Mask

EQUAL

[Suga's POV]

                I thought betrayal only exists in movies, dramas, politics, and messages of songs. But after witnessing the kiss of Peter and Charmaine two days ago, I got enlightened to the fact that betrayal also exists in reality. Same face and same name. Peter. I know him because he’s the only guy Stef loves the most. He’s the wall between me and Stef so how could I forget him? That bastard. Before, I considered him as my greatest rival, but now I see him as the worst male living in this world. He doesn’t deserve to be loved.  I was greatly affected of what the two of them did in the recording studio. How about Stef? Does she know that her bestfriend and boyfriend are having a love affair behind her back? Charmaine Lee is a bad girl and she’s disgusting. I knew that she lied when she told me that Stef was busy that day. She didn’t invite her innocent friend so that she and Peter could do their thing without Stef. Pathetic people. How could they do that to Stef? They’re the worst. What if Stef witnessed what I saw? Crying will not be enough, she will hurt herself for having a broken heart. I have to do something.

                “Yoon Gi,” Jin hyung touched my shoulder. He’s also awake and sat on the edge of the bed, beside me. The others were outside, eating breakfast that was cooked and prepared by Jin earlier. Ho Seok was still sleeping so there are three of us in the room. “You’ve been staring at the window for hours. What’s wrong?” he asked, even though he had no idea how really long I was staring at the window, thinking of Stef.

                “You already know what’s wrong,” I answered, keeping my voice low. I already told Jin that the Peter who stands as Stef’s boyfriend is the same Peter who kissed DJ Charmaine. I don’t care if he’s a foreigner or a magnate, I am a superstar and many people in his mother land know BTS well. I’m not afraid of him. Jin was surprised as me and he quickly announced that he won’t like Charmaine Lee anymore. He’s the first to tell that she’s disgusting. And now, he’s also worried about Stef.

                “You’re thinking of Stef again,” he said, but this time he didn’t sound like he’s against to my feelings. In fact, he gave back my phone to me on the day I told him about Peter’s bad move.

Then, I remembered his words to me before: “I would be willing to help only if Peter is not included in Stef’s life.” I was thinking if it’s equivalent to “I would be willing to help if Peter deceives Stef.”

                “I want to go to her, hyung,” I looked at him and saw his messy hair and morning bloated face. “I want to see if she’s doing fine. I want to be there before she sees Peter’s evilness. That bastard, I’ll punch his face if I see him again.”

                “Calm down, dude. Don’t destroy your image just because of those people. Take it easy. Go for a better plan,” he advised. I calmed myself for a moment.

                “I won’t do that, of course. But if I have to, I won’t hesitate. I just want to check on Stef always. That’s my objective. Help me with that. Please.”

                Hyung stared at me with unreadable expression on his face.

                “Min Yoon Gi, you really changed. We all know that you’re a hardworking rapper, composer, entertainer, and member. I’m not expecting that you’ll put those aside and be a stalker to the girl you love so much. Are you serious?”

                “I’m not saying that I’ll give up my position in BTS,” I answered, voice serious. I took the white towel where my name SUGA was embroidered on the bottom right. It’s the gift I received from Stef and I always wash it every night so that I could use it again the next day. It reminds me of her and her smile that boosts my energy each day. That towel is very important to me. “I’m saying that we all have the right to love and care for the person we admire. Stef is my love. BTS is my profession. They’re different to each other but both are important to me so I’m not letting go of anything. I can still be Suga while I’m protecting Stef. It’s like multi-tasking, get it?”

                “Very well said,” Jin hyung nodded, agreeing to what I’ve had explained to him. “But I’m not sure if you’re doing the right thing.”

                “I am sure,” I showed him my bravery.

                He nodded again. “Alright. If that’s what love does to you, let me join. So what are you going planning to do? Disguise as a weird taxi driver again? I’ll only help you if there’s a plan. Don’t let me improvise one because I’m sure you won’t like it.”

                Sadly, there’s no plan in my head. I don’t want to be a driver again because if Peter comes to my way I might batter him until he bleeds. All I want to do is run to Stef and take her away from the people she trusts. But then, a plan came.

                “Actually, I was thinking of going back to Namsan Park and check if she’s still working there. Do you want to come with me?” I asked him. He took a glance to the calendar.

                “Next week, we’ll go to Japan and be busy again. I guess this is our only free time. Let’s go?” he showed a smile and I did, too. It’s a relief again to see that hyung understands me. And helping me.

                “Let me join you, guys!”

                Both Jin and I were startled because of Ho Seok who’s sitting behind us. His hair was messier than Jin and his breath was horrible.

                Jin hyung wrestled him and I quickly covered his mouth. Poor Ho Seok struggled for air.

                “Were you eavesdropping?” I asked, making my eyes big as I looked down at him. He nodded and begged to release him because Jin’s heavy. I wanted to laugh out loud because of J-Hope’s face, but the others will hear us so I zipped my mouth.

                I put away my hand from his smelly mouth.

                “You’re killing me! You’re killing me!” he was exaggeratedly freaking out like a gay. Jin finally stood on bed and placed his foot right in front of J-Hope’s face. The hostage kept his mouth shut to avoid kissing Jin hyung’s foot. Haha!

                “How long you’ve been listening?” Jin asked.

                J-Hope looked to my direction because he didn’t want to speak in front of hyung’s foot.

                “I’ve been listening since both of you were snoring. I heard everything. Stef, Peter, love. Everything. Good grief, Suga hyung. I didn’t know that you’re crazily in love with that girl. How come you didn’t tell that to us? Only Jin hyung? That’s unfair.”

                I felt embarrassed and sorry. Now, it’s not only Jin who knows my secret. J-Hope was added on the list.

                “Are you going to tell it to them?” I seriously asked, referring to the members who were happy eating outside because we heard them laughing hard.

                Ho Seok shoved aside Jin hyung’s foot and got up next to me.

                “You should be the one telling that secret of yours to them, not me or hyung,”

                I was surprised by Ho Seok because he’s the type of guy who will blurt out secrets and make you red because of embarrassment. Then, he and Tae hyung will forever make fun of you and your secrets. End of the world. However, very far to what’s expected, J-Hope said those words to me.

                Jin hyung back-hugged him like a koala bear.

                “Thanks, man. Are you sure you’re awake?” I pat his arm and smiled.

                “Sure, bro. By the way, that Stef you mentioned, is she the reason why you cried during the cosplay event?”

                I shyly nodded. I don’t want to be reminded of that because it simply tells me that I’m a weak guy.

                “I was right. Honestly, I didn’t believe when Jin hyung said that you’re having a very bad stomachache that day because when I replayed your video and observed you, you’re not holding your stomach or crouched as you walk. You didn’t look like you’re really sick. You were just staring at the food stall in front of you and there’s a girl. Then, I realized that there’s something going on between the two of you. Wait, Yoon Gi hyung, does that girl already know that you like her?” His last question shocked me.

                “Duh? Stef doesn’t even know that Suga’s following her for many times,” Jin answered instead.

                J-Hope nodded. “And I heard you want to be by her side since his bad boyfriend is a boyfriend of another girl, too?”

                “Exactly,” I nodded. J-Hope can be an investigator someday or a professional gossiper.

                “Well, this is exciting. Our Yoon Gi hyung is in love and he needs Bangtan’s help,” Ho Seok excitedly clapped his hands.

                I shook my head and put down his hands. “Not the whole BTS, Jung Ho Seok. This is only a secret but I promise to tell this to everyone on the right time.”

                I feel sorry for the others because I seemed selfish. We’re a group so we’re supposed to help one another whatever the situation is. No secrets. However, manager, who is against public-dating-for-idols, is always around. In fact, he’s on the same table as the boys right now so we have to be very careful.

                “Ok, boss,” Ho Seok stood in front of us with arms crossed. “Jin hyung said that he would help if there’s a plan. Then, Yoon Gi hyung suggested going to Namsan and check if lucky Stef and her food stall are still there. After checking, what’s your next step? Run to the girl and kidnap her? No, no, no. That’s very violent and dirty. That’s why I’m here! You need a better plan.” He raised both his hands and waved his body.

                “Stop it! It’s disgusting. Just go straight to the point,” I requested and Jin laughed.

                Ho Seok stood up straight again continued, “I have this golden plan that is better than kidnapping,”

                “No one said that we’ll kidnap Stef. It’s just you,” I butted in and Jin never stopped laughing because Ho Seok’s ears were turning red.

                “OK, fine. I have the dirty mind here. I give up,” he put his hands up and sat down on the floor. “Going back to the golden plan, here’s what we’re going to do.” He took his phone from the lamp-table. “I’ll text my artist friend about borrowing one of his cute mascots-”

                “MASCOTS?!” Jin and I both asked in unison. Why did mascots suddenly popped up in this kind of conversation?

                “Hush, puppies. Lemme finish speaking first,” he scolded us as if he’s the oldest guy here. “If so happened that Stef’s really in the park today, Yoon Gi hyung will wear the costume and then go to the girl with a notepad or white board and pen because you’re not allowed to speak. Then, you’ll start befriending her and start checking if she’s still innocent of her boyfriend’s evilness.”

                “This plan of yours is funny. Do you want me to do that?” I asked. Playing as a mascot is not a very good idea. I will look funny and it’s going to be embarrassing.

                “In that way, you’ll be able to stay by her side and look after her. Why? You want to be a taxi driver again? That won’t help you, hyung. What if a passenger called you? Then, you’ll be far away from her and there’s a small possibility that you would be able to communicate with her.”

                Ho Seok’s right. I still don’t have other options than his very own plan so I think wearing a costume will be a temporary help to get close to Stef.

                “Wow. You’re smarter than me, J-Hope,” Jin hyung praised Ho Seok with a gentle pat on his head.

                “Of course. If Jungkook is the golden maknae, then I’m the golden hope, J-Hope,” he bragged and grinned at me. “How’s that, Suga hyung? Do you like my plan? There’s no kidnapping there.”

                I heaved a deep sigh before answering, “I don’t like it but I’m interested. Let’s just pray that Stef will be there. I desperately want to know how she is,” I honestly said and stood up with my precious white towel.

                The three of us prepared for a mission that no one in this world knows except for boss Jin, smart J-Hope, and mascot Suga. Pathetic.

                If Stef is in Namsan Park, I believe that we’re made for each other. That’s my only last hope.