He’s Back

EQUAL

[Kim Tae Bi's POV]

                “I’ll see you soon. I just bought a gift for So Ah in Etude.”

                Happiness blossomed in me as I was talking with Peter Woods, my boyfriend who’s going to arrive in Seoul in ten minutes. He went back to Maryland last month to consult the electronics company, Lutron, he inherited from his deceased father. Lutron Electronics, Inc. has also a branch in Gangnam and Peter chose to work there instead in America so that he can always look after me here in Korea. He’s just in time because today’s Lee So Ah’s birthday. The three of us will be reunited after a month of separation. We’re originally best friends because we’re classmates since junior high. Peter and So Ah were neighbors in Maryland so So Ah let me meet him and we started to be friends until Peter announced to our batchmates before the graduation ceremony that he was a “victim” of love-at-first-sight because of me. He’s a man full of mushiness that’s why I love him so much. I believe that he’s the mr. Right for me.

                “Take care, Stef. See you soon,” he said before hanging up.

                It’s nice to hear my English name again mentioned by Peter. It made me smile even if I’m not speaking to anyone anymore. He’s the only person here in Korea who calls me by that name.

                I walked outside Etude House to grab a taxi again heading to airport. Lucky me because a yellow cab was parked at the front, waiting for a passenger to come.

                I hopped in behind the driver’s seat and closed the door. When I looked at the rearview mirror, a weird-looking driver showed up. His whole face was completely engulfed; huge sunglasses that covered his eyes and half of the forehead; surgical mask wrapped his lower part of face; and black cap on top of his head.

                Even if I couldn’t see his eyes, I knew he’s looking at me through the mirror. Just then I realized he’s waiting for what I’m going to say.

                “Sorry sir, but is this a taxi?” I politely asked. This must be a taxi because it’s color yellow and has the information of operator written on the doors outside. However, the driver is a big question mark. Meanwhile, he nodded and I told him to take me to Incheon Airport.

                                                  ------------------------------------------------------------------

                The 15-minute ride seemed like hours because I was so uncomfortable in the taxi especially with the faceless driver. Bad thoughts kept on emerging like he might be a psycho killer; this cab was carnapped by him; he might take me to unfamiliar places; or point a gun to me.

                I now admit that that I’m a very bad woman because I was thinking of foolish things towards the driver who safely drove me to airport. I am so, so bad for thinking of him like that. But come to think of it, what’s the purpose of covering your whole face? Only criminals do that right? Or celebrities who are trying to hide their identities just like in dramas? You’ve got to be kidding me. Why would a celebrity drive a taxi if he/she can drive a more luxurious car? And why he/she would take me as a passenger? Nonsense thoughts.

                I paid the driver and told him to take care so that my guilt inside will be washed away. Then, I got off with an Etude paper bag. I put aside all the thoughts I have about the enigmatic driver while walking inside the huge airport. What’s with the mask? What’s with the glasses? The cap? What’s wrong with him? I found him scary but why did he take me here safe and sound? Am I so judgmental?

                “Stef,”

                I startled when someone touched my shoulder. It’s Peter. Thank God. I feel absolutely safe and calm right now. He’s back.

                “Peter,” I pulled him for a tight embrace and smelled his favorite American perfume on his long coat. “I missed you.”

                He caressed my long hair and patted my back gently. “Peter missed you, too.”

                Nothing can beat my love for Peter Woods. The way he touches me and speaks to me is perfect and really heart-warming. He is my real happiness even if I’m a die-hard fan of BTS. BTS is my inspiration, Peter is my love. I can live without inspiration but I cannot survive life without love. In fact, that inspiration of mine is always far for me to reach. Peter is always by my side.

                “Shall we go to the party?” Peter asked while his hands are on my cheeks and we’re still close to each other. His army green eyes are now black because of contact lenses. I suggested an eyeglass for his poor eyesight but he told me that he didn’t like reading glasses because it makes him look old, so he just buys contacts monthly. For me, wearing glasses or not he’s still handsome.

                I showed him the pink Etude bag and smiled, “So Ah doesn’t like parties. Simple gifts will do.”

                “And soju,” he whispered to my ear naughtily and we both giggled. People around us were looking so I held his hand and we headed to a fine-dining restaurant inside the airport for dinner.

                                                   --------------------------------------------------------------

                It’s 8:30 PM and the airport is still packed with people, mostly were foreigners. This is one of the places in Korea where people never runs-out and skyscrapers never sleep. Lots of luxurious cars and yellow cabs were crawling, waiting for passengers and random people.

                I sold my two Chevrolets back in Maryland and donated the money to an orphanage because I don’t want to bring my cars here. It’s hassle. My mom told me to buy a car here so that I won’t be tired of commuting. I said that I’m fine and the streets of Seoul are clean and beautiful so I rather walk or take taxis. Peter has an SUV here so I think it would also help.

                But, right now, we’re going to take a taxi because his SUV is parked at his house. It’s not been used for a month. When he reached Maryland, he called me right away to apologize for forgetting to lend his car key to me. I said that it’s alright because it’s not my car.

                We reached the exit and Peter beckoned to an idle taxi. I helped him with his baggage to put it inside the cab’s compartment. The driver went out and I surprisingly grabbed Peter’s elbow because of what I saw.

                “What’s wrong, Stef?”

                Nothing’s amiss, but the driver. He’s the same driver I encountered earlier, complete with his face outfit. Sunglasses during nighttime is a very bad idea. I looked at the other taxi drivers around and saw that their faces were not covered completely. What’s with this guy?

                “Nothing,” I told Peter, not taking off my eyes from the driver who’s also looking at me.

                He went out of the cab to open a door for us with respectful gestures, as if he’s a chauffeur.

                I was the first to get in. Peter closed the compartment at the back and was going to follow me when the driver shut the door.

                I panicked and planned to escape. But, the door beside the passenger’s seat opened. Peter went in and looked back to me. He smiled, but I didn’t.

                “Stef, are you alright?” Peter reached for my hand. The driver sat on his seat and started the engine. My heart never ceased to beat rapidly and I felt like I’m going to cry. I’m so afraid of the driver even though he’s not doing anything wrong. Why is he here again?

                “Hansol Oak Valley,” Peter told the mysterious driver the address of my condominium and the car moved. I worried more because my address was exposed.

                I held on tight on Peter’s hand to seek for calmness. But, sitting in this enclosed taxi again makes me nervous so much. I looked at the driver again to see him driving calmly and quietly just like before. Why do I feel so scared? I shouldn’t worry. Maybe he’s just sick that’s why he has to cover his whole face.

                “Peter, why didn’t you sit here beside me?” I spoke, fighting the slow and suspense music playing on the radio. Actually, it’s making the situation worse.

                Peter glanced at the silent driver beside him before answering me.

                “The driver told me that it’s best for me to sit here to have a better view of Seoul in the evening. Right, sir?”

                The driver showed a thumb-up. With that, I figured out that he can understand English. It’s another proof that he’s not a bandit.

                       --------------------------------------------------------------

                We arrived safely at Hansol Oak Valley despite my trembling heart and body. And because of the bedlam in my head, I didn’t realize that it’s raining outside.

                The driver was the first to get off with an umbrella and opened the door beside me. My knees were still shaking, it’s either because of the cold or the faceless guy waiting for me outside in the rain.

                I grabbed my gift for So Ah and got off.

                “AH!!”

                I slipped once I went out of the cab and the paper bag accidentally flew away from my hand. I predicted that my head would hit the of the taxi with a loud thump. But, I was wrong.

                It seemed like a déjà vu to me when the driver caught me from a bad fall. His arm on my shoulders and the way we looked at each other even though there’s sunglasses were all familiar.

                I couldn’t stop myself from raising my left hand to his cheek. I wanted to see his face and hoped that he’s the guy I’m thinking right now. The only guy who also caught me like this.

                My fingers touched his sunglasses’ frame and I was about to take it off when Peter grabbed my wrist and forced me to get up.

                I felt very sorry for what I’ve done. I could feel Peter’s jealousy when he wrapped his arm around my shoulders and held me tight in front of the driver.

                The wet guy lowered his head and he handed to me the pink paper bag that is now red because it’s all wet, too. Poor gift. I hope the creams and the make-up kit aren’t also soaked.

                Peter was faster than me at getting the paper bag from the guy.

                “It’s a bad weather,” Peter said, directing his words to the driver. Then, we went inside the building.

                “Are you alright?” Peter caressed my cheek and never let me go.

                I just nodded. But honestly, I think I’m sick. How could I be alright if I suspected a very good guy as a criminal? Just because his whole face was covered it would already mean that he’s a bad man? What if he’s just protecting his identity?

                I looked back to the glass doors to see the yellow cab moving away from here and later, gone in the rain.

                I wanted to run after the driver but it’s too late.

                “Suga,” I whispered and a tear fell from my eye.