Cypher

EQUAL

[Tae Bi's POV]

                I woke up to see Suga in his peaceful sleep. It’s dawn because the sun hasn’t risen yet and most people are still asleep at this time, including Min Yoon Gi. We slept not really close to each other because our inclined seats were separated by the handbrake; despite that, it still feels like I’m hugging him because of our holding hands. He’s right, this is better than sleeping in separate rooms. Last night, I was going to ask him to get out of the car with me because I was worried about the boys’ suspicions and some passersby who like looking at their reflection in car’s windows. His words rich with affection urge me to stay in the car alone with him. He loves me since then, I wasn’t a headache to him. All my doubts and worries are completely gone. I am so loved and in love at the same time. Our love is where reality and dreams aligned. Although this place isn’t that comfortable to be a bedroom, I would still prefer this because he is here, my beloved. My eyes moved down to his puzzle-piece necklace dangling from his neck. Last night, I also told him out loud that I love him with all my heart. I just realized that those words were only stuck in my head before, but not expressed out. He deserves to hear what my mind has to say, especially my most cherished ‘I love you’ to him.

                “I’m overflowing with charms, right?”

                His mouth suddenly moved and I was surprised. He’s awake even with those closed eyes.  He knew I was staring at him. But how?

                “Not really,” I joked, and pinched his cheek. His eyes finally opened and I was star-struck, as always. He’s everyday lovely and cute. “Maybe if you paraphrased it to ‘I’m overflowing with swag’, I would accept it.”

                He smiled at me, and my morning has been filled with bliss already. We didn’t do anything but stare at each other’s eyes for a while. I could feel my heart freaking out inside me. The excitement I feel everytime I’m with him isn’t changing, just like when I was attending their fan-meets and concerts before.

                “I’m silently composing a new song in my head right now. Don’t move,” he touched my cheek to steady me, which I found funny. Whenever he’s saying that, I get flattered because it only means I’m a part of Suga’s masterpiece. It’s an honour because he’s a super gifted guy and a talented rapper, the only artist in the whole world I admire the most.

                “As long as there are no bad words in it,” I suggested with a sly smile. Well, there are some songs of BTS I was going to add to my playlist because it sounds good but because of some bad words emphasized, I was forced to delete it. I don’t like hearing bad words. It somewhat disturbs me.

                “What if it goes like this, ‘Damn it, her smile turned me into ice’?”

                I removed his hand from me and sat up. But he grabbed me to lie down again.

                “I was just kidding. Alright. No more words like that,” he chuckled. Why, is it funny to see me get annoyed? This guy is really weird.  “I’d rather say, ‘Her smile could paint the world with love.”

                That sounds corny, but totally sweet. Well, it’s way too better than saying ugly words.

Suddenly, he pushed my shoulders against the seat, and my eyes have gone wide. Why did he just jump to a position like this?

                “You’re getting more and more aggressive these days, mr. Swag,” I whispered, making the atmosphere hotter. I don’t think y sounds are appropriate right now. Whatever he’s thinking, I’m not yet ready for it so I made sure my hands were holding tightly on the hem of my shirt.

                “You look nervous,” he said, and followed it with a low laugh. My cheeks were burning.

                “No, you’re just heavy,” I tried to sound like I was joking but my voice wasn’t participating. I did sound nervous. My heart was beating dangerously fast.  

                He didn’t speak anymore and slowly leaned closer to me. I couldn’t bite my lip because he might think I don’t want to kiss him. I couldn’t close my eyes either because ‘that’ would definitely happen. His eyes weren’t closed either and he seemed as edgy as me. What are we doing? Is he trying to test how easy I am to get loose? This is ridiculous. We’re not yet married, and we’re doing this? No, actually we’re not yet doing it, but we’re getting there. It’s just an inch before our lips would touch. The tip of his nose is on my cheek already. We’ve been kissing a lot lately but we never did what married couples are expected to do.

                Thankfully someone surprised us outside because he’s banging the windshield instead of the windows. We hurriedly parted and Suga’s head got hit by the rearview mirror. I saw Jin peeking through the driver’s window with his serious, judging face. He seemed boiling with anger, and it’s my first time to see him like that. Ever. He looked more scary than my 5th grade terror teacher.

                “Are you alright?” I first asked Suga, and helped him rub the back of his head with my palm. It’s a relief that there’s no bump. So, I quickly get out of the car without waiting for Suga’s permission or whatever. He locked the door but I was able to unlock it by reaching the key. Jin opened the door for Suga and his arms were crossed. We’re so dead. This what made me worry to death last night. I looked around but there were no fans gathering in front the apartment as of now. The sun was just about to rise. I took all my luggage with me, and it was awkward to stop in front of Jin.

                “Manager’s here. He wants to talk to you,” he told me, because he’s looking directly at me. Suga was going to fire his opinion but I cut him. I bowed to Jin as my apology, and then I walked back to the apartment. I was surprised to see Suga running. I thought he’s going to help me with my bags, but he just went ahead of me and ran faster. What a gentleman boyfriend.

               I felt bad for Jin. And for myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                Their manager wants to have a word with me. The only way to hide my fear is to sit properly at the dining area while waiting for him to make coffee. I should not move an inch; otherwise, I would call my mom and ask for help. I wanted to get over this that’s why I agreed to keep Suga in his room with the other members and have a private talk with their manager. I wish he had no idea of me and Suga spending the night together yesterday. Come what may.

                He turned around and started to the table. I thought he was making coffee for himself, but he handed me a cup and settled down with his own coffee. I hope that’s a sign of smooth start of our conversation.

                “Thank you, sir,” I politely said, gliding the coffee cup closer to me. The aroma made me hungry. I wanted Jin to cook for our breakfast while we’re having a talk here, but it’s impolite to excuse myself. Besides, Jin’s brows were still connected. I wonder how Suga is right now. He’s not being tortured by the members, right?

                “So, how are the things going with you and Yoon Gi?” he was the first to speak, as expected. I won’t have the guts to start the conversation. I might change the direction of this meeting and make everything worse.

                “Getting better,” I frankly answered, still with politeness.

                “Don’t the fans and the media bother you?”

                I shook my head and smiled, “Not at all. We’re all fine with that. In fact, Suga’s relationship with me has the approval of the ARMY. The media knows it already. No more rumors. Everything is settled already. Suga and I are enjoying our company everyday. Thanks to you because you brought the reporters here.”

                He seemed amused of what I’ve said because his eyebrows raised, “I should be offended by that because your confidence is too high. It was even an uppercut to me.”

                I didn’t express my apology because it’s my right to say those words in front of his face.

                “But I will see it as bravery,” he told me, making me more surprised. The way he speaks at me and interacts with me are very far from reality. Where’s the manager who acts like the annoying villain? He sounds like talking to an employee instead of a girl who sparked an affair with one of his protégés. “I’m glad to hear both of you aren’t having a hard time these days.”

                “Thank you,” were the only words I was able to utter despite the bundle of questions and attack words in my head. How could he just shift the war mood into a blood compact? I surmise he accidentally pour a potion in his coffee. I don’t feel like drinking mine anymore.

                I silently watched him drink from his cup before continuing, “To be honest and apparently, I was so against to this idea of you and Suga dating. I didn’t know where and when he met you until Jin told me just recently. It made me mad because Yoon Gi kept a secret from me, and he isn’t supposed to do that. I have the right to hear every single thought of my kids.” He spoke of the members like they are really his biological sons. There’s a speck of deep concern from his voice that I somehow felt sorry about. But wait, did I just make myself look like a kidnapper to him? “I tried my best to keep him from you because I was afraid this relationship would bring down the career of the boys,” he pointed down at the table when he said ‘bring down’. I wanted to raise an eyebrow but I controlled myself. I know he’s not yet at the of his story. “Besides, BTS is starting to soar and I don’t want them to fall simply because of this issue. I want them to fall with victorious feeling, not like this.”

                “Since when is love able to crush a person wholly? Did love make you sad? If so, that’s not love anymore.” I bluntly said, trying my best to sound polite but my face and voice were serious. “Loving someone is never a crime, sir. Crime gives a bad wound on a bird’s wing and eventually it would fall down. But love is the bird’s wings. Without those wings, the bird won’t fly.”

                Then, I saw his small smile as if complimenting me about what I have said. That’s an impromptu, honestly. Those words came from my heart, not my mind.

                “I’m grateful to know Yoon Gi picked a clever girl like him,” he told me, and his eyes were also smiling. This time, it’s not fake anymore. He is really happy. Although I wasn’t happy when he used the term ‘picked’. I’m not a candy someone could pick from a candy bar. “Well, to make this short. I realized that I was the only one who opposes to this matter. Everyone likes the news about you and Suga, even CEO Bang Si Hyuk. I found myself fighting alone in a battlefield against the world. I was wrong. So, I want you to know that I am sorry for treating you like a villain in my life. I gave you the worst impression of myself.”

                Slowly, I shook my head like my brain was still buffering. I couldn’t comprehend the manager’s words, but my ears were able to collect it all so I just have to squeeze it inside my brain and let it be processed. He stood up and took his empty cup to the sink. Did he just apologize to a girl like me? Where was his pride? He raised a white flag but why do I feel like I also lose to this battle? Who would think that this conversation would end up like this?

                “You might want to drink your coffee? I think it’s not hot anymore,” he sounded normal. He must be hurt because of his poor pride.

                I also stood up, “I am sorry, sir. I think we both made faults. I apologize, too.” Then, I bowed to him.

                He chuckled, “Sounds fair. Alright then, let’s start anew.” He walked to me and stretched out a hand for a handshake. “Nice to meet you, ms. Kim Tae Bi.”

                In just a second, the huge chunk of burden remaining in my heart has completely dissolved. I accepted his hand and we exchanged smiles. I finally realized that he’s not mean at all. And annoying. “Thank you, sir.”

                “Don’t let him fall,” he said his last reminder before calling the boys out of their room. Of course, I won’t let him fall. I’ll remain as the strong wings for him.