Unanticipated

EQUAL

[Kim Tae Bi’s POV]

                It’s been four days since BTS concert happened and I could still feel Suga’s hand. I know what he did is nothing special because right after he’s done with his rap, he put down my hand and just walked back to the stage like nothing happened. Or maybe it’s just me who’s waiting for him to do more? Or, maybe he got offended when I called him ‘Sugar’. But why? Pfft…. I’m just overreacting.

                Anyway, it’s also been four days since my food stall in Namsan Park has been removed. It gave me heartache and stressed mind because I wasn’t expecting that to happen! I did my best in three days to fix the problem and asked for United Korea’s help; however, they kept on telling me to just transfer the stall and renew my permit and more stuffs. IT IS HASSLE. If I work on that, there would be lots of things and people to deal with. It’s exhausting. I asked for Peter’s help because So Ah couldn’t help me, but Peter apologized because he’s also busy with his job. I have no choice but to look for a new place where I could transfer my stall and renew the papers. I’ve decided to do that next week all by myself because right now, I’m bedridden. I’m sick.

                I caught cold last night because it rained while I was walking home from the park and I wasn’t bringing an umbrella that time so this is the result. When I woke up this morning, I felt worse. My runny nose infected my whole body, my head felt heavier like watermelon, eyes burning, hands weak, and I have difficulty in breathing. It feels like the sky punished me for turning into a crazy fangirl last Monday.

                I’m starving because I didn’t cook breakfast or called for food delivery. All I did since I woke up is lie down on the bed and pray for enough amount of oxygen to come in my clogged nose and mouth. Poor me.

                Mom called this morning to tell me that she sent my budget for the month already. I tried my best not to sound sick because she would definitely worry if I did. She would scold Peter for neglecting me, and I don’t want that to happen. Peter is busy with his work. I understand that, but mom won’t.

                                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                Night falls but my fever is not yet dying down. Actually, it’s getting worse and I could feel my whole body burning. My stomach is empty and I couldn’t move that much anymore so I finally called Peter’s number.

                I waited for the ring to stop, but it continued.

                I tried again for the 5th time and even checked if it’s really Peter’s number because he isn’t answering. I looked at the time on my phone and saw that it’s 8pm. Peter must be home at this time because his work finishes at 7. Where is he?

                I called him for the eleventh time. Sadly, still no answer.

                Then, I dialed my best friend’s number. So Ah.

                She’s also off from work now and I know she’s in the next room already. I was waiting for her voice to greet me and talk about BTS once she received my call. But to my surprise, a familiar voice answered instead and she said “Sorry, the number you have dialed is unavailable…”

                “WHY?!!” I shouted desperately. My voice doesn’t sound good anymore just like my whole body. My severe headache gave me the feeling of dying.

                Peter and So Ah are the only relatives I got here in Seoul. But where are they now that I needed them most? I really need them to come here, may it be Peter or So Ah. I just want someone to take care of me because I felt burdened. I wonder what they’re doing because both their phones are not available.

                Just like a lost child, I cried.

                I searched my contacts to look for hope which seemed impossible because most of the people here on my list are in States except for Peter and Stef and United Korea’s director and…Sugar.

                Sugar.

                I stared at her name for so long and my eyes suddenly stopped from crying.

                Should I call her?

                No. She’s not going to help. She’s a very busy lady to the point that she couldn’t show her face to me so why bother?

                But I have no choice.

                Reluctantly, I dialed her number. I wasn’t able to call her this morning so I guess she’ll answer.

                After two seconds of ringing, she answered. Now, that was fast and unexpected.

                “Hi Sugar,” my voice couldn’t go lively anymore even if I wanted to. “I’m sick. Peter and So Ah are busy so they couldn’t come. I-” I coughed and almost dropped the phone. “I’m sorry. I just think I need a companion. I’m weak. Plea-”

                She hung up the phone. I felt incredibly betrayed.

                I threw the phone away because of anger. It scattered on the floor into pieces and I don’t care if it got destroyed or what.

                Why didn’t she let me finish talking? Am I really disturbing everyone? What? Is she busy too? Then go and leave me alone. Don’t make me wait here to see her face and look stupid.

I cried and curled because a great pain is attacking my tummy again. Oh gods, why is this happening to me? I have to hurry to the hospital before I witness my own death alone in here.

                I was sobbing for fifteen minute I guess, due to both pain and loneliness. It’s excruciating.

                Meanwhile, the doorbell rang repeatedly like someone outside my unit is also in a hurry.

                My body is too lazy to get up but I fight it because there may be someone outside who could help me get to the hospital. I got up but my heavy head pushed me down to the floor, causing a loud thud. The noisy doorbell motivated me to crawl towards the door.

                My knees are like liquid so I let my arms push me to the door. I could hear my brain beating.

                I gasped for air once I reached the doorknob and forced myself to get up and open the door.

                Tears and sweat fall down from my head when I saw a very familiar person outside my unit. My eyes weren’t expecting this guest.

                “Faceless driver…”

                I wanted to close the door but my whole body and mind shut down and the very last thing I remembered was falling into his arms.