New Friend

EQUAL

[Kim Tae Bi's POV]

                It’s midday. Everyday is beautiful. The aroma of my pancakes continued to invite many customers of all ages. Most of the kids demanded for both pancakes and hangwa so it’s better. The more sales, the bigger help will be given to charity. I became a regular volunteer at United Korea last month because one of the presidents of the organization discovered my hardwork and dedication to volunteerism. When I came back here in Seoul, I really planned to involve myself in serving other people, especially those who are in deep need. So, while fangirling over BTS, I also did search for a job that would suit me and to my interests. That’s when I found United Korea-one of the most trusted and bona fide charities in Asia. Because of its great contributions, I didn’t hesitate to apply and know more about that organization run by prominent people, both Korean and foreigner.

                Fortunately, after sets of interviews and tests, I passed as an intern. My first advocacy work was in Philippines. That country devastated and had been attacked by a super typhoon Haiyan years ago. But still, they’re in great need that’s why even interns of United Korea was sent there to help. Aside from giving relief goods, I secretly donated a large amount of money to the government of Tacloban, Philippines. My heart cried because of joy as I saw how the people there restore their hometown. That scene motivated me to work harder, so I decided to run my own business which can still help people and that is my food stall in Namsan Park. I sell for the benefit of others. It’s a good news to me everyday that many buyers are coming. Since I am now a regular employee in United Korea, I became busier than before that’s why I put aside my fangirl character. So Ah does the same because she also has a good work now. We’re not teenagers anymore.

                               -----------------------------------------------------------

                Summer is really here because I always drink lots and lots of water and never let go of my white towel that has my name ‘Stef’ stitched on it. I also started to get sweaty. Good thing, Peter bought a fan for me and it helps a lot.

                My last bottle of water was already empty and I wasn’t aware of it. I thought I still have two more bottles in the cooler but when I checked it, I found out that I consumed all five bottles of cold water. There’s a convenience store across the park and that’s where So Ah buys food and drinks for us. However, she’s not working with me anymore so I have to do it by myself and temporarily close the stall.

                I covered the food and rolled down the plastic curtain. I was about to lock the side door when a heavy yet soft hand stopped me from doing it.

                I looked behind and saw a very familiar mascot waving a hand to me cutely. It is Brown, one of the popular characters from the mobile application LINE. He is a brown-skinned bear that has a sad face expression and beady eyes. Despite his sad face, I could see that the person inside the mascot is jumpy because he keeps on waving his fingerless hand to me. I smiled and patted his cheek.

                “Hi there, Brown,” I greeted. “What brings you here? You want my pancakes?”

                He nodded and jumped and jumped excitedly like a kid. I looked around to check if there are more mascots besides him, but he’s alone. Usually, random mascots come out in the park every evening but this one’s too early. In fact, this is my first time seeing Brown mascot.

                “Okay, Brown. I’ll buy drinks and snacks first. Then, I’ll give you pancakes,”

                He shook his head and ran not too far away from me to get his black satchel and a white plastic bag seated under a shining Ginkgo tree, then came back.

                He handed to me the plastic bag. I looked into it and saw a 1.5 litre of bottled water and sandwiches.

                “Are these for me?” I asked with huge eyes.

                He shyly nodded and scratched his head as if no one’s inside the mascot.

                I was surprised, of course, because how could a stranger like this mascot care for me? We just met.

                “But how did you know that I was looking for this aside from the fact that I told you a while ago that I would buy these?” I raised the bag and waited for him to speak.    

                I walked closer to hear him but he stopped me by holding both my shoulders.

                I kept my distance and he searched for something in his shoulder bag. He brought out a pad-size white board and a marker. He wrote something and it’s pitiful to see him having a hard time to write with those big hands.

                Later on, he showed to me the board where bad handwriting was visible, but the words were legible, so I read it:

                [Our company told me to roam around Namsan Park to promote LINE. When I arrived here, they gave me that plastic bag for my snack. I already consumed the first bottle and two sandwiches. While I was resting under that tree I saw your famous food stall. I enjoyed observing you and how you make kids happy just because of those pancakes. I stayed sitting there until you closed the stall. I wondered why so I approached you and found out that you’re going to buy snacks. Luckily, I still have food and drinks in my bag so I decided to give it to you.]

                Oh. So that’s the story. Well, I guess he’s a good person so I thanked him sincerely for the water.

                After drinking, I asked him, “Are you alone? Are you a guy or a girl? I’m not asking Brown, I’m asking the person inside the mascot.” I was just trying to make sure if I was using the proper pronoun as I talk about him/her.

                Again, he erased what’s on the board and wrote sentences.

                “Can’t you speak?” I added a question.

                After seconds of waiting, he showed two answers.

                [I am a girl. I am mute.]

                I was shocked and I wanted to spank myself for what I’ve had done. I thought her whiteboard and marker were just props. And I thought she’s a guy because Brown is a male.

                “I am so, so sorry,” I showed my guilty face and bowed to her. “I’m really sorry. I shouldn’t have asked you those questions. I’m so-”

                She suddenly pulled me for a tight hug and I wasn’t able to finish my sentence because of surprise. Now, who’s gonna think that she’s a girl? Well, I often do this “very tight hug” to So Ah because we’re bestfriends, but in this case, it’s strange because we barely know each other.

                Later on, we separated and she wrote something, then showed it to me.

                [Open your stall. Let me help you.]

                I just smiled but I’m still confused. Maybe, it’s in her nature that she’s friendly even though she can’t speak. To snub at her is not a good idea. Why treat her like a stranger if she’s offering a help for me and the food and drinks? I’m not that kind of person.

                “Okay. Let’s open the food stall,” I nodded and both of us reassembled the stall.

                While we’re waiting for customers to come and I’m eating the sandwich she bought, I asked her a friendlier question.

                “By the way, what’s your name?”

                I watched her as she writes on the board. We’re sitting next to each other on a wooden bench that’s close to my stall.

                [I’m Min Yoon Ah, but people in our company and my friends call me Sugar because they said that I’m sweet and very friendly.]

                I nodded because I agree.

                “I see. Even to a stranger like me, you didn’t hesitate to be very friendly. You have a very bright personality, Sugar. I like that.”

                She wrote something again, and I was touched to what I’ve read.

                [You’re not a stranger to me anymore. I consider you my friend since the first time I saw you.]

                I shyly laughed. Why? Have we met before? She really is a human-sugar because her words are so sweet. It’s funny because her nickname reminds me of Suga of BTS. I wonder what he’s doing right now or how he is, because recently, I didn’t have time to attend music shows or watch TV to see BTS and Suga.

                “Thanks for that, Sugar,” I patted Brown’s shoulder. “I consider you as my new friend now. I’ll help you, too, if you need me.”

                She embraced me again and I giggled because this is the second time we hugged. It’s awkward at first but this time, I felt that a new camaraderie is born between me and Sugar.

                When we parted, I asked her to tell me more about her and her job as a mascot in LINE. After her, I’ll also tell my stories to her so that our friendship will be official. She agreed and started narrating through the whiteboard.

                It’s wonderful because despite So Ah’s absence I could still feel the presence of a companion through Sugar. Although this is our first meeting, I believe this is the beginning of a new friendship.

                         -------------------------------------------------------------

                Dusk showed itself and it’s time to close the stall. Brown was writing on a piece of paper while sitting on the bench alone.

                People in the park were slowly decreasing and there were no more kids. City lights and the Namsan Tower glowed to provide light and peace of mind to everyone who’s passing by. That glowing tower is one of the things that wash away the exhaustion from my mind and body, because everytime it lights up, it tells me that I did a great job everyday. There are so many amusing places in States but they all cannot beat the beauty of Namsan Tower. It’s the best.

                Brown poked my back and I took off my eyes from the tower to look at the mascot. She’s holding her instax-like camera, but she told me earlier that it’s not a type of instax, it’s a Sony Alpha NEX 5TL. I know that only rich people can afford that, but she explained that their company boss gave that camera to her as a birthday gift. She shared that she loves taking pictures that’s why she got happier after receiving that gift because the quality of photos became much, much better.

                Sugar asked me to stand in front of the stall because she’ll take a picture of me with Namsan Tower as my background. I was excited so I stood there and showed my bright smile.

                After the photoshoot, I ran to her to check the preview. It turned out beautifully. The glowing tower behind me made it perfect. Sugar is indeed an expert photographer because even if she’s wearing a costume, she was able to capture a perfect shot.

                I clapped my hands for her, “You’re really good at photography, Sugar. Why don’t you apply as a photographer? That is your talent, not Brown.” I hope I didn’t offend her. My words are really stubborn and inconsiderate sometimes.

                [My talent only focuses on entertainment. Entertainment doesn’t last long, but happiness do. So, I chose this job to be happy and give happiness to others. I didn’t choose this to be entertained and to entertain.]

                The way she thinks is amazing. What she said was absolutely right. I nodded and smiled to her. This time, I was the one who offered my warm hug and she accepted it tightly.

                “I see that we have the same vision. Both of us want to be happy and contented by sharing happiness with other people. I assure you that our friendship will last forever because of this,” I patted Brown’s back. People were looking at us as they passed by so we separated.

                My phone rang and I took it from my bag. I saw So Ah’s name and picture.

                “Yes, my DJ friend? Done with your work?” I asked. When I looked at Brown, he’s shaking his head as if something’s wrong. I told her to wait by raising a hand.

                “Yup. Yup. I’m done. Where do you want to have dinner?” she excitedly asked. It’s nice to hear her voice again. I wasn’t able to listen to Arirang radio since Monday because of work, too. The last time I tuned in to their station was So Ah’s first day with BTS.

                “How about our favorite bistro in Myeongdeong?”

                “Sounds great. See you there,”

                “Okay. I’ll invite Peter. He’s also off from work now.”

                “Sure,” she said. We said our goodbyes and hang up.

                I looked back at Brown and I wanted to invite Sugar for a dinner, but she has to go back to office.

                “Sugar, I have to go now. I’ll have dinner with my friends,” I took Brown’s hand. “Thank you so much for making my day full of laughter. Thanks also for the sandwiches. I hope to see you again tomorrow, my friend. Will you come back?”

                She nodded and I smiled.

                “Take care, okay?”I turned around with my bag but Brown grabbed my wrist and I was forced to look back.

                She gave me a piece of paper where a cellphone number was written on it. I slowly took it and looked at the whiteboard she raised.

                [That’s my number. Whatever happens, I’ll be always here for you.]

                We only stared at each other for so long even if I couldn’t see her eyes. I never expected that I’m this special to her, or maybe, she already did this to her friends. I’m just new in her list.

                “Thanks, Sugar. I’ll never forget this. Bye,” I bowed to her and walked away.

                While I was walking, a very noisy question keeps on bothering my head. I looked down to the paper with a contact number and asked myself again: “Is my new friend really a girl?”