Lucky

EQUAL

[Kim Tae Bi's POV]

                It’s Monday and it’s no surprise that number of people n the Park today is lesser than during weekends. So Ah wasn’t able to prepare Hangwa so my pancakes are the only product I’m selling today. I see that she’s getting busier because of her work. I understand it since her DJing is more important than cooking Hangwa.

                My friend, Sugar, and I had a very memorable week not so long time ago. Our chats contained our personal stories, jokes and even concerns. I told her that I was a fan of BTS especially Suga. Then, she excitedly wrote down on her white board that most of her friends are also fans of the hip-hop group. I asked her if she’s a fan, too, but she answered me with a smiley only. I considered that as a yes. The next day, she brought 20 pieces of Polaroid shots of Suga. 6 of it have Suga’s signature. Plus, 3 more polaroids of the whole BTS. What made it more special? All those pictures were not released online. Sugar gave it to me and said that all of it came from her ARMY friends who were very lucky to collect those pictures. They planned to share some of their polaroids with me, so I thanked them through Sugar. I was so lucky to receive those photos. Even if I couldn’t update myself about BTS recently, I’m fine with that set of pictures especially Suga’s. His different pose and cute smile brighten up my mood more. If Peter didn’t come, I could see myself chasing Suga and be a certified sasaeng fan for him. Thankfully, my boyfriend showed up and I became a disciplined Kim Tae Bi.

                Sugar proved to me that she’s really a sweet and genuine friend because every time she came to my stall, she’s always carrying a bag full of snacks, food, and bottles of cold water just for me. That’s one of the reasons why our friendship is going stronger. Even if we just bond for a week, it seemed like we already know each other for years and started caring for each other.

                However, after that wonderful week with Sugar/Brown, my days became incomplete. I felt like something’s missing. I was uncomfortable and everyday expecting for her to come. She suddenly disappeared. We’re not seeing each other for one and a half weeks now. I wondered why, but I just told myself that she’s just busy in her office like So Ah. She wasn’t given enough time to visit me here and endorse LINE using Brown’s mascot. I wanted to call her phone number that I already saved on my phone, but I couldn’t. She cannot speak. I wanted to ask how she is because we’re not meeting for so long. I texted her for so many times but she didn’t reply even a simple ‘hi’. Each day, I was waiting for her to come and make me laugh again like there’s no tomorrow with her silent jokes. Sadly, she wasn’t coming. What makes it more disappointing is the fact that she didn’t say her goodbye on the last day we met. Somehow, I see her as the new Lee So Ah of my life. A day is not blissful without her. I miss her genial presence. I miss Sugar. If she comes back to me, I’ll make sure to see her face and invite her to my place for a dinner. But, what worries me is the question: “When will she come back?”

                                                   ---------------------------------------------

                It’s midday. Back to normal. I’ll buy my snacks and drinks in my own because Sugar’s not here anymore. For a moment, I closed my stall and was about to lock the door when I heard a sound of shaking plastic.

                “Suga-”

                My excitement to see Sugar quickly melted down and I got embarrassed in front of a stranger who’s holding a whit plastic bag. I thought he was Sugar.

                The middle-aged guy greeted me and we bowed to each other.

                “Miss Kim Tae Bi?” he asked me and I nodded shyly. How did he know my name? “My co-worker, Sugar, told me to deliver this to you. You’re her friend, right?”

                Hearing Sugar’s name, my heart got tickled and made me smile. Although she’s not with me today, I could feel her presence through her co-worker in front of me.

                “I am,” I responded and slowly took the bag. I looked inside it and saw sandwiches and drinks. There’s no doubt that these snacks were bought by my dear friend Sugar. How could she not forget me despite our busy schedules? She never fails to share sweetness.

                “She also wanted to say this to you,” the man showed a short message written on a piece of paper. It’s Sugar’s poor handwriting.

                [Open your stall. I want to help you.]

                “Oh, Sugar,” I whispered and I wanted to cry. I was touched by her message. I thought she already left me and would never come back because I haven’t seen her for weeks. But, this message of hers gave me hope. She will return and we’ll have fun again. “Tell her thanks. And, I’ll wait for her.” I told to the man who’s smiling happily at me. He could see how happy I was.

                “You are so lucky to have her, miss Tae Bi,” he said. I nodded and he continued. “There are so many things about hi…her that you still don’t know. She’s more than of what you think of her.”

                I have no idea of what he’s talking about. “Why? Is she a daughter of a successful businessman? What do you mean by ‘she’s more than of what you think of her’?”

                He smiled again but I remained curious. What are those things that Sugar’s not telling me about her? She already told me that her life is simple yet, beautiful. I forgot to ask her to expound that.

                “I’ll let her tell those things to you by herself. I’m just a friend and I don’t have the right to reveal everything. Just promise me, miss, that you won’t leave her, okay?”

                “She’s the one who left first,” I told him the truth.

                He shook his head, “Disappearance doesn’t mean goodbye. Disappearance may also mean preparation.”

                “I don’t get it,”

                He patted my shoulder even if we’re still strangers to each other. “Just don’t think that she left you. That person will come back and never stop caring for you. That bag is a proof that your friendship is still alive.”

                I stared down at the plastic bag and thought of Sugar who only gives me the image of Brown.

                “Please tell her to come here soon without Brown’s costume. We know each other so well but I still don’t know what she looks like.”

                The man just nodded and he walked away. My eyes followed where he’s heading to, expecting to see Brown or unfamiliar girl. I got baffled because the man is a driver of a taxi. I thought he’s a passenger to that cab, but he took his seat on the driver’s place. I never thought that Sugar has a taxi-driver friend and co-worker.

                                          ----------------------------------------------

                Before going up to my unit, I went down to the basement to check my mail box.

                My phone suddenly rang and it echoed in the whole floor because no one’s around. I answered the call first.

                “Tae Bi, hi!” So Ah greeted. I wondered if she’s home already.

                “Hi there. Off from work? I’m at the basement right now, checking my mail box,” I answered.

                “Guess where I am right now?” her voice sounded excited as ever. She’s only like that when she sees BTS or something’s related to BTS. “I am in front of Big Hit’s building with other lucky fans who are chosen to attend BTS’ special anniversary concert on Monday next week. And guess what? I’m here to pick up a ticket for you.”

                I was shocked and couldn’t help but smile. Ticket for BTS’ special concert? Wait there, no one’s expecting for that.

                Last week, So Ah excitedly shared to me that the manager of BTS himself invited her to host the special concert. I was a bit jealous because So Ah’s hitting the jackpot thrice already, but I felt happy for her at the same time because her dream is leading her to an adventurous future. Honestly, I’m proud of her. She told me that Music Core will affiliate to Big Hit on the day of the concert, so next week’s episode of Music Core will focus on BTS’ concert. Only 35 lucky ARMYs will be chosen to be the live audience. I wanted to go and participate, but I have to undergo so many registrations before I become part of the audience. It’s hassle and obviously, I don’t have much time for that because of work. I accepted already that I would just watch the event on TV. However, So Ah here just said that she would pick up a ticket for me. That’s “WOW!”

                “Ticket for what? The concert?” I asked, although I already know the answer.

                “Of course! It’s the only ticket I’ll willingly buy. I used my American power and charisma to get one ticket without any complicated registrations,” her voice sounded like bragging and I giggled.

                “How did you do that, really?” I started unlocking my mail box.

                “I calmly talked with the manager and he promised to give me one ticket only. I thought of you, of course.”

                I screamed and jumped for joy. Thankfully, no one could hear me and the very loud tapping of my heels on the tiled floor. But, I’m sure the people behind those CCTV cameras would think that I’m crazy.

                “Really So Ah?! I’m so excited. You really are going to purchase one ticket for me?” I hope she won’t find me annoying for asking that question repeatedly. I’m like this whenever I’m astounded.

                “Yes, yes, and yes, my friend,” she answered with a laugh. “Now, calm down. I’m doing this because I want you to take a break from your work. My goodness, Tae Bi, since the day you became a regular employee to that job, your fangirl side vanished so fast. I miss that Tae Bi. Allow me to release that side of you again.”

                I nodded. It’s true. Half of me still crave for BTS but I couldn’t show it anymore because of work. It will be a pleasure for me to attend their anniversary concert. No matter what, I will go there because I have a ticket. I’ll put aside my work for a day and give myself a break.

                “Okay. Thanks, So Ah. Thank you so much. Do you want me to order chicken for dinner?”

                “Sure. That’s my favorite. I’ll buy lasagna for you. Let’s spazz and freak out over BTS again when I got home.”

                We ended the conversation, and I remained grinning. I’m very excited to see the ticket tonight. I wasn’t expecting that I would be one of the 35 ARMYs. That’s amazing. Monday, please come quickly.

                I got the mails from the container. Electric and water bills were here along with the sweet letters from the people I helped from different countries. It makes me joyful to know how thankful and successful they are right now as I read their messages for me.

                A rolled long glossy paper with red ribbon on the middle caught my attention. I brought it out from the mailbox and a small white envelope fell.

                I put the other letters in my bag and picked up the different one from the floor. I looked at its back and saw Sugar’s name, MIN YOON AH.

                Figuratively, there’s electric shock in my body when I saw her name. My dear friend I missed the most sent a letter for me. My dear friend whom I thought left me without saying goodbye made me happy again today. She didn’t just send me snacks this morning, she also sent letter addressed to my condominium. I wanted to cry because of these surprises. It’s not even my birthday.

                I unsealed the envelope and read the message which has Sugar’s handwriting. It was written two days ago.

                Hi Kim Tae Bi,

                Have you been well? Are your smiles still shining as ever? Are your eyes still full of kindness and hope? Is your stall still joyful? Does Namsan Tower still make you calm and relaxed? Yes. Your answer to all my question is YES, right? Well, that makes me complete already.

                To be honest, Sugar, my answer is NO since the day you were gone.

                To be honest, Kim Tae Bi, my mood these past few weeks is not as jumpy like before because we’re not together. I miss you so much. I want to embrace you again, take pictures of you, see you smile, see you laugh, see you serve pancakes, see you sitting beside me, feel your pat and hear your voice. I want to see you everyday.

                The following sentences made me sit on the floor.

                It seemed impossible for Brown to see you again because Sugar’s busy with her another job. Please don’t be sad.

                Then, the words of Ahjussi from a while ago came to my mind: “she’s more than of what you think of her”. What else is Sugar not telling me about her?

                Wherever I am, your presence is always there. Want to know my secret not be sad? Wear the necklace I also sent with this letter.

                I looked inside the envelope again and saw a silver necklace. I took it and saw a metal jigsaw puzzle piece pendant. This is my first time to receive a not-so-stylish necklace because I usually wear necklaces with diamond or gold pendants. Looking at the puzzle piece, I realized that no silver or gold can attract me anymore. This necklace shines brighter and will be forever valuable to me because this contains the pure love of my friend. I’ll treasure this.

                I’m already wearing the same kind of necklace. That symbolizes our friendship so I want you to wear and keep it wherever you are. So, don’t be sad. I am sorry for not showing my face to you. If the right time comes, I’ll come back with a white plastic bag and without Brown’s costume.

                I smiled because she never forgets the white plastic bag containing snacks and drinks. She really is Sugar.

                I’ll try to send more letters for you and jokes to make you smile. Wait for it. I don’t want to say goodbye because I’m always there beside you. Never say ‘goodbye’; instead, always say ‘see you soon’. Kim Tae Bi, see you soon!

PS: Don’t worry about your text messages. I received and read all of it. Call me once you received this letter. If possible, please call me everyday. I want to make sure if you’re always okay. Speak and I’ll listen.

Yours forever,

Suga

                I stared at the name ‘Suga’ and was in deep thought. Did Sugar forget to write the letter ‘r’ because she was in a hurry while writing this letter, or she intentionally wrote that name to make me smile because that’s the name of my bias? Whatever it is, Sugar really made my day. She’s still funny even though only her words are evident.

                I unrolled the glossy paper and to my surprise, it’s a poster of BTS with signatures of the members. No wonder it’s from Sugar’s friends.

                I giggled there alone like insane. Nothing can make me sad again starting today. I have ticket for BTS’ special concert, a signed poster, a letter from Sugar and a new beautiful necklace.

                I stood up and wore the necklace. Now, I feel like she’s really with me. I picked up my phone and dialed Sugar’s number.

                The phone rang and I’m so excited to speak to her even though she couldn’t reply back. At least, I know she’s listening and there’s communication.

                The ringing finally ended because someone answered the call.

                “Hi Sugar!”