Masquerade-1

She brings the boys out

"You don't have to tell her your name, she wont know who are are because of the mask anyways. You can walk away at any time and she wouldn't have a clue who you are, you can be anyone. So just go over there and ask her for a dance"


It was like a scene out of a movie. People twirled around the ballroom, dresses flaring at every turn, the men in tuxedos. No matter who you were, you were transfixed by the sight. It didn’t matter if you didn’t know how to dance like that; the couples were moving in a way that you were just swept up into it, as If they were leading you across the floor.


When it came time to plan the charity event Mr. Choi's daughter had suggested a ball. Everyone was apprehensive about it, but could not deny the chairman’s daughter, not when she excitedly started to throw out the details of what it would look like and what it would be.

And that’s how the charity ball came about, how a team of rising idols were forced into tuxedos and to dance and act like the gentlemen they certainly don’t portray on the ice. It would actually be quite humorous to be witness to it, to see them acting so cordially.

They were way out of their element and if it weren’t for the fact that the guests paid $20,000 a plate to be there and that all of the money went to the charity they would have fought against going. But the money collected from the night was going to a good cause, one that was to help fund the rebuild of a wing in the children’s hospital.

So the wearing of tuxedos and gloves were tolerable if just for the purpose. And the masks everyone was to wear for the evening until the last minute were bearable.

The ballroom of the hotel they had rented for the evening was transformed beautifully into something worthy of Romeo and Juliet. Rich colors of white and gold were everywhere you looked. Drapes of the colored silk hung about, the table cloths and chairs were adorned in the white with gold t. White roses wrapped in gold ribbon were in the middle of every table.

Lights shone down on the middle of the room where the dance floor was, the only other lighting coming from the candles that were burning everywhere you looked. It was truly a gorgeous sight, one that could take the breath of anyone who stepped into the room, one that did leave everyone gasping upon walking in.

He had thought it was beautiful, one that made him feel as though he was taken back in time or at a ball for royalty. It was unbelievable that this entire evening was constructed around them, that the sole purpose was for people to pay to share this evening with them, even if everyone was wearing the masks.

But as beautiful as it was he was still bored.

He hadn’t come with a date, not like his teammates, coaches or owners. It wasn’t that he didn’t want to bring a date, or that he couldn’t find one before the night. It was that after his recent breakup, one that was only a week prior, he was reluctant to put himself out there. The guys had all ragged on him, told him that he needed to get over it. And maybe he should have, but he didn’t.

Despite his lack of wanting to have a date or be involved with anyone he had kept his eyes transfixed on her all night.

She had turned heads all night, people admiring her white gown, one that could have been a wedding dress. And, even if you couldn’t see half of her face due to her mask there was no denying that she was beautiful, the type of beautiful that was natural.

Men had been approaching her all night, asking for a dance or trying to talk to her in hopes that something could go beyond the ball and the night. But she had turned everyone away, smiled politely at them and denied or excused herself from them. And it was that fact that he simply stared at her from across the room.

He was shy, undeniably charming, but shy. And had he had the confidence of his teammates, the confidence he once possessed, he might have also asked for a dance or just simply talked to her. But after the breakup the confidence he did have was diminished, and all that was left of the once confident man was now a shy little boy.

And what woman wanted a man that wasn’t even confident in himself?

It wasn’t that she hadn’t noticed him; she had the second he walked into the room. Her eyes kept going back to him, kept seeking him out, shielded by her mask so that no one could tell where her eyes were looking. It was him; he was the reason why she turned down so many men that night. He was the reason why no other man even got a second glance from her.

It was because she was hoping that he would come to her, to ask her for a dance or strike up a conversation.

But he never did and she was left to gaze at him from across the room, mentally commanding him to come to her, to even be within twenty feet of her. It was slightly frustrating. How he would move away and keep a considerable amount of distance between them. And so they would tango around the room; moving in circles as she attempted to get closer to him, failing each time.

Her presence was intimidating. Even from afar it was. She just oozed self confidence, and that alone was enough to make him nervous. She was what he used to be able to handle, what he did handle at one point, but now he wasn’t so sure. Now he didn’t know if he should get tangled up in a woman like that anymore, even if for just a dance or the evening.

His teammates had all come up to him, all noticing his staring. They had the same thing to say, tried to instill confidence in him. Some took a softer approach, told him that it was okay and to just talk to her. Others had taken a harder, more drastic approach, telling him to get over his ex and to grow some balls and walk over to her already. It had all fallen on deaf ears. He didn’t want to listen to them, however right they were, he was mildly content with just gazing at her from afar.

But it was his best friend on the team that had finally broken through to him, finally gave him just that ounce of confidence and reassurance that he needed. And it was because of his words that made him down a glass of champagne and walk over to her.


"You don't have to tell her your name, she wont know who are are because of the mask anyways. You can walk away at any time and she wouldn't have a clue who you are, you can be anyone. So just go over there and ask her for a dance"

His friend was right. He didn’t know who she was, and she didn’t know who he was either. There was absolutely no pressure, no expectations. And for the first time that night he was happy about wearing a mask, happy to have this anonymity. It was like a breath of fresh air that he needed and welcomed wholeheartedly.

He said nothing to her when he reached her. Their eyes connected, and with no words passed between them he held out his hand, grasping hers softly as she delicately placed hers in his. Their gloves prevented them from making skin on skin contact, but they still felt the warmth between them, and after a few more seconds of staring he lead her out onto the dance floor.

They spun around surrounded by the other couples, falling easily into a simple dance, one that looked like basic ballroom dancing. He didn’t know how he knew how to dance like this, didn’t know how he could lead her around the floor like he was. But it was comfortable, not at all what he would have expected. The hired orchestra played a beautiful, classic piece, one that was easy to dance to. And even he could appreciate the beauty in it.

Their eyes never left each other. His eyes locked on hers, the color of warm honey. They were rich in color, shining in the light and complimenting her auburn colored hair. He had never seen eyes that held so much warmth, so much passion and happiness. It was like he was drawn to her, pulling her body in just a little closer by the hand on the small of her back.

He couldn’t help but admire her as they spun. Her slim yet curvy figure, how even in the heels she was wearing she was still a couple inches shorter than him. They way her hand seemed to fit just right in his, the warmth her body radiated. It was all so welcoming, so enticing.

“Do I get your name?” Her voice was like velvet. Like the words just rolled around her tongue and came out in a wisp of breath. It was enough to make him want to shiver.

He debated on how to answer her. Not knowing if he should tell her right then and there, something that he didn’t think he was capable of before he had walked over to her, or if he should just give her a fake name. He rolled the choices over in his head. “You can just call me Prince Charming.” He decided finally.

Her answering smile to his response was beautiful. Her perfect bowed lips pulled back to show straight, white teeth. It had truly shined and he had to hold back a gasp when he saw it. Heads turned and looked at them as she let out a sweet laugh, the sound so soft and inviting that it commanded the attention, both male and female, around them.

“And you?” He asked charmingly, gaining confidence by every second. “Do I get your name?”

She smiled slyly, softly biting down on her bottom lip. “Well Prince Charming, you can call me Cinderella.” He chuckled at her answer, finding it amusing, yet endearing, how she had just turned this into a Disney movie as she went along with his little charade anonymity.

They never stopped dancing; never wanting to leave the other’s presence and the calming yet scorching effect it had on each other. No other words were spoken between them; they didn’t have to be said. Just dancing and looking into each other’s eyes was enough for them. They didn’t notice the wandering eyes that stayed locked on them as they danced, but even if they did they still wouldn’t have cared. It was as though they were in their own little bubble, some fairytale that had been fabricated the second they started dancing.

It wasn’t until the announcement of the final song that brought them back down into reality. Suddenly it wasn’t just them anymore, and their hearts dropped at the truth that the night was coming to an end. Why had he waited so long to go over to her? Why did he waste so much time? If he had known it would be like this then he would have gone to her the second he saw her.

When the song came to a close they stopped, standing where they were without moving from each other. Couples that had been dancing around them started to remove their masks. And still they didn’t move. Their eyes held so many questions as they bore into each other. They could walk away, keep up their little fairytale and be none-the-wiser about their true identities. Or they could remove the masks and possibly continue on after the night and make some of their fairytale a reality.

His hand fell away from her back, his other hand giving hers a soft squeeze before dropping it too and taking a step back. She eyed him curiously as his hands remained at his sides, not knowing if he was going to walk away or if he was going to do anything.

She watched as he slowly raised his hands, reaching behind his head and untied his mask, holding it in place before finally moving his hand and removed it from his face. When his mask was off she reached behind and undid the silk ribbon of her own mask, slowly removing it from her face as well.

They stared, finally seeing each other, taking in their face. He took a step towards her, reaching for her left hand and slowly brought it up, placing a light kiss on the back of it. The silk was smooth and cold against his lips yet still the warmth was there.

“Jung Eun Ji.” She said breathily, watching him with rapt fascination and slight adoration.

He looked up at her and smiled, standing back up as he drew her back into him. He pushed a stray curl that fell across her cheek back behind her ear and pressed on the small of her back so that she was flush against him. And with a newfound confidence, one that only she had drew out of him, and a charming smile he told her his name

“Lee Joon.”


Subscribers, hope you liked this Lee joon X Euni oneshot.