Chapter 28

I Don't Want To Lose You

Even in Korea, the news about Sungjong and Sungyeol’s engagement became viral as they were the first two Koreans who managed to top the list of successful companies in Canada. And with the widespread of this news, everyone in the school was very much aware of what happened.

Rumours spread that the reason Sungjong turned Myungsoo down was because of Sungyeol, who also is a heir of a company, and that he wants someone who’s in the same level as his.

Myungsoo was sent countless times to the Principal’s Office because he was always fighting those people who spread the rumours more. He still protected Sungjong. No matter what happens.

He had no choice but to accept that everything will be complicated for the both of them. He tried to fight it, but the more he fights, the more Sungjong will get hurt. He knows it.

He lied down and grabbed his wallet. He took the piece of paper that has Sungjong’s beautiful handwriting.

“If our paths crossed once again, that’ll be our right time.”

It was a different feeling this time. Before, he has this urge to fight for Sungjong, chase him, grab him and hold him so tight to let him know that he will never let Sungjong go. This time, it felt like all he has to do is wait. Wait for that “right time”. He trusts Sungjong. He knows that they will meet again.

Sungyeol stayed at home the whole day. He didn’t help for the preparation of their engagement that’ll happen the next day. He read books all day. He tried to fix his mind into something but every now and then, the face of Sungjong’s face pops out of his mind.

He loves Sungjong so much that no words could ever explain it. He’s going crazy about everything. About Sungjong. If he’ll put his mind into it more, he might probably explode.

He rejected tons of calls from everyone. He wanted to be alone, to think about his life.

That’s when Sungjong’s words echoed in his mind.

“Who will I talk to when I have a lot of problems? Who will I ask for help when things are getting hard for me? Who will I ask out for a quick walk and bond? I want us to be best friends… because if things get harder for the both of us, I have no best friend who could talk to me and give me an advice.”

Their friendship was lovely. It was beautiful. From the very first time Sungjong met Myungsoo, he remembered how Sungjong scolded Myungsoo on his first day. He laughed at that memory.

He then again remembered, his life became so much easier with Sungjong around. Listening to him as he tells all his problems about his step-father who beats him up, how his mother never showed care, how he never really felt he has a father, how Sungjong takes him in when he and his step-father fight, how Sungjong helped him into studying, and how Sungjong make his life meaningful.

He was tearing up.

“I can always replace and re-create memories with a new partner… but never with a friend.”

Sungyeol thought what will happen in the future if Myungsoo and Sungjong continue fighting for their love. He’ll be left alone again. Miserably alone. He’ll be crying and feeling crazy as hell like how he feels right now. Just the thought of it kills him.

He knows the answer… but something inside him wants to continue fighting.

Both Mr. Lees welcomed the guests into the hall which where the grand engagement party will happen. They were both smiling. Each guests admired how lovely everything is and how well prepared it was. Sungjong’s mother was busy preparing everything before the party officially starts.

5 minutes left.

He went to Sungjong’s room where he was looking prettier as ever. He was really a flower boy. Sungyeol was surprised as Sungjong faintly smiled at him. His heart jumped at the sight of it.

“Why is your face like that…” Sungjong asked in a low tone.

“L-like... like what?” Sungyeol returned the question

“Like you’re about to break down.” Sungjong’s face were filled with worry. “You don’t have to pity me. I’ll try to understand that everything we’re doing here is pure business and I’ll keep that in mind.” He explained firmly.

Sungyeol lowered his head down.

“Let’s not talk about how we feel… rather… let’s think that we both didn’t have any idea that everything here was going to happen.”

Sungyeol silently nodded. He offered his hand to Sungjong, which he gladly took. They both head out to the hall where everything will happen, where everything will start and where everything will end… for their friendship.

They stayed outside the hall before hearing the host’s command.

“Let us all welcome, Lee Sungyeol and Lee Sungjong, the future heirs!”

The hall opened welcoming them into a sophisticated venue filled with happy people and fake cheers. Everyone held out their biggest smiles which obviously give off the feeling that they are the walking profits of the company.

They sat down in the table facing everyone who now was sitting quietly. The engagement party slash business meeting started. Both Mr Lees gave their speech and discussed various things that will make both companies successful. Their speech was about to end, slowly approaching the time when they’ll be sooner or later engaged.

Sungjong’s father cleared his throat, “And now, Mr. Lee Sungyeol, may you do the honour of starting this beautiful relationship of our company?” his smile was disgusting and obviously fake. He wanted to hit him in the face so hard.

A staff handed Sungyeol the rings and he put it down the beautiful glass table. He slowly gets the smaller ring, shaking and nervous. Sungjong looked at him filled with worry. “Are you okay?”

Sungyeol nodded. He scanned the room, looking for his father. And when he was able to spot him, he looked at his father directly into his eyes, searching for an answer that he only can make. His father looked at him back, smiling, nodding, giving that signal that everything lies in Sungyeol’s hands.

He slowly took Sungjong’s hand and raising it enough for everybody to see. It was really quiet. They were waiting for him. He looked back again at his father, mouthing “It’s okay.” He was shaking more.

Sungjong’s father cleared his throat. “Are you okay Mr. Lee Sungyeol?” still plastered with that disgusting face. He took a quick look again at his father and to Sungjong’s father. He was staring, suddenly it transformed into glaring. He was taken aback with Sungyeol’s change of expression.

He threw the ring which surprised everyone. He took the other ring and threw it farther. He then look at Sungjong, still with his mad expression to keep up his act but signalling Sungjong to go down from the stage, which he then did.

“I don’t want to do this anymore. I don’t think the company, which its future lays in my hands, will benefit from theirs! We’re the Top Korean Company! I don’t want to merge with any company. If we’ll succeed, we will succeed by ourselves not with the help of some company. Maybe, in the future, we could work with one another, but not together.”

He paused and looked around. Everyone was listening but their faces are still surprised.

“Besides, I don’t even like Sungjong. Why will I be engaged with someone I don’t like?” His acting was good. Everyone believed him and at the same time, they were scared of him. He was serious and his voice was firm.

He then dropped the mic. He went to his father who tapped his shoulder and smiled. “You did great.” They were about to leave when Sungjong’s father angrily grabbed the mic.

“FOOLS! YOU’RE ALL FOOLS I TELL YOU! A TEENAGER IS DICTATING US? ME?! HUH! YOU MUST BE SO STUPID TO FALL FOR YOUR OWN SON, MR. LEE! HE’S NOT WORTHY OF THIS COMPANY WITH THAT ATTITUDE IM TELLING YOU. SOMEDAY, SUNGJONG WILL MAKE EVERYTHING POSSIBLE FOR US!” he shouted.

Sungyeol’s father turned around and glared at him. He angrily marched to the stage where the staffs gathered and tried to calm both of them down.

“Fool?”

He signalled that he’s fine and that they don’t need to calm him down.

“You can call me a fool anytime you want. But if I know that my son is trying to responsible, trying to be a better man, then I will trust him. I am not like you! I may be a fool for my son but let me tell you this. I AM NOT A WORTHLESS FATHER LIKE YOU!” he glared.

“The deal is off.” He threw cheques around and walked out with Sungyeol.