Chapter 11

I Don't Want To Lose You

Slowly walking, as if dragging her feet, Mrs. Kim gets closer to Mr. Kim’s room. She doesn’t know what to say or how to react upon this sudden gathering. Myungsoo held his mom to give her courage and she smiled. They slowly opened the door.

She saw Sungyeol’s mother. When Mrs. Lee saw her she quickly stood up, bowed and tried to leave the room. “No. It’s alright.” Mrs. Kim said. Mrs. Lee shook her head and went outside.

She slowly went to Mr. Kim and sat beside him.

“M-my… my lovely and kind wife…” Mr. Kim said. With just those words, she broke down.

“I.. I have been so unfair… unfair to the both of you. I looked for…. Other’s attention, not thinking enough of your sacrifices…. I never should have left you.” He coughed.

“I should’ve understood how hard it is for you…. To work…. That you have so little time for us… because you’re doing that for us…. I’m.. I’m a bastard. I’m useless. I-I’m… I’m weak… and you fill up these for me… I never had a work once…. When we were together….. i-I’m useless…. I’m useless…….” He cried.

Mrs. Kim was crying so hard while holding Mr. Kim’s hand. Myungsoo wants to be strong but he can’t take it anymore. He went outside and bumps into Sungjong. He was shaking; his eyes were blurry, slowly filling up with tears. Sungjong saw his state and hugged him tight.

“I’m right here. I’m right here always.” Sungjong said comforting him. Myungsoo broke down and cried so hard. His heart was aching so much. It was filled with anger, loneliness, hurt and he felt sorry. The father he used to play with. His father who he can’t afford losing, his best friend, is slowly dying in his eyes.

But not only was him suffering. Sungyeol felt the same as seeing how Sungjong cared for him. He can’t take it anymore. By this time, he knew. He loves Sungjong. But he knew as well, that Sungjong loves Myungsoo.

He went outside. It was raining but he didn’t care. Sungyeol ran and ran. He felt like he was set aside by everyone. He doesn’t have anyone. Not his step-father, not Myungsoo, not Sungjong. He has no one. He ran and cried until he reached his favorite place to hangout. The river. He sat down and thought about how everyone thinks he’s perfect. His life isn’t. He isn’t that handsome, rich kid, 2nd place in the whole school, complete and perfect family and a supportive friend Sungjong. No. He might be 2nd place, rich and handsome. But he wasn’t happy. His family isn’t complete, and also not perfect.

He felt useless. He felt as if he was just a trash in everyone’s life.

“I should probably commit suicide.” He said. But no. He’s smart enough to think that committing suicide will make the situation of everyone right now worse. He’ll make them prepare his funeral, get his body ready for burial, and it’s just bothersome for everyone. That’s what he thought.

Sungyeol went back to the hospital. He saw everyone inside. Hugging and comforting each other. Without him.  “I knew this will happen. Okay. Wish granted.” He turned around and walked away.

They have to attend classes, so despite their father being hospitalized, they agreed to visit him after classes.

“Sungyeol’s nowhere to be found since yesterday.” Myungsoo said. “Yeah. I wonder what happened to him. I’m worried.” Sungjong added.

Myungsoo nodded. He looked at his side and saw Sungyeol from afar, hanging out with the school’s worst group. The kids who doesn’t care about anything, just playing in a band with dark eyeliners and bullying everyone. Kids who goes to school just  cause their parents think it’s better for them to be in it.

“Look, it’s Sungyeol.” Myungsoo tap Sungjong. He was surprised and quickly marched to Sungyeol. “YA! LEE SUNGYEOL!” he shouted. Sungyeol saw them and looked away, talking with everyone again. “YA! Aren’t you going to come with us? What’s with your appearance? Where were you? We’ve been looking for you since yesterday!” he added.

Sungyeol stood up, throwing the drum sticks he was holding. “Looking? Really? The last time I saw you guys, you were fine with everyone. Not a single text or call was from everyone. Looking? What kind of bullsh*t are you putting on right now?” he shouted.

Myungsoo pushed Sungjong back and went forward. “Hey, what’s your problem? HUH!? What’s wrong with you?!” he grabbed Sungyeol by the collar. Sungyeol just smirked and removed Myungsoo’s hands from him. “You guys are fine without me. And as for me, I’m ing fine without you. Now leave me alone or else these guys,” he said while tapping the shoulder of his new friends. “… will probably bother you.” He smirked.

“You’re crazy.” Myungsoo said and turned around. “Weren’t you like this before?” Sungyeol said making him stop walking. “Crazy? Did you realized how crazy you were after meeting Sungjong? Are you happy you finally got everything?” he smirked. Myungsoo turned around glaring. “Oh. The feeling’s familiar right? Well guess what. We’re different. Even if you get everything from me, I will always have someone by my side. I will never be alone. I will never shut everyone down just because I don’t have things I want. I will continue searching for things that are right for me, not things I want for me.”

Sungyeol and his gang walked away, leaving Myungsoo glaring and his fist nearly white from holding back his punch.