heck, she was even being transparent and without any hesitation submitted her salary slip to her monthly. She had her salary transferred to her wife regularly. She did everything she knew to make Tiffany happy so how could Tiffany think of her like that?

 

Meanwhile, for Tiffany, she knew she shouldn’t have said those words to Taeyeon. Nevertheless, she too couldn’t get rid away from the bad intuitions about Min Kyung; that there’s a fair possibility that one day the woman would take Taeyeon away from her. How could not she think of her like that when for the past week, all Taeyeon would share was Min Kyung and her daughter. She told Tiffany that Taeyeon brought the little girl to the playground, how she loved eating junk food and yet Taeyeon disallowed her to eat those kinds of foods too often, and how the little girl looked excited for she would enter pre-kindergarten soon.

 

Instead of being her wife, Tiffany felt like Taeyeon’s best friend lately. It was like Min Kyung was her original wife and Sunmi was her daughter. Tiffany would only be a container to accommodate Taeyeon’s happy stories concerning Min Kyung and her daughter. Probably it was Taeyeon who’s just too insensitive or it’s indeed that Taeyeon had spent too much time with Min Kyung and her daughter compared to her own wife. Notwithstanding, Tiffany had tried to be patient and listened to each and every story elaborated Min Kyung and Sunmi. Yet, tonight it turned out that Tiffany’s patience had dried out.

 

“Haven’t these years proven you something, Tiffany? Me telling you everything that happened around me, me who came home to you at the end of the day, me who have stumbled and fell at work just to ensure we have good earning and we could still have decent food and clothes. I do all that for you. Yet, instead of being appreciative and supportive, you accused me of cheating.” Taeyeon showed her disappointment. She took a deep breath and stood up.

 

“Are you really that dense?! Didn’t you realize that all you told me about for the past week is about Min Kyung and her daughter. Min Kyung has to work hard to ensure her daughter is educated well, Sunmi who looks very cute and pouts whenever she couldn’t get what she wants, Min Kyung whose house is even smaller than our living room, etc. All of that has Min Kyung in it!” Tiffany growled, letting all of her emotion spread out. Her tears streamed faster like a Niagara fall.

 

“How about you who conducted a meeting outside of work? Or how business condition affected your company or maybe about your huge problems regarding Unbilled Services?! None, Taeyeon! None! If not because you have your thought to Sunmi and Min Kyung, then what are the reasons?!” Tiffany unable to bottle up her anger further and barked right onto Taeyeon’s face.

 

“I…” Taeyeon frowned. She had lots of things to say, to explain, and yet found herself incapable to express it through words.

 

“You what, Kim Taeyeon?!” Tiffany frowned. Her face was already dampened from tears. Taeyeon didn’t even have intention to wipe her tears away as she used to when they were still not married.

 

“Say something! Deny my accusation and say to my face that you thought about work more than you thought of Sunmi or her mother! Say it!!!” Tiffany screamed. Tears came out more uncontrollably that she couldn’t breathe normally.

 

“I love you.” Taeyeon said the three words instead. The rage inside her had been extinguished by Tiffany’s statements. She had lost the power to deny the arraignment. Yes, she didn’t think of Min Kyung but she couldn’t deny that she often thought of Sunmi and how she wished she was her daughter. And yes again, she thought of the little girl too often that sometimes she forgot about her work.

 

“Do you remember the last time you said those words to me?” Instead of calming Tiffany down, the three sacred words made Tiffany cried harder.

 

“I.. I am sorry.” Taeyeon hated herself more than anything right now. She wasn’t sure the last time she confessed the necessary words to Tiffany. She loved Tiffany very very much. Further, Tiffany could even be considered as her first and real love. Tiffany should have known that even if it had been some time since the last time she expressed it, right?

 

“You have changed, Taeyeon-ah. I no longer recognize the woman whom I married.” Tiffany sobbed quietly. She turned her body around, walking to the bedroom, and left Taeyeon alone. Weirdly, it’s like Taeyeon had her energy drained that she couldn’t even chase Tiffany. Instead, she could only watch Tiffany walking further away until her back was no longer there to be seen.

 

Tiffany couldn’t even slam the door behind her to emphasize how mad she was at Taeyeon. She had lost her will to do anything but crying out her night away. She made a halt two steps behind the door, expecting Taeyeon would soon open the door and hugged her tightly before calming her down and ensuring that she loved her very much and that she wouldn’t longer care about Min Kyung or Sunmi. Yet, crying harder was inevitable when she looked behind and found no one had entered the bedroom.

 

A sigh escaped from her lips. She lifelessly walked to the bed and sat on the edge of it. She looked sideways and found the small picture proudly located on the nightside. She retrieved the photo frame and smiled sadly. It was her wedding picture with Taeyeon taken from a little over two years ago. Both of them had their wide smile when the photographer counted to three and clicked sound soon heard. She could see how Taeyeon loved her so much at that time. But how about now?

 

Tiffany put the picture frame back to its place. She brought her legs close to her chest and buried her head inside it. The complacency was drawn neatly on her face the moment Taeyeon said ‘I do’ in front of the priest. She was never one who could fall in love easily and gave away her heart to someone but somehow Taeyeon knew the paths that led her right to where her heart was. The way Taeyeon treated her, how Taeyeon stared at her, and the words Taeyeon elaborated had her barrier falling apart that she became helplessly falling in love with Taeyeon.

 

She had no doubt that Taeyeon was serious when stating those words to her. She still could feel Taeyeon’s love for her. She closed her eyes, picturing how Taeyeon was tender when she was touching her, how Taeyeon carefully treated her like a fragile glass and always put her as her priority, and how Taeyeon’s cheeks became red whenever she said ‘I love you’ to her.

 

Tiffany missed Taeyeon, the old Taeyeon who was clueless in being romantic, who was clumsy whenever she was nervous, and who always got shy in expressing her feelings. Now, she couldn’t see that Taeyeon any longer. Nothing was eternal, the only thing which could be considered eternal was the changes themselves. Yes, Tiffany acknowledged that but the thing was, Taeyeon didn’t change for the better. It’s like slowly but sure, Taeyeon was slipping away from her grasp. That night, Tiffany fell asleep while crying her heart out. Taeyeon was still nowhere to calm her down; she didn’t feel the familiar embrace from her loved one.

---

 

Morning came and Tiffany expected she could find Taeyeon beside her, hugging her while having that priceless sleeping expression. Yet, her wish would forever be a dream for she woke up alone. She sighed and felt hurt, maybe because she cried too much last night. She put that thought aside and climbed down from her bed, seeking for Taeyeon. She was still angry at Taeyeon and yet, she couldn’t deny that she missed the woman at the same time.

 

Opening the door slowly, she stepped forward and walked to the living room. She frowned when she couldn’t see Taeyeon sleeping on the couch. She smiled a little, forgetting that they had 2 bedrooms. One was a spared one in case they had guests coming or if they had a huge fight and needed time alone just like what occurred last night. She turned right and walked briskly to the spared room, hoping she would see Taeyeon there. Her hope vanished when she noticed the room looked tidy and inhabited, like no one had occupied it.

 

“Where is she? It’s still 6 am. Why would she go to work this early?” Tiffany asked to no one. She went back to her bedroom and her mobile phone.

 

From : Hubby

“Fany-ah, I couldn’t sleep well last night. I was wrong and I am sorry for that. I wanted to run after you but I thought you needed sometime alone. Besides, I didn’t know what proper words to say to ensure you that you’re the only person I love. I went to work early today. Don’t forget to have breakfast. I love you”

 

“She already went to work.” Tiffany sighed. She slightly hoped she was worthy enough to prevent Taeyeon from going to work today but maybe she was that busy or simply because she wasn’t that worthy.

 

“I must not think like that. Taetae is busy.” Tiffany installed the words of encouragement to herself. She then went to the kitchen and returned to her daily activities. At least, Taeyeon had said sorry to her. Right?

---

 

“I am so sorry for calling at such an improper hour.” Min Kyung apologized for the umpteenth time.

 

“It’s alright.” Taeyeon smiled and nodded her head twice.

 

It was 4 am when Min Kyung suddenly called her, asking her whether it’s possible for her to drive her to the hospital. She informed that Sunmi’s body temperature had increased to 40 degrees. She sounded like crying on the phone. Without a second delay, she quickly drove to Min Kyung’s small apartment and fetched the woman along with the sick little girl.

 

Taeyeon was more looked like Sunmi’s parent since she was the one who ran here and there, ensuring the doctor would provide emergency treatment to the poor girl. She was trembling and her sweats covered her body. Her lips looked pale and her teeth couldn’t stop gritting. Taeyeon was sad seeing the condition. She asked Min Kyung to just stay still and wait. She was the one who carried the little girl and brought her to the emergency room. Right now, they were waiting outside the treatment room.

 

“Thank you too for being so responsive while I couldn’t do anything. It’s the first time Sunmi being like this. She is never one who fell sick easily.” Min Kyung brought her hands closer to her body. She totally forgot to bring her jacket since she was too worried about her daughter.

 

“It’s okay. You were too panicked that you didn’t know the first things to do.” Taeyeon reassured.

 

“Are you cold?” Taeyeon tilted her head.

 

“Ah I..” Min Kyung gasped when she felt a coat draped around her shoulder.

 

“Use mine. I still have a sweater underneath so I won’t feel cold.” Taeyeon said.

 

“Thank you.” Min Kyung was touched by the simple yet heartful gesture coming from Taeyeon. If only Taeyeon wasn’t married then maybe.. Wait, she’s a widow. Even if Taeyeon wasn’t married, there’s no way Taeyeon would want to be her lover. She let out a sigh unintentionally.

 

“If you’re sighing because you thought in an hour you have to go back and get ready to work then please replace that frown with a smile. Take as many days as you need to take care of Sunmi.” Taeyeon stated.

 

“But-“

 

“No buts. Your daughter is much more important than your job.” Taeyeon cut off.

 

“Thank you, Mam-“

 

“Taeyeon. Just call me Taeyeon when we are outside of work.” Taeyeon chuckled.

 

“Anyway, have you had breakfast?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“Not yet. I even skipped dinner. Sunmi cried throughout the night.”

 

“Then let’s go and find something to calm your tummy down.” Taeyeon stood up and waited for the latter.

 

“But how about your work?”

 

“I am the CEO there. I have freedom to determine when I want to work and when I don’t want to.” Taeyeon winked. Min Kyung laughed a bit.

 

“You look like your age when you are laughing. You should laugh more often.” Taeyeon’s blunt compliment made Min Kyung stopped laughing and blushed.

 

The two women then walked to the hospital’s canteen silently. Taeyeon still had her mind wandering to her wife at home while Min Kyung couldn’t divert her attention from Taeyeon. She knew it was wrong but blame her heart for being stubborn and still provide her with irregular beating whenever Taeyeon was close to her.

---

 

“I don’t know what happened to her. I did as the doctor said. I gave her porridge and fed her the medicine after. She was only sleeping for two hours when she started to cry in pain. She said she felt cold and that her head felt hurt. I was panic and the first person that crossed my mind is you. I am sorry, Ma-“ Taeyeon glared at her.

 

“Taeyeon I mean. I should have called the taxi instead.” Min Kyung rectified her sentence.

 

“I have said that it’s okay, Min Kyung-ah. I care about Sunmi too.” Taeyeon’s words made her heart fluttered.

 

“Why?”

 

“Why what?”

 

“Why do you care about Sunmi so much? It’s not that I am not thankful. I wouldn’t know what would have happened to her should you say no but, I would very understand if you said no Taeyeon. Instead, you said yes immediately and came to pick us up. So why you care about Sunmi to that extent?” Min Kyung explained her question more clearly.

 

“It’s funny because my wife asked the same thing. But I really don’t know the answer to your question. All I know is that I care so much about her and I feel this indescribably worries when you called me and told me that her temperature had escalated.” Taeyeon played with her mashed potato in front of her, feeling that her appetite had left her.

 

“I am sorry. I don’t mean to pry. I am happy that you care so much about her. No one has paid attention to her that much since the departure of her father. She looked happier lately, moreover whenever she knew that you would come and meet her.” Min Kyung smiled. She had sliced her bread and brought it over to .

 

“That’s good. She needs as much love and attention as she can get.” Taeyeon commented shortly.

 

“It’s alright to leave after this, Taeyeon. You need more sleep since I have disturbed you.” Min Kyung diverted the topic. She had seen the uncomfortable expression so she shouldn’t talk further about her daughter and what not.

 

“Nah it’s fine. You can go home to retrieve the necessities of you and your daughter while being here. I will ensure she is in good hands while waiting for you.” Taeyeon replied.

 

“Are you sure? Won’t I trouble you further? I may just call my mother and ask her to accompany Sunmi while I go home.” Min Kyung reasoned out.

 

“I am perfectly sure.” Taeyeon reassured.

 

“Oh then thank you very much. You are like an angel sent from above to ensure my daughter stays healthy and happy.” Min Kyung laughed.

 

“You can say that.” Taeyeon chuckled.

 

“Well, then I am gonna take care of the administration first before going home.”

 

“No. Let me take care of it.”

 

“But-“

 

“No buts, Min Kyung-ah. I am the guardian angel of Sunmi, remember?” Taeyeon raised one of her eyebrows, looking all serious and bossy.

 

“Yes, milady.” Min Kyung smiled widely.

 

“Good. Now shush! I will pay the bill. You better bring your back immediately.” Taeyeon waved her hands, gesturing Min Kyung to leave soon.

 

“Thank you so much, Taeyeon-ah.” Min Kyung got up and bowed.

 

“It’s my pleasure.” Taeyeon replied.

 

‘I know it’s wrong but how can I prevent myself from falling for her when she’s nothing but a perfect creature ever created by God? Besides, I do nothing wrong as long as I don’t interfere with her marriage life right?’ Min Kyung said to herself. She stoped at the doorway and turned her head around, taking the last glance of Taeyeon before finally getting out from the room.

---

 

Sunmi was said to have dengue fever and advised to still be hospitalized at least until she had her thrombocyte replenished greatly. Min Kyung knew the bills would be skyrocketed and she wasn’t that rich to pay all the bills even if her monthly salary had been transferred. Again Taeyeon came and be her savior. She was the one that paid for the hospital bills, including medicines, room bills, and hospital food during her stay.

 

It’s been 3 days and Sunmi had shown good progress. The color had returned to her face that her cheeks looked pink like usual. She hadn’t recovered completely and the doctor too hadn’t released her but Min Kyung was sure in no time, the little girl would be released and able to live her life happily like before. Taeyeon upgraded her room into VVIP’s one, saying that she would recover faster in better treatment. Min Kyung couldn’t say no and could only reply to her kindness with her sincere words of thank you and smile.

 

3 days in hospital meant Min Kyung hadn’t presented to work for 3 days straight. She felt guilty for abandoning her responsibility but Taeyeon still forbade her from going to work. She would open her laptop and tried to send emails when Sunmi was sleeping and accompanied the little girl when she woke up. Taeyeon always dropped by every single day, spending an hour or two with Sunmi. She too never forgot to bring something that would put a huge smile on Sunmi’s face.

 

“Mommy, when will Taeyeon come? I missed her~” The little girl averted her attention from the TV and asked Min Kyung.

 

“She is busy with work, Sunmi-ah.” Min Kyung smiled.

 

“Oh but it’s already dark. She will come soon. I am sure.” The little girl grinned and continued watching.

 

“ANNYYEEOONNGG!!”

 

“TAEYEON!!” Sunmi threw the remote to the bed and raised both of her hands.

 

“Look who’s excited to meet me?” Taeyeon opened widely and raised both of her eyebrows.

 

“ME ME ME!!” Sunmi moved her legs up and down, obviously happy that her expected guest had finally come.

 

“Me me me?? Who is me me me?” Taeyeon felt her tiredness along with her stress swept away the moment she landed her eyes on the little girl. Yes, she still looked sick and languid but her laughter made her relieved; it meant she had every will to be healthy soon.

 

“KIM SUNMI!” The little girl yelled while giggling.

 

“Kim Sunmi?” Taeyeon asked again. She turned to Min Kyung.

 

“Yes, my late husband’s surname is Kim.” Min Kyung clarified carefully.

 

“Oh, I see.” Taeyeon braced herself. She tried to control her emotion. She shouldn’t have felt happy knowing that originally Sunmi’s surname was Kim but here she was, feeling slightly giddy and excited to know that fact.

 

“You bring something for me, Taeyeonniee??” The little girl innocently asked.

 

“Hmm~~ Let’s see. Is Sunmi being a good girl today?” Taeyeon asked playfully. She walked closer to the bed and stood up beside the siting little girl.

 

“Yes yes yes.” Sunmi nodded.

 

“Really?”

 

“Wreeaallyy~~” The little girl sang.

 

“Then Taeyeon has a gift for her~” Taeyeon brought her hand to her back, trying to retrieve the bag from her backpack.

 

“Tadaaa!!” Taeyeon presented the wrapped medium-sized box to Sunmi.

 

“What is it?” The little girl shook the box vigorously.

 

“Hey, you would ruin the content if you do that.” Min Kyung said to her daughter.

 

“Mommy, open it for me?” Sunmi gave the box to Min Kyung.

 

“It’s okay. Open it.” Taeyeon added. Min Kyung did as she was told and slowly unwrapped the box to reveal the content.

 

“OMO! BWRAWBIEE!!” The little girl squealed.

 

“Shuushh.. You would disturb other patients if you screamed like that, Sunmi-ah.” Min Kyung reminded the little girl and in an instant, Sunmi pursed her lips cutely.

 

“Aigoo~~ why are you so cute?” Taeyeon chuckled and pinched Sunmi’s right cheek tenderly.

 

“Gimme gimme~~” Sunmi wagged her hands, asking for the Barbie to be returned to her.

 

“Ask nicely.” Min Kyung said.

 

“Mommy, will you please give that to me??” The little girl didn’t forget to blink her eyes rapidly to add the cuteness to highest level.

 

“Fine. Here it is.” Min Kyung smiled and gave the Barbie to her daughter.

 

“Thank you~~” The little girl hugged her new toy closed to her chest. She curiously opened the box’s lid and took out the Barbie from its box.

 

“Before you play it, what should you say to Auntie Taeyeon hmm?” Min Kyung held Sunmi’s tiny hands so she couldn’t do anything further with her new doll.

 

“Thank you for the gift, Taeyeonniee.” The little girl looked up and smiled sweetly at Taeyeon.

 

“You are most welcome, Sunmi-ah.” Taeyeon ruffled Sunmi’s hair lovingly, making the little girl giggled longer.

 

“Have you had dinner? I brought you food.” Taeyeon showed the plastic container in her left hand.

 

“Oh you don’t need to do that, Tae.” Min Kyung shyly said.

 

“It’s okay. I passed this restaurant on my way here anyway. It’s western though. I hope you don’t have lethargic for pizzas.” Taeyeon retrieved the pizza box and opened it in front of Min Kyung.

 

“PIZZASS!!” Sunmi had a baffled expression.

 

“Na ah, Sunmi. You cannot eat this.” Taeyeon waved her index finger.

 

“But Taeyeonniieee~~” Sunmi who had learned about Taeyeon’s weakness tried to attack Taeyeon with her immense cuteness.

 

“Noo~~” Taeyeon covered her face.

 

“Min Kyung, tell her that she must not eat the pizzas~” Taeyeon pouted. Little did she know that what she did just now made Min Kyung’s heart skipped a beat.

 

“Sunmi-ah, behaved well or Taeyeon won’t bring you toys anymore.” Min Kyung smiled at Taeyeon before setting on her serious expression and warned her daughter.

 

“Yes, Mommy.” Sunmi pouted but nodded her head nevertheless.

 

That day, Taeyeon didn’t even realize she had spent more time with Sunmi and Min Kyung than she had originally planned. She waited for Min Kyung to finish her dinner while playing with Sunmi. After, she read the story book she bought for the little girl the day before until Sunmi slept peacefully. She was even the one who tucked Sunmi under the blanket safely. When her wife called, she just realized it was already 9 pm and she was still in the hospital.

 

She excused herself, saying she needed to go home. Min Kyung of course understood that after all, Taeyeon wasn’t Sunmi’s father and that she had her wife waiting for her at home. If anything, she should have felt ashamed and guilty for making Taeyeon spend too much time with her and Sunmi. Whenever she witnessed Taeyeon had calls or texts from her wife, she felt guilt overwhelmed her. But it’s not like she’s the one who seduced Taeyeon. Again, she never did anything beyond friendship gestures with Taeyeon so she shouldn’t have felt guilty. Right?

---

 

“Where have you been, Taeyeon-ah?” Tiffany turned off the TV and glimpsed at the clock hanging on the wall. It showed at 10 pm.

 

“I am sorry, Fany-ah. I have a big tender going on so I need to stay at the office longer to ensure all the necessary documents are correct and complete.” Taeyeon made another lie. She even forgot how many times she had lied to Tiffany nor did she remember when the first time she lied to her.

 

“But it’s been two weeks. Hasn’t it ended already? When is the submission date?” Tiffany got up, approaching her husband, and hugged her. She obviously missed Taeyeon. The woman would leave early in the morning and come home very late.

 

“I know baby. Hopefully, it will be submitted before this month ends.” Taeyeon withdrew her body and kissed Tiffany shortly.

 

“I missed you.” Tiffany sighed silently, still had her eyes closed even when Taeyeon’s lips had parted from hers.

 

“But I always come home, don’t I? No matter how far I go or how long I have gone, I will always go back to your embrace. You are my only shelter, the only person who owns my heart, my home.” Taeyeon ruffled Tiffany’s hair and offered her the best smile she could ever make.

 

“That’s not what I meant, Tae. I know you will always come home to me and yes I also know how much you love me but, is work more important than me?” Tiffany groaned a little. Sometimes she wondered, how could Taeyeon still be so dense even after years of marriage.

 

“Of course not! That’s rhetorical, Fany-ah. I am just busy lately and when this is the end, I would come home on time like I used to.” Taeyeon observed Tiffany’s expression carefully, trying to find hidden feelings Tiffany kept from her.

 

“If lately means since you have a new secretary then I would understand but if ‘when this end’ means I have to wait until Seohyun go back to work which by the way is still around 2 months from now then I don’t want to understand,” Tiffany said after being silent for some seconds after Taeyeon’s previous statement.

 

“What are you implying?” Taeyeon cocked her eyebrows.

 

“I don’t imply anything. I am just stating the fact.” Tiffany retorted blatantly.

 

“Look, I am tired from work, and arguing with you is not preferable. How many times do I have to say that I am NOT cheating on you!” Taeyeon lost her patience a bit.

 

“And I am tired of crying over you; having these uncontrollable thoughts that you’re somewhere out there with another woman while I am here waiting for you like an idiot.” Tiffany emotionally exclaimed. She saw Taeyeon sighing with her shoulders slumped.

 

“You are not in my place, Tae. You work every single day, meeting friends and business partners, having lunch with them; meeting, and continuously working on something. But what about me? Every day I am home, doing what a normal housewife would do while waiting for her husband to come home. It’s different if the person I am waiting for has effort to come home early but you.. You always come after 9 pm and it’s been happening too often lately.” Tiffany felt her eyes became watery and soon, drip after drip of salty water surfaced from her droopy eyes.

 

“Fany-ah.” Taeyeon called softly. Suddenly she felt guilty feelings overwhelmed her, engulfing her alive. Here she was, lying about her where about while her wife was feeling lonely, waiting for her to come home helplessly every single day.

 

“No. It’s okay. It is your duty to work and hundreds of people rely on you. I shouldn’t be this selfish. I am sorry. Maybe because it’s just..” Tiffany lost words. She let her emotion out and cried in front of her husband.

 

“I am sorry. I am so so sorry. I promise not to come home late too often. Maybe two times a week, yes? I will try to change it. Please don’t cry?” Taeyeon scooted and pulled Tiffany, hugging her wife so tightly.

 

“…..” Tiffany couldn’t say any more words and continued crying on Taeyeon’s shoulder, shamelessly burying her head inside Taeyeon’s crook.

 

“Please stop crying. I love you, Fany-ah and I swear to God that I don’t cheat on you.” Taeyeon felt sad seeing her wife cry. She too couldn’t hold back the tears so she cried along together with her wife.

 

“I love you too.” Tiffany said while sobbing.

 

“I am sorry, okay? I will try to be more understanding.” Taeyeon pulled away and wiped Tiffany’s tears. The latter was still quiet and only nodded her head.

 

“Do you want to go back to work? Or maybe having some business like boutique or such?” Taeyeon brushed her own tears and turned to her wife. She saw how Tiffany had aged, looking older than her actual age. Most possibly because it was caused by her.

 

“No. Just come home soon right after work.” Tiffany sniffed. She rested her head on Taeyeon’s shoulder and hugged her ways sideways.

 

“I will.” Taeyeon tilted her head, kissing Tiffany’s forehead.

 

“Then I am happy.” Tiffany smiled a little.

 

“I am sorry for yelling at you and thinking that you accuse me all the time.” Taeyeon expressed her apology.

 

At that time, she realized how she had literally abandoned her real family, the only person she ever truly loved. Yes, she had to admit she was weak when it came to children. It’s understandable to act that way when all you’re lack from your almost complete life was a kid, right? She didn’t even remember how many nights she had had, dreaming how Tiffany and her daughter/son waiting for her right behind the door and were ready to welcome her from work. And yet, whenever she opened her eyes, she was disappointed to realize it’s nothing but a dream; a dream which maybe wouldn’t be come true.

 

“It’s fine. It’s partially my fault too.” Tiffany said.

 

“Let’s go to the bedroom? I know you are sleepy.” Taeyeon cooed. Tiffany nodded and got up, following her husband to bed like an obedient sheep led by its shepherd.

 

Taeyeon closed the door and by the time she turned her body around, she saw Tiffany had lied down in the bed. She smiled sadly, thinking of how bad she had hurt her wife. She then went to the bathroom to have a quick bath. She frowned when she looked around and found the light was . She remembered clearly she had turned it off before going to bath.

 

“Fany-ah, you’re not asleep?” Taeyeon dried her hair with the towel and walked to the bed.

 

“I missed you, Tae.” Tiffany bit her bottom lip and sat up.

 

“Huh? But I am home already and haven’t I said I would try to come home earlier starting tomorrow?” Taeyeon was clueless.

 

“I missed you as in I missed having our intimate moment. It’s been over a week and yet you were always tired or I was asleep when you came home so we didn’t manage to have ‘fun’ at night.” Tiffany said as she was grazing the bedsheet, trying to seduce Taeyeon albeit shyly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter