Chapter 4

I Don't Want To Lose You

The more the truth was being revealed, the more Myungsoo is encouraged to get back at Sungyeol. He trips him when he’s walking, push him when he carry books to the locker and even lock him in the Men’s bathroom.

And as for Sungjong, knowing he’s important to Sungyeol, Myungsoo keeps hitting on him. The more Sungyeol is angry, the more he hits on Sungjong. He enjoys Sungyeol’s anger.

But Sungyeol cannot take it anymore. He once again confronts Myungsoo about it, which went all the way to them fighting. After one punch from Myungsoo, Sungyeol will follow. Their faces were full of bruises and blood. A lot of the students saw it and reported it to their teachers and they were brought to the Principal.

“I want both of your parents here, tomorrow! As for the rest of the week, community service will be charged!” the principal scolded them. It didn’t scare them but the fact that their parents might meet is not a good idea.

Sungyeol, known as the 2nd smartest kid in the school and one of the role models as a decent man in the school, is now one of the known troublemakers. Myungsoo planned it all; to make him angry and ruin this show of his to show his true self. But the parents-sending-to-school part, he didn’t plan it well.

As Sungyeol washes his bruises in the bathroom, Sungjong went it. “Not only your face is ruin.” He said. Sungyeol was surprised about him being there. “What else then?” Sungyeol was playing dumb. “Image.” Sungjong plainly said. “Your image. Remember when you always run to me after feeling pressured and being hurt physically and emotionally at home?”

Sungyeol didn’t respond. “I hope you know what you’re doing.” Sungjong left the bathroom. Sungyeol didn’t know what to feel. It’s as if he’s about to lose Sungjong. But none of it matters. The trouble he caused making both him and Myungsoo’s parents come to school matters the most.

None of them told their parents about it. They serve well for the Community Service without fighting or talking or even glaring. But the principal isn’t going to let this slide. She personally called their parents.

The next day, when Mr. Kim and Mrs. Lee was on the way to the Principal’s office, they accidentally bumped into Myungsoo. Their eyes widen but none of them moved. Mr. Kim was so surprised about seeing Myungsoo in this school. Just 5 years ago, he left them for Sungyeol’s mom. And he doesn’t really know how to feel about seeing his abandoned son unexpectedly.

They turned around and left but Myungsoo stood still. Everything went back into his memories. About crying while running after his dad when he was about to leave, hearing his mom every night shouting and crying, having no attention received at all and most especially, losing that person he tells his problem to the most, his best friend.

He was so mad. He went to their classroom and looked for Sungyeol. He punched him and shouted, “Why did you tell them?! Why do you have to make them come in school?!” he was so mad. He’s holding out his fist, preparing to punch him. “Make who come?!” Sungyeol asked. Myungsoo wasn’t talking and he was just breathing heavily.

“They’re here?!” Sungyeol got nervous and ran outside. Myungsoo ran after him and stopped him. “What do you think you’re doing?!” Myungsoo yelled. “Stopping your dad and your mom to meet.” He answered calmly. “Why? Because your perfect family might be ruined?” Myungsoo said.

Sungyeol stopped running and turned around. “Perfect?” he smirked. “You must be kidding me.” He said. Myungsoo was confused. “You have your complete set of family. My dad had to fill out that missing part of yours!” he yelled. “I’d rather live fatherless than have him as my father!” Sungyeol said. Myungsoo doesn’t know what he was talking about but before he could say something, Sungyeol ran off.

He found his parents ready to leave. “Mom! Wait!” Sungyeol yelled as he tried to stop them from going into the car but the moment he got closer to them, Mr. Kim glared at him. “We’ll talk later.” And they drove off.

Sungyeol was beaten up by Mr. Kim. “What were you thinking?! First, you couldn’t beat that Sungjong for the first place and now, you caused a lot of trouble in your school?!” he slapped Sungyeol. He couldn’t fight back and his mother can’t protect him. He is always left with a choice of taking it all in. “What did I tell you about this? Huh?! I’m one of the most well-respected business man and you, you’re ruining it! I told you to be good didn’t I? I told you it could affect me didn’t I? Didn’t I?!! Answer me, you idiot!” he pulled strands of Sungyeol’s hair and raised his head, “answer me!”

“Y-yes you did.” He said. “What will you do now?!”

“I-I will clean my image.” Sungyeol answered gasping for air. Mr. Kim let go of Sungyeol and went to his study room. His mother hurriedly went to him and tried to hold him but he walked away. “Sungyeol, honey. I—“ He shut the door behind his mom.

He is always treated like this. His life was miserable right after they moved far. He wanted a father but if this is what a father does, he wouldn’t want it in the first place.

He went to school the next day with a sprained arm. He was worse than what happened after the fight. Even Myungsoo’s heart wavered after seeing his state. He wanted to go to him and ask him why he was like that but the inner self of him says to despise him and never treat him the way he used to. Sungjong did it for Myungsoo. He was always there for Sungyeol.

Seeing Sungyeol’s state, everyone’s eyes are now at Myungsoo. They hate him and thought that Myungsoo caused this damage to Sungyeol. But Sungjong didn’t.

Sungyeol has to stay in the hospital for a week until he feels better.

He sits at the table with Myungsoo. Whenever some kids bully Myungsoo, Sungjong protects him. It’s because he knows why Myungsoo was like that, and that it wasn’t him who made Sungyeol’s condition worse. Myungsoo doesn’t know why, but he wants Sungjong to be always there for him.