Runaway Bride-1

She brings the boys out

Eunji has been in love with her best friend, Jin, for years. Thinking that the feelings were not mutual, she decides to marry another man. That is until she read a letter containing a secret that Jin has been keeping.


I was running. I was going as fast as I could, which was not very fast. My heel caught on the edge of my dress and then I was on the floor with scraped palms and a ripped dress. I got up despite the pain radiating across my legs. My strappy white stilettos were not meant for running. Despite this, I started on a sprint again. My fall had gained the attention of the people mingling outside of the old church. Undeterred, I kept running. To avoid another meeting with the sidewalk, I bunched the puffy skirt of my dress in my hands and lifted it up above my slightly tanned legs. My feet hit the floor, each new step bring new pain.

 

I ran until I passed the hot dog vender urging customers to buy his food from his daily spot. I ran until I passed the coffee shop filled with college students studying for the upcoming finals. I ran until I passed the man on the corner playing his old violin. I ran until I was exhausted. Then I ran some more.

 

I was struggling to catch my breath when I finally stopped running in front of a two-story house. My auburn hair had escaped the hairstyle that had taken hours to create and was sticking to my sweaty skin. I could only imagine what a sight I was. My make up smudged by the sweat running and the warm sun had caused to form on my skin, dirt on the hem of my once pristine white gown, and my hair a mess. Yet none of this mattered as I gathered up my strength and walked on the stone path leading to a mahogany door.

 

I lifted one gloved hand and rang the doorbell. Butterflies flew around my stomach while I waited for him to open his door. Finally, the door moved to reveal his stunned face on the other side. His green eyes were wide and his mouth open in shock. “Eunji? What are you doing here?” his voice, even when shocked, brought comfort over me, “Shouldn’t you be getting married?”

 

I suddenly remembered where I was and why I came. I lifted my hand, reveling the letter that I had been clutching on the way here. His eyes were confused at first, but then recognition filled them. “Is it true? What you wrote here, is it true?” I asked him, my voice coming out in a breathy whisper.

 

“How did you get that?” He asked flabbergasted.

 

“Bomi gave it to me.” Bomi, my maid of honor, had given me the envelope before I walked down the aisle. We were in the dressing room at the back of the church getting ready when she handed me the white envelope without any more explaJinion besides “You had to know.” Confused I had opened the envelope

and unfolded the letter. It was a confession from my best friend.

 

Eunji,

I know that you will never read this. I wouldn’t want you to. You seem happy with Adrian, even if he doesn’t treat you right. I think you are making a mistake marrying him. He cheats on you and doesn’t appreciate you. You deserve better. Anyways this letter isn’t to scold you over your choice in relationships (even though it’s always ). This is to get something off my chest. I love you Eunji. I love everything about you. I love how you blow your bangs out of your face when you’re frustrated. I love how your nose gets a little crinkle in it when you smile. I love how smart you are, and how you yell at the football players on screen. Hell, I even love how you say my full name when you’re angry. I wish I had told you this before you met Adrian, but I was scared. I was scared of losing our wonderful friendship, of loosing you. Now, you’re getting married and I will lose you forever. I wish I could have told you this in person. It could have been like in those movies you make me watch, where the guy confesses to the girl how he loves her and she says she loves him and they kiss and live happily ever after. But it’s not. This is reality. You are going to marry Adrian and never know about my feelings.

I love you,

Jin

 

After reading those words, I gathered up my veil and dress and ran out of the church. I had left the man I thought I was going to send the rest of my life with and ran to my best friend’s house.

 

“How did Bomi get that?” Jin asked as he ran a hand through is dark hair, a nervous habit of his.

“She found it when she stopped at your house last week to pick up the dishes she let you borrow.” I explained to him.

“And Bomi, intruded my privacy, read it and then stole it?” He stated with an annoyed look on his face.

“This isn’t about Steh, Jin. This is about whether or not what you wrote in this letter is true!” I yelled at him, having lost my patience and earlier bashfulness.

 

“Of course it’s true, Eunji,” he sighed, “but that doesn’t change anything. You and Adrian are supposed to be getting married right know. You shouldn’t be here because you read something and felt bad for your friend.” His eyes looked sad, as if he had accepted that I didn’t return his feelings.

 

“I’m not here because I feel bad, Jin. I’m here because I love you too.” I whispered. His blue eyes rushed to meet my green ones.

“You do?” He asked, doubtful.

“I’ve loved you since we were in high school. I thought that you could never love me, that you only saw me as one of the boys.”

 

“I could never see you as one of the boys; you’re much too girly for that.” He interrupted me with a teasing smile.

“Shut up, Jin. I could so take you. Even in this wedding dress.”

“Even with the veil?” he laughed.

 

“Stop interrupting me,” I gave him an annoyed look and he became serious. I took a deep breath and continued with my confession. “I have always loved you. I love how protective you are of me. I love how we banter. I love-” Jin interrupted me by putting his lips on mine. After I got over the shock, I wrapped my arms around his neck and brought him closer to me. Our lips moved in union, sending sparks throughout my body. After an immeasurable amount of time we broke apart for air. “I love how you kiss me,” I said breathlessly. He smiled and replaced his lips on mine to continue their dance.

 

I heard clapping in the background and I pulled back to find the source of the commotion. The clapping was coming from Jin’s neighbor, a kind old lady who was like our grandmother. “I knew you two would end up together. I always knew it! Oh, I have to call Miranda and give her the good news!” she exclaimed before happily dancing into her house.

 

“So,” I began, “since you told me you love me and I told you I love you…”

 

“All that’s left is our happily ever after.” Jin said before once again meeting my lips. As I stood there on Jin’s porch, kissing him, I realized that there was nowhere else I would rather be. I knew that it wouldn’t be a traditional happy ever after. I had to explain to my family, Adrian, and his family, why I never showed up to our wedding. I had to return wedding gifts and cancel the honeymoon. But none of that mattered. All that mattered was Jin and I, and how we finally confessed our feelings for one another. Who knows, maybe soon I will be planning another wedding.


 

Jin X Eunji as requested by kimhyosun!