Finale: The Last Goodbye

YOLO

YUGYEOM'S POV

I continued staring at her in disbelief. She was practically asking me for permission to kill herself.

"What?" I asked.

"I want to ride a rollercoaster," she repeated.

"Sowon you know what that would do to you," I said.

"Yugyeom... I'm dying. I'm going to die soon and what's worse is that I can feel it coming. I don't want to die feeling weak and sad at the hospital. If I'm going to die, I want to die feeling like I've lived with no regrets. I want to ride a rollercoaster... but I want you beside me..." she said.

 

LATER ON...

Yugyeom and I went down to the indoor basketball court to meet with the boys. Their howls and screams could be heard just from the outside and I was glad to hear them laugh fso happily for the last time.

"Hey guys!!!" Bambam exclaimed when he saw us coming towards them.

"Sowon, why do you have tears in your eyes?" Youngjae asked when I was close enough.

Without answering him, I wrapped my arms around him and leaned my forehead on his chest, feeling his warmth. He hugged me back and after a few moments, we let each other go. I placed my hand on his cheek and I stared into his eyes. He figured it out somehow that I was saying goodbye and he hugged me again.

"It was an honour... to be your friend, Kang Sowon..." he whispered into my ear.

I smiled and nodded.

"Thanks for being my friend, Choi Youngjae... I'll never forget you," I said before letting him go.

Then I went towards JB and he already knew as well. He came towards me and gave me one last hug. He swayed me side to side as I felt his tears soaking thorugh my shirt.

"You don't have to worry about us when you're in heaven. We'll be fine, okay?" he said comfortingly.

I cried into his shirt and nodded.

"Okay... Take care of yourself..." I said before letting him go and he nodded, wiping away his tears.

Jackson looked down as I slowly approached him. I stood in front of him and smiled.

"I'm not ready..." he said with a sniffle.

"Neither am I... But at least we got to say goodbye if we do this, right?" I said.

He nodded and pulled me in for a hug.

"Did you know you were my first crush?" he asked and the two fo us laughed.

"I'm sorry..." I said and he shook his head.

"Nah... Yugyeom made you happier and that made me happy too," he said.

I bit my lip as I felt them start to tremble.

"Stay cheeky, Jackson Wang," I said as we let one another go.

He gave me a salute and flashed me his cheeky smile. I turned around and saw JR already standing behind me, his arms wide open. I smiled and went into his arms.

"You'll be fine right?" I asked and he nodded.

"I'm going to miss you being around here," he said with a sniffle.

"I'm going to miss being around you guys too... but thank you for protecting me JR. You're like a brother to me," I said.

"And you'll always be my sister," he said as we let one another go.

"Its my turn?" I heard Bambam ask from behind JR.

I smiled and walked towards him. Then he took a step away which took me aback.

"You can't..." he said.

"Bambam ah... Its time," I said.

"You're the only one that I can relate to the most in this world. I felt so alone before you came around and I'm scared of feeling alone again..." he said as his eyes became teary.

I walked towards him slowly and pinched his chubby cheeks and smiled.

"I'm going to tell you... something similar to what I told my mother. Everytime you wake up and hear the birds chirp a tune, that's me. Everytime your little brothers and sisters watch television, I'll be there too, laughing along. Then, when you're hungry... and you're cooking kimchi fried rice in your kitchen, I'll be there too. Bambam, you're never going to feel alone again. I promise you... I promise you that I'd always be there for you," I said as a tear escaped my left eye.

With a sniffle, Bambam ran towards me and hugged me tightly. I clenched onto the fabric of his shirt as more tears flowed.

"You promised..." he said as he let go.

I smiled at him and nodded.

Mark oppa waited under the hoop as I approached him. We hugged one another.

"I was scared of Gyeom getting heartbroken by being close to you... and he did... but you gave him the one thing every person in this world wants, unconditional love and I can't thank you enough for making my brother the most happiest person he could ever be. I'll make sure he's okay," Mark oppa whispered.

I nodded and let go.

"Could you... take care of my dad too? Since you're working with him... please make sure he'll be okay..." I requested and he nodded.

Then I walked to where Yugyeom was and held his hand.

"Thank you... for being in my life..." I said to everyone.

Everyone nodded and with that, Yugyeom and I left.

 

LATER ON...

YUGYEOM'S POV

"Son, the carnival is almost closing. You and your girl may only be able to ride just one ride," the sales ticket man said.

I looked at Sowon who was looking past the gates and into the carnival tents.

"That's enough..." I said and he gave me two tickets.

I wrapped the ticket around our wrists and the both of us went in. It was around 10 o'clock and the whole carnival was mostly empty yet the lights were still on.

"That one..." she said as she pointed at the rollercoaster.

She headed towards it but I held her hand, preventing her from going.

She looked back at me, a look of confusion on her face.

"I won't be weak anymore..." I said, choking back tears.

"I promise I wouldn't be weak in fornt of you anymore so please stay..." I pleaded.

I saw tears forming in her eyes and she walked towards me. I leaned my forehead on hers and the two of us closed our eyes, cherishing the moment.

"There was this book I was reading at the hospital... Its called the Fault In Our Stars... Can I quote what one of the characters said to her loved one?" she asked and I nodded.

"You gave me a forever within the numbered days... and I'm grateful for our little infinity..." she said.

I felt tears flowing down my cheeks and I knew this was definitely our last goodbye.

"Gyeom... I might be dead later... but our love is forever..." she said as we opened our eyes and she gazed into mine.

 

I was in the seat and my heart was already beating fast.

"Sowon?" Yugyeom called out from beside me.

I turned to look at him, my vision starting to get blurry slightly.

"Yeah?" I asked weakly.

"I love you..." he said.

A tear escaped my eye and I showed him a bright smile.

"I love you... and thank you... for loving me Kim Yugyeom," I said.

"What's not to love about Kang Sowon?" he said, making me smile wider.

Then I felt the shuttle moving forward slowly and I held his hand.

"Bye..." I heard him whisper just as I felt my heartrate reaching its peak.

"Bye..." I whispered then... I felt peace.

 

 

YUGYEOM'S POV

It was a sunny day... actually it was perfect... but for those who loved Kang Sowon, it wasn't a perfect day... it was the worst. Mr Kang was delivering his speech in church and soon it was my turn.

"Gyeom, you don't have to if you don't want to... Sowon would understand," JB said from beside me.

I laughed a little.

"Nah... Sowon would be pissed and scold me if she could," I said with a smile, imagining her doing so... and then I realised, that could all just be mmy imagination because... she was gone.

"Mr Kim Yugyeom?" the pastor called out and everyone's eyes were on me.

I cleared my throat and got up slowly. I went up the stage and as I was doing so, I passed by Sowon's portrait. She looked so happy and innocent and just grateful for living.

"I'm Yugyeom... Kang Sowon's first... and last love," I announced into the microphone.

I felt the tears coming and I stopped for awhile to control myself before continuing on.

"For normal people like you and me, finishing homework was a struggle... so is getting to work on time and so is going to school. For Kang Sowon, those kind of things kept her feeling alive. She loved every second she was allowed to be normal which was why we all thought she was weird. Then her friends and I... We... um... we found out that she was dying and so, we finally understood her. The moment I found out, not for a second did I think about leaving her. I had this desire to stay by her side and then that was when I realised that I couldn't ever love anyone... as much as I loved her. With loving her came sacrifices... and pain... but there was also happiness... and love and friendship. Even if God gave me a chance to turn back time to suffer less, I wouldn't. I have ABSOLUTELY no regrets meeting Kang Sowon, no matter the consequences. She gave me a thousand reasons to love life... and for that, she's the definition of my YOLO," I said.

 

LATER ON...

The boys and I were just talking when someone patted me on the back. I turned around and it was Nurse Lin.

"Oh! Nurse Lin!" I greeted with a bow.

She smiled at me gently and bowed slightly.

"I have something for you... Its from Sowon," she said.

 

FLASHBACK

Nurse Lin allowed us to leave the hospital for the day. I watched the boys go into the lorry but I stayed behind for a while. I handed a letter to Nurse Lin.

"What's this?" she asked.

"I wrote it last night when he was sleeping. Could you pass it to Yugyeom... during my funeral?" I asked.

She looked like she was about to reject so I held her hand and looked into her eyes.

"Its important..." I said.

She sighed and nodded.

 

 

YUGYEOM'S POV

"A letter?" I asked and she nodded.

"She told me to pass it to you during her funeral," she said and with that, she left.

"That from Sowon?" Jackson asked and I turned around and nodded.

"Well, you better go read it right?" JR said and I smiled.

I went to the passenger seat of the ddukbokki lorry and opened the letter.

 

Kim Yugyeom,

Your future plans seem legit, I'm proud of you. Hm... I feel like I have a thousand and one things to tell you but I can't think of any now. Where do I start?

I remembered the first time we met, I was absoulutely terrified by you HAHAHA! I thought you were trouble... and you were... but I knew there was something more. You hated every second of your life and honestly... so did I. You made me realise that I didn't really love my life. I hated it because no matter what I did, the thought of dying was always in my mind. However, somehow when I'm with you, when you make me laugh and smile, I forget about dying and I feel like the most alive person on Earth. One of the things I wasn't supposed to do was fall in love but whatever! I did and falling in love with you is the best thing I've ever done in 19 years! 

Gyeom ah... no matter what, remember this... For me, being able to live for 19 years is a gift... but being with you for a year is a blessing. You're my first and last love and I have no regrets what so ever... and I love you... I love you... and I love you, Kim Yugyeom. You're my YOLO. I hope you live a long, fulfulling and healthy life, you deserve it.

KIM YUGYEOM DAEBAK! SARANGHAEYO!!!

Love,

Kang Sowon

 

One of my tears dripped onto the piece of paper and I smiled to myself, recalling all the happy memories I had. I got out of the lorry and looked towards the sky. I spread my arms out wide and took a deep breath in.

"SARANGHAEYO, KANG SOWON!!!!" I shouted as loud as I could with a smile so she could hear it from whereever she was.

 

And I did...

 

THE END... :)

 

[This is probably the most personal story I ever wrote and it was my utmost pleasure to be able to write it for all of you. :)]