32; Something

Within Their Hearts

Minji and Taemin both jolted awake respectively as their phones began to ring. They both groaned and wanted nothing more than to flop back down and sleep in each others’ presence – last night was surely intense. However, they both answered their phones at the same time to hear different voices yelling at them. Minji frowned as she heard Key’s voice and Taemin, Bom’s voice. They both looked at each other and chuckled before swapping their mixed up phones. They listened as their hyung and unnie yelled at them from the other line for being late.

Minji who was sleepy and tired before jolted upright, pulled back the phone from her ear and looked at the time. She was an hour late on such an important day! She mentally screamed and cursed as she quickly apologised and hung up on her unnie, dashing into the bathroom to take a quick shower. While Taemin just listened boringly to his hyung complain about him being late and for not answering his calls yesterday – the usual Key being in diva mode. He nodded and “mmmh”ed as replies to Key’s nagging, paying no attention as he watched his wife scramble out of bed and hit the shower. Taemin let out a yawn and promised that he’d meet his hyungs later when he had cleaned himself and had breakfast before hanging up on him. He felt his eyes droop and as he slowly drifted back to sleep before he heard the opening of the bathroom door loudly along with a few mumbles. He slowly opened his eyes and sat up to see his wife running down the stairs in just a bathrobe. He shrugged and hopped out of bed and into the steamy shower to enjoy his wash.

Minji ran hurriedly into her room where she hastily picked out her uniform for the day, grey and white coloured jeans along with a printed white t-shirt and a blue and white jacket. She grabbed the first bag she saw and placed all her belongings in it, rushing towards the front door and failing to notice that her husband was on the last step of the stairs and was watching her movements intently. He watched in simple amusement as she failed to notice him and hurriedly leave the house. He shrugged again and decided to head to the kitchen where he made himself a scrumptious breakfast he devoured pleasantly.





“You’re late” Chaerin stated as she saw the flushed face and panting female before her.

“I know. I’m sorry unnies, I overslept”

Bom frowned. “What were you and Taemin doing last night? I mean, he did answer your phone this morning when I called you”

Her two other unnie’s eyes widened and they all leaned in towards the now blushing female.

“Well that’s for me to know and you to find out! Aren’t we going to shop now?”

Bom and Dara thought of prying more into the situation but were not able to do so when Chaerin interrupted them and led them to different stores.
The quadruple walked around the mall, looking at different dresses and accessories for the night. They could’ve honestly rocked up in anything they wanted but knew that this was a very special event and so was very serious in their choices of clothing. They tried to search for dresses that were semi-formal because they all knew that the highlight of the reunion would be at the club, at the end of dinner. When they were finally done with their choice of outfits which ended up being in one of Chaerin’s boutiques, they headed for a soft late lunch, consuming small amounts of pasta and salads.

As they finished, they were all pulled to the nearby salon, Jiyong’s salon to be exact by Chaerin. There, they got ready for the dinner party to commence at 8pm. It was as if they were all going through some mid-life crisis or something as they all changed their hairstyles and fairly heavy make-up was placed upon them. Chaerin had her blonde hair re-dyed to a brighter shade while Dara dyed her hair chocolate brown and Bom, a soft orange. While Minji only had her black hair cut into a bob. Dara who was seated beside Minji as she waited for the dye to seep in gasped in shock as the hair dresser moved away from the female. The other two turned to see what Dara had gasped about with curious eyes when their eyes all landed on one particular spot of her now exposed neck. Minji looked at them with furrowed eyebrows and suddenly became conscious of her new hair style and stole glances of herself in the mirror. She frowned as she saw that she looked pretty fine. She turned back to her unnies and looked at them with a questioning to which Dara answered.

“Minji! Your neck! Omo! Omo!”

“What are you talking about?”

Minji frowned again as she touched her neck and winced as her fingers brushed over a sensitive spot before turning her neck towards the mirror where she spotted the purple bruise. fell open in shock and her mind went back to what happened yesterday between her and Taemin.

“Oh My God” she groaned.

“What were you doing last night with Taemin huh Minji-ah?” questioned Bom teasingly. Minji blushed and covered the hickey.

Her unnies chuckled and exchanged glances with each other – their Minji had finally grown up. However, Dara frowned as she could still not bring herself to trust Minji with Taemin. She sighed and looked at Minji with pursed lips.

When they were finally finished, they crashed at Chaerin and Key’s shared apartment where they slipped into their respective dresses, heels and jackets. They made sure they looked presentable and snapped a group picture before heading to the restaurant with Dara as the driver. They all felt their bodies tingle with excitement and anxiousness. As the car was taken away by the valet, they walked nervously yet confidently into the reserved room of the restaurant. Their smiles widened as they saw their old acquaintances and rushed to them for a greeting and a hug. They mingled with each other and their president, not caring about anything else than catching up with each other. They forgot about the time and continued to chat with each other like they hadn’t seen each other in ages, they hadn’t but they were overall just ecstatic with being in each other’s company once again. Laughter rang throughout the room as they conversed, speaking of what occurred in their lives in recent years. As they were immersed in different conversations, a loud clearing of a voice quietened them down. It was from none other than the president himself who raised his glass of wine, proposing a toast to which they all cheerfully replied to.

They all took their respective seats and began devouring their food with light and cheerful conversation. President Yang scanned around the room and looked at each and every single of his ex-students, a fatherly and sad smile graced his features. The small kids that he saw become teenagers have now finally become adults with relationships of their own. His smile remained plastered on his face as his eyes fell on Dongwook and Hanbyul, Jiyong and Dara and Bom and Seunghyun – the couples he witnessed bloom. However, as his eye landed on one particular female, his smile dropped a little and he looked at her with sadness. She didn’t deserve the emotional pain she was in because of one guy and what was worse was the guy was her husband. He had done a background check on the guy as soon as he heard about the engagement. He suddenly met eyes with her where she smiled warmly at him with twinkling eyes as he offered her a light nod – she had definitely matured and become more pretty. He admiringly looked at her now as he thought over the pain she had to endure, the scandals and the talks behind her back. He felt guilty for not being able to protect her but then again, all his protecting and shielding would really do her no good because she needed to be exposed to the world she was in. It was only a bit too early in her case he thought. She had in fact been 20 when she was engaged to the then 21 year old boy and now she was 22 years old, heading to 23 in a few more months. She was a strong girl and he knew that. He was, overall, glad that she seemed to be fine.

Dinner for Minji was comfortable and cheerful. She sat with her other friends that she did not frequently hang around with and caught up with them, laughing and smiling as they conversed with each other. Her eyes scanned the room for him before it landed on the male a few seats down from hers. Their eyes met and they both smiled at each other with him mouthing that they had to catch up later as her heart thumped rapidly in her chest. She smiled and nodded her head before turning her attention to the conversation being held around her.

Dinner ended and they all headed to a nearby club owned by the president. While some decided to leg it there, others decided that they’d rather bring their car there.  Minji walked into the darkness and chilly air with her arms hooked around Heeyun’s, laughing as they spoke to each other until they both felt arms around their shoulders and a person separating them. They both turned to see the intruder and smiled. Minji felt her heartbeat increase and butterflies began swimming around in the pit of stomach yet she felt happy and relieved to see him. He was after all one of her best friends, a best friend she failed to keep in contact with after one incident. She looked down and smiled a sad smile before his voice made her look at him.

“Well how are my two ladies doing?”

“Fine. But I haven’t heard much about you lately. What have you been up to?” Heeyun answered.

“I’ve been cool too. Man, I’ve got so much to tell you guys. We have to catch up, are you ladies willingly to go on a date with me?” He asked playfully while wriggling his eyebrows.

The two girls chuckled, he hadn’t changed at all and was still the cute playful oppa that they both looked up to.

“Hmm…I’m not sure if we can. I mean, we are two pretty popular ladies” replied Minji with cockiness yet the three all broke into laughter.

The trio walked along the street, chatting and laughing with the mob made up of their friends. Minji suddenly faded away from the conversation as her mind went blank, her heart clenching itself softly as she recalled the incident with her best friend. She looked at him with sad eyes…

“If nothing happened with my fated life, would we have been something by now?”