First Part-Time Job

YOLO

Youngjae and JB were currently working part-time at a grocery store and they had told me that it was fun although it was laborous. They said teens usually had part-time jobs so I decided to try it out for myself.

"Appa~ Omma~ I want to do something crazy and normal," I said.

The both of them laughed at my sentence and placed their newspapers down so that they could focus their attention on me.

"I want to apply for a part-time job... PLEASE! PRETTY PLEASE?!" I pleaded, well, more of begged.

They looked at me quizzically and exchanged glances at one another before looking at me again.

"What kind of job are you looking for?" Appa asked.

"Well, there's an opening as a guitarist for a cafe near my school. It would be safe for me since it doesn't require a lot of walking back and forth school and I'll be sitting down while performing as well," I said, trying to state all the pros that I could come up with.

Appa and Omma exchanged one more glance and sighed.

"Okay... But the moment you start feeling pain, you call us!" Omma said firmly.

I suppressed my urge to run around the mansion so I wriggled my toes and fingers as fast as I could making my parents laugh.

"THANK YOU, THANK YOU SO MUCH!" I squealed before hugging them both tightly.

TWO DAYS LATER... AFTER SCHOOL...

I applied for it and managed to get it which I was uber hyped up about although sadly, I couldn't express it out. JB and Youngjae accompanied me to the cafe where I would be working at. The grocery store they were working at was just opposite the cafe which was nice and the three of us ended at the same time which was convenient.

"Oh... The manager is calling me. Me and Youngjae have to go now. Good luck, Sowon!" JB said hurriedly before him and Youngjae disappeared into the grocery store.

I took a deep breath and went inside the cafe. Behind the cashier stood a tall, lean guy that had just finished attending to a customer. He looked up at me and smiled.

 

"You're the guitarist, right?" he asked politely.

I came forward and we shook hands.

"Hello, I'm Kang Sowon. At your service~" I greeted, trying to sound funny which worked since he laughed.

"Hi, I'm Jinyoung but please, call me Jr," he said.

He looked at my school badge and his eyes widened.

"Oh! I go to that school too! What grade are you in?" he asked.

"12," I answered.

"Really?! Oh... I've never seen you before though..." he said.

"Ah... I just joined three days ago. Hopefully we see one another in school next time," I said and he smiled and nodded.

"Oh, we have another co-worker but he'll be coming in later. He's a foreigner but he speaks korean fluently because he actually lived here since he was 10," Jr informed.

'Ah... Okay, well, I guess I'll start setting up now," I said.

"Oh yeah, by the way, you get a 10 minute break every 30 minutes of playing. If you can play the piano, you can play that too if you're tired of playing the guitar," he said and I nodded.

3 HOURS LATER...

It was 6 o'clock and in one hour, it would mark the end of my first work day which was exciting. Then... the most unexpected thing happened... Kim Yugyeom came in. He wasn't alone though, he came in with a blonde haired guy.

 

"Oh! Bambam ah! Working the night shift again?!" Jr yelled from the kitchen.

"Yes! I have to work extra hard nowadays!" Bambam whined.

Yugyeom took a seat at a corner and slept again. Jr rushed out and gave Bambam a hug.

"Bambam, meet Sowon, our new guitarist, well, she's pretty much just an instrument person because in the past few hours, she played the violin, piano, fliute and guitar. She's our age by the way," Jr said.

"Wow! Very nice, Sowon! Nice to meet you!" Bambam said adorably.

I looked at him... more specifically his cheeks that I just wanted to poke so badly for some weird reason. Bambam and I talked for a bit during my 10 minute break and long story made short, he's from Thailand. His family and him moved to South Korea because his mother needs special medical treatment that couldn't be found in Thailand. His father works as a deliveryman and earned little money so Bambam stopped studying at the age of 12 to work. Bambam managed to pick up Korean while working.

"So you can't go back in school?" I asked sadly and he sighed in response.

"How about I teach you?" I asked.

His eyes lit up right away and he held my hands.

"Really?! I wouldn't want to be a burden!" he said.

"No, no... It wouldn't be. You wouldn't have to pay me but as payment, could you teach me how to speak Thai?" I asked.

"Deal! Thank you so, so much!" Bambam said merrily, making me smile.

"I have to go perform now! See you!" I said as I rushed back up on stage.

Bambam went ahead and sat beside Yugyeom who just woke up.

 

YUGYEOM'S POV

"Haish... She's so nicet, seriously..." Bambam sighed.

"Who is?" I asked, my voice cracking in the middle.

"That girl on stage!" Bambam said in hushed tone.

I looked up at the stage and saw a familiar girl.

"Wait... I met her before..." I said.

She started playing the guitar, a melody that made my heart feel warm.

"What's her name again? Um... Kang Sowon?" I asked.

"Yup! Kang Sowon," Bambam answered.

I continued staring at her as if she was all I could see. It was weird.

"Kang Sowon..." I thought to myself.