Let Go

EQUAL

[Kim Tae Bi's POV]

                “What did you say, miss?” I nervously asked the girl who’s wearing Lili’s costume in front of our stall. She’s not moving and has a poker-face. To me, it seemed like she’s close to tears. A while ago, she spoke twice but I wasn’t able to hear it because the photographers behind us were noisily calling the attention of the most beautiful cosplayers in the park. I was thinking that, maybe, this beautiful lady standing still in front of me was just showing an innocent pose for the cameramen. But later on, I saw tears starting to fall from her covered eyes.

                “Miss, are you alright?” I wanted to know why she’s crying silently with that unreadable facial expression. So, I started to walk close to her, but suddenly a yellow-haired guy came and put his arm around the girl’s shoulders. He’s also a cosplayer and I could identify that he’s Sanji from One Piece because of his suit, wig and cigarette on his mouth. Except for the sunglasses. They looked like a couple because of those sunglasses.

                “My dear Lili here is crying because she’s a huge fan of small pancakes. Let’s call it tears of joy,” he told me and smiled as he rubbed the girl’s shoulder to comfort her. “Can you give us 20 pieces of your pancakes and 20 pieces of Hangwa.” He ordered and brought out his black leather wallet.

                I was reluctant at first. How could a person cry like that just because of her love for pancakes? I’m fond of lasagna but I don’t remember crying whenever it’s served in front of me. There must be a more realistic reason behind those tears.

                After putting in the boxes their order, I handed it to the guy. Then, they went away. The lady remained her head bowed down as they walk. I wonder what’s wrong.

                “TAE BI! TAE BI! KIM TAE BI!”

                Even if I couldn’t see her from the crowd, I could still recognize So Ah’s megaphone-like voice calling my name. She was busy taking pictures of hot-looking guys out there that’s why I was left alone here.

                I looked around and spotted her easily because she’s the only person who’s running towards me. She’s waving a black paper bag up in the air like there’s something very special in it. I don’t know where she got that.

                “Calm down, So Ah,” I held her shoulders once she reached our stall. “What’s happened? And what’s this?” I let her catch her breath first as I checked what’s inside the bag.

                To my surprise, it’s a signed album of BTS. I quickly took it out and the bag fell on the floor.

                “Charmaine Lee, where did you get this?!!!” my voice was full of joy and excitement. Is BTS here? Are they going to perform tonight here? If so, I think this is the right time to give my gift for Suga.

                “Tae Bi, let me sit,” she’s gasping and acting like she’s going to collapse. I helped her sit and knelt in front of her. “I saw my Jimin, Tae Bi. I just saw him. My Jimin is here. Oh gods, he’s here. Oh Jimin.” She’s going to cry as she snatched the album from me and embraced it.  

                “Wait, you’re also saying that BTS is here?” I asked, my eyes were wide. “Where are they, So Ah? Tell me. Let’s go to them.”

                Sadly, she held tight on both my shoulders and shook her head.

                “I don’t know where they are now, Tae Bi. Honestly, it was just Jimin whom I saw. He’s one of the cosplayers here. He’s disguising as Lelouch.”

                I looked around to check every Lelouch roaming. Unfortunately, they all looked the same except for their different costumes.

                “How did you recognize him? There are so many people there imitating Lelouch?” I curiously asked.

                “Of course, I can distinguish Jimin and typical cosplayers. Even if he’s full-covered, I could still tell that he is Jimin of BTS,” she stood up and stared down dreamily at her prize. How lucky she is.

                “So that’s it? You just saw him? But how? I mean, how did that happen?”

                “Imagine his smile, Tae Bi.”

                And I did. Among BTS’ members, Jimin is the only one who has this contagious smile. When he smiles, you couldn’t help but smile too. His charisma vanishes but it’s quickly replaced by a cute aura when his eyes start to form crescent-moon shape.

                “What about his smile?” I asked.

                “His smile hypnotized me. Even if his sunglasses were hiding his eyes, his unique smiled called my attention. I was 100% sure that he’s Park Jimin so I ran towards him and poked his back,” So Ah’s blushing so much as if she’s still seeing Jimin in front of her. “Believe me, Tae Bi, he’s still oozing with hotness even if long hair doesn’t fit him that much. I was right, of course. It was Jimin when he looked at me. He nodded and gave me this.”

                “How come you didn’t scream and shake the whole park?” I got curious because my best friend here would always shout at the top of her lungs when she sees BTS and Jimin.

                “I really, really wanted to do that, But, I thought that if I did that, everybody would look at us and recognize Jimin, too. Then, they would all ask for his picture and even take him away from me. I never wanted that to happen so I calmed myself first before approaching him.  See? I did the right thing, right? Look, I received this as my prize for being a quiet fan. Take note, Jimin of BTS was the one who gave this to me so it’s a jackpot.”  She, again, hugged the album with eyes closed.

I felt so happy for her. But why was it only Jimin who’s here? Where are the others? Where’s Suga? I looked at my satchel where my gift for him is kept. I wished I also had a chance to see my bias wearing a costume, too.

                “We’re now fair, Tae Bi,” So Ah poked my shoulder. I asked why. “Because you had an eye contact with your Sugahero and I also had eye contact with my Jimin even if he’s wearing glasses. We’re the luckiest ARMYs, my friend.”

                She’s right, but I still think that I’m the worst fan of BTS because of what happened back in KBS’ headquarters. Other ARMYs were thinking that I’m lucky, but for me, it’s an embarrassing experience because Suga might think that I’m a sasaeng. I’m sure he hates me for that. That memory is still heavy in me, but why do I feel like he’s always near to me? Why do I keep on assuming that the weird taxi driver from weeks ago was him? I’m insane. Suga would never ever do that because I don’t mean anything special to him. That driver was just a man full of pimples on his face. Let’s just think of that.

                “You are lucky to have that album,” I replied to So Ah.

                She shook her head and held my hand. “Not just me. You’re also lucky because your picture with Suga trended on Twitter before. Every ARMY knows you because of that scene.”

                I didn’t answer and just smiled. Even my best friend couldn’t understand what I’m feeling towards that photograph.

                                           ----------------------------------------------------------------

                Today marks the most important day for my dear friend Lee So Ah. This morning, I went to her unit which is next to mine to help her prepare for her first day as Arirang radio’s new DJ.

                Both of us were so excited. Who’s not going to be crazy if your first radio guest is BTS? God is so good to us because it seemed like we often get the chances to see and feel BTS in the flesh. Lee So Ah here, of course, is the luckiest because she didn’t just receive a signed album from Jimin, she’ll also have the opportunity to speak with BTS on air. That’s her ultimate dream that both of us were praying to be granted someday. And today is the day that she will reach that goal. I am very, very happy for her.

                “I’m truly sorry, Tae Bi. I really, really want you to come with me and witness my first radio broadcast and see BTS, but the director didn’t allow me. I’m so sorry,” So Ah said the same words again that she already said yesterday and last night. I already answered that it’s alright because I could listen to the radio in my unit and send cheering messages for her and BTS online. However, she never stopped apologizing to me as if it’s a mortal sin to her for not taking me there with her.

                I patted her shoulders and held on it. I looked at her eyes and saw how nervous she is despite the exciting job that awaits her.

                “Charmaine Lee, you don’t have to be super apologetic just because I cannot go with you and see BTS together,” I sincerely said. Her shoulders relaxed for a bit. “Today, you’re only allowed to feel happy, excited, charismatic, eloquent, and organized. No space for guilt and anxiety. Remember that there are lots of people who want to be in your position. Prove to them that you deserve what you’ve got. You are Charmaine Lee who came from a rich family and is very fluent in English. Being an Arirang radio DJ suits you, believe me,” I ended my speech with a smile.

                “I can’t tell the difference between Lee So Ah and Charmaine Lee,” she said, sounding like it’s a question.

                I raised my eyebrows and explained, “Well, Lee So Ah is the very-obsessed-to-BTS type of girl who sacrifices golden hours just for the sake of going to music shows and all day support the boy group. Charmaine Lee, on the other side, is brighter and she’s more educated and civilized than So Ah.”

                I was sure that didn’t sound corny because she gave me a very warm hug.

                “Thank you, my friend. You encourage me today. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.”

                Now, that’s a relief.

                Then, we both went out to wait for an elevator. I almost forgot to give her my gift for Suga. I was thinking that I won’t be able to see him again in person this week and for the following weeks because I’ll be busier in my work which includes volunteerism and donating. This is the right time to send my farewell gift for Suga. That box contains a simple white towel where the name SUGA is stitched on the bottom part. I planned to give him that to send my apologies for letting his handkerchief touch my face before. I still felt guilty about that. He shouldn’t let his precious hankie wipe my tears back then.

                “So Ah, can you hand this Suga before or after their segment?” I requested and gave the small box wrapped with gold paper to her.

                “Sure,” she put it in her satchel then gave me a surprised look. “Wow, Tae Bi. This is your first time to give a gift to an artist. I really influenced you. I’m so proud of myself.”

                I smiled but didn’t tell her that it could also be my last gift because I’ll start to focus more on giving gifts to the needy.

                One of the elevators opened. It’s empty and heading down.

                “Good luck on your first day, my friend. Control your fangirl character,” I embraced her again to supply her more confidence.

                “I promise to greet you on air and I’ll treat you a delicious dinner later. Invite Peter,” she beamed and walked inside the elevator.

                We both waved our hands before the doors slid. I stared at the decreasing glowing digit beside the door and hoped that my farewell gift in So Ah’s bag will be successfully delivered to Suga. It’s time to put aside my fangirl character and start focusing on my exciting and fruitful job. It’s time to move on and let go. 

[END OF CHAPTER 6]

(Author's Note)

I deeply apologize to my readers for the mistakes. As I review my chapters, I find typographical errors and many many types of errors. Please understand. I edited some of it already. I am really sorry for making you confused or hesitant. I promise to beautify every upcoming chapter. So, please look forward to it. Have a nice day! :)