Chapter 10

I Don't Want To Lose You

“Y-you… You like me?” Sungjong asked. Myungsoo nodded in response. There was a long pause. Suddenly Sungjong laughed so hard. “I don’t think now is the time for you to joke around like that.” He said while wiping his tears from laughing. “C’mon, let’s go back. I’m getting sleepy.” He made an excuse with a yawn.

Both of them can’t sleep. Their backs face each other. Sungjong was thinking about what Myungsoo said. ‘No. It can’t be. I can’t.’ he thought to himself. He took his mind off it and tried to go to sleep. As for Myungsoo, he can’t sleep because he was hurt. He was so hurt. He never thought that that would be his response. He doesn’t usually open up his feelings. Now that he got the strength to do so, the one he likes doesn’t believe him.

‘Let’s just pretend like it was really a joke.’ He thought.

And just like that, the night gets deeper, and they fall into slumber.

The next morning, everyone hopped on the bus. Myungsoo was very quiet, but Sungjong doesn’t seem to be bothered by what he said last night. He was still hyper. Sungjong hit Myungsoo in the shoulder.

“Why are you so quiet?!” he asked.

“N-nothing. Just… have things in my mind.”

“Like what?” Sungjong put both his hands in his chin showing how interested he was. Myungsoo pushed Sungjong’s face back. “You’re so nosy.”

“By any chance… was it…” Sungjong was trying to say something carefully.

“No! Not last night.” Myungsoo exclaimed. “Last night?” Sungjong asked and laughed. “Were you serious? Don’t play with me. I know you were ruining our mood last night.” He laughed again.

“Aisshhh! You just don’t—“ Sungjong stared at Myungsoo waiting for him to complete his sentence. “You just don’t ride with my jokes. You should’ve joked around too.” He said lowering his tone and his head. Sungjong hooked his arm to Myungsoo’s.

“I’m sorry.” He pouted. Myungsoo stared at him. He can’t hold Sungjong’s cuteness anymore. He smiled. “Just ride in every jokes I’ll tell you.” He smiled. And for the rest of the trip, their arms were hooked like that.

Sungyeol was waiting for them in the school. He looked worried and he looks like he’s been crying. The moment he saw Myungsoo get down from the bus, he ran to him. Myungsoo was surprised.

“What are you---“

“You have to come with me. Please.” Sungyeol looked desperate and it looks like he’s going to cry any minute now. “W-why? What’s the matter Sungyeol, tell me.” Myungsoo said shaking him. Just in time, Sungjong got down from the bus.

“S-Sungyeol! What happened? Why are you like that?” Sungjong said in pity. Sungyeol was quiet for a moment. He lowered his head. “M-myungsoo…” his voice was shaking. “You’re father…” he looked up.

“Why… what happened to him? Tell me!” Myungsoo was shouting which caused everyone to look at them. “He had a heart attack.” He said holding in his tears. “He’s in the hospital. W-we got to hurry.” Sungyeol’s voice was weak, shaking in fear and pitying Myungsoo.

They rushed to the Hospital. But before Myungsoo opened the door, he stopped. “Why?” Sungjong asked lightly touching his shoulder. They can hear a very loud sobbing from the inside. “I-im scared to face him.” He said.

Sungjong faced Myungsoo to him and hugged him. “We’re right here.” Myungsoo was surprised. He had butterflies in his stomach and for some reason, like in the swimming competition, he gathered up enough strength to face his father. Sungyeol looked away slowly. “Y-You both go in there. I’ve seen enough heartbreak.” He walked away.

Sungjong break away from the hug and held his hand. “Let’s go.” He encouraged Myungsoo. They went inside. Sungyeol’s mother was crying while holding the hand of Myungsoo’s father. She looked back and found them. She signaled them to come closer.

“Y-you’re father has something to say…” she said and smiled weakly. She went outside.

His father’s eyes were closed. He slowly opened it and gave a light smile to Myungsoo. “You’re so big now. I can’t believe… I left you.”

Myungsoo was holding back his tears.  “Let’s not go back to the past.” He said in a flat tone.

“I’m sorry, son…” his father said. With just those, his heart wavered. “I’m so sorry.” His father was crying. “Please don’t be like this.” Myungsoo said. He doesn’t know why he was so cold. He wants to express his feelings more, but he got used to being so cold, he cant say it even if he knows his father’s life is near to it’s end.

“Myungsoo…”

He looked at his father.

“I…I wanna see your mother.”