Elevator-1

She brings the boys out

Luhan is a typical popular guy; every girl loves him and every guy wants to be him. He's a town celebrity and even has a basketball scholarship to college. On the other hand, Eunji has a reputation for having an attitude, but she likes it that way. It's easier for her that way.

Eunji and Luhan have gone to school together for most of their lives, but they have never actually spoken until one day when they get stuck in a school elevator together. Unexpected secrets come out and they find out they have more in common than they initially thought.


They couldn't be more opposite; he was the jock, the pretty boy, the guy that every girl wanted and every other guy wanted to be. He was the closest thing to perfect that you could imagine. He got a full basketball scholarship to college and he was a town celebrity. He led his team to the state championship and was voted MVP. Naturally, he was a local celebrity and everyone that knew him took pride in his talent. On the other hand, she was the loner, the , the girl that everyone else avoided like the plague. No one really knew her, but she preferred it that way. She would not let anyone get close to her; no one was allowed to see the person standing on the other side of the Great Wall of China.

 

You might be surprised that these two people have known each other for the better part of their lives. They have been going to school together ever since they started kindergarten, yet they never uttered a single word to each other. They even had classes together, but they were never forced to work together and they never saw the need to acknowledge each other. They were just too different; he was bigger than life and she just shrank back into the shadows and watched from the sidelines. She pretended like she wasn't watching, but really she saw everything.

 

When she heard the loud, shrill sound of her irritable alarm clock, she groaned and immediately reached for the snooze button. Two seconds later, she heard her mother screaming her name from downstairs, so she got up reluctantly and trudged down the stairs. When she got to the kitchen, she could see that her mother was already drunk and it was only 10:00AM. Her face was beat red and she smashed a dish on the floor in anger.

 

“Why didn't you clean up this mess last night like I told you to, Eunji?” she angrily yelled at her daughter. “I should not have to do everything around this house!”

“Okay, I'm sorry. I'll do it right now.” Eunji had spent most of her night last night cleaning the house, but it appeared that her mother had just messed it up again and forgot that it was ever clean in the first place. She used to fight back to her mother, but eventually she learned that it was no use. Nothing would change and fighting back would just make everything worse.

 

“If this place isn't spotless when I come back, there are going to be consequences,” she said coldly and then she stormed out of the kitchen. Eunji let out a long sigh and then got down on her hands and knees and began to clean. She could not wait until she had enough money to move out of her house and away from her current life. She felt like Cinderella trapped inside a castle and forced to work against her will. Only difference was that she didn't have an evil stepmother; she had an evil mother, which somehow made it worse. Just as she was done cleaning, her cell phone began to vibrate from inside her pocket serving as a reminder that she had somewhere to be. She ran up to her room to grab her stuff and left before her mother could order her to do anything else.

 

He was in a blissful sleep until he could feel someone shaking him awake. When his eyes fluttered open, he saw a blurry figure standing over him. He blinked and his vision cleared to reveal the angry face of his father.

“Luhan, why aren't you awake yet?” he asked accusingly. “You need to get up so that you can start to practice. You have to make sure you're in shape for when the NBA comes to recruit you. I want to see you out on the court by 11:00AM, no later.” He turned and walked out of the room, slamming the door on his way out.

 

Once his dad left, Luhan got out of bed and began to change, but then he heard his cell phone go off. It wasn't until he looked at his phone that he realized that he needed to drive back to school to complete a science lab that needed to be done as soon as possible. He had to get a good grade on this lab, otherwise he would fail the class. If he failed the class, he was off the basketball team. If he was off the basketball team, his dreams would be crushed and he would be stuck working behind the counter at McDonald's for the rest of his life. At least that's how he saw it.

 

Luhan grabbed everything he needed and went downstairs. When his dad saw him with keys in his hand, he nearly had a heart attack. When Luhan finally got a chance to explain the situation after all the yelling, his father then proceeded to threaten to take his car away if he did not pull his grades up and come to practice immediately afterward. Luhan just rolled his eyes in response. As if he hadn't heard this same lecture about a million times before... A few minutes later, he finally walked out the front door and got into his car. This was going to be a long day.

 

When Eunji pulled into the school parking lot, she was not surprised to see that it was pretty much empty. Thank God no one else is here to see me, she thought. Only losers go to school on Saturdays. She couldn't believe that she had to come in to do some stupid science lab that she didn't have time to finish in school. How lame. On the other hand, she was glad she did not have to be stuck at home with her evil monster of a mother.

 

As soon as she got out of her car, she nearly jumped at the sound of another car's loud motor and she looked just in time to see the car turning into the very same parking lot she was in. She squinted at the person through the windshield and could not believe her eyes when she saw that it was Luhan, the school's biggest jock and local celebrity. What on earth would he be doing here? she wondered as she watched him park his car. She couldn't help but stare; no girl could resist looking at him, not even the girl that pretends she's invisible. When he saw her looking at him, she snapped out of her trance and started walking hastily into the building.

 

Her face turned red from embarrassment, especially when he followed her into the building. She pushed the “up” arrow and they both waited for the elevator in an awkward silence. Finally, the bell rang, the arrow lit up, and the elevator opened. They stepped inside and each went to press the same floor, but accidentally bumped hands on the way. They both muttered apologies and Eunji's face just got more red. She watched the light go from number to number, signaling that the elevator was moving up and waited anxiously to get to the right floor. Her heart nearly stopped when she heard a sound similar to that of nails on a chalk board. The elevator shook slightly and the light stopped moving.

 

“Wh-what just happened?” Eunji asked, her voice shaking slightly.

“I'm not sure,” Luhan responded. “I think we're stuck though. I can't feel the elevator moving.” He pushed the emergency call button and listened to it ring, but no one answered. He repeated this process for at least five minutes, each of them staring hopefully at the speaker above the buttons, but no one answered. He eventually let out a long sigh and said, “Well, it looks like we're going to be here for awhile.”

 

Eunji sat down in the corner of the elevator keeping as far away from Luhan as possible. Her eyes studied the floor, her hands, her feet, anything but the man beside her. He decided to sit down too and his eyes wandered over to her. He could not help but wonder what this girl's story was. He had seen her his whole life and always wondered about her, but never actually talked to her. He heard stories from his friends that she was extremely unpleasant, but, when he looked at her now, he only saw a girl who seemed, well... lonely. His curiosity got the better of him and he decided to talk to her.

 

“Hey,” he smiled at her. She looked up at him in surprise. “I'm Luhan.”

“I know,” she responded trying to act indifferent and hide her surprise.

“You are Eunji, right?”

The surprise she felt before did not even compare to the surprise she felt this time. “How do you know my name?”

“I've heard a lot about you.”

“Nothing good, I'm sure.”

“To be honest, you're right. I haven't heard anything good about you, but I also know how my friends can be,” he responded as he studied her curious expression.

“Your friends don't know me. No one does. I prefer it that way.”

“Why do you say that?” he asked.

 

She took a second to think. Normally, she would not have answered this question, but there was something about him that was different than anyone else she had known. She couldn't put her finger on it, but for some reason she felt like she could trust him. She took a deep breath and began to speak. “It's better if I don't have anyone close to me,” she stated. “Every friend I have had has gone behind my back or hurt me in some way. Besides, my parents are alcoholics, so it's not like I can bring anyone home to meet them. I'm not allowed to have people over anyway. They make me do everything around the house, so I don't have time for a social life. It's easier for me to just shut people out. That way, they can't disappoint me like everyone else has. Speaking of which, I probably should not have told you all that, especially when I don't even know you. I bet you don't have problems like that, huh?”

 

“What makes you say that?”

“You're the school jock. Everyone loves you. You can do no wrong in their eyes. You're like Boy Wonder.”

 

“Don't judge me so quickly,” he said in a harsh tone. “My life isn't perfect either. My mother died when I was little and my dad cares more about my basketball career than he does about me. The only thing he ever talks to me about is sports. There are times when I would give anything to just live a normal life. He basically told me that he would disown me if I didn't become a pro basketball player. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but sometimes I wonder what my life would be like without it. Would my dad still love me?” When he was done speaking, he buried his head in his hands.

 

In response, Eunji let out a long breath and said, “Wow. I had no idea. I'm sorry about your mom and your dad sounds like a real jerk. If basketball is something you really love, then you should do it for you, not your father. But, if you don't love it, you are never going to be happy doing it. It sounds like our parents have some things in common.”

 

He nodded. “Thanks. I love basketball, I just wish he would cut me a break sometimes. I work so hard every day. I don't understand how parents could treat their kids like that. I never want to be like my dad when I become a father.”

 

“Yeah,” she agreed. “My parents can't go one single day without a drink. I can tell how drunk they are just based on how much they scream. My mother especially has frequent blackouts. It just makes me never want to even touch alcohol. Going home every day is like torture because there's nothing good there for me.”

 

Luhan just looked over at her and nodded. “I completely agree.” Neither of them knew what else to say, so there were a few more minutes of silence. Luhan could not stop thinking about everything Eunji had just said to him. He wondered if he was still playing basketball for himself or if he was only doing it to please his father. If he decided to quit basketball, what would he do instead? What would his father do to him? He never had so many unanswered questions about his own life. Then, he got to thinking about Eunji herself. Every time he saw her before this, he could see that she had a protective wall up around herself. Why had she opened up so freely to him? More importantly, why did he open up so freely to her? He didn't even know this girl, yet here he was telling her his whole life story, including some details that he had never told anyone else. He had only been talking to her for about an hour and yet he felt like he had known her for most of his life. At the same time, he desperately wanted to get to know her more; he wanted to break down her walls.

 

“You know, you aren't nearly as mean as other people say you are,” he finally said.

“Oh yeah?” she asked. “How would you know? You don't even really know me.”

 

“That's true, but I do know that you just told me some very intimate details of your life and I definitely told you some of mine. If you were really mean, you wouldn't have even talked to me at all. I think it's all just an act; you act like a to people so that you don't have to worry about them actually liking you. I'll let you in on a secret though: you messed up.”

 

“What do you mean?” she wondered.

“You let me see the person you really are and I think you are pretty damn cool. Everyone else is missing out.”

 

She had no idea what to say in response to that, so she simply smiled. He took his phone out of his pocket and handed it to her. “Can I have your number?” he asked. Wordlessly, she plugged her number in and then handed it back to him. He looked into her eyes and smiled widely at her and she could not help but blush again.

 

Suddenly, the elevator started to move again and they both jumped a little bit and then laughed at each other. It appeared that their calls had actually gone through, they just did not know it. Once they finally got off the elevator, they both ended up going to the same room. It appeared they had the same science teacher, just at different times. They worked together on the lab, while getting to know each other at the same time.

 

When they were finished, they walked out to the parking lot together and said goodbye. They each got into their cars to go home knowing that it was the last place they wanted to be. They wanted to go back in that elevator where the world suddenly stopped and all they had was each other. It was so much easier in that world. Even though they were in that world for a very short amount of time, they both knew that it had changed their lives for the long run.


 Hanji as requested by Cookiezzz, hope you like it <3