29; Within

Within Their Hearts

Minji’s POV
I looked at the house one more time before pulling out from the driveway. Yooguen had whined that he was really hungry and wanted his dinner now after I had came back from my shower. I insisted we waited for another 5 minutes to see whether Taemin would pop down or not and to my luck, he didn’t. Through the persistence and reasoning of my three unnies, we decided to head out first and wait for Taemin there. I was kind of hoping he wouldn’t come so I’d have a nice night out to dinner with some of my favourite people on earth.

We arrived shortly and all headed in, ordering this and that. I hesitated on ordering a meal for Taemin as I was not sure if he’d actually come. I contemplated on the idea and decided to order a medium steak with mushroom sauce for him, hopefully it’ll be what he intended to devour tonight. After we placed our orders, we mingled amongst each other as a group when one big bulky person feared by the Alien couple plopped down on the empty seat next to us…the trainer at our academy that forced upon us regular exercise to keep us fit and healthy, Hwangssabu.

We all turned to look at him to see that he hadn’t changed physically from the last few years we had seen him; he was still bulky and wore his signature clothing. We all broke out into smiles and conversed with him while the others who did not go to the same academy as we did looked upon with confusion and awkwardness – well that’s what I thought upon remembering that they were present and that it was not just our academy group. I tensed slightly and worried of the possibilities of a slip amongst any of us. And what I feared was noticed immediately after Hwagssabu’s question: “Have any of you been keeping shape since you all graduated from the academy?”

We all tensed and stiffened at his question while the others glanced around with the same look of confusion but now with a hint of interest. We all stayed silent until Key oppa decided to raise one question we all hoped wouldn’t be asked…

“What academy?”

I sneaked glances around and knew that one of us had to come up with a believable excuse real quick before it was exposed which particular academy we all attended. Academies were just a taboo topic overall in our circle of society….being the rich meant we would’ve attended and been a part of certain academies but these were kept top secrets for reasons I am still not sure of. Perhaps the biggest reason was and still is the competitiveness from the head of the academies – the methodology adopted to train the students and the competition to come out as the top of their game. I shifted slightly in my seat and was about to open my mouth to answer before someone beat me to it, the one who was probably the best actor out of all of us – TOP oppa.

“This sporting academy we joined back then” he replied smoothly while we all nodded along and the others looked sceptically at us.

 Hwangssabu sat quietly and watched us.

“I think it’s closed down now or something. It was one hell of an experience” chirped in Dara unnie who was also very impressive when it came to acting.

“Oh. I see” commented Onew oppa and Luna unnie who seemed convince at this moment.

We smiled slightly and before we could utter another word, Hwangssabu did.

“Well ladies and gentlemen. I’m glad to have met you guys again today but I believe I should be heading out now. Minji, would you walk me out?”

I smiled widely and nodded eagerly, wanting to get away from this awkward atmosphere despite all the smiles. As I was about to stand up, I felt something tugging on my jacket and I looked down to find Yooguen holding onto my jacket and staring up at me with his round eyes. I smiled softly and patted his head, assuring him that I would be back and that the others would not do anything harmful to him as I left. He understood my silent message and reluctantly let go.
I walked up to Hwangssabu and watched as my oppas and unnies bid goodbye to him before hooking my arms through his as we proceeded to leave the restaurant, talking silently.

“I almost forgot. I’m glad Seunghyun was able to cover it up smoothly”

I nodded silently and mentally thanked oppa.

“So you guys still haven’t told anyone about the academy?” I replied with another nod as he looked at me with a frown.

“It’s kind of a taboo topic”

“It is. But something tells me that Chaerin and your husband’s group of friends probably belong to an academy – one of which is our rivalry”

I paused at his comment and he turned to glance at me with worry on his features.

“Are you okay Minji?” He asked in concern as we walked out the door and into the cold chilly air of darkness.

“I…I never really thought of that idea. I know that it was prohibited when we were still in the academy and none of our seniors have had anything to do with other ex-academy students. It was all within our academy and circle…I just wonder what’ll happen if they all are from the opposing academies” I replied hesitantly with a frown.

“With all the time I’ve spent at the academy and the stories I’ve heard, nothing has happened. Maybe you lot will be the first to test it out. Who knows? We’ll all find out in due time.”

“I’m not sure if I actually want to find out Hwangssabu”  I answered sceptically with raised eyebrows.

He laughed lightly before his humoured eyes turned soft.

“How have you been Minji? I’ve heard, actually, we’ve all heard about this husband of yours and let me tell you, we all want to give him a good beating. It’s really amazing how you’re still holding on. You must really love him my dear” he said gently while patting my head.

I felt my eyes burn from his words but I refused to let them out. They all knew…. A sense of embarrassment and shame washed over me but I ignored it.

“You know you’ve got a lot of explaining to do at the academy reunion young lady?”

My eyes widen and I broke into a huge smile before hugging him.

“Really? It isn’t a rumour?!” I exclaimed with happiness. We definitely needed a reunion.

“It’s still in the making you know but I’m positive. Remember to look out for the information when it’s sent to you via text. I have to leave now Minji-ah but I hope to see you soon and please make sure that all your unnies and oppas are getting some amount of exercise…especially Bom” he reprimanded me.

I laughed at the mention of Bom unnie but nodded my head vigorously and grinned.

He laughed and gave me a hug before telling me to keep this little information a secret between us. I happily agreed and watched as he turned to leave. 

As I decided to head back into the restaurant, a loud grunt followed by a series of sobs caught my attention and I turned towards the direction of the sounds to see a man on the ground and a girl holding back a guy…a guy who happened to be Mr Lee Taemin. I watched as he struggled from the grips of the female who yelled his name, his eyes glaring directly into the eyes of the man who lay with his elbows propped returning the fierce gaze with the same amount of hatred.

“What do you want punk?”

“What the were you doing to her?”

“Why does it concern you?”

“Why can’t it?”


“Dude. Mind your own ing business. She’s just a  anyways.”

This seemed to anger him as he took long but quick steps towards the man and pulled him close to his face by grabbing his collar.

“You have no ing right to call her a . Not now, not ever” he stated with anger.

The guy let out a laugh as he ripped Taemin’s arm from his collar.

“And you have no right to barge into my business. I do what I want and I will call her what I want. Just off dude”

“I can’t and I won’t. Not when you’re like this to her”

“Really. Who the is she to you? It’s not like she’s girlfriend or better yet your wife, why the hell do you care so much?”
questioned the man.

“She is my girlfriend so it is my business you er. Get the out of my sight and don’t you ever approach her again. If you don’t do as I say, I’ll make sure you’re gonna pay” Taemin whispered low and dangerously.

I felt my heart stop and tense at him calling her his girlfriend. I laughed silently to myself as I clenched my fists…I should’ve known that nothing with him would change.

The man seemed to have an epiphany of some sort and scrambled up, hurrying down the street away from Taemin and this unknown girl. My eyes glued onto his frame, watching his every action as he embraced the still sobbing girl, whispering sweet words into her hair in attempts to calm her. I stared on despite how my heart clenched. I looked on despite the burning of my eyes. I watched.

My eyes were torn away from the pair as I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to meet the eyes of Amber as she looked at me with a face filled with worry and concern. I broke into a small smile and closed my eyes, letting that one single tear roll down before I grinned at her and gestured for her to go back inside. Amber looked at me sceptically and asked me if I was alright but all I did was give her a small nod and headed back inside, failing to see that Taemin had turned to look our direction, meeting eyes with Amber who scowled at him before following behind me.




Taemin continued comforting the crying woman and helped her into his car after the contact he made with Amber, failing to notice the person in front of his noona. He knew she had seen and that look of anger and disappointment etched on her features bothered him. He had never seen such a facial expression from her – a carefree and outgoing noona who rarely reprimanded him for his actions. He felt as if he had disappointed her but then again, she hadn’t known why he was embracing that girl or who she was to him. She was and still is a person he cherished, a person who allowed him to break away and escape – his friend with benefit during his torn out relationship with his girlfriend and marriage with his wife, Kwon So-hyun 

He turned to the woman sitting beside him with dried tears staining her pale face, her nose red and her breathing heavy from the blockage of oxygen. They drove in silence as he brought them to her apartment and as the car halted to a stop, he turned to her with a look of concern and worry. She smiled softly at his care and thanked him for helping her earlier, telling him that the man before was someone who had been set up for her by her friends. He slightly frowned at the story but nodded in confirmation that he had heard and understood. She spoke as she studied his features; he was as handsome as he had always been. She felt her heartbeat increase just by looking at him; she had always liked him more than she should have especially when it was agreed that they were only friends with benefits with no feelings – no strings attached. That had been the foundation of the relationship yet she had failed to keep that and her heart ached every time he told her of his pain – to know that the man you loved was so close to you physically yet you knew his heart belonged to someone else.

It hurt and though she knew it was wrong, she had thought of various ways to maybe capture his heart but she didn’t have the will to do so, especially when she knew he was so in love and was married. She didn’t want to be a part of this love struggle and she didn’t because in the end, it was she who ended their relationship. That was years ago and she believed she had moved on from him but seeing him here again, made her heart ache and go crazy. For once, she just wanted someone to hold her and to have someone she could rely on but she knew he was not the person for the position because Taemin only cured her physically with pleasure. He wasn’t able to offer the emotional comfort she long sought for. She shook her head slightly at her thoughts of being with him – it was a pigment of her imagination stemmed from her desperation for emotional and physical comfort. She thanked him once more before proceeding to leave the car. He only watched on with silence, making sure she had stepped foot into the gates of her apartment complex before departing from the place.




Dinner for Minji and her unnies and oppas went smoothly but not as smooth as they had all hoped. Minji’s aura when she returned was tense and forced – they all knew and also knew that she was trying to play off whatever that was bothering her greatly. They played along because they knew she for once, just wanted a peaceful and happy dinner with the ones she loved. The dinner ended with a rather happy atmosphere with the conversations and laughter they shared. They all bid farewell to each other before going their separate ways with Minji driving both her and Yooguen back to their home. He sat in silence and just watched as his aunt Minji drove them back – he could tell she was a lot better than she was when she re-entered the restaurant. He watched her silently with concern before sighing and shaking his head. All these events occurring around him only told him one thing – adults were confusing and complicated.

This point was again proven when Yooguen barely saw his aunt and uncle together for the next few days, actually, for the rest of his stay. They barely spoke and they barely interacted unlike what he had come accustomed to thanks to his parents. It was odd and weird….why weren’t the couple hugging, kissing and whispering sweet words to each other? They instead avoided eye contact and the mere presence of the other seemed to disgust them. He just didn’t understand and maybe not understanding was better than understanding. Well that was what he was told by his mother as he recounted to his parents in the car back home of his weird discovery.




With Yooguen back in his parents’ arms, Minji was finally able to let go and let loose. Something she desperately needed to do and that’s exactly what she did. The first day that Yooguen left saw her spending the entire night away from home and this continued for two more days. All she did on those three days was head to work in the day and club at night with her close friends. Taemin actually realised her disappearance and thought little about it before he grew agitated with her lack of presence at home. He also hated the fact that she avoided him as much as she could at the office – he just simply hated that feeling. He hated it yet he could do little about it. And when an offer was made by his friends to visit the club at night, he was more than willing to go. He needed to relax and get his mind off of her – funny how without her presence, he was going crazy. It was also no surprise that when he had spotted her on the dance with guys surrounding her that he actually went crazy. He stormed away from his group of friends and barged into the circle, wrapping his hand tightly around her wrist and pulling her away from the men and away from the club. She struggled and protested strongly but her complaints fell on deaf ears with the loud booming music. As they reached the outside of the club, they halted and Taemin spun around to glare at her. She glared straight back with the same amount of hatred before she her heel to head back inside, only to be stopped by a hand on her wrist again, dragging her towards a car. She groaned and suddenly felt tired….just so tired….so she let him drag her and buckle her up in his car, not at all caring or blushing at their close proximity.

Her eyes slowly drooped with the rumbling of the engine as they travelled on the road, heading towards home. With her eyes closed, she appeared to fail to notice the halt of the car and his arms wrapped around her shoulders and hooked under her legs, carrying her bridal style into their house. He walked slowly up the stairs with her because he didn’t want to stir her awake and maybe because she was just a little too heavy for him but he still managed in the end. He brought them to the room they supposedly shared and laid her down gently. He sighed and stared at her peaceful expression, she was sure a heavy sleeper.

He smiled and sat down on the end of the bed, her pale skinned face and brushing strands of her black hair that fell onto her face. He felt the increase of his heartbeat and maybe it was because of the small but strong amount of alcohol he had had at the club earlier because he opened up. He spoke to her sleeping form, telling her of his troubles, his pain, his fear and his love. His voice slowly became hoarse as the tears he rarely let fall, fell. He let them run down his face and drip onto his clothing.

“I love you Minji-ah. I don’t know when and I don’t know how but I’m so scared, so scared to love again, to open and to accept someone. I don’t want to hurt you but I know I already have. If I asked you right now to let us start anew, would you give me that chance? I know I’m not perfect and I will struggle within the beginning but I would really want a new chance…will you give it to me?” He spoke and his heart filled with hope, only to realise that Minji was sleeping and he was confessing to the peaceful and resting state of his wife.

He sighed and frowned.

“You look so peaceful Minji-ah. You’re sleeping through my confession so peacefully but I guess dreamland is the only place where you can find peace right? I don’t want you to see me like this actually – weak, love sick and in tears. But I don’t think I’d ever have the courage to say this all over again to you Minji-ah…this’ll be a silent secret between me and your sleeping form. I love you Minji-ah” He spoke again before leaning in to kiss his wife on her soft and plump lips he loved.

His closed eyes at the contact of their lips didn’t allow him to see that her eyes had opened and she was now watched him silently. When he pulled away however, his open eyes met hers and his mouth opened in shock. Her hand moved towards his face as she softly brushed away his tears. He leaned into her palm as it held his face. She smiled at him before craning her neck up towards him, allowing their lips to touch before she said something which pleased him greatly.

“I love you too Taemin”

He smiled widely and he physically relaxed. He leaned in for another kiss and this one was more passionate and fiery. It was filled with his love and care for her. And as they parted, their eyes communicated in silence. He slowly hovered over her body as she laid her back completely on the bed, her head resting on the pillow. He pecked her lips and pulled to stare into her eyes again, asking for confirmation and all he saw in her eyes were willingness, trust and love. She trusted him, she wanted him and most importantly, she loved him. He smiled widely before moving to kiss her ear, whispering a soft thank you along with the words I love you. He then slowly proceeded to kiss down her neck and shoulders. He bit playfully onto her shoulder and looked at her with twinkling eyes. He took things slowly with the way he treated her, he wanted their first time together physically to be pleasurable and memorable. His slow and teasing ways drove her crazy and mad before she finally questioned him for his actions, telling him that if didn’t want to do this then he should’ve said so. She was frustrated and he found it amusing. He laughed before telling her of his reason, only to have a surprise thrown at him.

“We’ve done it before Taemin” she stated simply as she stared at him.

Confusion filled his features as he replied “No we haven’t. I’m sure I would’ve known”

“You were drunk when we did it. Dead out drunk – you probably thought I was someone else or something. It happened on the day you found out about the Bae’s contract”
she replied and she watched as his expression changed from confusion to shock to disbelief and finally regret.

“It was you?” he questioned simply and she nodded in reply. He had thought it was Jin Ri despite his gut feelings and the various aspects telling him it was his wife.

He felt ashamed and looked down, away from her eyes. She saw his change in attitude and looked on with slight worry, her palm once again held the side of his face, telling him that she was here for him and that she was willing to listen. And so he told her, told her how he thought she was his ex-girlfriend and apologised for doing so. She smiled softly in return and told him not to worry.

They stayed in silence for a while as he slowly caressed her cheeks.

“It must’ve really hurt” he whispered as he gazed at her cheek, the cheek which we had slapped.

She seemed to understand what he was saying and only offered a soft smile because in reality, it did hurt and shesure as hell wasn’t going to lie about that.  He sighed guiltily and leaned down to plant soft kisses all over that cheek that was once bruised because of him. She smiled at his kisses but as it got sloppy, she started to protest. He chuckled at her protest before continuing with his actions. He continued on and stopped within a few minutes for one question.

“Was that day your first?” he asked with playful eyes filled with hope. She blushed at his question before leaning up to peck his lips. He grinned widely at her answer and proceeded with his actions which further frustrated her because he believed that despite this not being the first time they felt connected, it would be the first time they did with them both being conscious.

That night, they marked each other and that moment, they felt connected and loved.


For the first time within their marriage, within their hearts, they shared and expressed the same love they had for each other.


Author's Note
Dear subscribers, I deeply apologise for the slow update and I assure you that I have not forgotten about this story. But I also hope you understand that as I am in the last year of high school, my studies have been taken quite a lot of my time and well I've been very stress. Anyways, I hope you all enjoy the update....it's slowly getting heated ;)
HAPPY NEW YEAR! HAVE A FUN AND SAFE HOLIDAY!