Chapter 25

I Don't Want To Lose You

Sungyeol panicked at the sight of Sungjong crying in front of him. He was crying so hard, but Sungyeol can’t stop himself from saying, “You don’t know how much I love you. I might force you right now, but I know… someday…” he sighed and paused. Sungjong calmed down.

“You’ll learn to love me… more than friends… more than anything we have right now. And if the process needs the arranged marriage, then so be It.” He was firm. Sungjong was left speechless. The fact that Sungyeol didn’t comfort him and just said those words he said, it was all new to him. He then realized he was right.

Sungyeol’s gone.

His best friend is gone.

Sungyeol stood up. But before he could leave, Sungjong stood up as well and stared at him. “You don’t know how hard everything is for me. Who will I talk to when I have a lot of problems? Who will I ask for help when things are getting hard for me? Who will I ask out for a quick walk and bond? I want us to be best friends… because if things get harder for the both of us, I have no best friend who could talk to me and give me an advice.”

He was recalling their memories and looking into Sungyeol’s eyes as if saying that he want Sungyeol to do the same. But he didn’t budge. His expression changed getting firmer.

Sungjong noticed it. “It’s better to lose a partner rather than losing a friend.” He simply said wiping his tears. “Because I can always replace and re-create memories with a new partner… but never with a friend.” He smiled bitterly and walked out.

Sungyeol’s legs turned into jelly. He was hurt because he feels that he was slowly destroying Sungjong for his own advantage. But something inside him tells him that it’s better to lose their best friend status than losing Sungjong. Especially over Myungsoo.

For days, Sungjong didn’t eat. He was always in his room. It wasn’t his intention but everything that is happening to him makes him sick. He was in bed for days… week. The engagement party was near. They have to make sure Sungjong will be better any time now.

“Sungyeol, we need you to convince him to take care of his health.” Sungjong’s mother pleaded, obviously worried about the engagement party slash partnership deal.

Sungyeol simply nodded and went in Sungjong’s room. He slowly approached him and sat on the edge of the bed.

“They told me you weren’t eating. Stop torturing yourself.” Sungyeol said half worried and half commanding. Sungjong didn’t budge.

“Ya. Lee Sungjong!” He took the blanket only to find a shivering Sungjong. He was curled up in a ball. He felt Sungjong’s neck and forehead and he was burning. “Sungjong…” his eyes widened. He hurriedly carried Sungjong into his car, surprising everyone then took him to the hospital.

He was in the hospital bed, resting. His temperature dropped down. Sungyeol stayed the whole time, holding his hands.

“I’m sorry…. I’m sorry that you’re getting sick because of me.” Sungyeol whispered into thin air. He was tearing up. “I can’t see you like this. I don’t want you to suffer… I... I love you Lee Sungjong.”

Myungsoo was still depressed, but he chose to continue living. He told himself that he’ll make sure, he’s worthy enough for Sungjong when they meet again.

As he was strolling down to their house, he passed by quickly to Sungyeol’s house only to find Mrs. Lee. He quickly approached her. Seeing Myungsoo startled her. She tried to run away but it was too late.  Myungsoo already got a grip on her arm.

“Mrs. Lee…. I thought you left?” he was confused. He looked right into Mrs. Lee’s eyes searching for the answer but she was trying to get away. Myungsoo tightened her grip, but not enough to hurt her.

“What’s the problem Mrs. Lee? Where’s Sungyeol? Is there something I should know?” he was asking and at the same time begging for the answer. He was almost tearing. When Mrs. Lee noticed how badly Myungsoo wants to hear her answer and that he won’t leave until he does, she gave up.

“He’s.. he’s in Canada Myungsoo.”

“What? What is he doing there?”

“They…” Mrs. Lee was hesitating. But knowing what Myungsoo is to Sungjong and Sungyeol, she has to stop making Myungsoo a fool and tell him once and for all.

“They’re going to be engaged… Myungsoo… I’m sorry….” Mrs. Lee looked down trying to hide her face pitying Myungsoo.

“They? Who’s going to be engaged? I’m sorry Mrs. Lee but can you… can you clear it out for me?” Myungsoo got a hint that it’s Sungyeol. But he doesn’t want to think that…

“Sungyeol’s going to be engaged with Sungjong. I’m sorry Myungsoo.” She looked away from Myungsoo. He was still confused, puzzled. It hasn’t sinking in yet. It can’t be. How?

“It’s for Sungjong’s family business and Sungyeol’s father’s business merging project. They… they planned it out without Sungjong and Sungyeol… they don’t know anything but right now, I know they already do.” Mrs. Lee spoke ahead to clear everything out for Myungsoo.

“Where… where are they staying… where will the event be… why…. What….”

Myungsoo broke down.

Mrs. Lee cried with Myungsoo knowing how hurt he is. The fact that her son is getting married and being used by his husband made her cry more. She hugged Myungsoo to comfort him. When he managed to calm himself down, he stood up.

“I have to know where they are… please Mrs. Lee. Tell me.” He begged.

She took out her purse and took a calling card. “This is all I know. I’m sorry. But another thing I know, is that you have to hurry up because they might be engaged any minute now.”

Myungsoo bowed to Mrs. Lee. Not even allowing her to respond, he quickly took off. He barged in their house and went directly to his mother’s room.

“Mom. Do you have any cash enough for me to fly to Canada?”

“Wh-what? For what? Why do you have to go there?”

“Mom, please. I have to know. Do you think you have enough money?”

Mrs Kim has to get the answer. “I won’t give you the money unless you tell me why you need it.”

“Because I’ll lose Sungjong any minute now because of his family’s stupid arranged marriage plan then I and Sungjong will be miserable for the rest of our lives!” he exclaimed. “Mom… please.” His voice shook.

Mrs Kim nodded and hurriedly scanned her drawer. “Pack your things, son.” She said without turning her back. She knows how much Myungsoo love him. She has to help her son in the best way she can.

Myungsoo didn’t waste any time. He hugged his mom tight. “I love you mom. Thank you so much.”

She hugged him back and nodded. “I love you too son,” she tapped his back, “Now go.” She loosened their hug and smiled. He smiled back and hurriedly went off his way. He was lucky. He got on to the plane after 2 hours catching up to the earliest flight. As soon as they landed, Myungsoo took a taxi showing the company Sungyeol’s dad was working on.

Sungyeol just finished the meeting his father set up for all the board to know the advantages the merging has. It was also a training for Sungyeol who’ll handle the company in about 3 years or so.

“Congratulations! We know you had it in you. We just hope that you’ll be trained enough in the near future so you could be more successful than your father.” A board member said. Everyone laughed including Sungyeol.

“Yes sir. I’ll do my best to do so.” He smiled brightly.

“That’s the spirit!” His father smiled and wrapped around his arm in Sungyeol’s shoulder. “We know that this fella right here will become the best there is. He’s still young but can you believe that out of 1000 students, he was 2nd. His wife-to-be is the first.” His father was proud of him.

“2nd? He should’ve made it 1st! It’s a lot better if the husband tops the wife.” Another board member joked.

“Nah. What for? As long as I know that there are 998 students below him, what more could I ask for right?” Mr. Lee said. He was really proud unlike Sungjong’s father who hasn’t even praised him for anything.

They got off the elevator and heading out for lunch when they heard shouts from the guard. They seem to be holding someone who managed to run away from them. He got close to Sungyeol and the board members.

He was glaring directly to Sungyeol. The guard held him but Sungyeol signalled them that it’s okay.

“You… you know this right? You were part of the plan!” he was angry. He didn’t want to punch Sungyeol’s face. He was saving it for later.

“Excuse me. Who are you?” Mr. Lee interrupted.

“Kim Myungsoo. The son of the man your wife stole.” He glared.

 

“And Lee Sungjong’s boyfriend.”