Friends Matter

Just To Keep this Love Alive
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chorong POV

I was currently doing the inventory stock for Hotel toiletries, when my supervisor went to the stockroom and called my attention.

“Chorong, once you finished the inventory, I would like you to assist on the Hotel Restaurant, about two waitresses took a leave today, so they need someone who will take their place temporarily.” Ms. Choi informed me.

“Ms. Choi, but I still have to change the bed sheets in the third floor.” I said

“Chorong, just let the other do that, you know that you’re the only one I can trust on this.  There will be many guests tonight; I think more prominent people will attend that event.” She convinced me.

“Ok, Ms. Choi, I will do my best to help.”

“Thank you Chorong, I know you will not fail me. I think after doing the task I suggest that you take a little rest and get ready for tonight’s event.” She said before leaving the stockroom.

I continue my work and started recounting the stocks for the soap. The last supplies I will count are the breath mints.

If you are to ask me how long, I’d been working here in the Hotel. It’s been one year and two months since I started working here. Actually it is not my first job. Right after I got kicked out from our house, I immediately look for an apartment to which I can keep my stuff, of course with the help of my friends. Bomi’s family, in fact offered me to live with them which I turned down. Her family had helped me a lot and I think that was enough already and beside I had decided to be independent and live on my own.

“Are you sure, Chorong, about your decision? I mean our house is open anytime for you.”

“Thank you Aunt, but I made a promise, that I should learn to be independent and I guess it is the right time to do that.” I firmly said.

“You know Omma, Chorongie is one stubborn girl! Rongie, take care of yourself, you heard what omma said, you are always welcome here.” Bomi said as she hugged me tightly.

“Thank you very much” as I cried. As much as I want to stay with their family, I have to prove to myself that I can face any challenges that life will offer me.

I’m alone in my single bedroom apartment, the bedroom is much smaller than my previous one but I found it comfortable and relaxing. It has small receiving area adjacent the dinner area and the kitchen. My new apartment is about 5 blocks away from the university. It is not that I’m always alone in this place the girls actually love to sleep over sometimes, they would bring some foods and were like having slumber party every time they visited me. The good thing is that my neighbors work on nightshift so we have no worry that we might be disturbing them.

Since, my savings wouldn’t be enough to support my studies and daily expenses. I decided to apply for a part-time job, which I was easily accepted. I worked in a coffee shop as a barista. My shift is between 5pm to 10pm from Monday to Friday. During Saturday I accepted another part-time job as a custodian and florist in a flower shop. My earnings somehow help in my everyday expenses and I never felt so full-filled that I’m earning my own money.

At first every things seems so manageable. I attend my classes on morning and do my school activity up to late afternoon before I go to work. But things changed during the second semester of my 3rd year, we have more school projects and school activities become more demanding together with the school expenses. Most of the times I have to render overtime at work to earn more for a school project. Sometimes my friends would offer that they will lend me money in order for me to no longer render overtime, but I just can’t simply accept that.

“Unnie, you might be forcing yourself, you’re working really hard both for school activities and your work. Look, you’re too skinny and look like you’re sleep deprive.” Eunjie said, one time that she visited me at home.

“Mmmm. Eunjie, this is really delicious. Is it ok if I finish this all.”I tried to change the topic as I continued eating the food she brought me.

“Unnie, I’m just concern that your health will suffer due to overwork.” She said.

“Thank you Eunjie, but please try to understand my situation. I really need to earn money so I can continue my studies. My savings will not enough to cover up everything.” I explained.

She held my hands and said “Yes, I understand you, that is why I’m offering my help.”

“You know Eunjie, I appreciate all your help but I can’t depend on you always. I have to stand on my own”

“Ok, unnie, but you have to promise me that you will take care of yourself and don’t get sick.” She said.

“Arasso, you know that your unnie is strong.” And she laughed at my statement.

***

I was able to finish the 3rd year in college, though my grades are acceptable it is pretty low compared with the previous semesters. One day I was about to go to school when again an expected visitor went to my and discuss that my parents’ had remaining debt that I had to pay. I didn’t show any reluctance and just had accepted the bank representative explanation. I’m bit used to that and as Park only child, I had to take the full responsibility.

“Chorong unnie, I heard that you didn’t enroll for the next semester. Is that true?” Bomi asked me.

I handed and let her read the letter “Omo, this can’t be happening again. Unnie, where will you get money to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter