Clumsy

Traits
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kim Taeyeon, a dedicated full-timer scientist, a geneticist to be more specific. She is 27 years old and most of her time was taken to study further about the organism characteristics and its developments. She worked, as well as studied how different life formed vary and how it was passed on to succeeding generations. In short sentence, it’s a complex job which Taeyeon had accidentally chosen. She never had passions in science, chemical compounds, endless testing & analysing, or anything like that. Heck, she wasn’t even a curious human to begin with when it’s the most basic trait required to be a scientist. So, how did she end up being a scientist then?

 

The answer would be ridiculous and unbelievable. Taeyeon had always had poor eyesight because she spent most of time playing games when she’s still a kid. Thus, she could barely see something properly if she didn’t wear her glasses. That day, she got a test and she had accidentally chosen the wrong major. The locations between Social Studies Major & Science were too close that the poor teenager at that time failed to distinguish one thing from another. Yes, she forgot to bring her glasses that day and yes, she had brought the form as close as possible to her eyes and yes, her fingers moved on its own and voila! She got accepted by the wrong department. Her parents couldn’t be prouder while for Taeyeon; her world felt like it had stopped rotating since that day.

 

It was common information for her close friends and families that Taeyeon was a clumsy woman. It didn’t happen only once or twice but it happened like all the time that Taeyeon’s closest persons would be surprised if Taeyeon was careful that day or any other day. It was simply a rare occurrence for them to see Kim Taeyeon didn’t make a mistake and no, Taeyeon never intended to do things recklessly. It just happened on its own, like a gravity force that automatically pulled something closer to the earth and for Taeyeon, her clumsiness followed her everywhere.

 

The only thing why her friends never left her was because they knew; Taeyeon never meant what she did ‘accidentally’. Taeyeon’s was harmless and her intentions were never bad but she just had this indescribable tendency to do things carelessly. So far, her clumsiness never caused disaster, force major, havoc, or such. It was just harmless mistakes and yet, Taeyeon often did things clumsily that she herself got hurt, mostly it was related to her and often unsuccessful relationships.

 

One time she dated a passionate chef that she got inspired to learn how to cook. She used all online applications she could find to help her cooking; Youtube, Instagram, and others. One day, she mixed salt with sugar that the food she had made turned out hideous that her boyfriend almost lost his taste but. Surely it was only one time so he forgave her. However, when Taeyeon repeated the mistake several times after, the man had to make his decision to break things over with Taeyeon or else, he would lose his ability to taste for good and it wasn’t an option since he was a chef and all.

 

Taeyeon was a positive, optimist, and cheerful woman that few months after the break up, she got an architect as her next lover. He was sweet, smart, and a detail oriented person. He was around 5 years older than Taeyeon at that time. The relationship was too good to be true and it almost reached a year with Taeyeon’s inevitable recklessness which was always been forgiven by him until he couldn’t do that anymore. Taeyeon had accidentally nudged the coffee on the table which smeared and ruin his architect design which was by the way he had to submit by the next day. Well, the story has to be wrapped up or Taeyeon would remember and felt guilty again like how she felt months after the breakup occurred.

 

One thing after another and Taeyeon had managed to make a full list down of her exes name and most of the time they had to breakup because of her; her clumsiness to be more precise. That’s being said, Taeyeon had enough trying to dedicate her fragile heart and priceless time for another relationship. As time went by and she dedicated more time in science, little by little her heart couldn’t longer believe that love existed. Her brain was occupied with numbers and compounds that her heart was colonized that it almost forgot how to love.

 

The current Taeyeon only knew two kinds of love now; the love for her friends and families and another one for her hobby contained of drawing, watching Netflix, singing, dancing, and recently she really like really love photography that she had spent one full month salary to buy the best camera she could ever get with such amount of money. And right now she was with her best friend, Yuri who was also a scientist in different concentration. They were roaming and following the tour guide in studying more about ancient history about Egypt. None of them knew though why they had to acknowledge things of Egyptians when they were presently living in South Korea.

 

“Pharaoh is the common title used for the monarchs of ancient Egypt from the first dynasty until the annexation of Egypt by the Roman Empire in 30 BCE” The man whose responsibility as their group guide explained while standing in front of something long and looked like coffin.

 

“If I didn’t remember being a good friend, I swear I wouldn’t want to come here with you, Taeng. This is totally boring! Who the hell would listen to him speaking about Egyptian anyway? And since when Korea is willing to spend money to import this rare coffin from Egypt? They are very stingy to donate some for our research though.” Yuri complained by whispering it lowly to her friend beside her.

 

“I know, Yul and that’s exactly why Sooyoung escaped from me. I wanted to invite her and others too but at the end, you’re the only one who said replied my text and said yes.” Taeyeon replied with a sorry smile.

 

“You mean I am your last resort! Yah did I know, I wouldn’t have said yes, Taeyeon! You trapped me and dragged me-“

 

“I will appreciate if you can talk a bit more softly, thank you.” The tour guide said and that’s enough to shush Yuri from protesting further.

 

“And the coffin beyond me is believed to be the daughter of Egypt one of most famous pharaohs of all time, Amenhotep III. Amenhotep III has some daughters and one of them is Henuttaneb and it is believed that the person inside the coffin is her, the great Henuttaneb herself.” The tour guide moved aside so the group of visitors, including Taeyeon and Yuri could come closer and have a better look.

 

“Can I ask why is Henuttaneb is in Korea? I mean she comes from Egypt and I also ‘believe’ she died in Egyp. What is she doing here then? How much money did our President spend to send her death form from Egypt to South Korea?” Yuri bombarded the man with questions and it caught Taeyeon off guard that Yuri would be that mean to the poor man.

 

“Uhm.. She arrived here around last month and it’s not that we bought it from Egypt. The Egypt historical government lent it to us for a year so she will be brought back to where she comes from next year. Regarding your last question-“

 

“You don’t need to answer that, really. She was just messing up with you. Can we take picture of her though?” Taeyeon apologetically smiled and bowed to Yuri. She didn’t forget to press Yuri’s back so the woman was unwillingly bowing too.

 

“Of course you may. Take your time and until 10 minutes, we shall move to the next part of the Museum.” The tour guide nodded his head and stepped aside. He went ahead and talked with one of the group visitors and left Taeyeon along with Yuri alone.

 

“She looks horrible, doesn’t she, Taeng? I mean there are cavities everywhere in her face and some of her teeth are gone. I cannot even portray how she looks like when she is alive.” Yuri commented while pacing around the coffin with her eyes down; staring closely at the woman lying in the coffin.

 

“Most of the mummies look like this, Kwon Yuri. Don’t tell me it’s actually the first time you look at it. I mean, you can even search it in Youtube if you want. Amenhotep III was a great king and he reigned for almost 40 years. We are lucky that we can see one of his daughters. I wouldn’t be this excited if I have to see Xerces’ descendants for he is an evil king and is known for his ruthless tyranny.” Taeyeon elaborated while taking pictures at the woman with her camera. The coffin was opened since now they were inside the special room which was equipped with compounds that could prevent the mummy from deteriorating further.

 

“The hell you are saying, Taeyeon! Are you really my friend? Aren’t we scientists? Then how can you know so much about history?!” Yuri looked at her weirdly, like she couldn’t believe Taeyeon knew things as much as the tour guide whose occupancy was directly related to his knowledge of ancient history.

 

“Didn’t I tell you how my stupid clumsiness attacked at the worst timing possible when I chose my major? I wouldn’t end up being a scientist if it’s according to my passion, Yul.” Taeyeon lowered down her camera and sighed. Then again, it’s been years so there’s no use to regret over things now.

 

“Ah I remember. Sorry for bringing up that. So, do you think this woman whoever her name is, is beautiful when she’s still alive, Taeng?” Yuri changed the topic.

 

“I have no idea. Besides, she is Egyptian, and obviously the parameter to define someone’s beauty in Korea would be different from in Egypt. But since she is Amenhotep III daughter, I think she will look more than okay.” Taeyeon shrugged and made her way closer to the woman’s face so she could take better and close-up picture of her.

 

Yuri followed Taeyeon from behind and if you looked around, only two women were interested enough to get to know Henuttaneb better since the rest of the groups talked with each other. Taeyeon wore her favourite converse shoes that day which of course had laces and she didn’t realize how her shoelace loosed that she accidentally stepped on it and made her balance went off. Her hands reached for whatever she could grab but when she couldn’t and Yuri went panic so instead of pulling Taeyeon back to her feet, she pushed the poor woman forward. Taeyeon was totally helpless to fight the gravity and she found her face was attached with the mummy woman inside the coffin and specifically her lips touched with Henuttaneb’s dry ones.

 

Taeyeon’s eyes went wide after knowing what just happened and she quickly mustered up her energy to stand up back on her two feet. Her eyes met the man’s eyes; the very same person who explained about the ancient history before.

 

“What you did is execrable. If I found things different with her before she was kissed by you then I’d be sure to sue for whatever damages you have caused.” The man’s voice sounded threatening and Taeyeon could only step aside and let the man inspected the woman lying in the coffin condition.

 

“You are lucky she is still intact. Now let’s just go to other areas before you caused more troubles here.” The man assertively said and Taeyeon nodded her head nervously. She pushed Yuri to walk ahead of her toward the direction the man suggested. Taeyeon didn’t look back, too afraid to do it, knowing she just accidentally kissed the dead woman.

 

“It’s alright, Taeng. No harm is done. You didn’t mean to kiss her. I mean, I know you’ve been single for the past year but I know you so well that you are not that desperate to kiss an immobilized woman like her, moreover with her incomplete face organs.” Yuri patted her friend’s shoulder.

 

“Yah! If you didn’t push me before, none of it would happen! And no, I am not desperate!! I happen to love genetics cells more than a real human who contains of numerous cells!” Taeyeon barked and Yuri laughed out loud at her friend and her cute demeanour.

 

“I know, Taeng. I know.” Yuri continued walking with her friend, following the man closely since once in a while he would look over his shoulder to ensure the two women were walking behind him.

---

 

Taeyeon and Yuri’s museum exploration went on until late afternoon and the Museum had to be closed for the day. Yuri asked to have early dinner together with Taeyeon before going home and the older woman agreed; Taeyeon’s stomach never said no to food at anytime and anywhere though. They parted their ways when Taeyeon had dropped Yuri in front of her apartment building prior to driving home.

 

Tomorrow was Sunday which meant she would still have at least another day off before having to face the barely bearable Monday. Taeyeon just finished parking her car in the provided parking lot, didn’t forget to lock her car afterward. She headed to the entrance of her apartment building when she found a woman sitting on the stairway. Taeyeon glanced at the woman but didn’t pay much attention. She was about to continue walking when the woman suddenly stood up and hindered her way.

 

“You’re finally here! I have been waiting for you so long.” The woman who looked like her age if not younger abruptly jumped to her, hugging Taeyeon.

 

“Whoaa!! Wait a minute. Do I know you? Are you my faraway sibling I have never known? Wait.. Don’t tell me you are my father’s illegitimate daughter I didn’t know of.” Taeyeon removed both woman’s arms and stepped backward.

 

“You are the one who kissed me earlier. Didn’t you remember what you just did few hours ago?” The woman frowned, showing that she was upset with Taeyeon’s action previously.

 

“Who? I didn’t kiss anyone today. I went out with Yuri literally the whole day and-.. Wait a minute. I don’t have any obligation to explain anything to you when I don’t even know who you are. If you will excuse me, I am gonna get going to my apartment now.” Taeyeon sighed. She was tired today and she was almost got sued by the tour guide no thanks’ to her clumsiness so dealing with a stranger was out of option if she could choose.

 

“I am Henuttaneb, daughter of Amenhotep III and his Great Royal Wife, Queen Tiye.” The woman’s answer stopped Taeyeon from walking further.

 

“What? Now that’s enough. Which reality show is it, huh? Where are the cameramen? Yah! Show yourself! What kind of prank are you trying to do to me?!” Taeyeon paced to every direction, trying to seek other people aside from this weird woman. Taeyeon went a bit further but still couldn’t find anyone and it made her pissed.

 

“Okay lady, whoever you are. Listen, it’s still Saturday and my job is totally exhausting. That’s why I really value my days off. I want to go to my apartment, shower, make some quick snacks and watch Netflix. I will be very thankful if you can stop bothering me and admitting someone you are not.” Taeyeon huffed, placing both hands on her waist. She put on a serious expression while the woman looked scared and intimidated. Surely, it made Taeyeon felt a bit guilty… Only a bit though.

 

“I am really Henuttaneb. I know this would be hard for you to believe me since I am the same woman lying in the coffin a few hours ago but you kissed me and it woke me up. So here I am now, asking for your responsibility to make me yours.” The woman confidently said. Okay, Taeyeon’s slight guilt went vanished as soon as it appeared. This woman was undoubtedly weird and crazy.

 

“One, you are clearly Korean although you look a bit like American.. Oh well, you have a fair white skin while most of Egyptian are supposedly depicted with reddish, olive, or yellow skin tones. Even some of them have dark skins and you are way too far from what I just mentioned.” Taeyeon raised her index finger, showing the woman ‘one’ in number.

 

“Two, you just called yourself as Henuttaneb who has died thousand years ago while now is 2020 for your info so there’s no way you are the same person whom you mentioned. Unless your family name is Kim or Bae so you’d be like Bae Henuttaneb but it’s not, right?”

 

“Three and I hope it’s the last one because I don’t have all night to raise all my fingers. I don’t need to be responsible for anything related to you since obviously it’s the first time and hopefully last time we’d meet.” Taeyeon said before pulling all of her fingers down.

 

“Unless we went to the same school but I should have remembered you if we did. Your face features is not easily forgotten.” Taeyeon added.

 

“What can I do to make you believe me? What is your name, oh lover?” Taeyeon felt her patience was running low so instead of answering, she walked through the entrance and where the elevator was located at.

 

“I asked who your name is. You have kissed me right on my lips so the least thing you can do to-“ The woman couldn’t continue speaking when Taeyeon covered with her palm.

 

“Are you really crazy?! What the hell are you talking about! I have told you I never met you and I like men, thank you.” Taeyeon didn’t know why she had to explain it but she did anyway. The woman was truly beautiful with pink and well-shaped lips, pointed nose, beautiful cheekbones, and doe brown eyes but as Taeyeon said, she was straight so this woman unquestionably lied. Why would Taeyeon kiss her anyway, despite her gracious features, huh? Right, Taeyeon would never do that.

 

“But if that’s what it takes to make you shut up then fine! My name is Taeyeon. There, happy?” Taeyeon groaned and felt thankful when the elevator came to pick her up. She entered the empty elevator and pressed her floor’s number. Of course, the woman followed her and Taeyeon had to regulate her breath to maintain her almost non-existent patience.

 

“What are you doing? Unless you’re living here too, you cannot just enter the elevator aimlessly, lady!” Taeyeon raised her voice tone a bit. It’s either the woman was deaf, ignorant, or she was paid highly for hosting whatever reality show she was having right now. Taeyeon waited but no one entered aside from her and the weird woman.

 

“Aren’t your cameramen come along?”

 

“Cameramen? I am afraid I don’t understand you.” The woman looked honest and Taeyeon almost believed it. But she just admitted she was the dead woman in the coffin Taeyeon saw earlier so if she wasn’t a liar then Taeyeon didn’t know who she was.

 

“You have one installed in your blouse, right? The Halloween celebration has passed and I wonder why you still wear that bizarre costume. You really are going all out, aren’t you?” Taeyeon shook her head but didn’t do more since the elevator’s doors were parted and Taeyeon came out, followed by the woman of course.

 

“Until when you’re going to keep on following me, lady? I want to enter my apartment and since I don’t know you, you are forbidden from entering my property.” Taeyeon halted before the door of her apartment’s number and faced the woman.

 

“You have been talking non-stop since then. When will you give me time to explain things about myself? How can I explain it to you if you keep assuming without giving me chance to explain?” The woman spoke and as much as Taeyeon hate to admit it, the woman was right. Then again, why should she give her the chance to begin with? She didn’t know who she was and she lied about her name. Those two reasons were enough to emphasize how Taeyeon shouldn’t give her any chance at all.

 

“And why would I do that?” Taeyeon sighed, racking her brain. This was not the kind of Saturday she had planned to have. She typed the password and the door unlocked automatically.

 

“Because I love you.” Taeyeon was removing her shoes when she heard the sudden confession and it succeeded in again damaging her balance that she fell down on her .

 

“By the Gods! Are you okay?” The woman quickly helped Taeyeon to get up but of course, Taeyeon rejected reaching out hand.

 

“I can do it by myself. It often happens anyway, me being clumsy.” Taey

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter