Chapter 9

I Don't Want To Lose You

Everyone hopped on to their boats. They have to catch a fish before the sun sets.

“What would it feel like if Sungyeol were here?” Sungjong asked. “Why’d you ask for someone who’s not here?” Myungsoo said in a flat tone. Sungjong hit him in the back of his head. “He’s my friend! Of course I’ll wonder.”

“How about me? How do you see me? As a friend? A brother? As  a man?”

“What kind of question is that?”

“Just… just answer it.” Myungsoo said.

“Hmm. I really don’t know. As a friend? A brother? As a man? Maybe all.”

“So you see me as a man?” Myungsoo asked in an excited tone.

“Of course I do. You’re not a girl aren’t you?” Sungjong said. “Tch.” Myungsoo had his attention back to fishing. Suddenly, his fishing rod starts to shake. “Woah! I think I’m about to catch something!” he exclaimed.

Sungjong encouraged him. “Hurry! Don’t let it escape!” he said with a huge smile. Myungsoo battled with the fishing rod. He almost fell in the water but Sungjong caught his arms. “Aishh! It escaped!” Myungsoo pouted.

“Why were you so soft?!” Sungjong scolded him. “YA!” Myungsoo stood up. “What?” Sungjong glared.  Myungsoo just sat back. There was complete silence, and then suddenly, Sungjong’s rod started to shake. “Oh! I’m about to catch one!” he exclaimed.

Sungjong tried his best but it was very strong. Myungsoo saw that he was having a hard time. He wrapped his arm around Sungjong’s and helped him. They caught the big fish, but they both stared at each other. Their hearts suddenly wavered.

Myungsoo carefully removed his arms and he gets the rod from Sungjong to get the fish off. “I..I helped you. We should both take credits to this guy.” Myungsoo said. Sungjong just nodded.

‘Wh-What’s wrong with me? By any chance, do I like him?’

He slapped himself. Myungsoo was startled. “Why did you do that?!” he asked. “I-I was just… it’s… there… there was a mosquito. That’s it. Yeah.” He nodded and smiled awkwardly. Myungsoo just stared at him. “What are you doing? L-let’s just take the fish off.” Sungjong said and helped Myungsoo.

It was dark already when the entire camp gathered and cooked their fish. Myungsoo and Sungjong had the biggest. They sat down and started cooking theirs.

“That wasn’t so bad, was it? Camping makes you experience a lot of things you thought you won’t be able to.” Sungjong said as he thought about how often they use to camp. Myungsoo nodded.

“Thanks to you, I enjoyed this. I think I want to camp again next time.”

“Why don’t the three of us do it?” Sungjong suggested. “Three?”

“Yeah. Me, you and Sungyeol.” Sungjong smiled brightly.

‘Sungyeol will never be out of the picture, right?’ Myungsoo thought. It makes him sad to know that Sungyeol’s so special to Sungjong. It makes him feel jealous. He didn’t let it hit him. He just cooked the fish well and ate.

After dinner, everyone decided to take one last stroll around before they leave the next day. Myungsoo and Sungjong were walking somewhere near the lake.

“It feels good, right?” Sungjong asked. Myungsoo smiled and nodded. “I guess I concealed myself too much that I wasn’t able to realize how good it is to breathe out here.” Sungjong stared at him. “That was deep.” He said. Myungsoo just smiled. “But when you’re like this, I can feel your honesty.” He then added. There was a long pause when Sungjong started talking again.

“Don’t hide yourself too much. You became so blind to appreciate things that you got instead of things you don’t.” Sungjong said. “You might miss out great things because you long so much for the things you lost or don’t have at all.” He smiled.

“That would be awful.” Myungsoo said and smiled. “Being with you right now, i feel thankful.” He added. “Really?” Sungjong said smiling.

Myungsoo nodded. “I usually block people from even getting near me. I hate it when they give advice that doesn’t seem to fit in the situation. But you, you know everything well. You can say things that can make people waver. That must be why a lot of the student likes you and consider you as a senior.”

“They probably like me in front and hate me behind my back. That’s how people are.” Sungjong said. “You know why I pursued to get close to you?” he asked.

“Why?”

“Because I know you’re honest.” Sungjong said smiling. Myungsoo smiled and stopped from walking. Sungjong noticed and turned around. “Why? Is there something wrong?”

Myungsoo just stared at him. “I want to be honest right now.”

“About what?” he asked. “My feelings.” Myungsoo lowered his head. Sungjong’s heart beats faster. “W-what?” he asked.

 

“Lee Sungjong.”  He raised his head.

 

“I think I like you.”