Unexplainable Attraction

YOLO

Youngjae and I were waiting for Jackson to finish working at the ddukbokki shop that he was working at so that we could start our group project. So far, there had been no sign of Yugyeom.

"Ugh... That troublemaker seriously is going to get us an F," Youngjae sighed.

"AN F?!" I yelled.

I had heard of these "F" grades before. I never had an F and I was NOT going to have my first one for my first and most probably last group project.

"Well, if he continues to not show up. We have to report that to the principal and we'd get less marks since we didn't fulfill the "Teamwork" part of the marking criteria," Youngjae explained.

"You have any idea where he lives?" I asked, determined not to EVER get an F grade.

Youngjae raised an eyebrow at me.

"I do... but do you want to die?" he asked sarcastically.

"Why?" I asked.

"I heard that no one in our school has ever seen his house. I know of the address because a couple of students had sneaked into the teachers' office and took note of his address. They dared me to go there before but... I didn't have the guts. I searched on the internet and apparently its near a haunted forest where murderers would kill their victims at... God! Talking about this already makes me scared," he said as he started rubbing his arms to get rid of the goosebumps.

"I'm sure its not that bad~" I said calmly as I stood up.

Youngjae laughed.

"What?" I asked.

"I'm really glad you came to our school before we all graduate, Sowon. You're like a refreshing breeze," he said, smiling at me as he wrote down Yugyeom's address on a piece of napkin.

I smiled back at him, happy that I met him too... before I passed away.

"I'll be back with Kim Yugyeom in about an hour," I said as I took the napkin and went on my way.

His house was a bit far away from town. I was scared at first because I was so used to seeing tall, concrete buildings. I had no idea there were such natural sights in Seoul. I hopped off the bus and walked around 1 to 2 kilometres from the bus stop. I paused when I saw Yugyeom's house. It was small but beautiful with all the flowers and small shrubs surrounding it.

"Um... May I help you?"

 

I turned around to see a red-haired guy staring down at me with a confused expression on his face.

"Um... I'm looking for Kim Yugyeom," I said.

He showed me a slight smile, the type that would melt any girl's heart.

"Ah... My dongsaeng is inside, sleeping. You can wait in the living room while I wake him up," he said as he led me into the house.

 

 

YUGYEOM'S POV

"Gyeom ah~ Wake up," I heard Mark hyung said.

I opened my eyes and saw him staring down at me.

"There's a girl waiting for you in the living room... A pretty, nice one..." he said with a smile.

I looked out at the living room through the opened gap of the door and saw Sowon looking around the living room.

"Ugh..." I grunted.

"She was telling me about some group project thing... You should go," Mark hyung said as he slumped down onto his bed.

"You know that studying isn't my thing," I said lazily.

"Yugyeom ah, its about time you took care of yourself. Right now, Omma and me are working hard to pay for water, electricity, phone bills---" he said halfway when I interupted him.

"Okay, fine, I'm sorry that I'm such a mess. I'm sorry that Omma's real son is more worthless than her adopted one," I said as I stood up.

"Gyeom, that wasn't what I meant," Mark hyung sighed.

When Appa had passed away, it was me and Omma left. Omma rescued Mark hyung who was living on tbe streets and raised him like another child. As we grew up, Mark hyung felt obligated to make Omma happy so he did his best to make her proud like getting straight As and all that crap.

However, Mark and Omma had somehow made the decision to work their best for me. Mark hyung could have gone to Medical school... but because of me and our financial problems, he had to only graduate from high school and work a few part time jobs. What bothered me was that he didn't mind that at all because somehow he thought that he should live for me and Omma rather than living for himself. Now he's tired almost 24/7 because he had to work hard all day.

Besides, they couldn't do much for me anyway since I was bad in school. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get the grades that Mark hyung used to get so I stopped trying. I was good at dancing... great actually but Mark hyung and Omma don't see that as a good thing. In fact, they would rather have me stay in school and still do badly than go to a dance academy where I can do well in.

"I just want you to at least try... Can't you see me and Omma working hard so that you can have a better future?" Mark hyung said.

"That's all I see, Hyung! I never asked you and Omma to break your backs working for me! Can't the two of you just accept that I can't ever change and I'll keep on doing things the way I want?! Just make it easier on yourself and just live your own life and don't care about mine!" I yelled as I stormed out of the room.

The moment I did, Sowon was staring at me. I had forgotten that the door wasn't fully closed so she could hear the conversation.

"What do you want?" I asked rudely, trying to get her to leave.

"Group project. Remember?" she asked.

"Look... I am not---" I said halfway.

"Maybe you've given up on yourself... but I have not," she said suddenly which caught me by surprise.

 

I had no idea Kim Yugyeom was like this. He didn't really say it out loud to his hyung but I could tell his whole "leave me alone" attitude was a facade, a lie. I could tell from the look in his eyes that there was this self-hatred towards himself because he thinks he doesn't deserve all the love that he was receiving from his hyung and omma. He thought he was a failure and a disappointment to the people he cared about... a feeling that I was all too familiar with.

"Why?" he asked, staring right back into my eyes.

"Because... you're not the only one fighting your own battles," I replied.

Somehow, there was this unexplainable attraction between me and Kim Yugyeom... and it was something I was curious to know about.