Chapter 16

I Don't Want To Lose You

No one saw Sungjong the whole day… for days… weeks… and counting. No one knew what really happened. Whenever the class asks their teachers, they seem to know something but chose not to speak up. Myungsoo didn’t know what to do. “Is it my fault? Is that because of my sudden confession?” a lot of thoughts rumbled up Myungsoo’s mind.

After weeks of staying quiet, one of the teachers suddenly opened up a topic about Sungjong. “The class was curious about what happened to Sungjong and his sudden disappearance and absents. But it was not just sudden absents. The faculty, as well as the school board knows exactly what was going on, only that Lee Sungjong himself chose not to let the school know his whereabouts.” The teacher paused.

Every silent second feels like forever to Myungsoo. He wanted to scream at the teacher to just say it, not make them wait like this, but fortunately, he composed himself not to.

“His family is moving to Canada. In fact, only Sungjong is the one left. He has to fly there as soon as possible because there is an urgent event. But…” he sighed, his face leaves a mark of disappointment, and feel of waste.

“They will move there for good. He won’t be able to graduate with the rest of the class.” He said. The whole class was disappointed. Myungsoo remained frozen, looking down. The class looked at him, knowing what he and Sungjong were. They felt sorry for him.

“I hope you all will keep contact with Sungjong and wish him goodbye as well as good luck. That’s all. Study hard.” The teacher left with those words.

Myungsoo feels crazy. He doesn’t know how to react. He’s not angry either, but he feels like he has been crushed more into powder. On the other hand, Sungyeol felt kind of happy, knowing that he’s not the only one feeling the way Myungsoo does. It may sound bad, but at least someone can understand how he feels.

For days, Myungsoo didn’t go to school. He just cried and cried. For the first time in his life, he felt like this; like he has been run over a lot of times that it hurts so badly.

Sungyeol went to his house. The moment Myungsoo opened the door, he barged in and sat in the couch bringing out his notebooks. “We have an upcoming quiz in two subjects, so you better study. I already did so I’ll leave my notes here.” He said.

Myungsoo just rolled his eyes and ignored him. He walked pass by him. Sungyeol stood up and stopped him, “You have to move on! He’s going to live his life well while you are right here, stopping everything in your world as if you’re dead!” Sungyeol yelled.

Myungsoo moved his hand but Sungyeol held his arm again. “Crying here won’t make everything okay. Why didn’t you just run after him when I told you to?! And now, you’re being like this!”

Myungsoo turned to him. His eyes were blurry and tears were about to fall. “Don’t lecture me. You don’t know how I feel. How it feels like to be rejected!” he yelled his last sentence and moved Sungyeol’s hands off him.

Sungyeol smirked. “What? I don’t know how it feels like? Isn’t what you’re saying right now bullsh*t?”

“What?” Myungsoo glared.

“Have you ever thought of me during those times you make Sungjong fall for you? Have you ever thought that despite knowing me for years, he opened up to you instead of me?” Sungyeol said with a shaky voice. Myungsoo stared at him.

“I’ve been rejected my whole ing life! I’ve always love Sungjong. ALWAYS! And what? He loves you right? Not me, right? I’ve treated him so well that sometimes they thought we’re together. But NO. We’re NOT. He rejected me in a way that he always make me feel like I will always be just a friend and not anything more.”

“What? I don’t know? Then you must be blind enough. Or you might have done it on purpose to hurt me every time I saw you together. Was it fun?” he continued. His eyes were filled with tears now. Myungsoo doesn’t know what to do or what to feel.

“Now, did I stayed home like a ing idiot? No, right? But since you want to just sit there, well then, I’m sorry for being a good friend. Sorry for helping you to at least make your studies okay so that in the future, when you meet, you will be well enough to finally confess again. Sorry that despite my feelings for him, I chose to support you for him. Sorry, okay?! Sorry!”

“Sungyeol…” Before Myungsoo even utter his name, he finally left and slammed the door behind him. He feels awful. “What have I done?”

Everything wasn’t going his way. He went out for a jog during the night. He feels so angry about himself being a jerk again right after they became good friends again. He was crying so hard. He wants to release everything and just scream and scream and scream.

He stopped for a while. He finally found a good spot. He then screamed and said everything he wants to say. “I love you Sungjong! Lee Sungjong, why didn’t you tell me?! Why didn’t you at least say goodbye?! WHY?!” he cried and lay down.

He wiped his tears and sat. He saw a figure behind a tree. He looked at that direction and noticed the guy ran. His vision was still blurry but he knows whenever his heart beat that way, that person he yearns for is near.

 

“Lee Sungjong?”