Chapter 23

I Don't Want To Lose You

Myungsoo woke up in the middle of the night, not feeling well. The house was quiet, it was dark and there was no sign of anyone inside the house. He quickly went to his mother’s room and found nothing. He panicked and went outside. He tried to calm down. He tried not to cry, but there was no use. His tears were already streaming down

He searched the whole neighbourhood; he went to the nearby convenience stores, the park, and the river, everywhere. Still, there’s no sign of his mother. He walked back home thinking that she left him because of what he said. He was really all alone now.

But when he was about to turn to their street, he found his mother. He quickly run to her as fast as he could. “Mom!” he screamed. She turned around surprised.

“Why were you up? What are you doing out here?” she worriedly asked him.

“Where were you?!” he said with mixed worried and mad expression.

“I bought medicines for you. You were burning so I hurriedly went out to buy you something to make you feel better.” She said with a faint smile. He stared at her for seconds. “Why? Are you not feeling well? C’mon, let’s hurry home.”

He just stared at her. Suddenly, he hugged her tight. “I thought you left me too.” He was crying. “Oh. I would never leave you. Remember that Myungsoo.” She hugged him tight too. “I will always be here for you.”

She let Myungsoo cry for a while in her embrace. “C’mon, let’s go home. I’ll cook you something delicious.” They smiled at each other and went home.

...

Sungjong arrived in Canada. He went straight to his father’s office finding him completely healthy. He was with his mother and one man who he somewhat saw somewhere but he can’t remember.

“What’s going on? I thought you told me that dad was in a critical condition?” he calmly asked.

“Sungjong, dear. Sit down first. You just arrived from Korea. You shouldn’t have went straight here.” His mother coax him. They told the secretary to bring him something to eat. “I think it was a great timing to go straight here. What is this? What are your plans? Why did you lie about dad?!” his voice was rising.

His father cleared his throat to stop him. “I’m sorry we lied about me, being sick. But there’s no other way for you to come.” He said. “You know me very well.” Sungjong answered uninterested. “Will I still handle the company?” he added.

“Yes.” His father smiled brightly. “But there is a condition before you do. We know that you’ve been eyeing my position as CEO in our company, that it’s your dream. We’ll make it come true after a year if you’ll comply well on what we want you to do.”

“And what is that condition?” Sungjong was getting worried. He knows his father. He doesn’t make a move that will not benefit him or the company. He makes sure he gets something from it.

“Arranged Marriage.”

“No.” he plainly rejected his father’s offer. He stood up and turned around.

“Is it because of that Myungsoo guy?” his father stopped him from walking. “You know what I can do, right?”

He turned to his father and glared. “Don’t you dare.”

“Sit.”

“No.” he was hard as a rock.

“Sit!” his father’s yell surrounded the room. His mother was signalling him behind his father to do so. Still glaring, he sat down. His father cleared his throat again.

“This is Mr. Lee. He is the CEO of Daesung Group of Companies. He offered investing half of his stocks if you agree on marrying his son who surprisingly likes you.” His father had his wide smile. Not because of someone liking Sungjong, but the idea of the investment.

“Yes that’s true. You will surely like him if you meet him, which I believe will only be in a couple of days.” He smiled back at Sungjong’s father.

“I think it’s meant to be this way. We even have the same surnames. Hahaha!” Their laugh once again surrounded the office. “By the time you meet my son, it’ll be the pre-engagement agreement. We’ll have to make sure you’ll be on good terms for engagement. We don’t want any problems on the day itself right?”

Sungjong wasn’t happy. Myungsoo. That filled his mind right now.

“So, we’ll see you again Sungjong after 2 days. Prepare until then. Go home now and rest.” His father held up a fake smile. He nodded still glaring everyone. He didn’t even bid them goodbye. He even slammed the door. It angers him. He remembers the reason why he left Canada in the first place. They always control him.

He hates everyone now and he’ll probably hate his fiancée-to-be more.

After 2 days, the day he hates finally come. He was waiting inside his father’s office. What he put in his mind was he loves Myungsoo and he doesn’t know what to do if something happens to Myungsoo just because of him. He was facing the windows, looking at the perfect weather.

“Why are you so perfect at a day that I despise so much?” he whispered into thin air.

He heard knocks on the door. “Oh there you are Sungjong.” His father was happy like a fool. He doesn’t see him but he can hear it from his voice. “Mr. Lee is here with me and your fiancée.”

He hates him now. Big time.

“Hello there, Sungjong. This is my son, your fiancée.” Both of them had a huge grin in their lips as if they’re selling their sons. He rolled his eyes and stood up. He turned around and to his surprise, someone he knows well, was his fiancée.

“L…L-Lee..... Sungyeol…”