Chapter 24

Love Me Now

After they successfully made Kai’s escaped from Jihyo’s apartment quietly, she got ready to go to her college. A few minutes later, she went out to the kitchen and she was nearly fallen on the floor when she saw a terrible looking creature in front of her.

“Aaahhh… what the- MOM?! What’s wrong with your face?” Jihyo’s eyes were widened and focused to the woman in front of her. She walked in to the kitchen while looking at her mother who was standing near the fridge with a green face mask on her.

“Oh, good morning my dear Jihyo~” Mrs. Song greeted her daughter and gave Jihyo a smile which did not make Jihyo’s fear any better. It just made it more creeper. As a result, Jihyo made a face and trembled from the eerie sensation that her mother produced.

“Mom, why are you wearing that?”Jihyo asked while motioning her finger around her mother’s face. Mrs. Song just looked at her daughter with a blank stare.

“Oh, this,” Mrs. Song pointed to her own face and smiled again.

“Please stop that while you still wearing that thing,” Jihyo pleaded in her mind.

“I got this from your aunt Jong Ok. She said this mask is good four our skin. If you want to have a healthy skin and pretty face, you should try this,” her mother continued and explained the benefit of the product as if she was in a TV commercial. Jihyo gave a thought on the benefits and she touched her face. It was true that her skin was not in a healthy condition right now due to her late night sleep habit. Well, it was not like she wanted to sleep late at night. It was all because of her never ending assignment and reports she had to deal with.

“Hmm, what if I give it a try? But, wait a sec, if I wear it, Kai will gave the same reaction I gave to mom! He will be frightened when he sees my face!” Jihyo cried in her mind and suddenly she remembered something. “Hey, hold it right there. Why should I think about what he thinks? I don’t care~ It’s not like I was… I… was… in love with him?!” as if a strike of lightning hit her, Jihyo froze on her spot. Mrs .Song who did not receive any response from her daughter, wave her both hand in front of Jihyo. She became panicked when Jihyo seemed to be frozen.

“Yah… Jihyo, Song Jihyo, what’s wrong, dear? Are you okay?” Mrs. Song shook Jihyo’s shoulder until Jihyo back to her senses.

“Uh, I… uh… I got to go now. And I don’t need that facial mask!” with that, Jihyo ran to the door and slammed the door. Mrs, Song who was dumbfounded by her daughter was left alone in the apartment.

 

-AT JIHYO’S COLLEGE-

“JIHYO… SONG JIHYO…” as soon as Jihyo entered the college’s ground, she heard someone was yelling her name and the voice was so familiar. It was her best friend, Min Jung. She was running as fast as she could towards Jihyo.

“Oh, morning Min Jung. What’s wrong?” Jihyo looked at the panting Min Jung worriedly. Min Jung was panting so hard that it was hard for her to talk. She bends downwards, both hand on her knees and sweat could be seen on her forehead. “Yah, you should try to exercise more. Are you sure you’re fit? You’re nearly collapse just by running like that?” well, Jihyo was not exaggerating the facts. Actually the distance between Jihyo and Min Jung were not really far earlier, she was just about 2 km away but she was panting so hard as if she was running for a marathon.

“Hey…!! Never… mind… that.” Min Jung paused for a moment to catch her breath. “I… have… a…. bigger news,” Min Jung managed to say the words between her gasp. Jihyo gave a questionable look to her while rubbing her back. They decided to go to the cafeteria because Min Jung was desperately in need a bottle of water. When Jihyo arrived with a bottle of cold mineral water, she snatched it from Jihyo and gulped the water down . Jihyo looked at Min Jung with disbelief.

“How can a girly and ladies like girl, Min Jung drank a whole bottle in one shot?” Jihyo could not keep her eyes away from Min Jung. She really did amazed Jihyo by her drinking ability, she looks like a man who was travelling in a desert gulping down water for the first time after 5 years (okay, this sounds a little bit over. But, whatever).

“Ah… That’s better,” Min Jung placed the emptied bottle on the table while wiping her lips with the back of her hand. After a while, her facial expression turned serious again. “So, to begin my great news, I’ll start from when I had a stomachache.”

“Hold your horses there, so, the GREAT news you’re taking about was how you got your stomachache? I don’t have time for this Min Jung,” Jihyo rolled her eyes, annoyed for being dragged by her best friend as soon as she arrived at their college just to listen her abdominal misfortune.

“Please listen to me first Miss Song Jihyo,” Min Jung gave a deadly glare to Jihyo, she could be killed straight away if there was laser beaming out from Min Jung’s eyes.

“Okay, okay…” Jihyo hold up both of her hands, showing her palms to Min Jung as a sign that she surrendered.

“Good, so, where did I stop? Oh, yeah, I decided to go to the hospital to get a checkup because of my stomachache. After I finished my business with the doctor, guess who I met?” suddenly, Min Jung widened her eyes after the last question as if giving Jihyo a suspense feeling.

“Ehmm, your ex-boyfriend…?” Jihyo tried to guess with her left eyebrows being raised. But, she only received another death glare from Min Jung. Jihyo gave up on playing quizzes with her best friend and just let Min Jung continued with her story-telling.

“It’s Jinwoon’s best friends, Seulong and Jo Kwon. To kill my curiosity, I approached them and asked what they’re doing at the hospital. They were a bit surprised when they saw me but what they told me were more surprising,” Min Jung paused which made Jihyo resisted the feeling to smack her head for stopping in the middle of the story.

“They told me that Jinwoon was being hospitalized for 2 weeks now.”

“Hospitalized? Why?” there was a shocked with a mixture of worried carved on Jihyo’s face.

“He was diagnosed with a brain cancer. They said it was too late. The tumor was spreading through his brain cell,” Min Jung noticed that Jihyo’s face was suddenly changed. “Do you think that was the reason why he dumped you?” she continued.

“I’m not sure,” Jihyo whispered the answer. “I need to meet Seulong. I got to go. See you later, Min Jung,” and Jihyo stood up from her chair and left her best friend behind.

 

“I’m sorry Jihyo, but he didn’t let us to tell you.”

“But, I need to know why he did all of this to me. Why he keep it a secret? Why he have to dump me?” Jihyo stared the guilty tall and well-built young man in front of her. The guy was trying his best to calm the emotional young woman standing at his front who was looking at him by lifting her head a little.

“Jihyo-ah, you need to understand,” the guy tried again to calm her but again she won the fight.

“Listen, Seulong. I don’t care what he thinks. But, he can’t stop me from worried and care about him. Maybe, I just don’t want to end our relationship in a bad term. I just want to talk with him. Please bring me to him,” Jihyo looked at the guy named Seulong with expected eyes. And she was successful in making Seulong gave in and brought her to see Jinwoon. And yes, she skipped her class that morning.

 

-AT THE HOSPITAL-

“So, this is the room. He’ll be in there. Have a good talk with him,” with a pat on Jihyo’s shoulder, Seulong left her standing outside of Jinwoon’s door. Seulong went back to the college, but at first he wanted to wait for Jihyo. However, Jihyo being stubborn like she always did and instructed Seulong to go back because she might took some time talking to Jinwoon.

“Okay, Jihyo, you have to go inside. You have to meet him,” Jihyo said it under her breath while staring at the door. With the count of 1 to 3, she opened the door slowly. As soon as the door was opened, she saw a weak looking body lying on the bed. Jihyo approached the body slowly; her heartbeat was beating like music as she walked nearer to the bed.

“Jinwoon,” as he heard his name was called by a person he loved and regret for hurting her, Jinwoon opened his eyes gently and turned his head to the owner of the voice that he missed the most. He could not believe himself when he saw a beautiful young woman wearing a blue and white T-shirt with blue jeans and her wavy hair was flowing down, passing her shoulder.

“Jihyo? I must be dreaming right now. Why I keep seeing you in my dreams?” Jinwoon whispered to himself but Jihyo could still hear him.

“No, it’s not a dream. It’s me, Song Jihyo,” she came closer to Jinwoon and placed her hand on Jinwoon’s. He closed his eyes again and savored the soft feelings radiating from Jihyo’s touch. After a while, he opened his eyes again, feeling assured that it was real. Jihyo was standing right beside him.

“What are you doing here? I thought you hate me,” his voice sounded a little weak than usual. Jihyo took a deep breath before she opened again.

“I think you owe me an explanation, Jung Jinwoon,” Jihyo gave a stern look to Jinwoon. The guy just kept silence for nearly 5 minutes, the most silence 5 minutes Jihyo ever experienced.

“I’m sorry. I know that I’m being such a jerk. I’m selfish. But, I just want you to know that I wished for your happiness. I don’t want you to be worried and sad. I want you to find someone better and healthier than me,” Jihyo could feel that tears starting to stream down her cheeks when she heard the words coming out from Jinwoon’s mouth. Suddenly, she felt guilt crept in to her heart and it hurts her when Jinwoon thought that he would be a burden to her if they still be together. They once promised each other that they would always be there for each other through happiness and even if one of them were sick. Jihyo would always be ready to be by his side when the times where Jinwoon needed his support.

“Can’t you let me be at your side? Before you go, I just want to give you happy memories during your remaining days, tomorrow and the day after. Please let me accompany you,” Jihyo said while holding on Jiinwoon’s hand. She never thought that Jinwoon would be leaving her so fast. Jinwoon who saw the crying Jihyo gave a small smile, well as a sick person who only have a few weeks to live, he could only gave Jihyo that weak smile.

“Please stop. Stop being so nice to me. You know I still love you, right? All of my hard works on forgetting you will be such a waste,” Jinwoon said jokingly and Jihyo knew that. She gave a soft chuckled and bend down to hug him.

“Stop your nonsense. And I don’t want to hear a ‘no’ as an answer,” Jihyo’s voice became stern as she told him her words while still hugging him. Jinwoon lips turned to a smile when he heard that words from Jihyo.

“She’s still the same,” he thought and he hugged Jihyo back. “What can I do then? You can do what you want.”

“Let’s be friends again,” Jihyo suggested and Jinwoon agreed with it. They talked and laughed just like before. They talked about their past and current lives until Jinwoon finally fell asleep. Right after Jinwoon was asleep; Jihyo was standing from her seat, pulling Jinwoon’s blanket up a bit before she walked to the door.

“Sleep tight. Good night, Jung Jinwoon,” Jihyo whispered and of course it was still bright outside. As Jihyo looked at her watch, her eyes were widened in surprised.

“Oh, great. It’s almost the time Kai get back from school,” Jihyo pulled out her phone to text someone while rushing her way to the elevator. (By the way, she sounds like a mother, nah…whatever)

 

-AT KAI’S SCHOOL-

“Haah… Another boring day with the same boring Maths teacher,” Baekhyun sighed and put his elbow on the table to support his chin that placed on his palm. Kai just ignored all the rambling came out from the teacher’s mouth. He kept staring at nothing outside the window.

“Why does Maths class always feel so long?” he thought while still staring at the blue sky and playing with the pen in his right hand. Well, Maths class was the on the last period of the day, so the some of the students in Kai’s class were so lazy to participated fully in the class-  some of the were taking a nap, some were chatting about the new gossips or new fashion trends or even new drama and some of them were just staring at nothing like Kai. After a few more sentences from their teacher, the school bells echoed in the whole school building, indicating that the day was over and it was time to go home.

“Yeaahh…!!! Finally.,, Hey Kai let’s hang out at Suho’s house. I want to try his new game,” Baekhyun recommended while stuffing his properties into his backpack. However, there was no response from Kai which made Baekhyun turned his head toward Kai’s direction. And there was Kai still on his chair; his fingers were dancing through the keyboard on his smart phone’s screen. He was looking so damn serious.

“Hey, are you listening to me?” Baekhyun was feeling annoyed for being ignored, he raised his voice a bit and successfully gained Kai’s attention. Kai looked at him blankly; his finger’s still holding his cellphone.

“What?” Kai asked with his deadly unfriendly face. Beakhyun fought the urge to give a punch on that face- yes he was really annoyed right now.

“He and his anger issues, huh. I think this guy needs help from some anger management,” he could not help from saying it in his mind. Kai really got on his nerves now.

“I said; let’s go to Suho’s house. Let’s have some fun there,” Baekhyun repeated his sentences by using different words and grammar. It did not take a long time for Kai to answer him and of course the answer gave a pout to Baekhyun.

“Sorry Baek, but I can’t go today,” Kai answered, and focused back to his cellphone which suddenly vibrated signifying that new message was coming. He smiled when he saw the name of the sender.

“But why?” Baekhyun whined

but Kai did not give a of it, he was busy reading the text message on his phone.

From: My Jihyo

Message: I’m on my way to your school. Don’t be late~ :)

Kai smiled again, he did not even know why he was so happy every time he received and reads Jihyo’s text messages for him. He thought that every message Jihyo sent to him was so cute. Baekhyun made a face, his brows were furrowed together and his mouth was trying to ask Kai something but to no luck. Kai immediately stood up and hooked his bag on his shoulder, ready to leave and left Baekhyun who was dumbfounded by Kai’s action.

“Hai Kai, where are yo-,” and his words were trailed off, a pretty face boy named Luhan were waving his hand to the smiling Kai. He made the same face Baekhyun did, his brows were furrowed together. Kai seemed to not notice him. Luhan was standing in front of Kai’s and Baekhyun class blankly until Baekhyun appeared at the door frame.

“Hey, what’s wrong with him?” Luhan asked, feeling so lost by Kai’s weird attitude.

“Hmm, I don’t know. He looks stupid,” Baekhyun snorted and received a smack on his head by Suho who was just coming from behind. Baekhyun was going to whine while touching the spot where Suho hit him but he was shut by Suho’s strict word.

“Mind your words boy. He’s your best friend and your brother,” Baekhyun rolled his eyes at the last word. Now, the motherly side of Suho has surfaces.

“Since when did he become my brother? And I’m not a little kid, hyung,” Baekhyun protested, however nobody care (poor Baekie). The three of them walked together to catch up with Kai.

 

“Oppa~”

Kai frowned when he caught that annoying voice in his ears. “Ugh… Oh God…” he just wanted to walk away by speeding up his steps but that girl caught his right arm. Kai was so frustrated right now and he can felt the rage rising in his body. “You better run if you don’t want to get hurt.”

“Sorry Krystal, but I have to go now. Please let me go. Now,” Kai said with a creepy face but the girl named Jung Krystal did not even budge a bit. In fact, she tightened up her grip on Kai’s arm which made him feeling more and more suffocated.

“I don’t get it. How can she still clinging on Kai like that when he already gave her that hideous and creepy face of him? If I was the girl, I would run away and never come back to see him or for safe measures, I would NEVER do that at the first place,” Baekhyun was blabbering when they saw Kai was trapped in the grip of Jung Krystal.

“I agree with you. That girl is crazy over the top when it comes to Kai,” Luhan pulled a face. He never liked this Krystal girl so much from the first time they met. Suho did not have any comment and walked towards the troubled Kai.

“Hey Kai, what are you still doing here?” Kai was surprised when he saw the shorter guy approaching behind him. Suho who could sense that Kai was in trouble, told him to play along trough his eyes contact. (I don’t even know how they do that.)

“Oh hyung, I was looking for you. Where have you been? I thought we’re going to your house. You promised me to help me with my school works,” Kai received the code and played along with Suho. On the other hand, Baekhyun and Luhan was confused by the drama played by Kai and Suho in front of them. They looked at each other with questionable look and shrugged at the end.

“Sorry, I was finishing some papers for the principal earlier. You know the student council’s works…” Suho excellently made his tired face which nearly made Kai laughed. However, they managed to run away from the witch, thanks to Suho amazing sense of acting. Baekhyun and Luhan followed them from behind, leaving Krystal alone, feeling dumbfounded.

 

Meanwhile…

“What took him so long?” Jihyo looked at her watch and then at the school gate but there were still no traces of Kai to be seen. Jihyo leaned back on her car and waited for Kai to appear. She waits and waits for 5 more minutes then, it comes to 10 minutes and 15, 20… until she got annoyed.

“Seriously, this frog Kai really wants to receive a death note from me,” Jihyo nearly lost her temper when suddenly Kai’s figure popped out from the school’s building followed by three other guys.

Kai was walking as fast as he could when he saw Jihyo was already standing in front of the school gate, arms crossed on her chest. “Uh-oh… I’m so dead. This all Krystal’s fault,” Kai bit his lips and faced his friends which made their steps came to a halt.

“What’s wrong Kai?” Luhan asked the different looking Kai in front of them. Kai lifted his head to face them and begin his words.

“Thanks Suho hyung, for helping me earlier. Sorry guys I have to go now. I have some appointment with someone. Bye, see you tomorrow,” and Kai turned around, starts his steps towards Jihyo, he jogged a little to speed up his pace. The three boys’ eyes followed Kai until they saw where Kai was heading. Kai was waving his hand to a pretty young woman who looked annoyed about something. Kai seemed to apologizing to her and she looked at him with a frown.

“What took you so long mister?” Jihyo shot her question to the guilty Kai.

“I’m sorry, there’s some trouble happening,” Kai gave her his best smile to calm Jihyo down and it worked really well. Jihyo put her arms on her side and a smile crept on her lips.

“Okay, apologies accepted. Now, let’s go. We need to go to somewhere for our mission,” Jihyo opened her door and instructed Kai to go to the passenger seat beside her so they could go. On the other side, Baekhyun, Luhan and Suho still watching Kai and the unknown girl until her car disappeared from their view.

“Who is she?” Suho asked.

“Most importantly, what does her relationship with Kim Jongin? Luhan asked his fingers under his chin- acting like a detective.

“Well, I don’t really care. But, she’s pretty,” Baekhyun commented with a smirk

and received a stare from both side. “What?!”

 

A few minutes later, Kai and Jihyo arrived at their destination. Kai saw a young woman, same age as Jihyo who looked like she had a good fashion sense and more feminine than Jihyo.

“Yah! Song Jihyo, I’ve waited for you for God-know-how-long,” she complaint and put her arm on her waist.

“Well, not my fault,” Jihyo’s said while looking at Kai, beside her sarcastically. The latter who received the look just bend his head down from feeling guilty. Jihyo’s friend, who was scolding Jihyo earlier, turned her attention to Kai.

“Oh, you must be the guy. Hi, I’m Lee Min Jung, Jihyo’s best friend ever,” out of the confusion, Kai took the hand offered to him and the girl named Min Jung shook it lightly.

“Kim Kai,” he answered simply without giving any friendly smile but Min Jung seemed to be cool of it. Well, who does not know Lee Min Jung, the happy-go-lucky girl who always smiling and cheery, who also can be so chic, the one and only daughter of Lee Sung Hoon (haha, fictional character, no offense).

“So, let’s start our business here,” Min Jung instructed cheerfully and she entered a shop which looks like a women clothing shop. Jihyo was left with Kai outside the shop. He was dazing off, not knowing what was going on. Jihyo looked at the stunned Kai and smile at him.

“Let’s go,” Jihyo took Kai’s hand which surprised him but he just let it be. Even for a short moment, he was contented by the sudden touch. He followed Jihyo’s step in to the boutique which looked so sophisticated.

“Okay, so what am I doing here for?” Kai asked as they went into the boutique and his hand still clasped with Jihyo’s.

“We’re going to makeover you,” Min Jung said in a chic way while looking at Kai’s body from top to bottom with her sharp gaze. Kai widened his eyes in surprised, he felt like he was getting stripped by Min Jung’s deep gaze, “Hmmm, what style suits you better.”

“Wait. Hold up there, I’m going to wear these?” Kai asked in disbelief when Min Jung hand him a bunch of women clothing. Min Jung nodded her head confidently. Kai looked at Jihyo, asking for an explanation. “I thought tomorrow is not Halloween.”

“Of course not, silly. We need to disguise you. That’s our plan,” Jihyo took some clothes on Kai’s hand and scanning it through then hold it in front of Kai. “Hmm, I think this looks good on you. Try this.”

“What? Seriously?” Kai asked, he could not believe that he needed to go through all of this crap just because he wanted to be closed to Jihyo.

“Serious! Now, hurry up. Go and change. Now,” Min Jung came in between the two and pushed Kai to the fitting room. When Min Jung had already gave you instruction, no one can obey. Only Jihyo can. It took nearly 30 minutes to find the right style for Kai and Min Jung, the chic and shopaholic girl nearly gave up.

“I’m starting to feel fed up. Why are you working so hard on hiding this boy from your mom? Just tell her the truth and beside he’s just a high school boy. And plus, you don’t have any romantic relationship with him,” Min Jung said under her breath while Jihyo was looking at the clothes hanging on the holder. They were waiting for Kai to change his clothes for who-knows-how-many-times already.

“You don’t know how my mom will react to that suggestion of yours. Even if he was just a high school boy,” Jihyo quickly added the last sentence before Min Jung could open again.

“Is this okay?” Kai did not know for how many time he already asked the same question that day. He opened the fitting room’s door and revealed himself to the girls. He did not care what other people was thinking now, he was too tired to think of it anyway. The girls turned around at the same time and they gasped in awe when they looked at Kai from the bottom to top.

“So…?” Kai raised his eyebrows, waiting for the comments.

“PERFECT…!” both Jihyo and Min Jung said it at the same time. They smiled in satisfaction from their hard work, Min Jung even nearly drop a tears (so emotional). Kai looked at himself on the mirror and tilted his head a little, confused by the comment he received.

“Oh, we forgot this. The last material,” Jihyo took out a black colored wig with a loose curl. She walked to Kai and leaned closer to him to attach the wig on. Jihyo need to tiptoe to reach Kai’s head and it made their distance became more closer. Kai could feel his face was blushing as he could feel Jihyo’s warm breath blowing beside his neck.

“Finished,” Jihyo said while clapping her hands together. “You look beautiful.”

“It’s not comfortable,” Kai whined with his hand crossing on his chest.

“You’ll get used to it as time goes by. Now, let’s take a picture,” Jihyo pulled out her cellphone and took some selfies with the frowning Kai because he was forcefully being asked to cross-dress. Min Jung who was watching them silently seemed to notice something is going on in the air. She made that suspicious look they always did in a drama.

“Here, let me take the pictures,” Min Jung suggested while asking Jihyo to lend her the cellphone. Min Jung asked both of Jihyo and Kai to stand closer and told Kai to smile a bit because he looks like he was choking a chicken bone in his throat. They did as what Min Jung asked them and smiled sweetly at the camera.

 

“Do you think this will work?” Kai asked Jihyo when they arrived at the apartment building. They thanked Min Jung for helping them earlier and they went straight home.

“I’m not so sure. Let’s just pray that my mom will not notice this,” Jihyo could not confirm their safety and that’s why they should be careful. When they arrived in front of the door, both were shivering to death due to nervousness. In the count of 1, 2, 3…

The door was opened.

What will be their fate next?

 

~TO BE CONTINUED~


Fuuh, I think this the longest chapter I wrote, 4724 words. So, forgive me for any mistakes and if you find this chapter is boring cause I also think that way... T-T

To Altariamelody, I've answered your question and I just don't know how to write the situation between Jihyo and Jinwoon. I make Jinwoon sick in this story as the reason he broke up with Jihyo :(  I hope you like it...  or maybe not...

And to iamjihyofan, I'm so sorry to dissapoint you with the lack of Jihyo and Kai's sweet moment. I'll try my best to find new ideas on creating the moment of them together. 

Once again, I'm sorry for the long and crappy + boring chapter