Here

EQUAL

[Suga’s POV]

                I catch Stef from falling and feel her burning body. She’s terribly hot because of fever and she blanched right after she collapsed. Hearing her weak voice a while ago worried me so much that’s why I hung up the phone and rushed here even if BTS was in the midst of brainstorming about the world tour. I almost had a heart attack when I figured out that she’s sick and alone here. Dang it, where’s that bastard Peter and her hypocrite friend?

                I carry her inside after locking the door and lay her down to bed. I remove my mask and sunglasses then put it on the table beside her bed along with my cap. I bring a basin of cold water back to her room after searching for a clean towel. Seeing her unhappy and lifeless like this makes me sick, too. It feels like a thorn is stuck in my heart and I couldn’t help but cry.

                I check her forehead but never let go of her hand, “Goodness Stef, you’re burning.” I mutter.

                I wished to see her up-close again and touch her, but I never wished to see her up-close with a poor condition like this. I want to see her happy and lively, not sick. This is disappointing and very saddening.

                I gently dab her face with the wet towel and then her arms, legs, and feet. Even if the water is really cold, it quickly absorbed the heat from her body in just a minute until it became totally warm. I sadly sighed.

                Pausing for a while, I caress her cheek, but there’s no response. She remains still like a dead person and I feel bad. I bow my head and force myself not to cry again. I want to bring her to the hospital but a chaos will come and media will start to bring noise. Of course, I don’t want Stef to wake up in a world of cacophony. It will surprise her and perhaps, make her stressed. Before that happens, I have to confess to this girl first so that she won’t be shocked at the media’s reaction. Should I have to wait for her eyes to open?

                “Please wake up,” I prayed and held her soft hand up to my forehead. This is my second time holding her hand but it still feels like first time. She never fails to bring excitement in me. I don’t want to let go of it anymore. I want to stay by her side forever.

                I was staring at her face for an hour now, still waiting for those eyes to look at me and her lips to smile. What should I say if she sees me? A simple ‘hi’? No. What if her heart speeds up when she sees me here beside her? I bet she’s going to collapse again. Maybe I just have to say ‘Stef you’re dreaming. Calm yourself down and sleep again’. That sounds stupid.

                I was in the middle of thinking an explanation when the doorbell rang. I carefully put the towel above Stef’s forehead and walked to the door.

                I looked through the peephole first before opening the door because I was afraid it would be Charmaine Lee. Fangirl alert.

                What I saw was weird. There were five men outside who all looked like surgeons and criminals combined because of surgical masks, baseball caps and sunglasses they’re wearing. I didn’t get afraid or worried because when the guy in the middle smiled, I found out that he was Jin and the other guys were the members.

                I slightly opened the door and they all beamed at me.

                Actually, they were not five, but six. Jungkook followed, also wearing a mask, cap and glasses.

                “Why are you here?” I asked, keeping my voice low. I wasn’t expecting for this. I’m sure this is all Jin’s plan.

                “Why are you here?” Jin threw back my question. “You just left while we’re having a meeting and then you’re here?”

                “What are you doing in this prestigious condominium?” Nam Joon asked but no one looked at him.

                “How did you know that I’m here?” I asked, not showing a smile.

                “Duh?” Jin took something from his pocket and I saw my cellphone. Right, I forgot it. Stupid me. “You forgot to take this with you, lady Suga. You were in a hurry and curiosity attacked me even though I already know where you’re going. I checked your log and saw Stef’s name.”

                Of course, Jin wins again. I told her before the complete address of Stef that’s why they’re able to make it here. But still, I didn’t let them come in.

                “She’s sick and no one’s here to look after her.”

                “Is she awake?” Ho Seok and Jimin both asked and they’re trying to peek inside the room, but I’m blocking their view.

                “Does she know already? What’s her reaction, hyung?” Tae Hyung’s voice was louder because of excitement. I put a finger on my mouth to shut them up then shooed them away.

                “Guys, she’s still asleep. You’re too noisy. Go now, I can handle this.”

                I almost closed the door but Jin hyung pushed it effortlessly so I was forced to step aside. They all came in. Oh great.

                “Come on, guys,” I scratched my head and I was so tensed. What if Stef wakes up? I still don’t have any explanations prepared. And these kiddos added to my problem.

                Jungkook locked the door and they all revealed their faces.

                Hyung stood beside me and I just crossed my arms. Most of the time, he’s annoying.

                “You’re thinking that you can handle this? Have you checked Twitter?” he told me and I got a feeling that there’s a bad news around.

                “What about Twitter?” I looked at him. The other kids were giving themselves a tour around Stef’s luxurious unit but I didn’t mind.

                “’Sugahero’ and ‘Uniquegirl’ are trending worldwide on Twitter,” he said, emphasizing the word ‘worldwide’. “I think the fans are starting to notice your feelings for her. Your romantic photo with Stef at KBS resurfaced on the social media sites again. Do you know what made it a hot topic again?”

                I was thinking seriously. How could the fans notice it? Have they figured it all out during our recent concert? Crap, I have to do something.

                “What?” I asked hyung.

                Then, he pointed at my neck. It’s my necklace. I held on it and suddenly an answer came to my mind. I knew it!

                “When you performed right in front of Stef, there were so many cameras around you. And one of those cameras captured your necklaces. It’s a couple stuff, man. I also got surprised of seeing that. You made the ARMY and other netizens suspicious.” he explained further. I just nodded but my mind’s too noisy. “’Sugahero’ trended again because the fans realized that the girl you saved from falling before was the same girl who received a rose from you during our concert. Who’s not going to be suspicious of that? It doesn’t seem like a coincidence either. You cannot fool the fans, they’re very smart and keen observers, too.”

                “Yes,” Jungkook joined us. I looked at the others and saw them settled down on the long couch, watching a show on TV. “The ARMY think that Stef’s your ‘unique girl’. Now, what are you going to do?”

                “We don’t have to panic,” I bluntly said, camouflaging my anxiety. “Only the fans know it. The media are still unaware.”

                “Don’t panic? Two media outlets already came to office right after you left and that’s when manager found the pictures on Twitter and the couple necklace. Of course, he went back to our dorm to clarify everything with you but you’re not there. He got mad and suspicious, too,” Jungkook narrated almost everything I wanted to know, and I got a bit nervous.

                “So you’re asking why we’re here?” hyung reminded me of my question a while ago. “We’re here because manager told us to take him where you are right now.”

                “And you told him I’m here,” I gulped. I was half annoyed because of what’s happening, and half prepared to face manager.

                “There’s nothing I can do, Yoon Gi, I think this is the right time to tell manager about Stef. We got your back, man, so don’t run away.” Jin held on my shoulder. I just sighed.

                My plan is not going well with me. I was supposed to confess to Stef first, then introduce her to manager. But what happened is the opposite. Plus, the media is starting to make noise and Stef is still unaware of it. I have to change the plan as soon as possible.

                “Where’s manager?” I asked Jin, showing off my bravery but in fact, I was worried inside. What if manager opposes to me and announces to public that everything’s just a coincidence? I’m not going to let that happen. I’ll not lie to everyone. I have to be ahead of manager if he states that he’s against to my decisions.

                “He’s in the van. At the basement,” Jungkook replied. His voice is always serious these days. “Waiting for us, and you.” He then walked away to join the others like he’s snubbing me.

                Jin and I looked at each other.

                “I’ll talk with him,” I said, referring to manager. “And do my best to make him allow me date Stef.”

                Jin smirks. “That’s going to be tough and it would take time to convince him. You know that manager’s not fine with dating.”

                “Well, I think I have to change his perception and prove that dating cannot destroy an idol’s image and life.”

                Jin chuckles, “That’s one of the reasons why I like you. You’ll put your life at risk for the sake of love. Good luck, then. Just don’t forget that we got your back. Always.”

                This time, I was the one who winked at him and he told me that it didn’t look y like his. I rolled my eyes.

                “By the way, where’s Stef?” he asks.

                I walk to her room and he follows. I mean, all of them follow and I get surprised. I warn them to keep quiet because I want Stef to have a peaceful rest.

                “So she’s the reason why you asked for our autograph before?” Nam Joon asks, pointing at the BTS poster attached on Stef’s closet. I didn’t notice that earlier because I was too busy and worried taking good care of Stef. Well, it’s nice to know that she received the poster I sent as Sugar.

                I nod and smile, “Actually, she also has some of our polaroids.”

                “Really?” Tae Hyung says, he sits beside Stef’s sleeping body. Ho Seok does the same and they both stare at the girl.

                “Hey,” I try to push them away from Stef. “Back off. She needs a rest. You two are noisy.”

                They keep on resisting and the bed starts to shake. Jimin helps me in sending the two naughty kids away. The quiet maknae sits on the other side of the bed as if nothing’s going on around him. Rap Mon never stops exploring Stef’s room. And I am stressed.

                Later on, Stef’s eyebrows move and the four of us halt from pushing each other. The others also look when V hushes us.

                What should I do when she wakes up? I could feel our beating hearts. The members also look nervous and speechless.

                We all wait for her eyes to open. It seems like the time freezes because no one’s moving until we hear a loud grumble of stomach. All of us know that we, the members, are not hungry because we just had three buckets of chicken for dinner.

                Jin walks next to the bed and checks Stef’s forehead. Thankfully, she does not wake up despite our playfulness a while ago.

                “Get cold water again and wash this,” hyung hands the warm towel to me that was placed on Stef’s forehead. I take it and the bowl, too. “I’ll cook something for her. I think her condition got worse because of hunger.” He says like he’s a doctor. I agree because one of the reasons why she’s weak is because of her empty tummy. If her stomach didn’t growl, we won’t find out that she’s hungry.

                Jin and I go to the kitchen. I refill the bowl with cold water and wash the towel before heading back to the bedroom. Somehow, I’m thankful that Jin’s here. I believe the food he’s going to cook will help Stef in regaining her strength.

                I step in the room and see J-Hope, V, and Jungkook still sitting on the edge of the bed. I put the bowl above the lamp table and just let them sit there as long as they don’t get too noisy.

                “This girl’s very lucky,” Tae Hyung mutters as he stares at my girl’s face. “And she’s really the best because how could she order a busy and superstar person like you to come here? Wow. She’s amazing.”

                “That’s what you call ‘love’,” Jimin speaks. I smile.

                “Oh look here!” Ho Seok almost wakes Stef again because of his megaphonic voice. I am about to pinch him in the nose but he points at Stef’s necklace. Everybody comes closer and looks at the accessory.

                “The couple necklace,” Jungkook says and he looks at my neck to see the same necklace.

                “So it’s really real and not photoshopped,” Nam Joon responds and he couldn’t believe of what he’s seeing right now.

                Before they ask questions I am expecting, I already answer them, “Yes, everything’s real. I gave that necklace to her.”

                Ho Seok stands up to let me sit beside Stef. I take her arm and carefully wipe the cold towel around it, then to her other arm, and her neck. After rewashing the towel, I place it above her forehead. I find the guys watching me as I take care of Stef.

                “Do you want popcorn?” I joke.

                Jungkook smiles and he gets up. “I’ll go back to the van,” he says with arms crossed. “I’ll try not to make manager bored down there. But make it quick, okay? We’ll wait for you.”

                “Lemme come with you,” Jimin walks beside Jungkook.

                “Okay. I’ll be there,” I answer with a smile.

                The two of them go out. RapMon, Ho Seok and Tae Hyung remain. They’re just staring at either me or Stef.

                “Don’t you guys want to go, too? You already saw her,” I tell them. I am expecting for them to go, but Nam Joon sits next to me.

                “Are you really sure you can explain this to manager?” he asks, worriedly. He keeps on taking a glance at Stef.

                I pat his shoulder and smiles, “Loving someone is not a crime so why should we worry or even feel sorry? Yes, I was afraid at first because manager would disagree to this, but I’ve decided to show him my right as a human, not an idol.”

                “You really love her,” V suddenly says. I look at his serious face. “I’m happy that you found someone who could give you freedom, confidence, and strength. I’m excited to talk to her and know her superpower.”

                I nod. I’m also excited to introduce her to the members so that the guys will know how beautiful she is inside and out.

                Nam Joon speaks again, “Just remember, hyung, we’re always here to help and support you.”

                “I know that, man. And I hope the ARMY will say the same,” my words are carried out by anxiety. But looking at Stef makes me feel hopeful again.

                Ho Seok gives me a light pat on the back. “Don’t you worry, hyung. I’m sure they’ll be all happy as long as you’re happy,” he encourages me and I thank him for that.

                Meanwhile, Jin hyung comes in with a tray of hot soup and meal. He carefully puts it above the table when I removed the bowl.

                “We should go now, Yoon Gi,” hyung says and his worried voice gives me a hint that something’s wrong. Again. “Dispatch saw you entering this place. They’re now in the office to confirm things. Manager just called me and he’s running out of patience. We have to go.”

                “But-”

                “Just leave a note for her. Don’t make this problem big. Don’t let the media go ahead of you. It will put you and Stef in discomfort or worse,” he raises his voice. The three hurry outside after disguising themselves. I want to refuse to hyung, but everything he has said is true. I have to be back at the office and admit everything to the media before BigHit denies all of it.

                Hyung takes the bowl from me, “Make it quick. I’ll wait for you at the van.” Then, he walks outside the room.

                Reluctantly, I take a piece of paper and pen to write a note for Stef. The plan didn’t go well again. I hate it. I’m so annoyed right now that I want to punch someone in the face. I’m supposed to confess to her once she’s awake but Dispatch comes on the way and ruins it.  

                Later, I hear the door closed. Jin leaves already. My mind hurries me to go now but my feet are not moving. I hold on Stef’s hand once again and look at her magnificent face. I don’t want to leave her with this condition. I want to make sure that she will be well again and smile for me.

                I close my eyes and promise silently that I will be back for her and never leave her side again.

                I open my eyes and whisper to her ear, “I love you.”

                Before leaving, I give to her my very first kiss.