Thirteen

The Road To Me

"Kyungsoo."

Kyungsoo blinks at the voice calling his name, slowly lifting his head from his arms before rubbing his eyes. He doesn't remember when he fell asleep.

"Hey, are you okay?"

Kyungsoo looks up and quickly stand when he realized it was Joonmyeon calling him. "Hyu... hyung!"

Joonmyeon watches as Kyungsoo fixes his clothes nervously. "Are you okay?" He sees the younger nods at his question. "Are you sure? You look unwell."

Kyungsoo nods again. "I... I am fine. I... I'm sorry I fall asleep. It won't happen again. I promise." He stares at Joonmyeon. Will Joonmyeon tell Jongin about this? But Jongin cannot know. "Are... are you looking for me, hyung?"

Joonmyeon stares at Kyungsoo, believing his words before nodding. "I need the file for the maze house. Is it done yet?" He looks down at Kyungsoo's desk. Papers and files and sketches are scattered, covering the furniture.

"Ah! The maze house! It is done! It is here..." Kyungsoo lifts the bunch of papers and sort it to the side. The maze house project. It is in the blue file, right? Or green? He glances at Joonmyeon, hands still searching for the said file. The older is looking at him, waiting patiently but is it really what it looks like? It is the first time Joonmyeon caught him sleeping and the older might tell Jongin about it. He bites his lips. Please, don't tell Jongin.

Joonmyeon watches Kyungsoo keeps pusing a stack of files and papers to one side only to push it back again. He notices the younger glanced at him but when their eyes met, Kyungsoo quickly avoided his gaze. "Hey, it's fine." He picks up one of the sketches that fall on the floor. "Look for it slowly." He looks at the sketch in his hand. It is an office building that he doesn't remember telling Kyungsoo to do. "What is this?"

Kyungsoo pauses, snapping his head to look at Joonmyeon and his eyes widen. Joonmyeon is holding his assignment. No.

Joonmyeon lowers the sketch and see Kyungsoo is trembling with eyes staring straight at him. "Kyungsoo?" He watches the younger lowering his head, bowing to him.

"I... I'm sorry... I..."

Joonmyeon steps closer, putting down the sketch on the desk and straighten Kyungsoo's body but his head is still looking down at the carpeted floor. The younger's actions today is puzzling him. "Hey, look at me."

Kyungsoo swallows, slowly lifting his head to look at Joonmyeon. The older is looking at him with worried on his face. He purses his lips. He made Joonmyeon worry too, like Jongin.

"Now tell me, why are you apologizing?"

"I... I know I shouldn't bring anything else here but, I had... the professor..."

The title made Joonmyeon realizes that something he forgot about the younger. Kyungsoo is still in school, still studying to become an architecture and working for him is only a side thing. That explain a lot of things.

Kyungsoo glances at his sketch that is on his desk. The dateline for the sketch assignment is near and he has been sneaking to finish it during his working hours even though he promised himself to keep working as Joonmyeon's assistant and his study separate.

Joonmyeon releases his grips on Kyungsoo's shoulders and stare at the younger's face. Kyungsoo looks tired and pale. He knows how it feels to be working and studying at the same time as he was once like that, helping his father occasionally when he needs his help but that was it. He wasn't his father's assistant like Kyungsoo. Jongdae's words play in his mind as he watches as the younger tidying his desk. "Kyungsoo."

Kyungsoo lifts his chin and meets with Joonmyeon's eyes. He still hasn't found the file that the older needs. Will Joonmyeon tell Jongin about his incompetence? But Jongin cannot know.

"Let's take a break." Joonmyeon glances at his wrist watch and looking back at Kyungsoo. "I'm going to meet with Jongin later over lunch. Why don't you come with?"

Kyungsoo blinks. Joonmyeon is going to meet with Jongin? But Jongin told him this morning that he will be out of town for the rest of the day. Is Joonmyeon lying to him to make him feel better? Because Jongin never lie to him. He watches Joonmyeon picking up the rest of the papers on the floor.

Joonmyeon straighten his back, hands full with files and papers and see Kyungsoo is staring at him. He puts down the files on the desk. "Are you ready to go?" He waits for an answer but the younger isn't moving with eyes still locked at him. "Kyung..."

"It's fine, hyung." Kyungsoo inhales. He doesn't know if Joonmyeon is telling the truth or not but he knows Jongin never lie to him.

Joonmyeon furrows. He notices the changed tone in those words as he watches Kyungsoo streatching his body, hand reaching for the sketches at the other end of the desk and something shiny catches his eyes. "That is really pretty."

Kyungsoo pauses and glance at Joonmyeon, before following the older's gaze that is looking at the necklace that is hanging down over his neck.

"A key. It's..." Joonmyeon couldn't continue as he watches Kyungsoo nervously hiding the necklace inside his shirt. His eyes follow the younger as he takes a seat on his chair. Did he wasn't supposed to know about the accessory? He waits as the younger sorts out the files and papers before looking down at the red file that being offered to him.

"The maze house project."

Joonmyeon stares at the file and his eyes catch the purple-ish mark on Kyungsoo's arm. He takes the file from the younger's hand. "Have you been to the doctor yet?" He watches as Kyungsoo lifts his head with furrowed brows, staring at him. "Your bruise..."

Kyungsoo looks down at his own arm and his eyes widen. The bruises. He bites his lips. Joonmyeon saw. He brings down his arms slowly, hiding it under the desk and shakes his head. "No... not yet..."

"Do you want me to take you?" Joonmyeon sees Kyungsoo shaking his head, rejecting his offer.

"I'm... it's fine, hyung. I'm fine."

"Are you sure? We can go now if you want. I still have time..."

"No!" Kyungsoo quickly covers his mouth, realizing his sudden outburst and looks up to face Joonmyeon. The older is staring at him confuse plastered on his face. He stands up, eyes fixed at Joonmyeon. "Ah... I... I'm sorry... I didn't mean..."

Joonmyeon listens as Kyungsoo keeps apologizing to him. It has been a while since they work together and that was the first time he saw Kyungsoo acting like that. The younger really is acting strangely today. "Kyungsoo." He meets with the younger's eyes. "I'm sorry."

Kyungsoo blinks.

"I wasn't trying to pry on your life. It just..."

Kyungsoo sees a smile slowly forming on Joonmyeon's face.

"...we are family first than collegues. You can tell me anything, you know that."

Kyungsoo nods when Joonmyeon excused himself and start walking toward the door. He inhales. He know that, that they are family but because of that he can't tell Joonmyeon anything. Joonmyeon might tell Jongin about it and he can't risk that. He still need Jongin by his side until 'that' time come. "Hyung."

Joonmyeon pauses, hand on the door handle and turn to face Kyungsoo. "Yes?"

"Are you happy with Yifan hyung?" Kyungsoo notices Joonmyeon's eyes widen at his question. He knows it was an arranged married for Joonmyeon and Yifan, just like him and Jongin, that there is no love involves in the relationship but the similarity stops there. If Joonmyeon knows the real reason Jongin chose him, the reason why they got married, the older would be disappointed, disgusted by him.

"Why..." Joonmyeon notices the seriousness on Kyungsoo's face and his eyes soften, letting his mind wandering around the question. Is he happy with Yifan? He focuses back to the younger. "Are you? With Jongin?"

Kyungsoo exhales. Jongin has only show him nothing but kindness and he knows the smile Jongin has when he is with him isn't fake but he couldn't afford to be happy with Jongin. His situation won't allow it because 'that' time will come and he has, no, he must cut everything that ties them together. He sees a small smile forming on Joonmyeon's face as the older staring back at him.

Joonmyeon inhales. "I am. He's..." He closes his eyes, remembering what happened several nights ago and open them back, fixing his gaze at the younger. "...a good friend."

Kyungsoo purses his lips, eyes watching his office door being closed. He cluthes his bruised arm. Friends. He and Jongin can't even become that.

 

 

+ + + + +

 

 

Jongin lets a long sigh, leaning deeper into his chair. He glances at Joonmyeon that is collecting the papers on the table and putting it inside a brown envelope. Although everything didn't go as he planned, at least the same thing happen to his cousin too. He couldn't complaint, it was his father and uncle's plan though, making sure that he and Joonmyeon get the same, fair share of the company they both built. His father was that kind of person, you reap what you sow.

Joonmyeon shifts his gaze from the envelope in his hand to Jongin that is holding his phone, typing something on it. He locks his sight at the younger. He's really glad his little cousin didn't make any scene during the meeting with the lawyer earlier, unlike the first time the will being read. His father and uncle really only had him and Jongin in their mind when they made that will, that they hope their children will always support each other as a family, just like when they were little kids. He sighs. Things are different now and he could imagine the disappointed look on their faces if they were here right now.

Jongin turns to face Joonmyeon after he heard a faint sigh coming the older. He doesn't know what his cousin was thinking but he could guess it probably has something to do with him. He noticed the glances Joonmyeon kept throwing at him during the meeting, as if keeping him in check in case he make a scene like last time, and he wanted too but that would resulting with the meeting being postponed and he can't have that. He just want for it to be over and he can go back to Kyungsoo.

"Are you going home now?"

Jongin stares at Joonmyeon and looks down at his wrist watch. 4.20. As much as he wants to, he can't. Not now. He doesn't want Kyungsoo to think he is lying to him. He just need to find a place to waste his time until late evening. He looks back at Joonmyeon and shakes his head. "Are you?" He sees Joonmyeon nods.

"I still have some work to do." Joonmyeon stands up, fixing his clothes and looks at Jongin. "I can't let Kyungsoo work alone."

Jongin's eyes widen as he watches his cousin start walking toward the door and he abrutply stand up. "Hyung!"

Joonmyeon turns. "Hm?"

"I... ah... How about some coffee?"

Joonmyeon furrows. Did he heard it right? His little cousin want to have coffee with him? "What?" He watches as Jongin walks to him before stopping in front of him. "Why..."

"I don't want to hangout alone." Jongin looks at his cousin that is staring at him with wide eyes, probably shocked at his answer. It has really been a while since they go out together and he couldn't lie to himself that he didn't miss it but today's invitation has nothing to do with that. He is not going to let Joonmyeon blurts out this little meeting of theirs to Kyungsoo. "I'm buying. Are you coming?"

Joonmyeon nods slightly, feet start following Jongin toward the door. He fixes his gaze at the back view in front of him and he couldn't hold back the smile that slowly forming on his lips, mind playing back the memories of the time when hanging out with Jongin is a daily thing. He, Jongin and Zitao would always have something to do. Whether disturbing Jongdae while the younger was baking cookies for them or having a bike race in the middle of the night, the three of them were always together. But everything changed when his uncle died and he knows it's partly his fault that Jongin become so distant.

Jongin takes a seat and signals the waiter to come to their table. He gestures to Joonmyeon to order for him and watches as the waiter disappear behind the kitchen door before looking at his cousin that has a smile on his face. "What is so funny?"

"Hm? Nothing."

"Then, why are you smiling like an idiot?"

Joonmyeon chuckles. He couldn't be mad at Jongin for calling him that because he is an idiot now. A happy idiot that hoping this won't be the last time Jongin invite him for a coffee just to hangout. He watches as his little cousin busies himself with his phone and he exhales. Jongin has become a man without him realizing it and he couldn't help feel disappointed at himself for not being there by the younger's side all those years.

Jongin shifts his gaze from his phone to the waiter that is putting a glass of Americano in front of him before putting a bowl of ice-cream sundae in the middle of the table. He stares at the dessert before looking at Joonmyeon that is sipping his drink. The older still hasn't change. To him, coffee is a drink and not a dessert.

Joonmyeon scoops some ice-cream and eats it, smiling at Jongin that is staring at him blankly. He knows the younger still has his sweet tooth and he just has to wait for Jongin to pick up the other spoon and start eating. "Are you going to be award ceremony tomorrow?"

Jongin puts down his glass and shifting into more comfortable position before looking at Joonmyeon. "What award ceremony?"

"The Young Entrepreneur Awards."

"Why would I go?"

Joonmyeon blinks. "Why? Because we both..."

"It was you who works your off for that company. I'm just the spoiled kid that spends the money made by you." Jongin cuts the banana that is under the scoops of ice-cream and spoons it into his mouth, ignoring the stare Joonmyeon gave him. Apparently the person that sent the invitation card to him didn't know about their family problems and just invite him because he is one of heirs of the company.

Joonmyeon inhales. Jongin shouldn't said that. Even if it is true, he is still a part of the family, the heir of their fathers' company. He doesn't want people talk badly about his little cousin when they didn't see him at the ceremony tomorrow. "But, you should still come. What would people say..."

"They can say anything and I don't care." Jongin takes a sip of his drink. "And you shouldn't too because they will be talking about me and not you." He leans back to his chair. "They know I'm the useless heir that did nothing to help the company."

"That is not true!" Joonmyeon purses his lips. "You asked Kyungsoo to help me. You..." He pauses as he sees a smirk on Jongin's face.

"I did but it was to help Kyungsoo, not you."

Joonmyeon takes a deep breath. He really want say more but Jongin seems like he won't say anything else about the matter and he couldn't do anything about that. He finishes the sundae as his eyes lock at the younger. "You should take Kyungsoo to the doctor."

Jongin stares at Joonmyeon. What is the older mean by that? "Why? Did something happened to him at work?"

Joonmyeon shakes his head before wiping his mouth. "I saw a bruise on his arm. It looks like it hasn't been treated. I offered to take him earlier but he refused. And of course you should be the one taking him there."

Jongin bites his lips, eyes watching his cousin taking a sip of his vanilla latte. Joonmyeon saw. He always tell Kyungsoo to cover them properly, so know one would know about it and now of all people, the one that they has been trying to hide it from know about it.

Joonmyeon blinks when Jongin suddenly stood up, looking down at him. "Jongin?" He notices the changed expression on the younger's face.

"Are you done?" Jongin sees Joonmyeon nodding at his question and he walks toward the cashier counter. He doesn't care if Kyungsoo thinks he's lying to him. He needs to see Kyungsoo right now.