Fatal attraction-1

She brings the boys out

Jung Eunji is a temporary maid, filling in for her sick friend Yura, at the Lee/Kim household.This is where she meets Taehyung,a mysterious man who she is drawn to.It soon becomes clear that they like each other,but will this turn into love? Only time will tell...


Eunji was cheerfully whistling a tune as she made her cleaning rounds at Mrs. Lee's. She had only been working there for a few days. Her friend Yura had gotten ill, and while she was recovering someone needed to take her place. Yura had recommended her as a replacement maid, since she knew that Eunji had just been let go from her old job due to the family losing their business and having to cut down on the hired help.

 

Making her way into a smaller guest bedroom she was shocked to find the room was occupied. If she had known she would have knocked first before entry. A dark haired man was sitting on the bed with a book in his hand, facing the window. He looked towards her and that was when she noticed his face, which was shocking to see, since he had a missing eye and deep scarring that spread over one side of his face. Eunji gasped in shock and her hands flew up to her face. In doing so she dropped her cleaning bucket and the contents spilled out onto the floor.

 

"I-I-I...I'm so sorry, sir..."Eunji finally managed to say, barely controlling a nervous stutter.

 

The man remained silent as he stood up from the bed and walked over to her, after hurriedly fixing a mask onto his face. This made Eunji's anxiety grow. Had she offended him? Was he so angry with her he did not want to talk to her?

 

Eunji knelt to pick up the items she had dropped and hurriedly stuffed them back into the bucket with trembling hands. "It's just that this room has been empty for the past three days, and Mrs.  Lee didn't say she was having a guest to stay. Oh, not that she needed to tell me, andI'm not blaming her for my mistake sir, I just..." Eunji bit her lip, on the verge of tears. She did not know why she was getting so upset. It was not like she really had anything to cry about.

 

"Don't worry about it" The tone of his voice was warm as he reached out to her. She did not hesitate to place her hand on his, and he helped her to stand. She felt a sense of loss when he released her hand. His grip had been firm, but gentle.

"Sir, you won't mention this to Mrs. Lee, will you?" Eunji asked.

He shook his head and Eunji audibly sighed in relief. "Oh, thank you so much sir. I won't disturb you again, I promise"

He chuckled, a low musical sound that was quite pleasant. Eunji had the fleeting thought that she would not mind hearing that laugh again. "You didn't disturb me"

 

They looked at each other for a long moment and he gave her a crooked smile. Eunji returned the smile with a shy smile of her own.

"Well, I should be going now, sir" Eunji wanted to find out more about this mysterious man, but she could not forget her duties.

"What's your name?"

"Jung, sir. Eunji Jung"

"It's nice to meet you Miss Jung"

Eunji laughed a little. "Oh, there's no need to be formal with me. I'm just the maid. Call me Eunji, please sir"

There was a pause before he nodded. "Ok .I'll call you Eunji if you call me Taehyung?"

So that was his name. Eunji had been dying to know it, but she felt uneasy when she heard his suggestion. "I don't think that's a good idea, sir."

"If I can't change your mind yet, what if we compromise? I'll be Mr. Harrow to you and you will be Miss Jung to me. Don't call me sir anymore, ok?"

"Oh, but there really is no need to call me Miss Jung. I guess, at least when we are alone I can call you...Taehyung" Eunji looked around at this point as if checking to see if anyone had overheard what she said. "Although really this is unusual for me, sir, ah I mean Taehyung"

"Well I must get back to work now" Eunji turned to leave but was stopped by his hand resting on her shoulder.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" Eunji turned back to see he was holding her cleaning bucket.

"Oh, of course. Silly me" Eunji grabbed hold of the bucket, her breath hitching as their fingers touched briefly and they seemed frozen for a split second, her icy blue eyes locking with his hazel green. It was Eunji who broke eye contact first. She left, almost in a daze.

 

When she returned to his room later to clean it, she was disappointed to find that he was not there. Although perhaps it was a good thing since she would have no distractions. As she was about to strip the covers and sheet from the bed, she saw the book Taehyung had left there earlier. Curiosity overtook her and she picked it up. The book was bound in leather dyed a rich red, and the title was embossed in gold letters. It was a book of poetry and as she opened it a photo slipped out onto the bed. Eunji picked it up and saw it was a photo of Taehyung. He looked a little younger, and was wearing a soldier's uniform. There wasa playful smile on his face. In a way it was strange for Eunji seeing him without the mask but mask or no mask he was a handsome man.

 

Turning the photo over, she saw a few words were scrawled across the back.

- To my darling Evie. With love, Taehyung

 

Evie? Was she Taehyung's sweetheart? Was he married? No, he had no ring. She was relieved upon realizing that and she placed the photo back in the book, slamming it shut. What was she thinking? It was none of her business whether he was taken or single, but already she disliked Evie, a woman she didn't even know. Eunji sighed, placing the book onto the bedside table and then stripped the mattress bare. After remaking the bed she turned her attention to the rest of the room. Taehyung was a neat man, perhaps because of his military days but nonetheless it made her job easier and she was soon finished.

 

Eunjihad finished her work for the day and was on her way out of the apartment when she heard her name being called by Mrs. Lee who was standing by the telephone in the hallway.

"Yes Ma'am?"

Mrs. Lee looked the picture of elegance in a lovely blue silk ball gown and her dark hair swept up witha few tendrils framing her face. She seemed worried.

 

"Oh, Eunji. It's good that I caught you before you left. My babysitter just cancelled on me, and I'm meant to be going out with Mr. Kim. I was supposed to be making a speech, and he will be so disappointed if I tell him I can't go..."

"Do you want me to stay and look after the children?" Eunji asked.

Mrs. Lee nodded, clasping her hands together in front of her almost as if she were praying. "Could you, Eunji? I know it's a bit sudden and you must be tired after working but the children like you, and I know I can trust you. I'll pay for the extra time, I promise"

 

Eunji shook her head and smiled. "You don't have to pay me extra, Mrs. Lee. Honestly, it'll be my pleasure to look after the children"

"You're a sweetheart. Thank you. I already said goodbyeto the children, and I will be back around nine o'clock...Ten o'clock at the latest" Mrs. Lee walked over to Eunji and hugged her, enveloping Eunji with the scent of her flowery perfume before hurrying over to the doorand leaving. Eunji waved as she closed the door and locked it.

 

She searched for the children and found them in the front room. Teddy was playing with a set of brightly colored tin soldiers. His sister Lizzy was cuddling a French porcelain doll she had fondly named Cecel. Eunji sat on the couch and watched them play fora while. Then Teddy knocked over his soldiers with a scowl on his face. "I want a story. Read us the story about the mean old' witch" He demanded, his gaze turning to Eunji.

 

"Well, I think you forgot the magic word," Eunji replied.

Teddy seemed puzzled for a moment then his face cleared. "Please?"

"Good. Okay, let's see now..." Eunji glanced around, smiling when she saw a hardback copy of The Wizard of Oz lying on the coffee table. She picked it up and held the book so the cover was facing Teddy. "Is this the story you want?"

Teddy nodded enthusiastically and jumped up onto the couch sitting next to Eunji. Lizzy followed him but sat to Eunji's right so Eunji was in the middle of the children.

Eunji opened up the book then cleared and started to read, but she paused when Lizzy giggled.

"Mommy already told us that part"

"Oh, silly me. I wonder, is there a marker?" Eunji looked at the book and saw she had failed to notice that one of the pages had the corner folded back. "Ah, here it is..."

 

Eunji read to the children until she noticed Lizzy had fallen asleep and Teddy was nodding off also although he was trying to fight it. Eunji glanced at the clock and saw it was almost eight o'clock. Since eight o'clock was meant to the children's bedtime Eunji hurriedly set about the task of helping the children bathe and getting changed into their nightclothes. After she tucked Lizzy in with her doll Cécile and gave them both a kiss on the forehead she led Teddy to his room and tucked him in too. Lizzy had fallen asleep again soon after Eunji had said goodnight, but with Teddy it took a glass of warm milk before he drifted off to sleep.

 

Not long after that Eunji settled herself in the living room again, waiting for Mrs. Lee to return. When she heard the front door being unlocked she stepped out into the hall.

"You're back early, Mrs..."Eunji's words trailed off as she saw it was Taehyung entering the apartment.

"So we meet again" Taehyung smiled.

Eunji gasped when she saw there was a large cut on Taehyung's forehead. "What happened?"

"Nothing. I just had a disagreement with someone" The tone of Taehyung's voice was brusque, and it was clear he did not want to talk about it. Eunji decided not to ask any more questions although she was curious.

"Well you just wait here while I get some things to clean it..." Eunji turned to walk away but was stopped by a hand on her arm. She turned back.

"I can do it"

"It's okay, I can just..."

His grip on her arm tightened and he glared at her. "I said no, I'll do it"

"Oh, alright. Um, Taehyung?"

"What?" He snapped, and she flinched.

"You're hurting my arm..."

 

He let go, his face turning blank after an odd look that Eunji thought might be remorse. "I'm sorry. Please excuse me" He brushed past her and disappeared down the hall into his room, the door shutting behind him with a soft snap.

Eunji sighed heavily. Why did she have to pry? Now he was probably mad at her.

 

She was relieved when Mrs. Lee returned to the apartment, red faced and laughing with Mr. Kim by her side.

"Eunji, is everything alright?" Mrs. Lee asked.

"Yes. The children are sleeping soundly"

"Oh, that's good to hear"

 

Mr. Kim stepped forward, his hand disappearing into the inner pocket of his suit jacket then coming out with a neatly folded stack of bills which he offered to Eunji. "Here. For your trouble"

 

"No, no sir. I already told Mrs. Lee, I enjoyed watching the children, it's no bother"

"Eunji, I would have paid the babysitter the same. Please, take it" Mrs. Lee gently coaxed.

"Well, you heard Mrs. Lee. Look at it this way, you did a fine job, and so now you're getting paid" Mr. Kim pressed the money into her hands.

 

Seeing her poised to protest he shook his head, raising a hand to stop her. "I can't take it back now, it's yours" Mr. Kim smiled.

"Thank you sir" Eunji put the money away in her purse, tucking it deep down inside. She hadn't wanted it, but they were kind to give it to her and perhaps she could treat herself to a new dress. After exchanging goodbyes she left, hurrying out of the apartment complex and heading in the direction of the small boarding house she had rented a room at. It was halfway across town, but she was used to the long walk. Still, she did not like to be out walking by herself late at night. It made her uneasy. So when she felt a hand grab her shoulder she jumped and screamed, a shrill sound that she muffled with her hand after turning and seeing Taehyung standing there.

 

Eunji glared at him briefly but then her eyes softened, she was not really mad. "You scared me. I thought you were a mugger or something..."

 

Taehyung took hold of her hand, and began to walk down the street with long strides leaving Eunji no choice but to walk alongside him or be pulled along

"Wait, where are you taking me?" She asked, laughing.

"I'm walking you home"

 

Eunji could not help the smile that crept onto her face. "You don't have to do that"

"I know. I want to…." Taehyung glanced at her. "Except…I don't know where you live"

"We are going in the right direction, but I can guide you there if you slow down a little"

"Ok. You lead the way"

 

As they walked they fell into a comfortable silence. Eunji was happy enough to just spend some alone time with Taehyung. She saw an older lady smile at them and realized she probably thought Eunji and Taehyung were a couple taking a late night stroll. Eunji wished that it was true, but she had no idea of what Taehyung thought of her. Besides, they had only known each other for a day. Eunji did not believe in love at first sight, but she felt drawn to Taehyung, as if somehow they had an invisible connection. Which was just insane. She knew it. Besides, she would just end up being crushed. Taehyung was not interested in her. Why would he be? She was nothing special.

 

When they reached the house where she lived in a small apartment, Taehyung led the way up the steps to the main door, where he let go of her hand.

"Well…Thank you again. Goodnight, Taehyung"

 

Taehyung simply nodded, and Eunji bit her lip before leaning over and placing a light kiss on Taehyung's cheek. Her heart sunk when he frowned and stepped back.

"Oh, I didn't mean- I-I just….I'm sorry. I was…That was very inappropriate" Eunji's face felt hot as she looked down, her hair falling in front of her eyes.

"Please, can we just pretend it never happened?" Eunji's voice was getting quieter with each word that fell from . Tears were starting to prick at her eyes, threatening to come down.

"Do you like me?" He asked.

 

Eunji sighed miserably. "It doesn't matter now. Not really…"

"I need to know" Taehyung replied as he brought his hand up to her face, tilting it up so he could look directly into her eyes.

"Yes…" Eunji spoke so quietly it was hard to hear.

"Are you sure?" Taehyung asked.

"I've never felt this way before. And I shouldn't, I know. I'm just a simple maid, and you have a sweetheart. I just-"

"A sweetheart?" Taehyung interrupted her.

"You see, I saw the photo of you in that book. Signed with love to Evie, short for Evelyn perhaps?"

"You were snooping around in my room?"

"No, no. I was just cleaning, and so I picked up the book from the bed and well, the photo just slipped out" Eunji looked panic stricken. "Please, you mustn't think badly of me Mr. Harrow. Oh, I mean Taehyung…"

 

Taehyung rested a hand on her shoulder. "Relax, Eunji. Just breathe…I'm not angry. And I don't have a sweetheart. Evelyn is just part of my past, and I don't want to discuss that with you. Not yet"

 

Eunji slowly nodded. "I understand. I shouldn't have said anything anyway"

"I'm glad you did tell me" Taehyung admitted, bringing his free hand up to her face where he brushed a few stray locks of hair away from her eyes. He leant closer, and Eunji froze for a few moments, feeling like her heart had skipped a beat. Was he really going to-? He paused when their noses were almost touching; he was so close she could feel his breath on her face. "Are you sure?" There were so many things implied in that one small question, Eunji knew. She did not even need to think about it.

 

"Yes. Oh yes. Please, Taehyung. I really want this" Eunji looped her arms around his neck and waited, longing for his kiss. Finally, his lips pressed against hers and her eyes drifted shut as she lost herself in the kiss, which brought such sweet relief. She didn't want it to end, even when her lungs were crying out for more air. When he pulled away, Eunji leaned against him, as her legs were unsteady and she caught her breath. He did not seem to mind, wrapping his arms around her in a warm embrace and dropping a kiss onto the top of her head.