Chapter 5

I Don't Want To Lose You

Sungjong noticed that Myungsoo never make friends even before the incidents. But whenever he asks him, he always answers, “Why do I need friends? They just come and go.” And he just leaves.

He took the courage to ask Myungsoo one time. “Would you like it if we’re going to be friends?” Myungsoo just stared at him. He was just staring and he got teary. He suddenly left without answering. Sungjong doesn’t know why but he thought, he must be very sensitive when it comes to friends.

“Hey.” He sat down beside Myungsoo in the cafeteria. “You still haven’t answered my question yet.” Then he pouted. Myungsoo stared at him and Sungjong just keeps on pouting. Myungsoo finally smiled. “Why would you want to have someone like me as a friend?” he asked. “Why wouldn’t I?” Sungjong said.

“That doesn’t answer my question.” Myungsoo answered. “Well, I understand you more than anyone else. And I think it would be nice for us to be friends.” He said.

“You have a lot of friends.” Myungsoo said.

“No, I don’t.” Sungjong argued. “Sungyeol is my only friend.”

Myungsoo stood up, “Then why do you need me then?” and he walked away. “Hey, wait up!” Sungjong yelled. He pretended to fall down. “AHHHHH! My foot. I think it’s bleeding or broken or stuff. AHHHH I CAN’T!” he yelled. Myungsoo hurriedly went back to Sungjong. “A-are you alright?”

Sungjong stuck his tongue out. “That’s why.” He smiled. Myungsoo didn’t respond. Sungjong grab his hand and walked them out the Cafeteria. “We’re going to be late for our next class.” He smiled. Myungsoo smiled back and walked with him.

As the days go by, Myungsoo and Sungjong got a lot closer. Whenever they’re walking, they sometimes push each other and bump someone. When it’s Myungsoo, a lot gets angry and when it’s Sungjong, they let it slide and just bows.

“Why does the school respect you so much? Besides the fact that you’re smart and the president of bunch of stuffs, what else is there?” Myungsoo asked.

“Well, it was 2 years ago when the president of the school had a bet with another school and the bet,” he said as they were walking, “…was this school.”

“A student has to compete with the smartest students of Daesung High. Whoever wins, keeps the school. Luckily, I did.” Myungsoo just nods his head but deep inside, he was so amazed about how Sungjong is so smart that he deserves a lot of what he has now in the school.

They got to know each other better. Myungsoo was finally opening up his heart for new friends. He was so happy to have Sungjong by his side.

Sungyeol got better and was discharged in the hospital. He went home but no one treated him differently. He went to school like he normally would and everyone finally stopped bugging Myungsoo.

Sungyeol noticed how close Myungsoo and Sungjong are. He sometimes drift from them and spent his time alone. He feels unwanted.

Someone hit him from behind. “YA!” he turned around and saw Sungjong and Myungsoo. Myungsoo was looking at a different direction as if they were not there. “Why are you here?” Sungjong asked. He looked back straight to nowhere. “Why wouldn’t I be here?” he simply said.

“You wouldn’t be because I want you to join us.” Sungjong smiled. “What?!” Myungsoo and Sungyeol said in unison. They just sighed and knew what Sungjong wants to happen.

They sat at the cafeteria facing each other. Only Sungyeol and Myungsoo sit beside each other and Sungjong in front of them. “Is this why you asked me to be your friend?” Myungsoo asked in a grumpy way.

“Of course not! I really wanted to be your friend, Sungyeol is my friend, so we three could be friends! Right?” he said. Myungsoo and Sungyeol looked at each other and just raised their eyebrows. Sungjong blocked their eyes with his hand.

“YA! STOP IT THE BOTH OF YOU OR NEITHER OF YOUWONT BE MY FRIEND!” he yelled. They can’t do anything but just followed Sungjong’s order. He was happy about although every now and then, Myungsoo and Sungyeol are bickering.

But it seems like they just can’t be with each other. Myungsoo sometimes hold Sungjong as if he’s just his which makes Sungyeol really angry. Sungyeol talked to Myungsoo again.

“Leave Sungjong alone.” He said.

“What?” Myungsoo wasn’t happy about what Sungyeol said. “I said, Leave him alone.” Sungyeol repeated. “Get your facts straight. It wasn’t me who went to Sungjong. He went to me and we became friends when you weren’t here.” Myungsoo said.

“You’re just trying to get him from me!” Sungyeol argued. “Oh yeah? Well, how does it feels like having someone steal one of the most important person in your life? How does it feels like seeing them happier than when you were with them before? How does it feel like seeing them slowly getting farther  away from you?!” Myungsoo yelled. “Do you like it? Do you like it?!!”

“You can have your dad back! I never wanted him anyway!” Sungyeol said. Myungsoo grabbed him in the collar and pushed him to the wall. “What did you say? Huh?!” his eyes were flaring.

“I said, you can have your stupid dad back.” Sungyeol said. Myungsoo lift him and pushed him to the wall again. “How can you say that to someone who begged him not to leave?! How can you say that to someone who gives importance to someone you said stupid?! How can you say that to someone who longed for him and begging him to come back?!! ” Myungsoo was tearing up.

“I can say that to your face because he never treated me as his son! I never let him be my father! You know why? Because he is always yours!” He yelled. Sungyeol was starting to tear up as well. Myungsoo was loosening his grip to his collar.

“And even if I tried to be his son, he will never treat me as his. He loves you more than anyone and if he had a chance, he would quickly steal you away from your mother!” he continued. “You know why I didn’t tell you about their affair? Because I know that it would hurt you a lot and we might not be friends anymore. You meant everything to me. You became someone so important to me despite knowing each other in a bad way. I wanted to be your friend forever. It might be selfish for me but I was so young and I was so scared.” He was crying now. Myungsoo was just staring at him but he felt his heart tingling and crying in pain.

“If I were to choose, I would want us to be back to where we first met. I hope that we could fight again the way we did because of some girl. I hope we could slowly be friends again knowing that the girl we fought about already has a boyfriend and laugh about it. I wanted to eat ice cream again before we go home.  I wanted to kick the out of someone who will tell us we’re gay and we’re in a relationship.” Sungyeol raised his head.

“I wanted to be how we were 5 years ago. But I think, we won’t be able to.” Sungyeol said leaving Myungsoo behind.