chapter 31

««Delivery • Girl • Park • Sun • Mi!»»

 

Sitting across from each other, Sun Mi lazily sipped from her smoothie. "Omo.. I got a hundred on my test." she said, smiling softly. Yongmin looked up from his tray, fries in his mouth. "Really?! That's awesome. Good job." He chuckled. "You're just like my brother." Tilting his head, he asked, "Why are you so sad?" Slowly stirring her straw, she sighed. "Its oke, I guess..." "Oke?! You got the best score!" She eyed him impatiently. "BUT--" she began again, finishing her sentence. "if I get another hundred on my terms, I can get a scholarship, and stop working so much." Yongmin smiled. "I'm sure you'll do great." Clenching her fist with anxiety, she said,  with gritted teeth. "It has to be certain; its tomorrow. You have to help me study." she pleaded, grabbing his hand desperately. "HELP ME!"  Yongmin laughed, and pulled away, wiping his eyes. "Oke, Oke I'll help. I'll come over when you babysit; after I finish up some paperwork for my dad." "K." she said, picking up their empty dishes, and walking to the back of the cafe. Her manager was smoking a cigarette, when she dumped the tray into a sink. He laughed softly, before he spoke. "ON your day off, Sun Mi, and you're still here." Jokingly, she replied, "Guess I can't stay away." before picking up her bag. "See yah, Choi." she said, waving. "Yah! Use more respect!" he demanded behind her.

 

Yongmin ran his fingers through his hair. As quickly as he could, he sped read, examining sheets and sheets of numbers. Finally, he clacked a few keys on his laptop, and stood up. "Done." he said assuredly. Grabbing his bag, and packing his stuff away, his dad walked in. "There is he; Yongmin, you've been doing so well." "Thanks." he replied shortly, with a slight uneasiness. There was an awkward silence, him and his dad never seemed to be too close. "Here." he said, handing his son a folder stuffed with paper. Yongmin stared at him, wide eyed. "Wha-- you can't be serious." "Hurry up and finish, so you can leave." "I am about to leave now!" Yongmin exclaimed. "Get Jong to do it!" Suddenly, his father's face grew dire. "Yongmin." he hissed. "How dare you?! Your brother works so hard; he isn't available now, because he is planning for future business for the company! Your job is to do the current work, "the now work." he explained, wagging a finger. Leaning forward, on his toes, his voice deepened, exclamatory. "So do it now." he said firmly, turning on his heels, and walking out. Yongmin stood there, folder in hand, frozen. Mouth wide, he just stared blankly, before dropping his bag in the middle of the floor, and walking around his desk. Without even thinking, he dialed from his office phone. "What?" was the response; as if his brother had that right to talk to him that way, but he remained silent. "Jong, please  please please do me a favor..."

"What do you mean no!" he cried. "After all I've done for you; please Jong, its really important. Its not like we've never switched before; we did it all the time when we were little." Yet again, he was met with another no. Lowering his voice, he said, "Well, the only reason I'm staying behind is to finish your work. Technically I'm doing you a favor..." he hissed, a smirk developing. "Or should I tell dad how 'busy you are' at home?" There was a short silence. "Great, I'll email you the address. Oh! And-- be nice to her."

 

Jongmin checked his phone for the umpteenth time, searching for the house. Eight o'clock, and the sun already set. Walking up to the front door, he knocked softly, biting his lip, looking quite unhappy. No one came to the door, impatience rose. "Keeping me waiting, what kind of kid is this.." he grumbled, pounding on the door harshly. Seconds later, he heard running footstepts, and the door opened slowly. "Yongie!" Sun Mi cried, wrapping her arms around his neck tightly, and pulling him inside. "Were you waiting long? Sorry, I was listening to music." He said nothing, but stared in astonishment, as she didn't notice they were completely different people. "Hmm." was all he said, as she walked upstairs. "K, so Tommy is sleeping now." Stopping, she turned around, a glint in her eye. "Are you hungry?" "Don't you have to study?" he said flatly, he didn't want to stay any longer than he had to. Sun Mi looked up at him, and snapped her fingers. "You're right; we can do both. I'll get my book." Running in the opposite direction, she grabbed her book, then sat at the kitchen counter, patting the seat next to her. He sighed softly, then obliged, slightly turned away. Reaching behind, she grabbed a carton of ice cream, scanning her book. "Want some?" she offered, pulling the spoon out of , and digging into the carton, before shoving it into his face. "No!" he exclaimed, in disgust, which made her cringe. "Why not?" she frowned, looking down. "We always share; and you like sweets." Jongmin covered his face, and stood up. "No." he said firmly. Sun Mi determinedly bit her lip, and stood up. "Just try it!" "NO!" She jabbed the spoon in his face once more, and he swung his arm to push it away, Sun Mi jumped back, dropping the ice cream. "Yongmin!" she cried. "I'm allergic to strawberries." Jongmin said grimly, panting softly, as he looked at the leaking dessert on the floor. "Oh." Grabbing a towel, he bent on the ground. "I'll get it." he said. Sun Mi bent down, to help. "No I'll get it. I shouldn't have done that; I'm sorry. I didn't know." Jongmin looked up at her, then scoffed. "I got it. I got it. Just read." he said, motioning her to go away. She stood up, still feeling bad, and offered to get another pint, this time pistachio. "Fine." he said, standing up, washing the towel in the sink. Laying across the counter, she slid the book to him, and as he quizzed her, the pint became more and more empty. "You're fine." Jongmin said, scraping the bottom with his spoon. "Why do you need me here?" Sun Mi wrung her finger, kicking her legs back and forth freely. "I dunno; I just wanted to study with someone." Her face changed, from its usual sunny disposition to a slightly more grim demeanor. "I just feel-- I feel like I'm going to fail." Jongmin leaned forward, before thumping her forehead sharply. "Aish!" she exclaimed, rubbing the sore spot. "Yongie! You're just like your brother!" she whined. "Don't worry about failure; its not going to happen. I know some of the people in your class; they are idiots. You are going to shine." he said, complimenting her, ignorning her last comment. Sun Mi lowered her hand, and stared at him. "Really?" "yeh." She smiled, then added. "You are pretty smart yourself." Tapping her chin, she wondered, "You said your brother was smarter than you; omo, he must be a genius!" Jongmin said nothing, but smirked. "Hmph, if only; Yongmin can't even finish a test without falling asleep." he thought. Her sttomach rumbled, and she rolled over, onto her back. "Ugh, so hungry." she whined, jumping off of the counter. Opening the fridge, she pulled out a bunch of wrapped foods, and left the kitchen, bundles in her arms. Jongmin sat, flipping through the book, when she poked her head out. "Hey. You comin?" 

Sun Mi sighed, collapsing on the couch, resting a sleeve of cookies on her stomach. "Ugh, I can't eat anymore." "Then don't." Jongmin snorted, finishing her flashcards. Sun Mi glanced over at him, before resting her head on his shoulder. "Let's play."  She said cheefully, staring up at him. Jongmin looked at her, confused. "Play what?" He asked, gruffly.  Sun Mi looked at him blankly, before flicking his forehead. "What we always play, truth or lies!"