Chapter 29

I Don't Want To Lose You

Sungyeol woke up the next day. He feels empty but at least not hated.

“Woah. The bad- Sungyeol is now awake!” Sungyeol was surprised with that familiar voice.

“S-sungjong… what are you doing here?”

Sungjong smiled brightly holding up a tray with breakfast. He went near Sungyeol and placed the tray beside Sungyeol. He then held Sungyeol’s face and kissed him in the cheek.

“You don’t know how much it meant to me… Being brave in front of everyone like that? That’s some bad- thing you did there!” he joked.

Sungyeol smiled and laughed.

“But seriously… thank you Sungyeol.” Sungjong smiled and hugged Sungyeol. Sungyeol hugged him back.

“Is that some kind of stunt you prepared?” Sungjong laughed and loosen his grip. “You’re a great actor!”

He noticed that Sungyeol was just smiling but he wasn’t reacting to it well. He stopped laughing. “I don’t like being serious forever Yeol. I don’t like being hurt again and again. I don’t want to think about everything that happened, what’s in the best… let’s get back to how we used to be.”

Sungyeol raised his head to face Sungjong.

“I never left Sungjong.” He said which surprised Sungjong. “I was always by your side. Caring… secretly. I made you think that I’m nowhere to be found… that I’m lost. But Sungjong, I never stopped caring. I just want you to know that.”

Sungjong nodded. “If you did… we won’t be here right now. That’s why Sungyeol… keep in mind that I will never be gone in your life. Maybe, we’re just not meant to be together in a different way, but we’re meant to be best friends forever. And like I told you, I can never re-create our memories together.”

Sungyeol looked at him. He didn’t know that tears were now streaming down his face. Sungjong’s reaction changed and he hugged Sungyeol so tight. He hugged Sungjong back, tighter.

“I’m sorry Sungjong. I’m really sorry. I don’t deserve to be your friend. You got sick, you were hurt, Myungsoo almost got in trouble and everything. I’m really sorry. I don’t deserve both of you. I’m really sorry…”

Sungyeol was crying so much. His words weren’t clear now but all Sungjong hears clearly is that he was sorry. Sungjong broke down as well.

“You were the best person I’ve met… you help me all through-out and  there I was being so stupid hurting you, closing you into a box, suffocating you. I hurt you so much I don’t deserve everything I have right now. I should just die for being the worst friend… I’m worthless Sungjong… I’m worthless…”

Sungjong shook his head, wiping his tears. “Sungyeol. You’re my best friend. I will forgive whatever happens. I still love you the way I know. I will never ever leave you and no Sungyeol. You’re not worthless and you don’t deserve to die. I will get hurt even more if you will okay? Remember that!” he was smiling and at the same time, tears are still streaming down.

“Sungyeol, you’re special to me. Don’t think too much about everything that happened, okay? It’s all gone. Far gone. Keep that in mind. I love you Yeollie. I love you so much.”

Sungyeol calmed himself down. “I love you too Jongie. Can we keep a promise to be by together’s side forever?” he pouted which caused Sungjong to burst in laughter. He pinched Sungyeol’s cheeks and laughed about the fact that Sungyeol could still make him smile after all the drama they’ve been to.

“I promise.”

Sungjong went back home. Everything was a mess. His father is still angry but what can he do? The deal is off.

“Sit down.” His father commanded the moment he opened the door. His mother is also in the living room. “Is it true? That you and Sungyeol are best friends?”

Sungjong was shocked. How did he know?

“Answer me!” Mr. Lee shouted.

“Yes.” He answered.

“You… you tricked us didn’t you? Both of you! You’re fools! Teenagers! Brats!” He was standing up and Mrs Lee was behind him, calming him down and preventing him to hit Sungjong.

“What? What are you going to do? Hit me? Punch me? Or better yet, kill me? Do it! I’m not scared! I don’t care anymore cause you know what? THE DEAL IS OFF. That big break you’re talking is not going to happen. You’re still the loser in this game, dad!” Sungjong bravely answered back.

Mr. Lee sat down, burying his head into his palm. “What did I do? Huh? What did I do wrong for a worthless kid like you grow up like this?

“Worthless parents raised me.”

Mr. Lee was taken aback with how brave Sungjong is.

“You’re answering back?! “

“What?! Do you expect me to sit down and just listen to you? I do that all the time! For god sake I’m always the loser! I’m a robot! I’m a walking profit! That’s all I really am right? That is all I am! And you think I should grow up well for your satisfaction? What does a good child looks like to you? A robot?” he was angry as well. His tone was rising.

“Don’t you dar-“

“Too late! I answered back dad. Or is that even what I’m supposed to call you?” he paused to catch his breath. “You can send me out now. You can tell everyone that your son is dead and that will be a lot better. I don’t care. Just like how both of you don’t care about me.” His voice shook. His sight was blurry and his eyes were filled with tears.

“Sungjong…” his mother called out.

“No. I don’t want to hear anything. I don’t want to hear lies. “

That night, Sungjong packed his things. He ran away and stayed in a little motel. He did various jobs a student would do. He tried to live well by himself. He didn’t care about the fact that people recognize him as an heir.

Months passed by. He stayed in contact with Sungyeol. They both were busy. Sungyeol is training with regards to the company, while Sungjong is studying in a university where he got a scholarship in. Just like how he normally would do after class, he works at a convenience store and head off home.

He now rents somewhere. It was a small boarding house but good enough for him. Sungyeol every now and then supports him financially. He was surprised when he saw his father’s car in front of it. He turned around and tried to run away but his father called him out. It was soft, unlike how he would normally call Sungjong.

They went inside his small house. He offered his father a coffee.

“How… how are you doing?” his father asked carefully.

“Good.” Sungjong replied.

“Are you studying right now?”

Sungjong nodded in response.

“Sungjong.” His father called out. “I want you back.”

Sungjong looked at him. “Why?”

“Because you’re my son. It sounds crazy but… we miss you Sungjong.” He sincerely said and Sungjong won’t lie that he felt sincerity from his father.

“I’m not good at expressing my feelings. But…. I’m sorry Sungjong. I’m really, really sorry. When we didn’t have any contact with you these past few months, I thought that you would eventually come back. Believe it or not, I waited for you. Every day, I hoped that maybe you’ll come back. But you didn’t.”

Sungjong was just listening. His father was sincere this time, he knows it. “I wanted the best for you. I thought, composing your life for you would do you great, but it didn’t. I just turned out as the worst father anyone could have.

He paused. His voice was shaking so he cleared his throat, still putting up a little of his pride. “I promise you son that if you’ll come back to me and your mother, you’ll be the best you. No one will dictate anything to you anymore. I will trust you. I’m your father and I love you.”

Sungjong hugged his father. “I love you too dad. These past few months almost killed me too. I’m worried about you and mother always. And of course, I’ll go back with you.”

“This is a very lovely sight.”

Sungjong was shocked. He turned around to see his mother wiping her tears and smiling. He signalled her to hug him too which she did without hesitating. “We love you son.” They hugged for a few more seconds.

“Now, let’s go back home.”