Ddukbokki Men

YOLO

I came down the stairs slowly. The nurses had wanted me to use a wheelchair but to be honest, I prefered walking... it made me feel normal.

"Aigoo~ Miss! Are you okay?" a nurse asked as she headed towards me.

I smiled weakly and placed my hand on her shoulder to catch my breath.

"Yup... I'm fine," I said as I headed towards the other patients.

"Sowon noona!" Minwoo, a small boy I had befriended, greeted.

He leapt up and I caught him as he wrapped his small thin legs around my waist. I hugged him a little before placing him back down on the floor.

"Happy Birthday!" he exclaimed with a bright smile.

Minwoo was dying of cancer. The doctors gave him 6 more months to a year.

"Thanks Minwoo..." I said as I pinched his cheeks a little... reminding me of Bambam... which then reminded me of everyone else.

"I heard the nurses ordered TONS of ddukbokki for everyone for your birthday party!" he chirped.

"Yah! You weren't supposed to tell!" Nurse Lin nearby scolded and Minwoo left running.

I laughed a little as the nurse approached me.

"You said you were craving ddukbokki for the last 3 months... The first day you came in, I remembered you asked for ddukbokki," she recalled.

"Yeah... I used to eat at this ddukbokki store with my friends. I think if I eat that again, it'll feel like... they're close to me again," I explained.

Nurse Lin showed me a sad smile and patted my shoulder a few times.

"Sometimes the best gifts in life may last for a second, but they're etched in our memories forever," she said and I smiled and nodded in reply.

 

YUGYEOM'S POV

"You needed help?" I asked as I saw Jackson loading cartons into a huge lorry.

"Yeah, I got a big order for some private hospital at the countryside..." he said as he placed another big box into the lorry.

"Well, the patients must really like ddukbokki," I said and Jackson laughed in reply.

"Hey!!! How about we just take this lorry and eat them all?!"

I turned around and saw the rest of the boys approaching us. We all greeted one another.

"Wait up, don't JB, JR and Youngjae have college?" I asked.

The three of them made eye contact and replied my question with goofy smiles.

"Okay then, that's all the ddukbokki boxes! Once we get there, we need to serve them. I brought along more rice cakes and broth just in case there isn't enough," Jackson announced.

Jackson drove the van while the rest of us were at the back, making sure the boxes would arrive safely to the hospital.

 

I stared at the telephone for what seemed like hours. I picked up the courage and dialed my mother's phone number. As my heart started thumping faster, I held the phone to my ear.

"Hello, Mrs Kang here," my mother said.

Her familiar voice made my eyes sting with tears and my lips started to trembke.

"Anyone there? Who is this?" she asked.

"Omma..." I stuttered.

I heard her gasp and my tears started to fall.

"So... Sowon?" she asked.

"Yeah..." I said as I started choking back tears.

The two of us started crying over the phone.

"Sowon... My darling, where are you? Come home please..." she begged.

I closed my eyes and started crying more tears. I held the phone back to my ear and took a deep breath.

"I want to, Omma yah... but I can't. I don't want you and Appa to see me like this..." I said.

I continued hearing her cry and just that sound made my heart ache.

"Omma... I don't have a lot of time left in this world and... I... I... um... I just want to thank you for giving birth to me... for tucking me in bed, for kissing me everyday no matter how busy you were, for... loving me for every second I lived, thank you. Omma... I promise that whenever you're eating at the table, you won't be alone. I'll be there in front of you... eating with you, laughing with you about stupid things like flying with unicorns..." I said with a laugh and I heard her laugh.

"Omma... I love you. Please tell Appa I love him too," I said, for the what could be the last time.

I heard her cry some more.

"I love you, my darling... I will..." she said and with a heavy heart, I placed the phone back to its place.

I leaned my hands on the telephone booth and looked down as I started to cry inconsolably.

 

YUGYEOM'S POV

The hospital was really different from those in Seoul. For once, it actually had colour.

"Sowon would've really liked this..." I said out loud by accident.

The boys looked at me worriedly.

"I'm fine..." I said as I carried a carton of broth.

We all carried the boxes and cartons in into the frontyard of the hospital when a nurse came out smiling.

"Hello! You must be the ddukbokki men," she exclaimed.

We all laughed at the term but decided not to pick a fight since she was nice.

"I'm Nurse Lin. We'll help you carry the rest. Please follow me," she said.

 

She led us into the hospital and everything looked so homey.

"This defintitely isn't like a normal hospital..." I said.

Nurse Lin turned to look at me.

"You know, a patient who just came 3 months ago, said the exact same thing the moment she came in," she said.

My eyes widened.

"3 months?" I asked and she nodded.

"May I ask... May I ask what her name is?" I asked.

"I'm sorry... but we're not supposed to reveal private information," she said.

"Kang Sowon?" I said and she froze.

She turned to look at me and she stared at my face.

"Are you... Kim Yugyeom?" she asked.

Right then and there, I knew she was there.

"Where is she?" I asked.

"Hey, come on... Move it up!" JB yelled from behind me.

I turned around and put the box down.

"Sowon's here!" I announced and everyone dropped the objects on the floor.