Bland

EQUAL

[Suga's POV]

                It was really a nightmare to me when Tae Bi has gone missing. I visited her in Jin’s room first thing in the morning, but I was so disturbed to see that she’s not inside. I rummaged all around the house, even upstairs and the restroom but it scared me to death that she’s not around. So, I rushed outside – my last option. I don’t care searching the whole world for her. When I banged the gate, it’s like the world punched me hard and I was delivered back to my senses. I finally saw her. With Nam Joon. I didn’t acknowledge him and just pulled Tae Bi for a tight hug. The pleasant smell of her calmed me more.

                Her mom’s call, which turned out to be her dad’s, made my eyes open earlier than I expected. I thought that call would bring good news to my girl, but when Tae Bi hung up the phone, her eyes began tearing up. It’s not a good news at all. I could see the total sadness in her eyes even if she didn’t speak a single word. With that, I remained quiet too and embraced her, hoping that this way of comfort would transfer energy to her body. When Tae Bi’s broken, I am more broken inside and out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

             Tae Bi and I walked to the nearest Starbuck’s after freshening up. A lot of people recognized us, although we’re wearing caps to cover half of our face. The morning light helped them to familiarize us and have our photos. Neither of us minded them, but we weren’t holding hands while on our way to the coffee shop. Tae Bi was still downcast so I was giving her this comforting distance. We didn’t talk to each other since she hung up the phone this morning. She didn’t eat breakfast either, making Jin worried. Nam Joon didn’t show up because he stayed inside his room, probably writing songs or whatever that interests him. He had no idea of Tae Bi’s current condition after they separated. Jin hyung asked me what the problem was but he sensed that I didn’t know either. After breakfast, I asked Tae Bi to go somewhere to catch some fresh air, and here we are, inside the cold coffee shop where a few number of customers were staying. Almost all baristas and other customers recognized us but none of them approached us. They were just looking in our direction and whispering.

                We took our seats at the counter, facing three male baristas making frappes and other beverages effortlessly. I chose these seats so that we won’t get disturbed by suspicious people and catch the attention of passersby.

                “I’ll have Macchiato, how about you?” I asked Tae Bi, slaying the long silence between us that makes me feel like I’m a million miles away from her.

                She looked up at the menu on the chalkboard above us. “Mocha Frappe.” She simply said, her eyes still sad, but that made me smile a bit because I heard her voice.

                I walked to the cashier to have our orders taken. After giving me receipt, the female staff asked for a picture with me, and I granted her wish since it would only take a second, but when the other baristas noticed us, I quickly went back to my chair and tapped on my phone, pretending I was busy. Thankfully, they didn’t follow.  

                “I’m sorry,” Tae Bi spoke, and I was so surprised I almost dropped the phone.

                I sat properly to give her my full attention. “No, don’t say that. I respect you and the thing you discussed with your dad. Don’t be sorry. You didn’t do anything wrong to me.” My hand reached for hers, and her eyebrows furrowed not because she’s mad. She’s trying to keep herself from crying. “Tae Bi, I’m always here for you. You know that.”

                “Please don’t say you’re fine with what my dad told me,” she said, her voice cracked and she covered .

                I looked around and there were still few eyes watching us. It’s a wrong idea to take her here and talk about her problem. We have no privacy here, even if we’re in the dorm.  I don’t have a car either. I’m not claustrophobic but the atmosphere was squeezing my chest.

                “Tae Bi, are you fine with this environment? Do you want to transfer?” I sounded like I didn’t mind her last words. I was just concerned.

                She bowed her head for a while and let go of my hand. Her face remained sad, but I couldn’t do a single thing because I’m afraid she would shout at me or get mad or anything like it. I stayed there, beside her. The safest thing to show my unconditional love when everything’s about to crash.

                The barista at the other end of the counter called my name to pick up my order. I stood but halted for a second to take a look at Tae Bi, her head was still down.

                “Thanks,” I told the lady and she smiled; a smile for a normal customer, not for a superstar. Aside from the male crew, she’s the only employee who acts like a real barista.

                I walked back to my seat, and gave Tae Bi her Mocha frappe. Finally, she showed her face again and I felt like giving her a hug. She took her drink and just stared at it with her tired eyes. No, she’s not tired. She’s in her deepest thoughts that I couldn’t hear nor comprehend.

                Then, her eyes looked at me. I was lost in her beauty despite the neuroticism in her aura.

                “I have to go,” she said, and I felt like cymbals hit my head. I held her shoulder, to maintain my balance, and asked where she would go. It took her two minutes before answering me. “Cha General Hospital.”

                “I’ll go with you,” I abruptly suggested. “Wherever you go, take me with you.”

                She bit her lips, trying to keep herself from crying again. I gulped the tears as well as the thought of sobbing in front of her because it won’t help both of us. Whatever bothers her now must be really serious than what Peter Woods did to her. She wasn’t telling me this problem that absorbed her energy, and yet I could already feel the weight of it.

                Without saying another word, she grabbed my hand and we went outside the coffee shop, leaving our unfinished drinks on the table.