Chapter 13

I Don't Want To Lose You

Myungsoo got a call that Mr. Kim was discharged from the hospital. He wasn’t really well. In fact, he has days left, but he was discharged to enjoy his last days with his family.

Myungsoo panicked. Up to now, Sungyeol was missing and he kept on making excuses to Mrs. Lee to cover up Sungyeol but the more he lies, the more he feels guilty about him missing. He felt as if he wasn’t covering up for Sungyeol, but for how he treats Sungyeol which caused him to leave.

He searched and searched everywhere. Although he hates the idea of it, but he had no choice but to go back to the places where they use to enjoy each other’s company. Without doing anything, but just talking and talking for hours without getting bored, they get by the day like that.

He went last to the river near their old school. He doesn’t know why, but the air there seems to be so refreshing, that it makes you forget all your worries. That’s where he and Sungyeol usually hang out before going home and facing their problem.

He took a stroll, enjoying the breeze. He forgot his purpose on why he went there, his dying father and everything else that bothers him. He looked for the bench where they usually sit on. When he found it, he also found Sungyeol. Sitting. Crying. Looking at nowhere.

He walked up to him and sat down. “Here you are.” He said. Sungyeol was startled. He quickly wiped his tears. “What do you want?” he quickly acted tough.

“I thought we come here to forget our problems. You’re already here, but it doesn’t seem like you forget it.” Myungsoo said. Sungyeol wasn’t responding. He was just looking at complete nowhere. “I’m sorry.” Myungsoo said.

Sungyeol stared at him. He was surprised. For the first time, he heard Myungsoo apologize. “You must be really in love with Sungjong.” He said. Myungsoo’s eyes widen and stared back at Sungyeol. “What are you saying?”

“You see, you apologized for the first time in years we know each other. You’re only soft when you’re in love.” Sungyeol said. “Wha—YA! Just come with me!”

“No way.” Sungyeol said. He stood up and walked away. Myungsoo ran after him and grabbed his arm. He quickly pulled Sungyeol to his direction and was literally dragging him. “YA Kim Myungsoo! It hurts!” Sungyeol complained. He felt Myungsoo’s hand loosen but still holding his arm.

Sungyeol grabbed his arm off. “Where are we going?!”

“You’ll know when we get there.” Myungsoo was about to grab his arm but he

“I’ll come with you only and ONLY if you tell me where and why.” He said in a straight tone.

Myungsoo sighed. “We’re going home where your father and my father is waiting. C’mon, brother.” He said and dragged him. Sungyeol was speechless. He doesn’t know what happened to Myungsoo but his heart wavered. He felt as if Myungsoo finally opened up to the fact that his father has another family, although not biologically, but it’s Sungyeol.

They arrived at their house. Mr. Kim personally asked for Sungyeol. He asked him to go to his room and that he has something to say to Sungyeol.

“Ahh.. Sungyeol. Come here.” Mr. Kim smiled as soon as he saw Sungyeol. “Myungsoo said that you asked for me.” Mr. Kim nodded, smiling. But his smile faded as he touched Sungyeol’s face.

“My son… You never felt the love of a father. And even I… I didn’t give you that love you wanted.” Mr. Kim said. Their eyes were getting blurry, slowly filling with tears. “I made you into something I wanted. Something Myungsoo wanted.”

“I admit that I have never opened up my heart for you as a son. I realized how wrong I was to leave them whenever I see you. Because you weren’t Myungsoo. The son I love so much and left. I made you into something YOU never wanted. I forced you. I hurt you. But never have I ask you how you feel or what you want. I’m a monster.” He continued.

“I know, saying these now with my own mouth hurts you. I don’t know how to repay the sins… all those things I did to you. I’m really, really sorry. You suffered so much because of me. You are always hurt because of me.”

“I realized how awful I am. You lost Myungsoo, your best friend. The one you rely to the most and I made you feel alone. Am I right?” Mr. Kim said. Sungyeol nodded. His tears were falling down.

“My Sungyeol. You may not feel this as you always see the bad side of me, but I am proud of you. Myungsoo, he never follow or listened to my words about how I want him to be in the future. He always do what he wants. But you, you showed me how you obey your parents. You showed me what a perfect kid is. Without hesitation, you follow my orders.”

“My friends use to envy me for having you, having a kid like you. I was so proud of you, I always brag about you with my friends and colleagues. And I’m sorry that I failed to show you what a father is. I don’t expect you to forgive me. I don’t want you to do so. I don’t deserve to be called father.” Mr. Kim was crying. He carefully stood up from his wheelchair and went to Sungyeol.

“But I want you to remember, that may not be a father to you, but I love you and I will always be proud of you.”

He hugged Sungyeol. Sungyeol hugged Mr. Kim back. He broke down to tears. He still feel anger, but it was slowly fading as Mr. Kim hugs him tighter.

 

This is a hug from a father. Thank you Mr. Kim for making me feel what it’s like to hug you.