Kim Yugyeom

YOLO

I sat on the benches that were outside the field. Every one of my classmates was having fun, running around and playing soccer. They got to play and have fun... I'd rather have that than have my face if they wanted it so much. I sighed sadly. I looked down at my water bottle and realised that it was empty so I headed back into the school hallway's water cooler to fill it up. I was walking down the hallway when I saw Kim Yugyeom drinking water from the water cooler.

"Oh no..." I thought to myself.

Part of me was saying, "Just go, its not like he's going to beat you up!", while the other part of me was saying, "Run, run, run, he's going to beat you up!". I just decided to continue on walking towards the water cooler since I thought even if he was going to beat me up and kill me, it'd just be whatever since I was going to die in a few more years anyway. I stood behind him, patiently waiting for my turn. He didn't seem to want to leave... then I heard the most unexpected sound. I heard him snoring. I tiptoed beside him and hunched down slightly to see his face. His back was hunched over and his eyes were closed. The water was just flowing down into the "drain" of the water cooler continuously as his body was leaned forward on the button. Then... I snorted... like how people would when they're trying to control their laughter and they makee the most retarded sound, yeah, that was how I sounded.

Kim Yugyeom woke up and the first thing that popped into my head was to run as fast as I could back out... but I didn't. I just continued stadning there... staring at him. His eyes opened slowly and he stared back at me sleepily. We both straightened our backs slowly at the same pace, not once breaking eye contact. His eyes seemed... distant and just different, like they held secrets.

"Who are you?" he asked, catching me off guard with his cold tone.

"Um... Kang Sowon..." I stuttered in fear.

He raised an eyebrow and took a step towards me while I took as step back. He smirked... and even that looked sinister.

"I sense that you're scared," he said.

I swallowed my saliva that was now collecting in my mouth from the fear. Just then, he backed away.

"Don't tell anyone that you saw me leave," he said suddenly but this time... a more bossy tone.

"Leave? But its still school hours," I said.

He laughed a little and shook his head.

"Wah... There are still innocent, timid people like you in this mad world..." he said before turning his back and walking off.

"Aren't you scared?" I asked.

"You know... YOLO..." he said simply as he went out the school.

"YOLO? What's YOLO?" I asked myself.

LATER ON DURING LUNCH TIME...

Youngjae was showing me all the food stalls and telling me which sold the best dishes.

"So! Which one are you going to buy from?" he asked me.

"Um... Do they sell spaghetti here?" I asked.

He gave me his dumbfounded look again and brought me to the left most stall.

"Ahjumma! Two bowls of ramyun please!!!" Youngjae exclaimmed excitedly.

"Ramyun?" I asked, not knowing what that was.

"YOU HAVE NEVER EATEN INSTANNT RAMYUN BEFORE?! WHAT DO YOU EAT?! AIR?!" he asked dramatically making me laugh.

"Well, I eat a lot of western dishes... and my parents say that instant food is unhealthy and we shouldn't eat it," I said.

Youngjae narrowed his eyes and looked questioningly at me.

"Are you human?" he whispered.

I punched his shoulder lightly making him laugh. The both of us got our food and sat down at an empty table. I sat beisde Youngjae when suddenly he started smiling brightly.

"YAH! I'M HERE, IM JAEBUM!!!" Youngjae shouted.

I looked at where he was looking and saw a tall guy with black hair whose frinch covered hiis forehead. It was interesting and actually unique that he had two small moles on his left eyelid.

 

He sat down in front of me and looked back and forth from Youngjae and me.

"Ah~ She's new here. Sowon this is Jaebum. Jaebum this is Sowon. Sowon, Jaebum is my same-age cousin... but we're like brothers really," Youngjae explained.

"Ahhh... Well, hi, Sowon. My name is Jaebum but I prefer people calling me by my nickname, JB," JB said, flashing his bright smile at me.

His smile and Youngjae's smile looked similar which wasn't a surprise since they were related.

"What school were you from?" JB asked as he folded his long sleeves to get ready to eat.

"I was home schooled actually. This is the first time I attended public school," I said.

Their eyes widened in shock.

"Ah... No wonder. I was shocked to see a high school student be kissed by her father outside the school gate," JB said.

Youngjae spurted some of the ramyun soup out when he heard that.

"Your father kissed you just outside school?! In front of everyone?!" Youngjae asked.

"Um... Yeah... on the cheek. Is that not normal?" I asked,

"NO!" Youngjae and JB answered.

"Oh... Okay, good to know. No wonder everyone was staring and laughing at me..." I said.

My sadness msut have been made too clear because JB and Youngjae started looking sad for me. I smiled, trying to show that I was fine.

"Hahaha! Its okay! You have the rest of the year to at least not be weird anymore," Youngjae said reassuringly making JB laugh.

"Hopefully... Hopefully I get to have another year..." I thought to myself.

Then I tasted the ramyun... and it was way better than anything I had ever eaten in my life. I slurped the ramyun down... rather aggressively. Well no wonder it was unhealthy... IT WAS DELICIOUS.

"Woah, woah, woah... Calm down..." JB said as he gave me a piece of tissue paper to wipe away some one of the soup that had splattered onto my cheeks.

"Ah! I want to ask you guys something... What's YOLO?" I asked.

"Ahhh... YOLO?" JB said.

"It means 'You Only Live Once'. Basically, people that believe in YOLO do stuff that normal people wouldn't do like... perhaps, quitting school to pursue a passion," JB explained.

"Ah... You Only Live Once..." I said softly as I started thinking hard about it.