Chapter 12

I Don't Want To Lose You

 

Sungyeol’s always behind the room with his gang. They claimed it as their spot in the room and anyone who will go near their spot will get bullied.

No one really cares about them. No one mind them even if they play loud rock music whenever it’s study hall time. That’s why they give more effort into annoying and bullying others.

When Sungjong was about to go outside the room through the back door, he was stopped by Sungyeol’s gang but Sungyeol wasn’t there. “What do you want?” Sungjong yelled.

“Isn’t it supposed to be us asking that question? I thought we made it clear no one passes this side except us.  It’s our territory!” Dongwoo said, one of Sungyeol’s “friend”. 

“Really? You paid for it? It’s yours? Because the last time I checked, the school owns this, no one cares about you people and you are not well off enough to buy this space.” Sungjong had no choice but to be mean with the boys.

Sunggyu, another member, laughed loud. “Well, well. You’re kind of using your authority right now. Don’t threaten us with that brain of yours. It’s not working.” He said while pointing at Sungjong’s head. “Really? Well, as for you, your brain’s not working.” Sungjong answered back.

Sunggyu was pissed off. He was getting to aim his fist on Sungjong’s face. Sungyeol just got inside the classroom and saw what was happening. He was about to stop Sunggyu but someone did it first. It was Myungsoo. He punched Sunggyu without hesitation. He flew in front of Sungyeol.

Sungjong was stopping Myungsoo from aiming another punch. “Please. I don’t want you to get hurt.” Sungjong was pleading him. With just those words, he calmed down. “You guys are worthless! Picking on someone who can’t obviously fight back. Cowards! You should’ve asked for me. I’ll be more than willing to ruin those faces of yours!” Myungsoo said.

He turned to Sungyeol. “And as for you, we don’t know what the hell happened to you. But your friend almost got hit and you weren’t even protecting him from this stupid gang of yours. You know what? Slowly, you’re becoming as worthless as they are!” He glared and walked out.

Sungyeol was surprised. Myungsoo was right. His friend got almost hit and he couldn’t do anything for him. He was about to, but someone was faster than him. Someone who could really protect Sungjong. Someone who’s not as worthless as he is. He thought.

Sungjong followed Myungsoo outside. He was calming Myungsoo down. “You know, fighting isn’t always the answer. I can fight with words.” He said.

“Words? You were about to get hurt! Words can’t do anything.” Myungsoo argued.

“It can’t protect me. But it can hurt others.” Sungjong said. “Words cause emotional pain. A kind of pain and wound a simple band aid can’t cure. We can recover physically for days. But no one knows how long it will be for you to be okay inside.” He added.

“When it cut you, it bleeds. After it bleeds, it has wound. After those wounds are scars. And this scar is the kind that stays forever. No surgery could make it better.”

Myungsoo got guilty. He called Sungyeol worthless. By then, he knew, he just cut Sungyeol’s heart and it bleeds right now.

Sungyeol isn’t attending classes for days and he was always nowhere to be found. Sungjong and Myungsoo were worrying about him.

“Why don’t we just tell his mother about what he’s been doing?” Myungsoo suggested.

“Are you nuts? It’ll make the situation worse. Not only that he’s going to be more rebellious, but we’ll be hurting his mother more. I mean, his father being hospitalized is bad enough and…”

Sungjong wanted to disappear at that moment. He wants the ground to just eat him. “I-I mean... YOUR father being hospitalized. I mean… everyone’s not in good shape and everyone’s hurt about it… so… we… shouldn’t…” Sungjong was slowly lowering his head.

Myungsoo cupped his face and kissed his nose. Sungjong was startled and at the same time, his heart went crazy. “What-“

“Don’t feel bad. You didn’t say anything wrong. It’s his father, too.” Myungsoo smiled and wrapped his arms around Sungjong. “Now… let’s look for Sungyeol, okay?”

They walk silently. They were both enjoying the feeling and how close they are to each other right now. Sungjong can’t take it anymore. His heart was about to burst any second now. He took Myungsoo’s arm off and faced him.

“By any chance… the thing you told me about during camp. Is it true that you like me?” he bluntly said. Myungsoo was taken aback. He didn’t know how to respond. “Was it?” Sungjong said looking at his eyes directly.

Myungsoo’s heart was beating fast. He grabbed Sungjong’s face and kissed him.

Myungsoo hurriedly run. Sungjong’s mind was blown away. It was just a 1 second kiss but it feels like forever.  Now, Sungjong knows. He loves Myungsoo.