Notorious

EQUAL

[Suga's POV]

                Even if we’re done promoting our latest single, BTS still has a busy schedule this week. And today, we’re the guests for Arirang radio. It’s broadcast internationally that’s why all of us prepared for our introductory speech, except for Nam Joon. Among us, he’s the most fluent in English language.

                “Boys, we’re here,” our manager parked the van in the basement of Arirang’s building. It’s nice to have a basement parking lot for idols like us because there are no fans or reporters around. No fans. No Stef.

                We headed to the recording studio where a big signage ON AIR is attached above the glass door. The staff was readying the chairs and headphones we’re going to use. Apink’s Mr. Chu was playing in the background and Ho Seok couldn’t stop himself from dancing along like crazy because of his facial expression. Taehyung attacked him, but later on joined the dance because Jungkook’s recording a video.

                A coordinator holding papers told us that we may take our seats because the interview will start in five minutes. She introduced to us the newbie DJ named Charmaine Lee. We all greeted her politely and congratulated her for being the new DJ of the radio show. Before she shared that she’s a fan of ours, I already figured it out because she’s blushing as we met earlier.

                Jin hyung, who’s sitting to my left, elbowed my arm.

                “What?” I asked.

                He minimized his voice so I moved closer. “That new DJ. Charmaine Lee? Isn’t she close to your ideal type?”

                I rolled my eyes because of his nonsense question.

                “Why did you just open up that topic? You want me to focus more on our group’s activities, right? I don’t get you, hyung.”

                We all put on the headphones and waited for the go-signal. But, Jin’s so stubborn.

                “No. What I mean is, you better like this type of girl instead of Stef,”

                “Enough with projection, hyung,” my voice went a little bit higher. Jungkook, who’s sitting across from us, looked at me. I thought he heard our conversation and Stef because his eyebrows were furrowed. But thankfully, Jimin caught his attention. I looked again at Jin. “Admit it. You like that DJ. Don’t get me involved and Stef.”

                He wasn’t able to say his answer because Charmaine started to speak and greet the listeners with her good English speaking skill. Even though this is her first time to lead a radio program, she speaks like a pro and that’s impressive. I agree with Jin for 25%, because the DJ is really attractive.

                “We’re currently trending on Twitter because of our guest today. The top idol group, BTS!”

                We clapped our hands and cheered, excited to have bonding with ARMY again.

                Nam Joon started the introduction in English.

                “To Arirang radio listeners and our dear ARMY. 1…2…3… We’re”

                “BANG-TAN!” we all followed. “Annyeonghaseyo, we’re bulletproof boyscouts!”

                Charmaine applauded and praised the style of our introduction. We also clapped and thanked her. There’s a fraction of awkwardness because this is our first time to meet her.

                “Now that the manly boyscouts are here, make sure to send your questions to our website or official Facebook and participate in our ‘Instant quiz-instant prize’ segment later with Jin, Suga, J-Hope, Rap Monster, Jimin, V and Jungkook.”

                The flow of the program was good and full of laughter. Every song-break, one of us would go to the restroom, others would take selca, and Jin would never stop teasing me. Many fans have requested me to rap, reveal a member’s secret, rank the members in terms of their dancing abilities which I found fun because I was able to put Jin at the last place, say my ‘saranghae’ to many names, and more stuff that an idol should do to satisfy the fans. But, during the question-and-answer portion, I was expecting for a light and easy question just like the other members received. Instead, this is what a fan asked me:

                “To Suga, why are you not included in the first special episode of Bangtan Bomb where BTS transformed into cosplayers? We’re all looking forward to what costume you wore that day. Why aren’t you in the video? BTS, fighting!”

                A memory flashbacked. The day I cried in front of a food stall while I was wearing Lili’s costume. I really wished I never cried because it means I’m weak. Good thing, I was disguised as a girl. I also didn’t know why I cried, but my heart told me that forgetting Stef is not the right thing to do. We’re both human so there’s nothing wrong if I love her. I said that to Jin hyung and he told me that he would be willing to help only if Peter is not included in the girl’s life. That Peter is the only strongest thing that hinders me from reaching Stef’s love. Even if forgetting her is not the right thing to do, not loving her is the best thing to do.

                “About my cosplay? Umm…” I was thinking of a good alibi because I couldn’t announce that the reason why my part wasn’t included in the video was because my cry was recorded. It would make the fans worried. Manager decided not to include my part. In fact, I wasn’t also able to give away the two signed albums to anyone. I was the only one who failed the mission.

                Rap Mon kicked my foot to awake my senses because we’re having a dead-air and it’s my fault. Everyone’s staring at me.

                “Oh yes, I was saying that…” I paused again because I’m not sure of what to say or how to explain. “I…my…”

                “Suga was not feeling well that day,” Jin hyung butted in and saved my life. All eyes were on him now and he continued. “Something’s wrong with his tummy that we sent him to the hospital after filming that special episode. Sorry everyone for not telling that to you for a very long time because Suga and the whole BTS don’t want you to worry. He is alright now that’s why he’s here with us today. BTS is happy again. Do not worry, ARMY. Please continue to support us.” He smiled and Charmaine nodded while checking on me.

                “Wow. Your care and love for one another make you shine brighter, BTS. We hope that you’ll stick to each other forever just like yesterday and today,” Charmaine gladly said. We all bowed to her.

                “Yes, thanks for that,” Nam Joon replied.

                “Since we’re now having a sweet and calm atmosphere here, I’ll play BTS’ Haruman to warm your cold hearts. Don’t go away.”

                The song played. We’re just quiet swaying our head, tapping our fingers, and lip-syncing as the soft melody of Haruman went in our ears. It was awkward. Why? Because everyone except the DJ and staff of Arirang radio knew that Jin hyung lied a while ago. Actually, he now lied to everyone. He added a lie to another lie. Jin’s the only one who knows the real reason why I cried during the cosplay day, but during that same day he explained to the members and our manager that my silent cry was due to severe stomachache again. Now, he added that I was brought to hospital, but each member knows that the hospital ride never happened. It’s another lie. A white lie.

                I worriedly looked at Jin, expecting him to look embarrassed or sorry because of what he has done. But to my surprise, he’s sitting calmly on his chair with crossed legs and appreciating the music. Wow, he’s a cool charlatan.

                “You’re a terrible liar,” I whispered to him.

                “But, I’m a good friend,” he smiled.

                He was right. If he didn’t do that, everybody would be suspicious and think that I’m hiding something from the members. Jin’s a good friend of mine. I was worried, what if it’s not Jin hyung who noticed my love for Stef but the other members? Would it be chaotic if Ho Seok, Nam Joon, Jimin, V, or Jungkook noticed it? They will reveal it right away, I’m sure. Very opposite to what Jin hyung’s doing for me. I am thankful that Jin is the one who’s on my side.

                “Thanks, hyung,” I patted his shoulder and he smiled, showing off his never-fading charm.

                                            -------------------------------------------------------------

                Time flies so fast because I wasn’t aware of our 1-hour stay in the studio. The fun, jokes, laughter, and revelations seemed like forever. We’re all so carried away by the fans’ comments, requests, questions, and messages. This is the reason why I love attending interviews and reality shows- I tend to forget all my problems.

                Our turn to Arirang radio has ended and we congratulated once again DJ Charmaine for having a successful and memorable first day of work. Jin hyung personally thanked her for taking good care of us. He also got her phone number and I just sighed about that. It’s very obvious that he admires the rookie DJ because he kept on praising her way of hosting a radio program.

                Our manager called our attention for a picture-talking with Charmaine and Arirang’s logo as our background.

                After that, everyone thanked one another. Manager was still talking with the director so he told us to wait outside the recording room. I was left inside because Charmaine called me. I wondered why.

                “Please accept this,” she showed a small gold-coated box to me. “My best friend, Stef, is a huge fan of yours. To be honest, you’re the very first superstar whom she gave a gift.”

                “Stef?” I asked, thinking of the only Stef I know.

                “Yes. Do you remember the girl you caught near KBS’ building? She-”

                “Stef?” I wasn’t smiling but deep inside me, I was jumping for joy and my heart was racing crazily because we’re both thinking of the same Stef! Charmaine is related to Stef so I could feel her presence even if she’s not around. Here we go again. I was in the midst of forgetting her, but her name suddenly came up and it’s hard for me to go away. Everything about Stef really interests me.

                “Yes. Stef. That’s her name,” she gave me a questioning look. But didn’t mind and took the gift.

                Then, I remembered something. I looked at Charmaine.

                “The friend you greeted a while ago. Kim Tae Bi? Is that her Korean name?” I asked, working hard not to express my excitement because manager’s here and might notice I have feelings for her friend. No wonder Stef’s a rich kid because she has a Korean-American DJ friend. And Peter.

                “Yes. She’s Kim Tae Bi. And as I said, she’s a fan of yours,” she finally got back her smile.

                I asked the question I shouldn’t ask. “Today’s your first day, why didn’t you bring her here with you? I mean, she’s your friend and you need her support, right? Aren’t you allowed to have visitors here?”

                She shook both her head and hands. “No. No. Of course we’re allowed to invite a friend here,” she looked down to her hands as if she committed a crime and felt very sorry. “I really wanted her to come here but she told me that she couldn’t go because of work. She’s always busy but she promised me that she would listen to today’s program to support me and you guys.”

                I looked at the box that came from Stef. It’s disappointing to know that she’s busy and wasn’t able to come here and see me. I hope she won’t get exhausted and continue to listen to our music to relax herself.

                “Tell her thanks for this and always take care,” I bowed to her and headed outside.

                My feet abruptly stopped from moving and my whole body froze to what I saw coming to my direction.

                “Oh hi there!” Charmaine excitedly ran to the door to greet the person who’s holding a bouquet of red roses. The DJ shyly accepted the flowers and the staff clapped their hands. The other members were looking at them from the outside. I couldn’t read Jin hyung’s expression right now. And I was thinking that we have the same reaction.

                My fists clenched and I shook with anger when Charmaine and the guy shared a very deep and long kiss that only couples do. I can’t believe it. That guy who just came in with group of ugly flowers was none other than Peter.