I Like Your Smile

YOLO

Jackson's boss had allowed us to use the shop for our project after closing time since Jackson had to lock up anyway. I was sitting beside Jackson while Yugyeom was in front of me, sitting beside Youngjae. Basically, the procedure was to open our emails and see what topic we had to present on. We decided to use my email since I had my laptop with me. It was 8pm and that meant the email had already been sent. I logged in and opened the email.

 

Group 5: Park Jisung, Wang Jackson, Choi Youngjae, Kim Yugyeom

Topic: Sacrificial Love

Content: English books based on sacrificial love, songs of any language on sacrificial love, real life situations about sacrificial love

 

Jackson and Youngjae started whining, a clear indication that they hated the topic while Yugyeom seemed neutral about it.

"You guys hate it?" I asked.

"We just don't understand it, that's all. Ugh, we're doomed," Youngjae said.

I looked at Yugyeom and he looked back at me. We both knew that the topic was really close to him and that he would be able to explain well about sacrificial love but we both knew he wasn't going to say anything. So I spoke up.

"What do you two not understand?" I asked.

"Sacrificing yourself for someone else. I mean, sure its heroic but can people actually do that?" Jackson asked.

"Sure. Why not?" I asked.

The three guys looked at me in confusion... Yugyeom's gaze looked more like wonder rather than confusion though.

"I used to have a cousin... we were really, really close..." I said.

"One day, after playing out all day in the rain, she fell sick... really sick. She had a really high fever and she kept on vomiting. She was at my house and my parents weren't home. We weren't supposed to play at the backyard but we did anyway and she paid the price. The next day, she passed away and I was there beside her while she was lying down on her bed. Her mother... she was begging my father to do something to save her eventhough it was already too late. She even said that she would trade her own life for my cousin's," I said, and it was true, it did happen.

The three of them looked at me and I could tell that even the heartless Yugyeom was a bit sad.

"Basically, when you love someone so much that you can't even imagine a life without them, you're willing to do anything and everything for them. When you put someone else's life before yours because you can't bear to see them get hurt, that's sacrificial love," I explained.

"Yah, Jackson Wang, are those tears in your eyes?" Youngjae asked.

I heard a sniffle come from Jackson and we all started laughing, even Yugyeom chuckled.

"No!" Jackson fought back childishly.

LATER ON...

Jackson and Youngjae boarded their bus while Yugyeom and I remained at the bus stop waiting for our buses. No one else was in sight since it was quite late at night and most of the shops around us were already closed.

"Was that true? That story you told us," Yugyeom asked suddenly.

I turned my head to the side and looked at him and he did the same.

"Yeah... Yeah, it is," I said.

"How old were you when that happened?" he asked.

"... 7," I said.

"That kind of thing happened to you when you were only 7... but you seem fine now. How?" he asked.

"I guess I just... continued living. Always looking forward to tomorrow, looking forward to new beginnings," I answered.

Yugyeom continued staring at me, like I was some math problem that he couldn't solve, a code he couldn't crack.

"Why... are you looking at me like that?" I asked, my heart beating slightly faster yet at a safe pace.

"You're different," he replied.

"Haha... Yeah, I hear that a lot," I said.

Just then,my bus arrived. I smiled and waved at him.

"See you on Monday, enjoy your weekend!" I said as I took a step into the bus.

"Sowon, wait!" Yugyeom said suddenly.

I turned to face him.

"Smile more... I like your smile..." he said.

I didn't know why he said that at such a random time but I just smiled and nodded before going into the bus and taking a seat.

 

YUGYEOM'S POV

Her bus went off... and I felt like punching myself and afterwards slamming myself against a brick wall or something.

"What the heck was, "I like your smile"?!?! UGH!" I yelled frustratedly.