6. Information

Distorted image [A VIXX fanfiction]

Ravi was surprised when he was told they could take Cat home that same evening, he really thought that they'd keep her in overnight but that wasn't the case. The drive home wasn't long but a knife could cut the silence like a cake. Cat stayed in Ravi's arms all the way back to their place. 

When they did get back Cat N and Ravi walked in first to a really worried Leo and Ken N had told them to stay home and that he'd talk to them when they all got back. Ravi took Cat upstairs to her room and N took Leo and Ken into the kitchen Hyuk went to his Room and Hongbin went up to help Ravi.

"Hyung what's going on?"

Ken asked, he cried after he got the call he was that worried. N looked at them both, they knew it was serious but not sure how serious it was.

"As you know we took Cat to the hospital after Hyuk and I found her coughing up blood."

"Yes." Leo replied he was shaking and he didn't even know what was wrong with her yet. 

"Well the doctors looked at her and."

N paused and took a deep breath and then he said.

"Cat has been diagnosed with the eating disorder Bulimia."

Were they hearing this right? Cat, has bulimia Ken started to cry again Leo just sat there he really did not know what to think about this news at all. The shock of hearing those words come out of N's mouth was a little bit too much for Ken to handle and he left the room and sat in the garden.  

Meanwhile Ravi had put Cat in her bed and was her head gently, she was really upset that they all knew now but she would have to worry about that in the morning. Hongbin was standing in the doorway just looking at the pair of them there together Ravi knew he was there and he said to Hongbin.

"Can you take the mirror out of here and put it in my room?"

"Okay."

Hongbin came in and carried the mirror out of the room, and then it was just Ravi and Cat again. He stopped her hair and got into bed with her. The tears welled up in her eyes she hated this so much and just wanted it to all be over. 

"Shhh." Ravi then said wiping her tears away and holding her close to him, she didn't feel any different she wasn't stick thin like Ravi assumed she would be with having the eating disorder and all. Then after a couple of minutes she fell asleep, Ravi just looked at her he was so worried about his life long friend and what he could do for her now. He kissed her head and then said to her softly.

"I'll make it right."

She whimpered and he soothed her once again. She was in real danger and he felt so guilty about it all he knew something had been going on but he never looked into it any deeper than he had been doing like he should of been doing. Then Hongbin came back in the room.

"Is she asleep?"

"Yeah she is."

"Okay, do you need me to do anything else?"

"No it'll be okay now, thank you."

"No need to thank me we'll do anything for her."

"I know, I just wish she had come to me with this."

"Maybe she was scared to tell us."

"Yeah."

"I'll leave you two now okay, I'll see how the others are doing."

"Okay thanks."

"Anytime."

Then Hongbin left and a couple of minutes later Ravi fell asleep. 

As Hongbin walked down the hallway he saw Hyuk's door was ajar, he stopped and wondered how he was doing.

"Hyuk?" He asked quietly 

"Come in." Hyuk replied sitting behind his laptop screen.

"What are you doing?" Hongbin asked walking over and then Hyuk showed him the screen. He was on a medical web page which read.

"Bulimia nervosa is an eating disorder characterized by binge eating and purging, or consuming a large amount of food in a short amount of time followed by an attempt to rid oneself of the food consumed (purging.) 

People who have bulimia try to control their weight by severely restricting the amount of food they eat, then binge eating and purging the food from their body by making themselves sick or using laxatives. 

Everyone has their own eating habits, for example, people with a food intolerance need to avoid eating certain foods to stay healthy. However, people suffering from eating disorders tend to use their eating habits and behaviours to cope with emotional distress and often have an abnormal or unrealistic fear of food, calories and being fat. 

Because of this fear, people with bulimia nervosa tend to restrict their food intake. This results in periods of excessive eating and loss of control (bingeing), after which they make themselves sick or use laxatives (purging). They purge themselves because they fear that the bingeing will cause them to gain weight, and usually feel guilty and ashamed of their behaviour. This is why these behaviours are usually done in secret.

Warning signs:

Signs and symptoms of bulimia (bulimia nervosa) center on the preoccupation with weight and body shape.

Guilt and shame are core symptoms of bulimia. Someone who is bulimic, like a person suffering from anorexia and other eating disorders, judges him- or herself harshly for any perceived flaw.

Despite a bulimic's efforts to conceal the symptoms of an eating disorder, certain warning signs of bulimia are typically visible:

- Depression
- Anxiety
- Social isolation
- Having a distorted, excessively negative body image
- Preoccupation body shape and weight

Symptoms:

In a man or woman with signs of bulimia, symptoms of increasing physical damage from the disease may include:

- Abnormal bowel functioning
- Bloating
- Dehydration
- Fainting
- Seizure
- Fatigue
- Dry skin
- Irregular heartbeat
- Menstrual irregularities or loss of menstruation (amenorrhea)
- Tingling in the hands or feet
Muscle cramps

A psychiatrist or other eating disorder treatment provider will look for the following combination of bulimia symptoms to confirm the diagnosis:

- Obsession with body image, weight, and/or dieting
- Repeated binge eating episodes over a specified period of time
- Loss of control during episodes of bingeing
- Purging behaviors follow a binge to attempt to compensate for extra calories consumed

Treatment:

The first step towards getting better is to recognise the problem and to have a genuine desire to get well. This may involve a big change in lifestyle and circumstances.

Treatment usually begins with psychological treatments, aimed to help you re-establish healthy attitudes towards eating. People with bulimia need to explore and understand the underlying issues and feelings that are contributing to their eating disorder, and change their attitudes to food and weight.

Cognitive behavioural therapy

Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is the most common type of psychological treatment for bulimia. It involves talking to a therapist and looking at your emotions in detail to work out new ways of thinking about situations, feelings and food. It may also involve keeping a food diary, which will help determine what triggers your binge eating.

Interpersonal therapy

As with CBT, interpersonal therapy (IPT) involves meeting with a therapist to discuss your condition. However, the focus is more on your personal relationships than your problems with food.

You are more likely to be referred for this type of psychological treatment if you have recently lost a loved one and have experienced a big change in your life. The aim of IPT is to help you establish supportive relationships. This can help draw your focus away from eating.

Hospital treatment

Bulimia is not usually treated in hospital. However, if you have serious health complications and your life is at risk, you may be admitted to hospital. Hospital treatment is also considered if you are at risk of suicide or self-harm."

Hongbin looked at Hyuk and then Hyuk said to him.

"I.. I didn't really understand it so I came online to find out something anything that we can do to help her out."

A tear rolled down Hyks cheek and Hongbin sat beside him and as he put his arm around Hyuk Hongbin said.

"You did the right thing Hyuk any bit of information we can find out right now is helpful to us all."

"I'm just so scared for her, going through this for who knows how long and she said nothing to us, not a word."

"I know the only way I can think about it is maybe we had to find out this way."

"Really?"

"Yeah, she was never going to tell us if she had things her way she would of kept doing it until she died."

"She won't die will she?"

"No, not now we all know and can help her."

"Okay."

Then Hyuk and Hongbin just sat there looking into what else they could do to help Cat out to recover from the bulimia she was suffering with. It wasn't going to be easy they all knew that and there was a high chance of Cat relapsing but the main focus for now was getting her help right away.