Twenty-Eight

The Road To Me

"Why are you staring at me like that? Did you not like the food?"

"No, the food is great."

"Then, why aren't you eating?"

"Because, I never see you look like this, ge."

Yifan swallows the food in his mouth and he stares at the younger. "What do you mean?"

"Well for starters, you are shoving the food like you haven't eaten in ages, and second..."

Yifan furrows.

"...you are smiling, ge. And I know it is not because of the food. Or me."

Yifan blinks, feeling heat slowly rising to his face. "Nonsense." He takes another bite of his plate of pasta. "Stop staring and eat, Yixing."

Yixing nods, lips pursed into a thin line, trying to hold in his smile. He cuts his steak, sticking his fork onto the smaller piece and puts it inside his mouth, chewing it diligently but his eyes still locked at his older brother. He had told Yifan about his break and apologized as he couldn't come home so he was surprised when he got call from the older saying he is waiting outside his apartment block this morning. He was happy of course but it felt, different.

Yifan glances up from his plate and sees Yixing is still looking at him suspiciously, with the same expression since they sat down in the restaurant. Was it so weird of him visiting his little brother at his school? They are brothers after all. He can miss the younger.

"Ge."

Yifan wipes his mouth with the napkin, fixing his posture and leans to the back of the chair, staring straight at his little brother. "What?"

"Are you sure about staying here? I mean, we met and you can see I am perfectly fine so I am totally okay if you want to leave today." Yixing sips his drink, smiling when he put back the glass on the table. "Won't Joonmyeon be lonely?"

Yifan takes a deep breath before exhaling it softly, facing Yixing. "Why would he be?"

"Because..."

Yifan sighs at the smirk on the younger's face. Was he really that obvious? He thought he had hide it perfectly. He looked the same as always when he checked himself in front of the mirror this morning. He didn't flinch when Jongdae reminded Joonmyeon about his leaving during their breakfast. He had told Joonmyeon about his plan to visit Yixing and Joonmyeon just smiled when he told him to have fun with Yixing, silently turning down his unspoken suggestion to come with.

Yixing finishes his drink, eyes scans all the empty plates on the table. They are just two people but Yifan had ordered enough for four more of them. And the way his older brother finished all just amazes him. Yifan is that happy, huh? He looks up when a waiter hands them their bill and the bracelet on Yifan's wrist as the older opens his wallet catches his eyes again. He smiles. Joonmyeon is really something.

"Let's go."

Yixing nod, following behind his older brother as they exit the restaurant. His eyes stop at the broad back and inhales. He doesn't think it was that long since he last saw Yifan but somehow Yifan looks like a different person now. They are small changes but he notices every one of them. The way Yifan talks, they way he stands tall and the way a small smile somehow manages to creep on the older's face every time he looks at him. And all of that because of that bracelet. "Ge."

Yifan hums a response, stepping closer to the younger.

"I'm really glad, you know."

Yifan turns his head fully, facing Yixing that has his attention up front, the corners of his lips curved upwards, waiting for the next word as they walk along the sidewalk.

"Everything worked out between you and Joonmyeon. To be honest when I saw you earlier, I thought you had run away from home or something." Yixing stops in front of a watch store, looking at his brother. "You know I'm always on your side, right?"

Yifan takes in the small smile Yixing had offered and he breathes out, watching the younger pass by him to enter a shop they were standing behind. He follows after, mind playing Yixing's last words as he steps into the shop. His mind quickly went to Joonmyeon as he listened to the younger telling him about his break over the phone and he knew he has to explain everything to Yixing. He always tells the younger that no one can take his place in his heart and he still feels the same. It just now, he has to share that place with Joonmyeon.

Yixing smiles, eyes land on Yifan that is leaning against one of the glass cases near the door. His watch had died for a few weeks now but he was just to lazy to go out and get it fixed and he had rushed back to his room, fetching the watch when Yifan said they are going out to eat. He moves from his place from the counter and waves his hand in front of the older, wanting to get Yifan's attention as he seemed to have lost in his thought.

Yifan blinks when he notices his little brother is practically just inches away from him and he fixes his posture, weight on both his feet as he stares at Yixing. "What is it?"

"Nothing." Yixing smiles, placing his palm on the glass case of watches. "That one is nice."

Yifan looks down inside the glass case and a small leather watch is right underneath Yixing's finger. It isn't that small but it would fit perfectly around Joonmyeon's slim wrist. "Joonmyeon likes chain ones."

Yixing blinks in disbelief at what he just heard and slowly turns to his older brother, expecting to see a blushed Yifan, but the older doesn't seemed to realize what he just said as he keeps staring at the case. Yifan isn't that kind of a person who show their emotions or affections openly but right now anyone can see that blissful expression on the older's face. They might wonder why but Yifan is his older brother. He knows him and the silver bracelet with a dragon pendant hanging from it was a dead giveaway.

"Sir."

Yifan lifts his face at the voice and sees his little brother walking towards the staff behind the counter, a watch in front of him. He gives Yixing a small nod when the younger shows him his fixed watch before turning back to the staff, talking about something. He heads towards the door after his little brother bid the staff farewell, holding the door as he lets Yixing exits the store first.

"It is much better than having to fish out the phone for time."

Yifan smiles, watching the younger turning his arm back and forth with eyes fixed at the watch around his wrist as they continue walking. "Do you have anything else to fix?"

Yixing rolls his eyes at the question. "No." He huffs as a small chuckle reaches his ears. Yifan already gave him a lecture about stalling things but really, going out just to get his watch fixed isn't that worth it. "But, I do need books." He stops, tilting his head and jerking it out a little. "There is supposed to be a bookstore around here."

Yifan stands still at his spot, his eyes following Yixing that has left him to walk away, head turning around left and right. He sighs as starts doing the same, scanning his surrounding for the bookstore in question as Yixing walks back to him.

"I don't see it." Yixing takes Yifan's hand and pulls the older to walk, passing a few stores along the way. "Let's try over..."

"Wait."

Yixing turns around and feels the slight tug in his hand before Yifan's wrist isn't in his hold anymore, watching the older disappear into a shop several steps behind. He follows and he can see Yifan talking to a staff from the big glass window displaying varieties of small accessories. He smiles. He can wait.

 

 

 

+ + + + +

 

 

 

"It's already late. Shouldn't you go to sleep?"

Joonmyeon lifts his chin, eyes following Jongdae that is walking to the sofa before stopping at the coffee table, gathering the empty glass and plates on it. "What time is it?"

"Eleven-thirty." Jongdae straightens his back, glancing at his young master that seemed suprised at the information. Joonmyeon has been in his study right after dinner, doing the same thing since the last two hours he saw the older when he brought some snack to the study room earlier. He moves to the sofa and fluffs up the cushions on it, eyes still locked at Joonmyeon. "Hyung."

"Hm?"

"I thought the new project already settled."

"It did."

"Then what are you..." Jongdae stops his trek behind Joonmyeon's chair and sees printouts and leaflets cluttering the large desk. He picks up one that has dropped on the floor and reads it through, smiling at the words printed on it. "Can I choose somewhere to go too when you guys leave me?"

Joonmyeon jerks in his seat and quickly turns around, eyes blown wide when he notices the leaflet in Jongdae's hand. He snatches it away, trying his best to ignore the smirk playing on the younger's face as he turns back to his desk. "We are not going anywhere!"

"Of course you are not." Jongdae walks to the bookshelf near the sofa and collects the books that were on the side table, putting it neatly in its place. It is not even a day yet since Yifan left this morning but Joonmyeon already misses the Chinese male. "I told you to go with him." He dusts off the last book and aligns it with the rest before walking back towards the older that is still hunched over his desk. "He wanted you to come with, you know."

Joonmyeon looks up, staring at the younger standing across him. "I know." He purses his lips when Jongdae crooks an eyebrow at him. He saw the hopeful glint in Yifan's eyes, wordlessly asking him to come with, after he told him about his plan but he had to decline. He wanted to come, and he could feel that Yifan knew he wanted too, but he knew how Yifan must have missed his little brother and it is unfair to Yixing if he has Yifan for himself.

Jongdae exhales when Joonmyeon breaks their gazes and starts cleaning the paper-covered desk. It is one thing about his young master that he loves and hates at the same time. Joonmyeon always puts other people before himself and of course the doesn't have anything against that but being selfish once in a while won't hurt anybody, considering how much have Joonmyeon done for those people around him. "So..."

"Hm?"

"...have you picked a place yet?" Jongdae stares down at the older, doesn't miss the how Joonmyeon's eyes blinking in embarassment before darting his attention to a leaflet in his hand. He leans forward, eyes catching several bold-printed words on the paper. "Seaside resort, huh?" He doesn't receive an answer but the small smile on the older's face says everything.

"The place looks beautiful..." Joonmyeon turns the leaflet around and a picture of sunset over the horizon greets him. "I don't even remember the last time I went to the beach."  He looks up at Jongdae and the younger just shrugs at him, his hands busy organizing the rest of the printouts.

"But you know hyung..."

Joonmyeon hands over the leaflet when the younger holds out his hand and scans all over the paper. He raises an eyebrow when Jongdae seems disapponted by what he is looking. "You don't like it?"

"The view at the summer house is much more beautiful than this."

Joonmyeon blinks as Jongdae places the leaflet back in front of him before walking towards the sofa. He watches the younger lifting the tray of empty plates and heads towards the door, pausing a moment to glance at him.

"But I guess the view doesn't matter when you are with someone you love." Jongdae steps out from the study room. "Anyway, you should go to sleep, hyung."

Joonmyeon purses his lips as the door closes and his mind lingers on Jongdae's words. His family owns a summer house by the beach and although it has been a while since he visited, he still remembers how the view from the balcony looks like. His late uncle has his own summer house and both their families would take turn to visit each other places but when it was their turn, he would be sitting in the balcony with Jongin and they would draw the view of the night sky and arguing about whose drawing was the best afterwards. And now, Yifan is his family too. He should take Yifan there, at least once.

"Hyung."

Joonmyeon jerks his head up to see Jongdae entering the room and he furrows when he notices the worried expression on the younger's face. "Jongdae, what is wrong? Did something happened?"

Jongdae stops a few feet from Joonmyeon's desk, staring straight at his young master. "There is someone here..."

"Someone?" Joonmyeon glances to the small clock on his table. It is almost half past midnight. Who would come this late? "Who?" He watches as Jongdae goes back out before a familiar figure comes into his view. "Kyungsoo?" He gets off from his chair and walks towards the younger, looking over his shoulder at Jongdae that is standing by the door frame. "Where is Jongin?"

Jongdae shakes his head. He was surprised to see Kyungsoo when he went to answer the doorbell. He looked around for Jongin and asked Kyungsoo about the younger but Kyungsoo wouldn't say anything.

Joonmyeon stares at Kyungsoo that has his head down all this time before looking at Jongdae. "Can you bring some water?" He watches as Jongdae closes the door and he puts a palm on Kyungsoo's back, guiding the younger towards the sofa at the corner of the room and takes a seat next to him. "Kyungsoo, look at me."

Kyungsoo slowly lifts his head, eyes meeting with Joonmyeon's that are full with concern. Maybe he was wrong to come here. But he doesn't have anyone else to turn to.

"Kyungsoo, why are you here? Where is Jongin? I thought you guys..."

"I didn't go with..." Kyungsoo purses his lips. He knows Jongin had told Joonmyeon about him being away for a while and of course Joonmyeon had thought he would go with Jongin. They are a married couple after all. He didn't even turned up at work. But Jongin went all by his own this time, leaving him alone, with only a goodbye kiss and no explanation. It has been a few days since Jongin left and he has been thinking a lot about it but he wasn't sure. And even now as he is sitting right in front of Joonmyeon, he still has doubt about it. "Hyung..."

Joonmyeon locks his gaze at the younger's forlorn expression. It is something he has gotten used to but not like this. He can almost see the heavy feeling that wrapped around the younger. He takes Kyungsoo's hand and brings it to his lap, his breath hitches at the view before him. "Kyungsoo, what... is all these..."

Kyungsoo stares at Joonmyeon's thumb that is tracing an almost healed cut on his arm. He glances up and the same worried eyes greet him. "Your words..."

Joonmyeon looks up to face Kyungsoo and the younger's eyes are staring deep right into him.

"Your promise... was it all lies?"

Joonmyeon blinks as Kyungsoo's words sink into him. There is a promise he made to Kyungsoo, at the same time to himself. It has been a while since that day he offered the younger his words of comfort and it had moved to the back of his head as he thought it will never happen. He gazes back down at the bruised arm in his hold and he knows he has to fulfill that promise no matter what.

Kyungsoo bites down his lips, trying to hide the tremble it makes when Joonmyeon shakes his head and slowly pulls him closer, wrapping a secure arms around his body. He knows how Jongin will react to his decision but he doesn't have any other way. This is the best for both of them. "Jongin..."

"I know." Joonmyeon brings his hand up, caressing Kyungsoo's dark lock but he pauses, when his eyes catch his wedding ring between the strands. And Jongin's last words that day echo.