Nothing

EQUAL

[Kim Tae Bi's POV]

                “23…24…25…”

                25 seconds. It was 25 seconds. I was looking into my husband-in-dreamland’s perfect eyes for 25 seconds. What made me hit the jackpot was when he let his precious white hankie touch my disastrous face. Oh gods, what else could I ask for? Suga’s arm was wrapped around my shoulders. I don’t want this to end.

                “I’m…I am sorry,” I finally spoke because I felt guilty, too for wasting his golden time. I just hope he won’t consider me a sasaeng fan. The insane fans out there were the ones who kept on pushing me and even kicked my back because I was blocking their view of BTS. Well excuse me, I came here first. Because of their stupidity, I ended up flying here with my aching back and legs. Worse is, I stopped Suga from following the other members and their high-tempered manager. That’s why I couldn’t say anything but “I’m sorry”. Suga saving me from a very bad fall is enough.

                Our intense look at each other’s eyes lasted for 25 or more seconds only because a guard forcefully grabbed my arm and carried me away from Suga and the monster crowd. Some were staring at me and there are only 3 reasons why: First, they’re staring because they were thinking that I’m the lucky ARMY who fell on Suga’s arm; second, they’re thinking that I’m the worst type of fan which is called sasaeng fan; and third, they were thinking I’m a criminal because I was carried by an uniformed security guard who’s talking on his walkie-talkie.

                I prefer the first one. However, I couldn’t control everybody’s perception so I just sat down on the bench in waiting shed because aside from I don’t have any idea of what to do, I just realized that I was trembling. I was trembling both because of the pain at my back, legs, and arms, and of course, because of my “skinship” with Suga. Forgive me if I’m using the word “skinship” in a wrong way. That moment was amazing. I will never forget what he has done to me this day.

                “Hey! Kim Tae Bi!”

                Lee So Ah’s loud voice brought me back to reality. I was reminiscing my encounter with Suga when she came and sat beside me, two banners rested on her lap. She’s my best friend and a certified BTS lover like me. We’re friends since second year high school in Maryland, USA. We became buddies after teaming up for a complicated science project when we’re in high school. We experienced exploring inanimate things, came up with weird hypotheses, and stayed up all night in my and her house. Fortunately, after weeks of hardwork and studying, our final project gave us the highest grade in our class. I remembered that we both cried after class and embraced each other for winning the golden apple prize that every team wanted. Since then, our friendship started and we always help each other. Now, it’s growing stronger because we found out that we’re both fan of K-pop. Actually, she’s the first who cling to Hallyu world because of the pop-rock band FT Island, her very first favorite band before BTS came. That band composed of five members visited LA for a concert and So Ah, out of curiosity, bought a VIP ticket for the concert. She told me that she would just try to listen to the music of K-pop and support it because even if her dad is American, she still has Korean blood from her mother. Charmaine Lee is her American name but after she fell in love with K-pop, she wanted to be called by her Korean name, Lee So Ah. She’s the one who influenced me to be a fangirl like her, but I didn’t like FT Island that much so I let myself researched for another band that has better style of music. BTS caught my attention because of their ‘Boy in Luv’ music video. So Ah has been converted into an ARMY because of that song, too, that’s why we both planned to fly back to our motherland after graduating. BTS is the very first K-pop group that I admire because of their unique style. Usually, I observed that most K-pop idol groups’ music revolves around pop and electronic genres only, but BTS has this different approach that really grabbed my attention. They’re more on hip-hop and ‘swag’ genres so it’s really cool and catchy, and should I say pleasing for the ears. Suga’s presence is an additional point. He’s my favorite member in the group. I love the fact that he’s one of the talented people who produce their songs, polish their dance, and even discipline his co-members. So Ah’s bias is Jimin because that guy is really good at dancing and stunts. Because of BTS, she turned her back to FT Island and I felt sorry for them because they just lost one rich Primadonna (the fandom name for FT Island’s fans). Yes, Charmaine Lee is an affluent woman and I admit that she’s prettier than me because of her chic fashion, short platinum blonde hair, light blue eyes and milky white skin. Her magnate parents, who own a middle school in Maryland, encouraged her to join modeling workshops in LA or New York and be a professional model someday, but she refused and went here with me instead. K-pop inspired her to be a radio DJ. She told her parents that there’s success in DJing. She’s currently applying to Arirang radio where Korean DJs speak in English because it is broadcast worldwide. We’re both praying that she would pass the interview next week so that when she became a radio DJ here, she’d have a shining opportunity to have K-pop stars as her special guests, including BTS. I’m so excited for her.

                “You’re now an instant celebrity!” So Ah shook my shoulders with excitement. I got a little bit dizzy. “Suga of BTS caught you in his arm!! And that didn’t end there, for he also wiped off your stubborn tears! Kim Tae Bi, let’s turn back the time and let me get pushed by the crowd, too.” Her eyes were watery like she’s more carried away than me. In fact, she’s more affected than me because she’s very jumpy.

                Then, she noticed I wasn’t freaking out like her so her energy level slowly abated.

                “Why?” I asked, holding her hands.

                “Why?” she answered my question with a question. “Aren’t you happy? Dozens of girls back there wished they were you. But, you don’t seem like enjoying your position,” she placed her hands on the banners, looking a little bit unhappy.

                I took her hands again and she looked at me. “Of course I am more than happy of what happened,” I tried to cheer her up again by patting her back and showing my smile. “Who’s not going to be crazy if the superstar Suga touched you?”

                “But you’re not as happy and proud as me. Is that how you normally got shocked? Sitting here calmly like nothing happened?”

                She didn’t know that my heart was dying inside because of great joy. My face and body were just too lazy to respond because my brain was thinking of something else.

                 I told her what I was thinking. “Honestly, I’m half embarrassed,” I started. She gave me this what-are-you-talking-about stare that I always find cute because her eyes form big O’s. “I’m embarrassed in front of Suga and BTS. You may think that I’m so lucky to fall on Suga because I felt his strong arm and fingers holding my shoulder tightly, but are you considering what he felt when that happened? Maybe he’s thinking that I’m a sasaeng fan who is doing a very bad and dirty job.” I sighed deeply and palmed my forehead. I really hope Suga’s not disgusted of what I’ve had done.

                 I waited for So Ah’s response. She’s staring at me like I’m a crazy woman begging for alms on a side street. Was she offended?

                 “Hey, I’m not saying that you’re a sasaeng fan. What I’m try-”

                She pressed her forefinger to my lips, making me stop from talking. Then, she brought out her phone from her pink pouch to show me something.

                A perfect shot of Suga holding me was taken by So Ah. It’s a candid photo, yet it looked like we had a photoshoot for a movie poster because the way Suga and I looked at each other was so intense, dramatic and perfect. I wasn’t aware of that. We’re both beautiful in the photo. During that time, all I could think of was the word ‘sorry’. My tears were my proof that I was sincere. I cried because aside from the excruciating pain, I felt really embarrassed in front of him.

               “He’s thinking that you’re a sasaeng fan?” So Ah raised an eyebrow then she pointed Suga’s face who’s looking straight into my eyes without a mix of irritation or anger. It made my heart jump because I remembered our 25-second stare again. “He should have thrown you back to the crowd or not catch you if he saw you as a sasaeng fan. But look,” she shook her phone and kept on pointing at our photo, emphasizing her own perception. “Suga didn’t do any of that. He caught you in his arm, wiped your face and scanned your eyes for hours! Sasaeng fan? Are you crazy? That kind of fan doesn’t deserve a treatment like this.”

                She has a point there. However, I’m still bothered of what Suga really thinks of me. Maybe he just did that because many eyes were looking at him and he should have a gentleman image, but when he arrived inside the building, he would curse me. Our contact a while ago means a lot to me. I wonder what it means to him because for a superstar like him, it may mean nothing at all.