9. Step by Step

Distorted image [A VIXX fanfiction]


Cat and Ravi were sat there waiting for the psychiatrist, it was a bright waiting room they were in and Ravi would be waiting outside the entire time for her, he wanted to make sure that she didn't sneak out for any reason. Cat was then called in and before she went in Ravi grabbed her hand and he said.

"I'll be waiting right here okay?"

"Okay."

She replied before walking into the room to see the psychiatrist. And then it was just Ravi in the waiting room by himself waiting for her to come out again so they could go home.

Back at home Hongbin was doing his own research on Bulimia and more into the recovery part of it all, he just wanted her to get better again more than anything else right now. He went online and he typed in the search bar "Bulimia recovery meal plan." After looking at a few pages he came across one which gave him this information.

"The best way of getting your eating under control is to make sure you establish a regular eating pattern. Regular eating through out the day is the best way of doing this.
You may say
“but if I eat in the morning I just can’t stop and it turns into a binge” 
This may be true. I struggled with this issues too. At first you may not be able to stop eating after a meal but with time, practicing and some of the advice on this blog, I promise it will get easier. The more you practice a new habit the more ingrained it will become and in turn the more natural it will become. Remember to keep you goal of regular eating throughout your recovery. It really does make a big difference.
Sometimes you have to fall down 7 times and stand up 8 times before you get what you need and want.

Essential advice
DO NOT try to loose weight during recovery!
Trying to loose weight will genuinely hinder your recovery progress as it will keep your mind and body stuck with eating disorder behaviours and thoughts. If you are over weight and would benefit from loosing weight, I would also suggest that you put your weight loss on hold. Make your main goal “eating regularly and established normal eating habits” and try to put you weight goals to one side for a while.
You may find the thought of stopping trying to loose weight really hard. I know when I was unwell and I wanted to recovery but I couldn’t bare the thought of maintaining. I was a normal weight yet I could not let go of the thought that I “needed” to loose weight and it was so important to me.
The best advice I can give you is to say to yourself that “for the next few days/weeks/months I will put loosing weight to one side and come back to it later”. Hopefully with time you will learn the benefits of eating regularly, along with other skills learnt in recovery, you may become more accepting of you body size or (in your health would benefit from it) loose weight in a sensible manner.

Advice on “getting out of the habit” of bulimia.

Bulimia, all eating disorders in fact, are learn behaviours. There can be emotional, external or physical reason as to why they begin but the reason why it continues is because our bodies and minds get into a bad habit in the way we think and eat. Just like those without EDs are in the habit of eating normally. We are in the habit of eating “disorderly”. Habits can be change and new healthy ones can be learnt, but it does take time, effort and perseverance.

Some good ways to help you get out of this habit are:

1) Introduce regular meals slowly.
For example: Tell yourself that you will eat lunch everyday from now on. Even if you don’t manage any other meals or if you binge/purge/restrict the rest if the day. Start with something easy. I would most likely chose a sandwich with chicken salad and mayonnaise or a jacket potato and beans.
Every time you achieve this lunch you are one step closer to recovery. Tell yourself that you have done well every time you complete this meal. You deserve the praise, archiving in ED recovery is a big deal.
DO NOT try to set your self really big goals or lots of goals at once. Saying something like “my goal is to eat all 3 meals from now on” will be way to overwhelming and it is so much easier to fail at reaching your goal. Start small with one small meal and add in a new goal every week or every 2weeks. This gives your body and mind time to keep up with the changes without being overwhelmed.

2) Make a list of 10 small meals that you feel you could eat and enjoy. Make sure each meal contains carbohydrates, protein, vegetables and even a little portion of fat if you can.
A good example of some small meals would be :
-a jacket potato with any filling and a small side salad
- baked chicken fillet with 4 new potatoes and a handful of boiled vegetables.
- a sandwich with any filling and small side salad
- a seafood salad with a bread roll and butter
- small portion of cheese and tomato pasta (2-3 serving spoons)
- chicken stir fry with a small portion of rice.
- soup with 2x slice of bread and butter.

3) Look at your list and decide which meal you would find easiest to eat (the ones that cause the least anxiety). When you begin recovery it is ok to choose 2-3 of the easiest meals on your list and only eat them till you feel more comfortable with eating regular meals.

4) Decide a time that you will eat your lunch. Choose, at least, a 2 hour slot. For example: between 12noon and 2pm. Giving yourself a time slot allows you more flexibility if, for whatever reason, you cannot eat at 12noon then you still have 2more hours to fit it in. Let’s face it, life is not always as easy as “I will have my lunch at x time” sometimes stuff gets in the way. Giving yourself this time slot also helps you not to use the excuse “but I didn’t have time for lunch”.
If by 2pm you still have not had lunch then I would advise eating it after that time but also thinking about why you could not manage it in your allocated time. Part of establishing a regular eating pattern is making sure that you find the time to eat. We are very good as, eating disordered people, at over distracting our self (to prevent binging or archive at restricting) and not allowing enough time to make nourish our bodies.

5) decide the day before what you will have for your lunch the next day. Deciding the day before will prevent as much anxiety on the day. It is common for those with eating disorders to struggle with choosing a meal when put on the spot.
Deciding the day before will also mean that you can prepare it and have it in you bag or your fringe ready. If you have to go to the shop to collect it there is a chance you will also collect binge food. Don’t put yourself at risk. Plan ahead.

6) “How do I stop this turning into a binge?”
Think:
- could you eat this meal with someone else?
- could you eat the meal in a cafe?
- could you organise an activity (preferably not exercise) for after the meal? E.g a crossword, a puzzle, printing your nails, calling a friend, ect.
I have found that drinking a warm drink after a meal can also help to signify the end of a meal. Sitting quietly with a warm drink is a good way of avoiding over eating or binging.

Eating this one meal everyday will be very anxiety provoking at first but the longer you stick with it the easier it will become. Remember for the fist few days/weeks (depending on what you feel you can manage) all you need to do is just eat your planned lunch even if the rest of the day does not work out.
Once you feel more comfortable with lunch you can then add in breakfast or a snack. From my experience I found that starting with lunch then adding breakfast then adding evening meal or snacks was the easiest order for me. However you may find your recovery works better in a different order. Start where you feel most comfortable.
Remember there is no rush to recover. Go as slow as you need to just make sure that you are moving forward rather than standing still."

Back at the psychiatrists Cat had been sat in there saying a few things but not too much, she wanted this doctor to see right through her.

"So Cat how many times a day do you make yourself sick after meals?"

"8 - 10 times."

"Okay and why that many?"

"I dunno I... I just do."

"Do you know why you are doing it?"

"No."

"Well you know that this behaviour isn't good and hopefully we can think of some other ways to help you cope with your emotions."

"Ok."

Cat lied she didn't really want the help but she had no real say in the matter on what happened now. The session went on for about 15 more minutes and then it came to a end and the psychiatrist said to her.

"Next time we'll start with helping you find other ways to cope okay."

"Okay."

They walked out of the room together back to Ravi, Cat felt okay being back with him again they could just go home. Just as they were about to leave another girl came in she was confident and Cat looked at her and she looked back at Cat they could both tell that they had the same condition but they couldn't talk to each other as she was with Ravi.

"Emily, come in."

"Yeah." Emily said as they went into her room for their session.


After that they both went back and Cat just sat on the living room floor alone it for a while. Hyuk saw they were back and went and sat with her Cat looked so distant from the world like she didn't want to let anyone in to what was going on. He held her hand and she smiled a fake smile but Hyuk didn't know that. Cat already had figured out ways to be sneakier with her bulimia so she didn't have to stop for anyone the truth is she didn't want to stop just because she got found out. 

"How was the psychiatrist?"

"Okay."

"Just okay?"

"Yeah."

"She has a group session tomorrow."

Ravi said bringing her in a drink it was a warm ish day outside and he didn't want her to dehydrate at all. Then Hongbin came downstairs and went in the kitchen with Ravi to talk.

"How did it go?"

"It was alright, Cat has to go to a group session tomorrow."

"Will that help?"

"I hope so."

"You know it might be a while before she stops purging up her food."

"I know and we can't force her to stop either."

"What are we gonna do about meals though?"

"Do our best for now if we can't stop her she'll go into in patient and I really don't want it to come to that at all."

"None of us do Ravi."

Then N walked in and said to them all.

"Just a thought, does Cat hide food in her room at all, I read somewhere that some Bulimia sufferers do that so they can binge and purge in secret?"

"She might do and if she does we'll let her tell us about it."

"Okay that would be the best idea."

"Are you two both sure on that?"

"Yes, Hongbin this is a serious illness she has and it is going to take a long time for her to get better from it."

"Hyungs right, one step at a time and it'll work out."

They all stood there talking and wondering what was going to happen next and if they would start seeing progress with her right away or if it would take a while before things could start to change.