She loves me not-1

She brings the boys out

At the engagement for Eunji's soon approaching wedding, she reveals to her future husband about her lover. How will he react?


He saw her for the first time, in a casual dinner party. He was Seventeen and she was fourteen. He instantly developed a liking toward her. She was different from the other girls in the crowd.

Soo Hyun in contrast to his parents, was quiet and shy. He was introspective, insightful and observant. His Parents, to his strange discomfort, earned a reputation of being Social butterflies. The couple loved partying as it complimented their humorous, agreeable and gleeful demeanors. Soo Hyun being the shy and introverted person he was, preferred to keep it low profile. Despite his efforts to avoid attention, his personality and looks only seemed to attract more of it. Enigmatic and intriguing, he’d appear as a challenge to the young girls of his age. They’d take it up to woo and win him over, but he was sure they were not his type. Giving a polite laugh and symbolizing a gentle dismissal, he’d slowly detach and flee from the spot.

This time, he was introduced to her for the second time. It was a reunion party. Soo Hyun and Eunji’s parents graduated from the same College. The batch of 76-79 had now transformed into clusters of newly aged couples, who flashed huge grins, while flaunting their kids. Soo Hyun and Eunji’s parents were no different. The two meekly tagged along by their sides. Soo Hyun was sure that she wouldn’t remember the first time they’d met, although it turned out she did.

While all the girls tried throwing themselves at him, Eunji was the only one as quiet, shy and embarrassed for him as he was. She flashed an empathetic smile and walked away. While his last memory of her was influenced by her personality, he was equally charmed and stunned by her looks this time. She’d grown into an attractive and and classy lady. Her black dress with silver beads, draped around her slender body and her long, dark brown hair, flowed generously down her shoulders. As much as was he was embarrassed, he couldn’t stop staring at her. She seemed polite and gave an uncomfortable smile, every time their eyes met. But soon after, she looked away. She was distracted and looked uninterested.

Soo Hyun could sense that beneath her graceful exterior was a sad person. She looked tired and bothered by something. Maybe she’s uncomfortable since all the guys are staring at her. I should stop looking at her! What’s wrong with me ?! This time, it was him who wanted to empathies with her. But who was he to her anyway ? No. I bet it’s something else. She wouldn’t meet eyes with him. She couldn’t care less about him or his presence. Soo Hyun looked at her, as if for the last time and then looked away. He drifted away from the two old couples as the party continued and later came to an end. He knew, he’d probably never see her again or get a chance to know her.

“ Soo Hyun !!! “ screamed Victoria.

Soo Hyun peeked out of his novel to see an unusually excited look on his Mother’s face. I know this look. Soo Hyun sighed and returned to the novel. “ Ma, I told you I don’t want to get married now . Why don’t you.. “

Victoria pulled the novel out of his hands “ I did not look for a bride for you this time ! “

Soo Hyun stared at her, perplexed

“ A Bride came looking for you ! “ Victoria gleamed.

Soo Hyun pulled the novel back from her hands “ Yes, it’s the same thing Ma. Tell her I’m not interested “

Victoria stared at him, while Soo Hyun shrugged innocently.

“ Listen to me son.. “ she began.

“ Not interested “ Soo Hyun cut her off again.

Hopelessly Victoria turned around “ It’s so sad you don’t like Eunji. I’ll break the news to her family. But only after I gather the strength to do that “ Victoria sighed.

Soo Hyun looked up in an instant. “ Who did you say the Bride was? “

Victoria turned around, surprised “ Eunji ? Do you remember her ? the one dad and I introduced you to, at the reunion party  ?“

Soo Hyun couldn’t believe his luck.

“ The Kims are a very good friend of our’s son and it’d be a sad thing to turn them down.”

Soo Hyun stared at Victoria reassuringly and smiled “ Tell them, I’m prepared to see her“.

Within the next six months, Eunji and Soo Hyun were engaged and within a year,  married. Soo Hyun thanked his stars a zillion times, during the time period. Eunji was quiet the entire time and seemed to be submissive to whatever was happening.

Is she always this quiet ? Maybe she is not a very opinionated person. Maybe she just follows what her Parents suggest for her and doesn’t question them.

He was completely aware of how lucky he was, to get her. Or atleast, how lucky he thought he was.  To him, she always seemed the kind who could be least interested in anything. Even in her own marriage. She seemed more the kind, who had choices imposed on her by Parents.

Maybe she didn’t have much of a say ? Maybe she doesn’t know what it is like to want something and get that too.

But he had different plans for her. For them. He dream and visualized of taking Eunji on tours abroad and buying her all the beautiful, expensive and exquisite things she wanted. He couldn’t wait till he got the opportunity to give her the freedom to choose and simultaneously bring a smile to her face. I promise to give her all the happiness.

Soo Hyun got the first signal of something being seriously wrong when Eunji had fainted during the music ceremony. The tension on her face became evidently visible. Soo Hyun was irked by her state. He lifted her, fanned her and sprinkled some water on her face. Once she gained consciousness, he was worried throughout the ceremony and kept an eye on her. He later tried asking if something was wrong and that she should feel free to share with him. But Eunji uncomfortably shifted in her seat numerous times and insisted she was okay.

Eunji’s mother Ji-hyo interrupted the couple “ Oh son ! How sweet are you ! She is fine..it’s just that she’s sad that she’ll soon have to leave her family and go into a new family . That is all “

Eunji nodded while she looked emotionally drained. Soo Hyun gave Ji-hyo a fake smile, while still tensed. But right after Soo Hyun and Eunji’s marriage, things changed drastically. Eunji refused to open her heart out to Soo Hyun. Despite his best behaviour, she would remain indifferent and isolated.

To Soo Hyun she seemed intimidated and emotionally disturbed at the thought of getting physically close to someone she didn’t still know very well. Soo Hyun let her have her time and refrained from pushing things at her.

“ But for how long ? You have to get to know me Eunji ! I’m your husband and I mean well for you. I don’t know if I was your first choice or if I was ever your choice at all, but please give me a chance. I want to bond with you at an emotional level before anything. I hope you trust me enough to know that. “

Eunji turned around and looked at him. She looked into those intense ,deeply set caramel eyes. They looked at her upset and hurt. Without wasting a moment, she crashed into arms to his surprise and sobbed as she clung onto him. “ I’m sorry..I’m so so sorry Soo Hyun …. I’m so sorry”.

Soo Hyun cuddled her up in his arms, perplexed not knowing what upset her so much. “ Shhh..it’s okay,please tell me what’s wrong. “

“ I’m in love with someone else “.

He stopped cradling her for a moment and stood motionless, while she held onto him. Soo Hyun slowly untangled and pulled her apart to face him.

“ You..” he voiced, too shocked to find words. His eyes looked into her’s. His eyes questioned her. She gasped and looked down, horrified.

“ No I mean..”

He tightened his grip around her arms , forcing her to face him.

“Soo Hyun..I ….” Eunji sobbed.

Soo Hyun’s wrath for once knew no limit. She quivered in pain.

“ Yes..it’s true “ she choked as she whispered. He pushed her away and freed her off his grip.

“ Why ?” he asked, his voice dangerously low “ You hid this from me before our marriage ?”

Eunji could see the look of disgust that engulfed his face.

“ You lied to me ! “.

Eunji clasped his hands “ I can explain “

Soo Hyun tore his hands away from her’s “ You’ve nothing to explain now Eunji, it’s too late “

Eunji looked away from his piercing gaze sobbing silently. Soo Hyun stormed out of the room.

A month passed by since the two had last conversed. Soo Hyun and Eunji put a facade of being a happily married couple, but Eunji knew how hurt and indifferent Soo Hyun had become.

“I just need some time. I promise I’ll try to work this out “ she begged.

Soo Hyun grabbed his coat with blank expressions and walked out of the room. It was not Eunji’s secret that hurt him, it was his helplessness of not being able to give Eunji the happiness, that he’d promised himself ,he would.

If only she had told me before marriage. I didn’t know what stopped her. Parents, Society or whichever other prick it was. I would’ve myself gone and given her in the hands of the guy she loves. But now, she’s mine. Only I’ve the right over her heart, her thoughts.

Soo Hyun’s silence and anger killed Eunji within. Her guilt of hurting him, grew with everyday. He doesn’t deserve this. It was not his fault. Doing everything she can to reduce his pain, she tried being a perfect wife to him. Chose clothes for him every morning, ironed them, kept a matching tie along, packed his lunch and kept his briefcase ready. All this she did, religiously. Nothing irked him.

Eunji had given up now. He wasn’t the love of his life but was her husband. He had to give her a chance.  Well aware of his indifferent attitude toward her, she took a risk and walked up to him. Soo Hyun stood gazing at the stars in the terrace. Eunji slowly walked up and stood beside him. .

“ He was the love of my life.” Eunji began gently.

Soo Hyun’s impulse was to walk away. But he stood still, seeming unaffected.

“ His name was Hyun-woo. I met him when I was seventeen in one of my cousin’s college fest. He was nineteen then. We were young and passionate. He instantly knew what he wanted. He charmed and persuaded me till I finally gave him my heart. There was no looking back after that. With everyday, we fell for each other more.”

Soo Hyun was now listening.

“We promised each other that we’d be companions for life. That our gift to each other, would be the cherished and precious companionship. “ Eunji paused as Soo Hyun slowly looked at her. “ But things turned haywire after that. When do we ever get what we want in life ? “ she said with a sarcastic, soft laugh.

Soo Hyun displayed a look of curiosity.

“ He was diagnosed with cancer. It was stage two. Bone cancer.”

Soo Hyun widened his eyes, still silent.

“ While he still gave me his trademark smiles, assuring me that everything is okay, I  saw him weaken and crumble as a person everyday. The doctors wrote him off. Everyone said he’d not survive. He wanted me for me to move on in life. While my family pitied him and empathized with me, we were forced to break up by our families. To my horror, he left the Country and moved to Alaska. His Uncle’s place, to die. And what shocked me was that, all of this was on my Parents’ heartless requests to his. To protect the two kids from further pain of witnessing death and separation.”

“ I called it heartless then and I still call it heartless now. I wanted to be with him during his last moments but fate had different plans. Either way, I cried myself to sleep every night “

Soo Hyun felt his heart melt.

“ I thought I lost him. I knew I’d lost him. Never heard from him again. Years passed by and I wondered everyday, if he was still alive or..” Eunji choked. “ But I was sure he was dead. “ She gently wiped the tears that streamed down her flawless face. “ I promised him I’d move on. But who cares about promises ? People promise so many things to themselves and to others, but how many can keep it ? I anyway did move on. A lot of marriage proposals poured in for me and all I did, was be least interested. Finally Mom and Dad chose you for me. I surrendered my life into their hands and choices for me and so I ‘m here with you today “ Eunji paused. “ And I really respect you.”

“But you don’t love me” stated Soo Hyun in a gentle whisper.

Eunji looked away and continued “ You remember I fainted during our Sangeet ? “

Soo Hyun blinked potential tears away and looked back at her.

“ He’s alive Soo Hyun. Hyun-woo fought death for a life with me “ Eunji turned towards him and took his hand in hers. “ The love of my life is alive “ she choked as tears streamed down her face.

She held his palms in her’s and brought her face down to them, as she sobbed. Soo Hyun felt the urge to  her head, lovingly. Eunji looked up and wiped the tears away.

“ But I promise you this, I will not hurt you. Yes I loved him and maybe still do. But I’m married to you now and I will stay by your side. “

Soo Hyun looked sympathetically at her. He wiped the tears off her face and pulled her into his arms.

Four months later, he pulled her face close to his and kissed her on the forehead. She slid into his arms , as he wrapped them around her. Slowly, they pulled apart to face each other. He finally realised how beautiful she was. Her face glowed with radiance when she smiled. Her charming and sparkling eyes could pull anyone out of their misery. He finally saw the real Eunji. He saw how beautiful she was. This was all he wanted from her. As this was all he wanted to give her. Regardless of what the price was.

“ It’s so strange Eunji. I promised myself to give you all the happiness and all that you’d want. Hyun woo and you promised each other, that you’d be companions for life. Promises don’t always break, do they ? It probably depends on how sincere we are about fulfilling them.”

Eunji slowly nodded. He looked at her longingly.

“ Don’t feel guilty, hey. Remember I chose this for the three of us. “ added Soo Hyun who looked towards a grateful and healthy looking Ji Hyun woo standing in the corner, leaning on a wall.

Soo Hyun leaned toward Eunji for the final time and whispered “ I know you can never love anyone as much as you love him. But let me tell you something Eunji, you can never be loved by anyone as much as I have loved you. I’ve never had you for myself, but I’ve loved you with all that I have.” 

He paused and smiled “I’ve given you , the love of my life. I’ve given her back to you”.


    

OMG I really want Eunji to act as the lead actress alongside Kim Soo Hyun for some drama in 2015/Future!! <3

Kyahhh...Is it just me who wants this?